• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
Love to hear it. I feel like an outlier but XVI might be my favorite FF game. Started the series in 1998 with VII and have played all the numbered entries (except XI). Feels odd/surreal to be 34 and say that the newest game in a series I've been playing most of my life is my favorite. XVI is just one of those games that speaks to my soul.

Hell yeah! Adored every second of my playthrough and it immediately became one of my top 3 entries.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I work with a rotating cast of undergrads and XVI was the first time I heard any of them express interest in the series. The game didn't ultimately work for me, but it's got a lot going for it, and I'd be happy as hell if it did successfully bring more people in.

Remake/Rebirth definitely feel like they're seen as a bit of an old person thing, understandably.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
average FF7 Rebirth player

uIx6MfVztGs1tOVOlAXkxQMWt5obskz7l1tBH-vQayY.png

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the beginning of the game and hated it by the end. It just got too boring and the side quests took too long to be any good. I'm having a much better time with Rebirth, but I know my nostalgia is a factor.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Now the question is are they going to capitalize on it? Is 17 going to be something widely different again or something more familiar to those who liked 16? How long is it going to take to come out?

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Also interesting bit is that this does kinda soft confirm that FF as a franchise has been trending older and older.
Something people in the other thread have also tried to substantiate with other incidental data but it wasn't really possible to absolutely say that it was true.
But this seems to basically say yeah what people have been observing tracks.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, they're comparing the survey demographics compare to last survey not the sales demographics vs previous titles.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Now the question is are they going to capitalize on it? Is 17 going to be something widely different again or something more familiar to those who liked 16? How long is it going to take to come out?
I think there's some hope they're already in pre-prod, give what we've seen with the writer of Shadowbringers and Endwalker after the latter released.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The younger players will be in their 30's by the time FF17 comes out

senbon

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope Square doesn't double down on the rape and bullshit because this did well
Unfortunately, FF7 Remake is carrying this torch. Whilst I haven't played Rebirth, I hear they brought back both Corneo and the trio. Blows my mind that out of every game I've played, FF7 Remake is the one that gave me panic attacks.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Oh boy this is going to ruffle some feathers.

i am curious if Rebirth tended to be more for the older population.
It's a remake of a VERY old game that released over 20 years before the FF7Remake was released and is all about nostalgia. So...yeah, it is definitely aimed at a much older audience.
I'd guess that the average age of people playing FF remakes are somewhere around 25-35.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I don't get this reasoning. If FFXVI is the game that was successful in renovate the fanbase, how the hell the obvious decision here isn't to double down on that?

It feels like their position is to just send generic good news without any kind of compromise lol
Because it's Final Fantasy and Square Enix. That's all you need to know.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
That's good! Even as someone who is critical of FFXVI and prefers VII Rebirth, what FF needs is to build its fanbase especially with younger players.

Honestly I think the bones of FFXVI are great and if they decide to iterate on the combat found there while expanding on the scope of the game to feel more like an adventure (no more picking spots on a world map!) or make you feel more closely connected to the political conflict they could have a killer game on their hands.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
Great news! I'm down for having an older protagonist like Clive and it shows that it won't hinder new players.

Persona really should think about upping the age of their characters too. Going through the lives of teenagers is getting a bit boring.
Also make them more realistic as characters. Not talking about design, because FF is still very anime, so that will be reflected in the art style, but I feel like Clive's personality is perfect for a modern protagonist.
Not overly serious or extremely goofy, surprisingly emotional (shoutout to Ben Starr for that fantastic performance) and not snarky, quipy or sarcastic.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Smart for the long term viability of the IP. There will always be remakes or spinoffs that can embrace the traditional, turn based combat.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I now wonder what XIV's demographic is like. I imagine one of the goals for SE is to try to get the XIV population into the new single player titles, since I imagine it being a MMO means the population must skew younger than, say, the FF7 crowd. It has to have been one of the major reasons that SE was getting CBU3's name everywhere during XVI's marketing, while not doing the same for the other studios.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the series continuous decline, that was at the expense of everyone else then. Please give us a PR update, it can't be still at 3M several months later.
I wonder what they can do to make the IP gets huge again, sure it'll never reach 7/8/9 popularity but they can try getting close.
Looks like next one need to be (true) open world for a start, and maybe even multiplayer.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I now wonder what XIV's demographic is like. I imagine one of the goals for SE is to try to get the XIV population into the new single player titles, since I imagine it being a MMO means the population must skew younger than, say, the FF7 crowd. It has to have been one of the major reasons that SE was getting CBU3's name everywhere during XVI's marketing, while not doing the same for the other studios.
I know that among the younger people that I've worked with, XIV just is "Final Fantasy" to them. Like, if I were to say I was playing Final Fantasy after work, they wouldn't ask me which one, they'd say "oh I play that game" and start talking about XIV.

So if SE got more of those people to try out XVI, that's good.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I disagree, I think the demographic for an MMO skews much older. Sure kids have more time for MMOs in theory but adults have much more income to play consistently and a small enough amount of time to make an MMO seem more worth the investment.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, I think the demographic for an MMO skews much older. Sure kids have more time for MMOs in theory but adults have much more income to play consistently and a small enough amount of time to make an MMO seem more worth the investment.
MMOs in general sure, but at least from my experience XIV definitely skews younger

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm under the impression that XIV skews younger than the single player FF titles, which is why I think it was a really weird move to go for Playstation timed exclusivity for XVI, even more so than Rebirth.

I really think in an ideal situation, XVI should have been on PC at launch to capitalize on Yoshida and CBU3's popularity with the XIV base.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I know that among the younger people that I've worked with, XIV just is "Final Fantasy" to them. Like, if I were to say I was playing Final Fantasy after work, they wouldn't ask me which one, they'd say "oh I play that game" and start talking about XIV.

So if SE got more of those people to try out XVI, that's good.
Yeah, I've played XIV myself for a long while, since the start of Heavensward. I still have an active sub despite not seriously raiding since mid-ShB. The majority of people I've interacted with see XIV as... XIV, and not part of a franchise. A big portion of the people I still keep in contact with, particularly raid groups and my Free Company on Discord were interested in XVI purely because it was being made by CBU3, but those that didn't have a PS5 were super bummed out that it wasn't releasing day and date on PC.

Now that I think about it, not a single one ever expressed any interest in Rebirth, but a few of them were interested in Dragon's Dogma 2 for comparison.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1522925478893391872

Probably the only type of data you can find on this question. Not official but it's something I guess.
(also if it wasn't clear this is Japan specific)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I never commented about this but I also think some criticized FFXVI pretty harshly and most of the negative stuff the game has is due to
Yoshi-p's team having no experience with single player games and bringing some stuff directly from FFXIV that do not translate well with the action direction the games takes.
It's still a really good product though and sometimes that's enough.

Having said that unfortunately I see a pattern here that is very sad.

Fans of a certain FF game get bullied and attacked from other fans for liking it and then those fans that were bullied
start bullying and attack those other fans that started this because they liked the next entry more than the previous one.
It's a never ending cycle of hatred that makes no sense and brings the community down as a whole...

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
FF16 was my first FF game, and I'm not 29 yet.
Does it fully confirm the claims made by Square?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Promising, but I'm wondering whether they identified what was the larger cause of attracting this audience (gameplay/setting/etc). Rarely does Square Enix keep systems when they move on to the next numbered FF these days so I'm expecting 17 will be completely different. Also the question of whether this audience will be retained if the next numbered FF takes another 7-8 years

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Fans of a certain FF game get bullied and attacked from other fans for liking it and then those fans that were bullied
start bullying and attack those other fans that started this because they liked the next entry more than the previous one.
It's a never ending cycle of hatred that makes no sense and brings the community down as a whole...
I get what you're saying, but having some overly confident people eat some crow isn't bullying. Nor does it have to be a hate begets hate situation. We're talking about adults in their mid 20s+ here right? 😅

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
This would have probably been true some 15 years ago. But now there are reports saying most younger gamers are spending their time in live service games like Fortnite, Apex, Genshin, and HSR. They're probably not in MMOs specifically, but it wouldn't be because of the money and time investment, they're clearly seeing far greater value in playing those games than most single player games nowadays.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I get what you're saying, but having some overly confident people eat some crow isn't bullying. Nor does it have to be a hate begets hate situation. We're talking about adults in their mid 20s+ here right? 😅
Hmmm debatable some times 😅
I think you know what I mean, this happens and just because someone is an adult doesn't mean they have an adult's mind sometimes..

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
This would have probably been true some 15 years ago. But now there are reports saying most younger gamers are spending their time in live service games like Fortnite, Apex, Genshin, and HSR. They're probably not in MMOs specifically, but it wouldn't be because of the money and time investment, they're clearly seeing far greater value in playing those games than most single player games nowadays.
The key difference here is those are free games and people are still scratchy about subscription models, especially since EVERYTHING is a subscription now. However, I am more inclined to believe that there is a lot of younger audience in XIV waiting to be tapped into like myself.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Subscription MMO's are for Boomers

young people play the F2p games