• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously this won't be the case but imagine if, as a way to try and evoke the prerendered backgrounds of the original, the game was played with a fixed camera angle and areas actually looked like this?

7duopJH.jpg

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
*whispers* Maybe these dreams of Final Fantasy being this non-linear spectacle of world design and exploration are just dreams.

Let's see what they next showcase since everything Cyberconnect did has been essentially scrapped so nothing we saw at PSX 2015 matters anymore. Hasimoto confirmed it'll be at E3 this year so we'll find out soon enough.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Obviously this won't be the case but imagine if, as a way to try and evoke the prerendered backgrounds of the original, the game was played with a fixed camera angle and areas actually looked like this?

7duopJH.jpg

That's what I'm trying to say, yeah. That's why it reminds me of FFXIII because that's how it was designed with modern tech.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Let's see what they next showcase since everything Cyberconnect did has been essentially scrapped so nothing we saw at PSX 2015 matters anymore. Hasimoto confirmed it'll be at E3 this year so we'll find out soon enough.
Yyyeah I don't think they scrapped everything. Or at least I'm desperately hoping so. They never said that anyway. And nah, it was never confirmed it would be at E3.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
That Sector 6 Crane transition's the first area I got stuck thanks to the awkward perspective and the plank.

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Yyyeah I don't think they scrapped everything. Or at least I'm desperately hoping so. They never said that anyway. And nah, it was never confirmed it would be at E3.

Pretty sure they did because they already stated everything regarding C22.

Hashimoto said it in this interview

http://kh13.com/news/shinji-hashimoto-is-looking-forward-to-e3-2018

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/935164853303492608

I think it's obvious he's the producer and brand manager of FF and KH. He also stated 2018 will be a big year for FF with major titles coming and also mentions looking forward to E3 2018 in regards to KH.

KH3 wil probably get its own event like FFXV. But it'll definitely be at E3 since it supposedly coming out this year. FFVII:R will sneak in too because those comments only makes sense for that reason.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

Hashimoto said it in this interview

http://kh13.com/news/shinji-hashimoto-is-looking-forward-to-e3-2018

https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/935164853303492608

I think it's obvious he's the producer and brand management of KH and of KH3 and involved with FFVII:R. He also stated 2018 will be a big year for FF with major titles coming.

KH3 wil probably get its own event like FFXV. But it'll definitely be at E3 since it supposedly coming out this year. FFVII:R will sneak in too because those comments only makes sense for that reason.

Mmh well I'm having a hard time imagining that everything was discarded. All they said was that the development was shifted internally for quality control reasons. So maybe the direction of certain cutscenes or combat elements were scrapped only? But then could they have kept the models and assets etc to rework them.
One thing's for sure though, if we do see something at E3 then they definitely didn't throw away everything.

I know what Hashimoto said but I'd rather not get my hopes up with this troll ^^

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the concept art looks like, or resembles, FFXIII in any way. It just looks like Final Fantasy VII *shrugs*

Stated everything regarding CC2... what? Was thrown in the trash and deleted? I don't think it was explicitly stated, or even implied, that they were starting over again. Wouldn't they have taken what CC2 made and brought it into their internal studio so they can improve the quality to Nomura's liking rather than throwing it all away and starting again?

Also, playing devils advocate since I want VIIR to be at E3, he does just talk about FF in general. There's a good chance he isn't even talking of VIIR =(

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I'm gonna repeat what Duckroll said in another thread, but if Square are really stupid, they will show something about XVI at E3 and skip 7R entirely...

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh, this will be another FFXV scenario, it will be released 10 years after its announced.
It hasn't even been 3 years since it was announced and SQEX is actively developing FFVII Remake and it's their next big FF. It's nothing like FFVsXIII.
If you were SE you'd realize that they arent competent enough to have a demo ready that far ahead of time.
Fragmentary Passage was released early last year, which is basically a demo of KHIII. That's about 1,5 years before release. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could release some 30 minute demo from the beginning of FFVIIR with DQXI. It might still be rough around the edges and with some locked gameplay systems, but they've shown gameplay shots from the first bombing mission.
I very much doubt anything was scrapped. Maybe they will make some big changes to the gameplay if they feel CC2 wasn't quite getting it right but it's ludicrous to think they'd throw away all the assets that CC2 managed to develop. They might touch them up but there's no reason to believe they'd start from scratch. All the stuff in the trailers so far look great.

Last edited:

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Also didn't I read somewhere on GAF that SE recruited people from CC2 left and right around the time the company was ditched (insult to injury, lol). If true it would explain a lot, especially the statement CC2 made yesterday regarding their intention to mass recruit for future projects.
I forget
The chibi designs outside of battle are just gone, right?
Yep

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Also didn't I read somewhere on GAF that SE recruited people from CC2 left and right around the time the company was ditched (insult to injury, lol). If true it would explain a lot, especially the statement CC2 made yesterday regarding their intention to mass recruit for future projects.

Yep

aw man
i know it was probably to do with hardware limitation but I liked that there were two different looking styles

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Where was it said that they scrapped everything Cyberconnect did? I mean I know they talked about wanting to have a higher level of quality but that doesn't necessarily mean stuff was scrapped.

Also really wish there were HQ scans of this art, ugh. Need me some new backgrounds for my laptop.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I'm pretty sure that's just Cloud
You think the darkness of the shot might be hiding Cloud's hair? It could be, but then again his blonde hair would really stand out if it was him, like here
ouuu51.jpg

Would be interesting if it is Zack though, because it would almost confirm Midgar flashbacks or even possibly some sections from Crisis Core.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So there was the fan event today with Kitase and Hamaguchi. Nomura was surprise guest apparently.
Showed 4 screenshots of Avalanche members and Cloud.
Everything from the previous trailer was done again, characters look different now from the trailer we saw.
Cloud looks right for his age. Apparently he looks closest to his original look?
development advancing well

Oh yeah these screenshots won't be shown to public of course.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
So there was the fan event today with Kitase and Hamaguchi. Nomura was surprise guest apparently.
Everything from the previous trailer was done again, characters look different now from the trailer we saw.
Cloud looks right for his age. Apparently he looks closest to his original look?

Nice to hear that they've worked on the characters and whatnot. Hope it's in a good enough place for an E3 trailer.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for more details on this. Media outlets were present after all.
I doubt we will get anything more significant tbh. Unless they do a separate interview with Nomura and Kitase...
The fact that they made the images behind the scene seems to suggest they want to keep it as low as possible until re-reveal.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I doubt we will get anything more significant tbh. Unless they do a separate interview with Nomura and Kitase...
The fact that they made the images behind the scene seems to suggest they want to keep it as low as possible until re-reveal.
That's what's keeping me a bit hopeful:
From the 30th anniversary site:

The autograph autograph session with creators of FINAL FANTASY & the second talk show is an autograph session and a talk show by Mr. Yoshinori Kitase and producer Naoki Hamaguchi, the producer of FFVII REMAKE. Maybe there is a spillover about the development of FFVII REMAKE that they are currently working on?

There seems to be a talk too and not just an autograph session :thinking: Hopefully some new info, lol.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
The summary me and Maku's tweet put out is summary of what they talked about in that talk show. Nothing more is there in terms of talk show itself. Interviews are possible of course. But I wonder if they did any..
Ah... well they probably won't. We're just a few days away from a big KH3 event. They're not gonna do anything to overshadow it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

But is it still all CG? :/

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Where are these people that were telling me Nomura wouldn't trash CC2's work.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Where are these people that were telling me Nomura wouldn't trash CC2's work.
It only said stuff from the trailer got redone, not who did it or at what point things were redone. Character models get revised during development all the time. Not surprising stuff from a 2015 trailer a ~year into development isn't what they look like in the end product.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
This is what waiting for FF7R is going to be like. Grasping at any scraps of info. I mean, news is news...just, it's going to be hard

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they aren't huge changes in design, I really liked how everyone looked before.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i forgot cloud has 21
14-21(Crisis Core)
15-21(Before Crisis)
21 (Final Fantasy VII)
23 (Advent Children)

lets see some cloud designs

its comparison time!

Crisis core at the start of FF7
crisis-core71.jpg

Advent Children 2 years older only
movies-final-fantasy-cloud-strife-final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-cloud-character.jpg

FF7 ps3 tech demo
landscape-1449484495-ffvii.jpg

and then old design of ff7 remake
final_fantasy_7_remake-3.jpg

yeah in the remake "this guy are sick" more than in advent of children where he's really sick. The format of the face looks weird too