• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeeeeaah got that sweet Dragon Whisker polearm!

edit: holy shit this thing is nasty and it's only at lvl 60!

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody found the way to remodel the Obelisk spear, or is it already at max remodel the moment you get it?

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't knew it can be played solo,
I will try but the grinding part scares me.
Is it that bad?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Whoever thought that characters getting mud on their clothes all the time was a good idea deserves a kick in the nuts. What's the point of picking lighter colors for my clothes if I'll look like I've been playing in the nearest trash can after only one fight? Tabata!!!

Deleted member 10293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it a good amount. Got to about level 14 and I'm using the upgraded versions of the default katana, ashura, and default mace

Is there a spear I should be aiming for? I think I flubbed upgrading the starting one

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Am I the only one who thought the combat was better in the main game? Besides maybe items and magic. I feel like I have zero control over my attacking here. Granted I haven't played it since like January so...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
First review; basically what many of us here have been saying too:

I disagree with that last bit. I strongly disliked the base game and dropped it after about 15 hours, but Comrades has its hooks in me. The combat improvements, the character creation & customization, a proven game play loop. It's rough around the edges to be sure, what we have now feels more like a beta/early access(reminds me a lot of Year 1 Destiny), but there's plenty to enjoy for those who couldn't get into XV proper.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with that last bit. I strongly disliked the base game and dropped it after about 15 hours, but Comrades has its hooks in me. The combat improvements, the character creation & customization, a proven game play loop. It's rough around the edges to be sure, what we have now feels more like a beta/early access(reminds me a lot of Year 1 Destiny), but there's plenty to enjoy for those who couldn't get into XV proper.
Yeah, but recommending a non-fan Comrades in this state might turn them off because of the glaring structural issues that hold it back unfortunately (for now). I'd love if they fixed those since the foundation is fun to me too.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who thought the combat was better in the main game? Besides maybe items and magic. I feel like I have zero control over my attacking here. Granted I haven't played it since like January so...

I'm struggling to understand how you could think this, unless you were solely a spear user and can't get used to its auto-warping. I'm finding the combat much more involved in Comrades, but probably the biggest improvement for me is that the weapons feel much more distinct from each other. In the main game I found using regular swords, polearms or daggers made little difference, whereas I find I actually use my katana and spear for very different purpose. And both crossbows and shurikens being a whole class and not limited to royal arms is great because I think they are both way more fun to use than the guns. And I much prefer bubble shield blocking to the phase shifting blocking, it just feels more impactful.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling to understand how you could think this, unless you were solely a spear user and can't get used to its auto-warping. I'm finding the combat much more involved in Comrades, but probably the biggest improvement for me is that the weapons feel much more distinct from each other. In the main game I found using regular swords, polearms or daggers made little difference, whereas I find I actually use my katana and spear for very different purpose. And both crossbows and shurikens being a whole class and not limited to royal arms is great because I think they are both way more fun to use than the guns. And I much prefer bubble shield blocking to the phase shifting blocking, it just feels more impactful.
Agreed. Spears are weird though. Shurikens have become my fave weapon after never having used them in FFXV.

Tbh, I don't like how slow the guard shield builds up. It doesn't feel as responsive as it could with a quicker animation, and generally I think there should be animation cancelling when guarding. Would make the combat feel much smoother and snappier.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
Whoever thought that characters getting mud on their clothes all the time was a good idea deserves a kick in the nuts. What's the point of picking lighter colors for my clothes if I'll look like I've been playing in the nearest trash can after only one fight? Tabata!!!

This made me laugh. A MP combat game with doing the laundry as part of the game. Only FF could do something like this. Wonder if they will have weddings with cat people like in 14? :)

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this multiplayer DLC could be expanded to content after the ending of the game, they could do something like :

Allow us to rebuild the world after Noctis death, we could maybe play in Altissia and Nifelheim and see the bros and other characters life post Noctis.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Finished powering up the entire grid, and one tip I have is to save the 60k node for last because it unlocks nothing and is just a very expensive shortcut to the bottom of the grid.

I wonder when they'll add the Norduscean Garrison.

Also the Cactuar Flower gives you the ability to never get dirty, but it's not really worth an ability slot though unless you stick it on a weapon you wont use and just keep it around for stats.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of that would depend on the scope of the support they have planned (if any). I'd be interested in a post saving the world timeline since it's something you rarely get to see. One of my favourite things about X-2 is exploring what would happen in the world once the big threat was taken care of.

XV would be especially interesting because you'd have the hopefulness of the light returning after 10 years, contrasted with the sacrifices made and the significant amounts of destruction prior to and then during the 10 demon-infested years.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely addicted to this.
Currently lvl 35 and trying to farm more items for another nameless blade. When you level it to 99 with some strength boosts you do some major damage.
There is definitely some major potential with a multiplayer mode like this--reminds me of raid mode from Resident evil revelations. They should have this day 1 with final fantasy 16

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of that would depend on the scope of the support they have planned (if any). I'd be interested in a post saving the world timeline since it's something you rarely get to see. One of my favourite things about X-2 is exploring what would happen in the world once the big threat was taken care of.

XV would be especially interesting because you'd have the hopefulness of the light returning after 10 years, contrasted with the sacrifices made and the significant amounts of destruction prior to and then during the 10 demon-infested years.
But what would the dangers be in that world? There are no daemons anymore, no Starscourge, no gods, not even Niflheim exists anymore.

Finished powering up the entire grid, and one tip I have is to save the 60k node for last because it unlocks nothing and is just a very expensive shortcut to the bottom of the grid.

I wonder when they'll add the Norduscean Garrison.
Any particular methods or tricks to grind power or just simply repeating missions that give the most power?

Also the Cactuar Flower gives you the ability to never get dirty, but it's not really worth an ability slot though unless you stick it on a weapon you wont use and just keep it around for stats.
There you go, Keym :D

There is definitely some major potential with a multiplayer mode like this--reminds me of raid mode from Resident evil revelations. They should have this day 1 with final fantasy 16
I'm expecting FFXVI to have co-op stuff built-in.

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
But what would the dangers be in that world? There are no daemons anymore, no Starscourge, no gods, not even Niflheim exists anymore.

The wildlife Koozek, the wildlife. Just kidding, yeah I forgot about that small detail.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The power vacuum left by the end of the royal bloodline could invite all kinds of conflict. But it's not about saving the world so they'd never do that.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I really wish Comrades currently ended earlier than it does, storywise. When they add more content, there'll probably be no more story alongside it as a result. :(

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks this multiplayer DLC could be expanded to content after the ending of the game, they could do something like :

Allow us to rebuild the world after Noctis death, we could maybe play in Altissia and Nifelheim and see the bros and other characters life post Noctis.
I'd generally be down with a FFXV-2, with optional co-op and shared hubs built in from the start (maybe a prequel during Regis' era instead of post-FFXV, though Kingsglaives didn't exist before Noctis was a kid and Regis learned about Noctis' fate, iirc). Especially if they really revamped the whole gameplay even more, taking cues from Comrades' magic system, attack animation cancelling when guarding, reworked enemies' animations and telegraphing, changed the camera and targeting system etc. - basically rework everything, lol. Maybe add something like Techniques from FFXV with R2 + face-buttons to choose from 4 skills.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be too hard to come up with new monsters and enemies to fight post-FFXV, honestly.

Whatever the hell Gilgamesh was supposed to be certainly bodes well for non-Starscourge monsters still existing in the world post-game, for example.

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish Comrades currently ended earlier than it does, storywise. When they add more content, there'll probably be no more story alongside it as a result. :(

I haven't seen the ending yet, but I saw some thumbnails that shows that Libertus is the one who picks up Noctis instead of Umbra, they changed that, so maybe instead of going to Cid's garage, maybe Noctis goes to Lestallum and then we can play with him and the bros, or the avatar, to open the path to Insomnia, the Norduscean Region or whatever is called. I'm making assumptions without looking at the final cutscene.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure SE would find a way to magically resurrect Ardyn and ruin everything the first game stood for, lol. Also Noctis and Luna are resurrected, but Noctis mistakes a fire-magic flask with a rock, tries to throw it, it suddenly explodes, his head is blown off and lands in front of Luna.

I still hope they're gonna make FFX-3 based on that hilarious FFX-2.5 novel.

What the black hair options look like?
At the start of the game, there are none. Haven't seen if any open up in the future, though. None of the style upgrades I've unlocked have added any options for black hair.
That's a shame, btw :/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Don't lose hope - I should note that I'm not super deep into the expansion yet and have only unlocked two or three hairstyle options beyond the defaults so far. There are probably more - I wasted a LOT of time in the early missions trying to recover from wasting all of my gil and resources leveling all my weapons up the wrong way.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Don't lose hope - I should note that I'm not super deep into the expansion yet and have only unlocked two or three hairstyle options beyond the defaults so far. There are probably more - I wasted a LOT of time in the early missions trying to recover from wasting all of my gil and resources leveling all my weapons up the wrong way.
Black hair shouldn't be optional though.

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
Don't try to grind at the beginning, unlock more advanced missions first, you'll be wasting your time otherwise.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't seem to know a lot of basic mechanics.

The number of players who've hit ~Level 15 but who never pick up ingredients and seem to be completely unaware they can assist teammates in Danger status is hilariously high.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Made the mistake of building my Besmirched Blade into a weapon with Warp Combo-Blizzard when I'm a build that has basically no max MP. Sword hits insanely hard and drains a ton of HP when I hit with it, but...warp-strikes eat my ENTIRE MP gauge. Womp womp.

EDIT: I just broke the game. I was doing the mining minigame at Meldacio Hunter HQ and I tried to mine the same gather point more than once, and my character's idle animation broke. Even after the minigame ran out of time, I was stuck in the "pickaxe slung over your shoulder" pose, but the pickaxe was gone, and I wasn't able to move or do anything. Even when I loaded back into town.

I just quit the game entirely, and that seemed to fix it. But man...that minigame seems a bit unstable.

Last edited:

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you not have "Restorative Cast: Cure" and "Curative Cast: Protect" on the same weapon?

NINJA EDIT: Nevermind, I thought it wasn't working, but it was.
Except now I have a different problem...
Which icon is Strength and which icon is Constitution/Toughness/Defense? The fist or the bicep?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can you not have "Restorative Cast: Cure" and "Curative Cast: Protect" on the same weapon?

NINJA EDIT: Nevermind, I thought it wasn't working, but it was.
Except now I have a different problem...
Which icon is Strength and which icon is Constitution/Toughness/Defense? The fist or the bicep?

Bicep: Strength
Fist: Vitality (defense)
Sun: Spirit (magic defense)
Wand: Magic

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Strength, Vitality, Magic, and Spirit.

If you press the touch pad to open the "Gear, Info, Items" menu and then press triangle it brings up what every stat, and status ailment does.

Not sure why its so hidden though, the prompt is on the bottom right side of the screen and its very small.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to go to get Strength-increasing upgrade materials? I have tons of Vitality and Magic stuff, but almost nothing gives good Strength bonuses. Any recommendations?

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place to go to get Strength-increasing upgrade materials? I have tons of Vitality and Magic stuff, but almost nothing gives good Strength bonuses. Any recommendations?

If you wanted pure str you could get Behemoth Incisors from "Double Deadeye" or Behemoth Horn (the one specifically from the Behemoth King mission) they both give 20 STR but the incisor also gives dark resistance and is worth more exp which is less efficient.

Or you can pretty much go all in on Monster Jaws from the Bandersnatch urgent which are 5 str 5 vit 2 spirit for 890 exp each.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying it a good amount. Got to about level 14 and I'm using the upgraded versions of the default katana, ashura, and default mace

Is there a spear I should be aiming for? I think I flubbed upgrading the starting one

Corsesca in Cauthess is the best spear.

You gonna need Cid food to upgrade it though, so save the weapon and mats till he appears in the camp.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like how:
after you fight Gladio he just disappears and there's not even a cutscene or something. It just feels half-baked and incredibly annoying that they continue to do stuff like this.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Is the best quest for farming Kw the one with the 2 biped Robot?

Gonna take a while to get to 999 999

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like how:
after you fight Gladio he just disappears and there's not even a cutscene or something. It just feels half-baked and incredibly annoying that they continue to do stuff like this.

I still don't even know how to find him. I got the cutscene of him showing up at Lestallum, but nothing has happened since.