Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Was going to post a lengthier review in here, but someone linked me this post and honestly it sums it up. I started off really liking XVI, started to get bored with it during a Final Fantasy mode playthrough, enjoyed Omega and then really disliked this. It feels like they leaned into all the worst parts of XVI for this DLC, the only thing it has going for it is being a visual feast for the eyes.

As I said, I initially really enjoyed it, but the more time you spend with the game the more limited it begins to feel. You scrape up against the very small number of possibilities in the game. The characters use paragraphs where a sentence would do, dragging everything out with needless verbosity that feels self-indulgent to a fault. Sidequests seem designed to actively waste your time, somehow deteriorating from even the sorry state of those available in the base game. The only meaningful thing to do in the game is fight, and 95% of what the new region has to offer is palette swaps on the enemies you've already fought. The new abilities do the same thing all of your old abilities did, but they're water now. Combat consists almost entirely of poking an enemy with a toothpick while weaving in the three cooldowns you use to stagger, then blasting them with the three cooldowns you use to actually kill things. It's like filing paperwork after a while, just the same thing over and over. Characters you hope finally get a chance to breathe tag along on your new adventure to just stand in the background with a blank expression, then piss off for no reason to do nothing.

All in all, I hope their next foray into a singleplayer title learns a lot from XVI, because they have a long way to go.

Posted some updated (well, mostly the same) thoughts after finishing it fwiw.

Finished. Like echoes of the fallen it ends a good bit stronger than it begins, but it has basically all the same issues as the base game with little in the way of fixes. That said there are a few things they did better than I was expecting.

- Difficulty. Bosses hit harder, patterns are more complex. Sometimes verging on maybe a bit unreasonable with the game's issues with visual noise but it makes for a much more engaging experience. Timekeeper is an amazing fight, as it half of Leviathan, issues with giving your character the attack speed of a dark souls character notwithstanding (kind of a nitpick with all the eikon stuff). All of them are maybe a bit too tanky, but I wasn't using mastered abilities or anything. It's still a bit annoying how dodge solves basically everything and how they didn't try to experiment with alternative mechanics really all that much.
- That said there are some glimpses of this. DOT puddles, things that almost approximate freeze/stone, poison DOT, etc. Of course there are no actual RPG elements to leverage these things further, but it makes even the palette swaps a bit more memorable.
- The eikon feats are like Odin in that they are full moveset replacements, this should have been the standard for the rest of them tbh, and they feel different to the others.
- The action stages are probably some of the better ones in the game. While there are good other action stages, they often were kinda bland. Some of them were just random bit of forest, or city street or something. This has a decent sense of progression through areas and a sense of place at least. That said, they never really leverage the action stages to their fullest. If you're doing entirely cordoned off zones, you should be leaning into cool shit, traversal QTEs, crazy structrual changes. Do some bayonetta shit. As it is it's just XIII hallways but worse. And some stuff is action stages which just...really shouldn't be action stages. Also they don't seem to all get added to stage replay so uh....idk.
- Relatedly the environmental visuals and vistas are just more interesting the the drab base game.
- There's a sword that you might need to think about equipping because of its stats. That makes, what, one in the game? But it's a start I guess.
- The main story and most of the sidequests aren't about bearer/branded/blight/bullshit thank fuck. Almost makes you wonder about a game that didn't make that the sole focus of most content to the point of exhaustion for a large part of the game.

Things that somehow felt worse than the base game:
- Cutscene direction is just gone, for the most part. Lipsync is bad at points (this was an issue in echoes iirc as well).
- Sidequests to unlock basic features you had that the game takes away from you.
- A bunch of eikon specific accessories that are now more of a hassle to deal with because the presets don't handle gear.
- Music felt kinda weak apart from the leviathan stuff imo.
- The eikon fight has an extremely jank first phase where it feels like they wanted to do something with you sliding on the water but instead just suspend you in space and distance perception is horrid, and a DPS check that is pretty darn tight and has no quick retry option and makes you watch a cutscene each time you fail it. Just frustrating with needless friction. Recommendation is switch to 60 fps mode for that section as failing a couple of the full combos or getting hit can ruin it

And then all the rest is sort of the same undesigned bullshit. Economies and itemization progression that makes no sense, QoL that should be there but isn't, too many words for a miniscule amount of information, lots of work put into flavor text for items but no work put into the items themselves, big and bold obnoxious lettering for sidequest completion to inform you of the garbage loot you got, slow animations and the same repeated camera angles over and over again, menus that have a surprisingly low information density while also being redundant, etc. Jill.

It's more 16. It's very marginally better than the base game for the reasons described but it really doesn't feel like they iterated all that much with this, compared to, say, Intermission or XV's season pass which was far more experimental and varied.

I think the thing that baffles me is that there are many extremely obvious wins that CBU3 could be taking, but just seem to flub at most opportunities, or do the most bandaid for a bullet wound type approaches.

Like all these accessories. You can break them down into the base game eikon accessories, base game non-eikon stuff, the omega gameplay style-altering accessories, and now this DLC's new eikon accessories.

But the game only lets you equip 3 accessories at once, and presets don't actually track gear so it's a hassle to switch things out and experiment. The slots also are filled by accessibility accessories so fuck you if you want to use those I guess, no interesting playstyles for you. Even that aside, some of these accessories are just substantially worse than others or ineffectual to the point of feeling like a junk waste of a slot. When you have more slots or more party members it's a different calculus but with one character the limit feels positively suffocating when many of the effects aren't that amazing to begin with.

The "easy win" for this would be to go to the ability grid, and add each base game eikon accessory's effect as a perk you can unlock in said grid (or to the inner clive circle). Make the perk nodes locked out until you find the accessory in the world so there's a reason to explore (you can even include cryptic hints on the nodes for where to look for them). Then take those omega accessories, double them (steal 6 more from Nioh's max set bonuses or something idk), and put half of them in the base game as progressive rewards for renown so there's stuff for the player to look forward to before the endgame. Make these the accessories that take up slots, and make the accessibility stuff a toggle. And make accessories that are direct upgrades to weaker accessories fully replace them to cut down on inventory clutter like how FF mode does it but in the base game and for all the other accessories. Those really shitty base game accessories though, throw them all into the clive perk tree and let players spend small amounts of AP on them, but perhaps make them non-refundable or sth.

Then take those eikon weapons the ones that are often weaker than another weapon you might already have equipped, and make these upgradeable to current strength, and give them the DLC eikon accessory perks while you have them equipped.

With these tweaks your game almost approximates an RPG, you've incentivized exploration, made sidequesting more worthwhile, given players something to think about when it comes to equipping weapons, encouraged more active switching of full loadouts, given something that feels like innate progression (beyond the game's 3-stat level ups) instead of just loot, etc.

While you're at it, if you're going to let players reallocate ability points whenever, don't make them do that. Rebalance the ability costs so that players can just unlock everything as they go, or actually make them lock in to a particular play style (if it's not clear, don't do the latter, the former is the way to go if you're all about giving the player options).

Another random thing -- the potion system. Why even bother with it during field exploration? Just refill them automatically outside of battle or quest series of fights. Elden Ring figured this out. If you want the player to explore, give them a means to refresh potions. Rarely you'll find one on the ground or sth but usually its just more beaver ass. They're not an economic constraint, but it's just additional friction that doesn't need to be there, same as the big sidequest completed messages.

The Eikon abilities basically boil down to two roles- will damage and actual damage. They have a lot of flashy animations and area of effects, sure, but this is almost exclusively useful on small, juggleable trash mobs. You could use these abilities to style on the enemies that can actually be launched, flinched, etc. Things like Ignition scooping them up can be fun, but their movesets are so narrow, their AI so bad and their HP so small I don't know why you'd bother. The meaningful encounters come from the elite enemies and the bosses, and the Eikon abilities for the most part have those two uses against them- stagger or hurt, sometimes both.

Yep the fact that bosses play by completely different rulesets for the most part ruins a lot of potential, and makes everything feel like dodge attack and dump whatever string of abilities you want. There's fun stuff you can do but shiva's dodge + lightning rod + will o wykes into dancing steel and zantetsuken kinda solves everything, and there are plenty of similarly powerful combos, but at some level you're just picking cooldowns that don't require skill to execute and you press button to make them happen, at least in boss fights. It's fine but wears thin over 60 hours or whatever. Chronolith trials show there's some consideration in the design but it's entirely orthogonal to the big challenges in the game. The usual objection here is "well play FF mode/Ultimaniac/arcade/some self imposed challenge run" and honestly, it's not my job to make the game fun for me when plenty of other games manage to do that out of the gate. I don't think the onus should be on a player to derive a pleasant experience.

Oh and all the eikon fights that are spectacular but play by another even more divorced set of rules with a worse feeling combat model than clive. I'm so glad that in the game's hypest moments literally nothing about how I've played the game so far matters and all choices are made for me.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked 16 but I think for me the main thing that I think makes 16 grow a bit stale in its combat is that stagger structures your approach to combat in a very specific way and there is not too much choice in variety of how to deal with it.

Actually if you play FF7r solo character for as much as you can it kinda exposes a very similar dynamic with stagger and really shows that a big part of the intrigue in that game that makes stagger less stale is just the group party interactions it feels like a lot more like juggling balls up in the air with how the resources tension works out.

16 gives you a lot more reactive options for responding to moves of the enemy but the way combat turns out in the end feels a lot like fit round peg into the circle shaped hole, fit the square peg into the square shaped hole, etc.

The root of it all is though that it seems just made to be very much more inviting to people less familiar with action it's a bit of shame they didn't make a system that scales to different levels better without like making you engage on it more on a perfect execution level in the point modes like ultimania. But it is what it is.
You can dish out a lot of damage outside of stagger to be honest, a x1.50 multiplier is not that massive and you have to work to get there in stagger phase. A bit different from FF7R trilogy where stagger is a massive multiplier

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I would not describe XVI's dialogue as flowery, I wish it were more flowery. I ADORE XII and Tactics dialogue, I am quite fond of XIV's dialogue in most cases.

XVI just feels less formal almost in a way I find really boring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the central issues is just that at the end of the day, even more XVI content hammers home with a thunderous crack the fact that DMC games are short for a reason.

The content isn't even bad, but even by the end of EACH of the two DLC, with an almost six-month gap between each of them and the main game, I just felt stuck in a rut. Every fight feels mostly the same, because the core systems at play are just too limited and too structurally blindered.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You can dish out a lot of damage outside of stagger to be honest, a x1.50 multiplier is not that massive and you have to work to get there in stagger phase. A bit different from FF7R trilogy where stagger is a massive multiplier
Not sure what the point here is when you're only saying you can ignore the mechanic?
It doesn't seem like to get the point about what stagger does to the gameplay?
Like ask yourself in what I say if I were to just ignore stagger does that suddenly make the combat more interesting? If I equip the auto dodge ring and now can ignroe dodging does that make the combat more interesting?

Like this doesn't really relate to what I was talking about, ignoring a mechanic that is very limited in the way it interacts with the other components of the game is not really a fix to anything.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what the point here is when you're only saying you can ignore the mechanic?
It doesn't seem like to get the point about what stagger does to the gameplay?
Like ask yourself in what I say if I were to just ignore stagger does that suddenly make the combat more interesting? If I equip the auto dodge ring and now can ignroe dodging does that make the combat more interesting?

Like this doesn't really relate to what I was talking about, ignoring a mechanic that is very limited in the way it interacts with the other components of the game is not really a fix to anything.
I'm sorry, I thought it was about stagger being stale. It's not really about ignoring the mechanic the way I thought about it but that you can deliver the bulk of damage outside of it with more utility skills

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I have accepted that some people view combat differently from myself in this game because I don't know how you could play this game and think the eikons don't have different uses. Also, Leviathan has wayyy better stagger damage consistency than any ability and AoE skills tend to be on the longer side which is why its eikonic feat is useful.

I suppose occasionally playing to score is why my perspective is different.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I believe combat mechanics are great, in fact the way you execute skills might be my favourite implementation of this idea. What's unfortunate is enemy behaviour, trash mobs are just that, trash. Doesn't matter how much you increase the difficulty, the design philosophy is not there.

Elites and bosses are mostly great to fight, but the variety was never there when it comes to elites, and difficulty is still low no matter the mode (well, Ultimaniac is hard but in the worst possible way).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Any good area to grind xp? Finished the Echo's DLC in the 80's. Worried about the DPS check and being kinda underleveled.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I would not describe XVI's dialogue as flowery, I wish it were more flowery. I ADORE XII and Tactics dialogue, I am quite fond of XIV's dialogue in most cases.

XVI just feels less formal almost in a way I find really boring.

I think it's the tone that restricts a more flowery language.

In other words, less fuck and more Thal's balls.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
I finished both DLCs, overall enjoyed the experience a lot.

The new abilities are great and for long period of Rising Tide you have a complete party, this is something I wish we had a lot more during almost all the game, the feeling with adventure with companions was great.

Playing again months later, there's two things in my opinion probably would did this game wonders:

1) Clive combos are really cool and the animations are great, but a little more variety with the only playable character was needed.

If he had like 2 more default movesets with different weapons (e.g. sword, axe, lance) would bring a little more gameplay variety.

2) more enemy variety, at the end of game you almost don't have anything more to learn about enemies, because their attack pattern is basically the same all the game. If the variations had at least 1~2 attacks that truly differentiate them from each other, it would keep the learning curve a little more dynamic

In the end of day even with some criticisms and nitpicks I have with FFXVI, it was a great game.

I'm really happy with Square Enix, they're releasing a lot of quality games lately, I hope the word of mouth help the sales because they deserve more credit.

Hoping the PC port of FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth have a great optimization, people deserves it to play these games in full glory!

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Any good area to grind xp? Finished the Echo's DLC in the 80's. Worried about the DPS check and being kinda underleveled.
I'm assuming you're on FF mode? I cleared it last night at 86. I don't think grinding is going to make that much of a difference. The DPS check is extremely tight but more about using Ifrit's skills and combos efficiently. If you still want to grind, you can just fight mobs in Mysidia they're all level 100. I'd also recommend wearing the accessory that increases exp by 30% while you do the DLC.

Last edited:

crimmy88

Aug 7, 2023
Also, after that epilogue quest I'm kinda in the Clive dies camp now
Im still on the opposite side given the dlc's ending, particularly Joshua's surplus theory. More than that, since the dlc is canon (and theres no indication it is not), you should check out Ultima's inner voice/thoughts regarding Clive in Vivien's map/chart.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked 16 but I think for me the main thing that I think makes 16 grow a bit stale in its combat is that stagger structures your approach to combat in a very specific way and there is not too much choice in variety of how to deal with it.

Actually if you play FF7r solo character for as much as you can it kinda exposes a very similar dynamic with stagger and really shows that a big part of the intrigue in that game that makes stagger less stale is just the group party interactions it feels like a lot more like juggling balls up in the air with how the resources tension works out.

16 gives you a lot more reactive options for responding to moves of the enemy but the way combat turns out in the end feels a lot like fit round peg into the circle shaped hole, fit the square peg into the square shaped hole, etc.

The root of it all is though that it seems just made to be very much more inviting to people less familiar with action it's a bit of shame they didn't make a system that scales to different levels better without like making you engage on it more on a perfect execution level in the point modes like ultimania. But it is what it is.

I think people get too focused on stagger, it's not that big of a deal.

Any time I see someone say "hold cooldown for stagger" I think they've convinced themselves there's just one way to play, but in reality if they hold any cooldown for more than half the time to recharge(or the whole time when factoring in the Omega accessory) then they're actually losing DPS, not even taking into account the gradual damage increase of stagger.

I don't think people need to love the mechanic, I think it can be improved by letting mid sized enemies get juggled when staggered like in TW101, but I can't agree when someone calls the game bad because of the way they chose to play.

Well I do see what you're getting at, but ranges, AoE, things like that really only feel applicable to the trash mobs which are already encounters that require nearly nothing of you. You can style if you want, but it's not something that will actually benefit you or something that the game incentivizes. You could just use one of your big AoEs and end any trash encounter instantly. I can sorta see the appeal in playing around with the toys but when the enemies themselves are just punching bags it just doesn't feel like enough incentive to me. Beyond that, the elites and the bosses play mostly the same and your setup will boil down to how fast you're staggering and dealing damage, because your other capabilities don't have much effect on them.

I'm not really sure what you mean by personal buffs. Are you talking about the Ifrit ability that shields you, maybe? Or Torgal's regen or something along those lines? Otherwise there really isn't much in the way of things like that in this game, not in the Eikon abilities. Regardless, you can slice the abilities up into their mechanical differences- cooldowns and animation length and such- but what you're doing at the end of the day is going to fall into what to me is a very similar loop. You sit on heavy-hitting cooldowns, waiting for stagger. You utilize your stagger-oriented cooldowns to whittle the foe's will down and get a chunk of damage in. Then once the foe is staggered you go into something very similar to a burst rotation in an MMO. If this doesn't kill, you repeat. As a post above me said, the stagger mechanic funnels the fights into the same general flow and all of your tools work towards that flow, exclusively.

I hope I'm explaining myself well. As an example, if you compare it to something like Rebirth, you're practically spoiled for options by comparison. You have a plethora of abilities that have unique roles, from healing, dealing elemental damage, inflicting or cleansing statuses, shielding and buffing your party, hitting hard, staggering fast, etc. This is in addition to the things you mention like AoE, setup, counters, things like that. I wouldn't even consider Rebirth's combat super complex. You might say Final Fantasy XVI is going for something different as a more action-oriented title, but I'm not sure it excels there, either. My feeling playing it was it just doesn't have the level of mechanical depth that makes something like DMC or Bayonetta really feel sublime, although I think it's fairly competent in its core mechanics as a "lite" version of titles like that.

Forgive the big spiel, I could probably learn a thing or two about brevity, myself. TL;DR from my point of view the broad strokes of the samey feeling of XVI's encounters comes down to uninteresting trash mobs, a combat system that's geared towards one approach to every major enemy, and a lack of distinct roles for Eikon abilities outside of the specific way you stagger and/or deal damage. To be honest, it wouldn't hurt if the enemies were a little less spongey, either. I'll probably leave it there because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who enjoyed it, but I have a lot of thoughts on it after spending so much time with it.

I honestly don't know what to say since you just handwaved everything, I don't think I can convince you.

But like, I don't think FFXVI is a perfect action game, but for a first game by a mostly new team to the genre I think it still manages to be in a high tier, easily surpassing many Platinum games like MGR and Nier Automata for me in mechanical depth. I don't think it not living up to DMC is such a bad thing.

I think one of the central issues is just that at the end of the day, even more XVI content hammers home with a thunderous crack the fact that DMC games are short for a reason.

The content isn't even bad, but even by the end of EACH of the two DLC, with an almost six-month gap between each of them and the main game, I just felt stuck in a rut. Every fight feels mostly the same, because the core systems at play are just too limited and too structurally blindered.

My recent playthrough has shown me that the game's pacing is actually pretty good. There's still the RPG stuff of going to towns and talking to people, but when skipping cutscenes it really shows how quickly we move from location to location, world exploration sections are treated as mini stages so going through those and true stages feels like nearly nonstop progress, and a new enemy type is often introduced(though FF mode makes things more interesting by mixing in later game enemies throughout).

The cutscenes are long(because it's a FF game, that's what people will want from it) and I think that really skewed some people's impressions on it, but when skipping the game really doesn't feel that much different from a lot of action games to me in pacing.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think cutscenes are the problem. For me, "pacing" issues boil down to two basic problems:

- monotonous fetch quests ("go to icon, press button")
- B-tier scenes have poor editing

The major cutscenes have great energy and flow naturally, but lots of the lower-budget two-shots play like two Amazon Echoes talking to each other. The flavor text is almost always great, but the direction and editing of these scenes is pretty bad! The energy vaporizes whenever most NPCs open their mouths.

The fetch quest design is well-tread ground at this point. They simply aren't interesting and give nothing for the player to engage with. They pad out time and offer no challenge or sense of reward.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think cutscenes are the problem. For me, "pacing" issues boil down to two basic problems:

The major cutscenes have great energy and flow naturally, but lots of the lower-budget two-shots play like two Amazon Echoes talking to each other. The flavor text is almost always great, but the direction and editing of these scenes is pretty bad! The energy vaporizes whenever most NPCs open their mouths.

The fetch quest design is well-tread ground at this point. They simply aren't interesting and give nothing for the player to engage with. They pad out time and offer no challenge or sense of reward.

I get all this, but also I've played FFXV and Remake, so I'm always confused why now it's treated as a big problem.

Something that should be improved on, but I really don't think it's any different from the standard the series had before it.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
This boss in the second "level" is making me so giddy. It's such a fun fight! And the lore is so cool and exactly what I wanted more of. All my problems with the game really melt away during awesome moments like this. Now, to keep retrying cause I refuse to use potions. 😤

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I get all this, but also I've played FFXV and Remake, so I'm always confused why now it's treated as a big problem.

Something that should be improved on, but I really don't think it's any different from the standard the series had before it.
These aren't issues specific to 16, but I think they're unfortunately pronounced by 16's faster pace when it gets going. The highs are *so* high that when it dips it feels like a crash.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I just looked what was the secret boss in the Kairos gate, I'm sure it's a cool fight to engage with but I was expecting something more "surprising", it automatically made me not wanting to do the thing at all.

I'm kinda interested for the rewards behind these challenges, might be cool to have them in case I replay the game in a few years but I don't know if I feel like doing Kairos, honestly.

ChocoBuddy

Apr 9, 2024

I don't think they need to offer challenge, but I agree completely with the lack of rewards. The problem is that's tied into how gear works at all in this game.

For me, I need something in between XVI's super basic quest structure which can have interesting set dressing about the world and the kind of expensive, longer Rebirth side quests where you're given a mini game for something mundane(I just had to do a mini game to pick a mushroom optimally) for their next venture.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
On the combat, I do think the game loses some of its flavor against elite enemies and bosses. Mostly elite enemies because bosses at least have unique mechanics. But I can't deny that I cycle through the same rotation against enemies that can't be launched and stuff. During stagger I do the same optimal combo (for my build) because it gets me the most damage. I'm also maybe even considering replacing Shiva. Cold Snap is really fun and powerful but I definitely play a lot more samey with it because I'm always going for permafrost and then just wailing on enemies with optimal stagger damage.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't issues specific to 16, but I think they're unfortunately pronounced by 16's faster pace when it gets going. The highs are *so* high that when it dips it feels like a crash.

Possibly. And I do think the number of them is part of the perception problem, since so many people want to try and do everything and then they get overwhelmed, the sidequests in FFXVI on their own are very short, a couple minutes at most ignoring cutscenes, in theory that's pretty harmless but in practice people will take detours for an hour on them.

On the combat, I do think the game loses some of its flavor against elite enemies and bosses. Mostly elite enemies because bosses at least have unique mechanics. But I can't deny that I cycle through the same rotation against enemies that can't be launched and stuff. During stagger I do the same optimal combo (for my build) because it gets me the most damage. I'm also maybe even considering replacing Shiva. Cold Snap is really fun and powerful but I definitely play a lot more samey with it because I'm always going for permafrost and then just wailing on enemies with optimal stagger damage.

I swapped out Cold Snap for Wings of Light/Megaflair as my dodge Eikon after the buffs, dodging four times to get a powerful AoE DoT is so much more fun to me.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda not enjoying the DLC so far, it's a bit of a bore. Doesn't help that I completely forgot how to be remotely good at the combat.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My recent playthrough has shown me that the game's pacing is actually pretty good. There's still the RPG stuff of going to towns and talking to people, but when skipping cutscenes it really shows how quickly we move from location to location, world exploration sections are treated as mini stages so going through those and true stages feels like nearly nonstop progress, and a new enemy type is often introduced(though FF mode makes things more interesting by mixing in later game enemies throughout).

The cutscenes are long(because it's a FF game, that's what people will want from it) and I think that really skewed some people's impressions on it, but when skipping the game really doesn't feel that much different from a lot of action games to me in pacing.

It's the mechanical structure of the game that's the problem. It's just boring to spend hours and hours fighting enemies the exact same way because Clive's moveset is too small and anything tankier than a trash mob can't be manipulated in any way by your attacks. You're just slugging against brick walls and spot-dodging every incoming attack. It just feels extremely droll and repetitive after around the 15-hour mark.

The MMO structure around everything else just exacerbates the issue, but at the core, the problem is that the combat system just isn't well-suited for a 60-hour experience.

SoraanTribal

Oct 27, 2017
Not finished with The Rising Tides (getting close though, I think), but after coming off like 150 hours of Rebirth... I've definitely remembered some aspects of XVI that I wasn't overly fond of even at launch. I did really enjoy the game and still do. My issue is mainly how repetitive the combat feels just waiting for cooldowns and using the same abilities over and over (usually in certain orders for stagger and damage purposes). I do switch around eikons and such for some variety but still doesn't feel like much. Especially coming off Rebirth with so many playable characters with unique abilities, actual magic spells, enemies with real weaknesses, and varying ways to stagger enemies.

And the level design in XVI is so linear a lot of the time with not much to even do in the world when the areas are a bit more open. ..oh yay, I went to this corner and found a blue dot for some bloody hides or 2 Gil. Lol or a chest with a boring cooldown cost reduction accessory. I was pleased with the loot in Echoes because they were far more interesting and unique. I know there are some I have yet to get to in the expansion that are hopefully more unique.

I know people don't like when you compare these two games sometimes, but they are the most recent entries and it's interesting to me how the design philosophies are so different between them.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda not enjoying the DLC so far, it's a bit of a bore. Doesn't help that I completely forgot how to be remotely good at the combat.

Really wish they just gave us some more stuff with Jill/Joshua (or for fucks sake, Dion!!) instead of introducing a rather boring new character. Shula has a cool design but wasn't really invested in her stuff.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's the mechanical structure of the game that's the problem. It's just boring to spend hours and hours fighting enemies the exact same way because Clive's moveset is too small and anything tankier than a trash mob can't be manipulated in any way by your attacks. You're just slugging against brick walls and spot-dodging every incoming attack. It just feels extremely droll and repetitive after around the 15-hour mark.

The MMO structure around everything else just exacerbates the issue, but at the core, the problem is that the combat system just isn't well-suited for a 60-hour experience.

I just don't agree with the variety, changing abilities really does change up so much for me.

I'm not gonna try to change anyone's opinion, but I don't know, I just want to say how I feel.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't agree with the variety, changing abilities really does change up so much for me.

I'm not gonna try to change anyone's opinion, but I don't know, I just want to say how I feel.
I think the combat is totally fine. Best-in-class even. Bosses mix things up enough that it never gets old.

... unless you engage with all random mobs. I skipped each field mob in FF mode and thought the experience was better for it.

I don't think they need to offer challenge, but I agree completely with the lack of rewards. The problem is that's tied into how gear works at all in this game.
Challenge *is* the reward for me. I do not give a shit about 95% of item rewards. So my opinion is skewed.

I have an aversion to "go to x, press button" quests in any game. If there ain't something interesting happening in between, I already know each event that will occur beforehand from beginning to end, and the menial task of holding a stick and pressing a button does not engage me.

But again, this isn't exclusive to 16. Just one of those conventions that bugs me.

Narrative games kind-of-sort-of get away with it because those moments act as a breather in between events. They are seldom mechanically interesting and fall into the trap of "could have been a movie."

I've had Dragon's Dogma 2 on the brain recently and it comes to mind as the right way to do fetch quests. There are so many interesting decisions to make between points A and B that each quest becomes an unpredictable journey. Half the joy is preparation, the other half watching how that preparation plays out. BotW is another one that gets it right. FFXVI is clearly a much different game, but that's what makes these quests feel less suited for it. Its environments are hallways and its verbs are "stagger" and "kill." Each time it introduces a boss or a new enemy type, those verbs are well-exercised. But the majority of its sidequests neglect to do this, and instead throw a trash mob in your way or replace those verbs entirely with "fetch," which is just the worst.

To be fair, I can't think of any ARPG where I wouldn't skip field mobs when possible unless I just want to mess around.
They are rarely fun, that's for sure.

Despite my issues I still think 16 was my favorite game of '23. Its combat firing on all cylinders is sublime. Animations, the heft of attack contact, the cadence of enemy attacks, the swiftness of its ability rotations, it's all satisfying.

But I am disappointed in its DLCs. All the good parts are still here, but it makes no improvements on the bad parts.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I think the combat is totally fine. Best-in-class even. Bosses mix things up enough that it never gets old.

... unless you engage with all random mobs. I skipped each field mob in FF mode and thought the experience was better for it.

To be fair, I can't think of any ARPG where I wouldn't skip field mobs when possible unless I just want to mess around.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Also I don't believe serve no purpose except for wasting your time. The purpose is clearly to build that world. These first quests in Mysidia serve to flesh out Mysidia and its people. Their culture, how they stay hidden, how they make money, etc. I dig it, it's just that CBU3 tends to follow the same structure for their quests all the time. You do something pretty basic to help some person after they provide the bare minimum context, then you turn the quest in to get the full context and the world building. While I like the end result, the process gets old and about half the quests don't do enough to shake it up.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
I am having a very hard time with Trial by Water from the DLC….

Any particular tip/way to do it? I am level 101 at the moment.

Final Fantasy mode

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I just looked what was the secret boss in the Kairos gate, I'm sure it's a cool fight to engage with but I was expecting something more "surprising", it automatically made me not wanting to do the thing at all.

I'm kinda interested for the rewards behind these challenges, might be cool to have them in case I replay the game in a few years but I don't know if I feel like doing Kairos, honestly.
You can use the easy mode rings and blaze through it and get the rewards.

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I am having a very hard time with Trial by Water from the DLC….

Any particular tip/way to do it? I am level 101 at the moment.

Final Fantasy mode
Before each stage starts, look at what time bonuses you get for using your Eikon abilities (the preset R2 ones) and focus on using those. It changes with each stage and usually it's just hitting a certain number of enemies or hitting enemies a certain number of times. I also just kept spamming the water gun attack combo (square, square, triangle) when they were on cooldown. Once you do that you should have plenty enough time to clear. I ended up with 5 minutes on the last stage.

Last edited:

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Before each stage starts, look at what time bonuses you get for using your Eikon abilities (the preset R2 ones) and focus on using those. It changes with each stage and usually it's just hitting a certain number of enemies or hitting enemies a certain number of times. Once you do that you should have plenty enough time to clear. I ended up with 5 minutes on the last stage.

My problem is not time, its that the enemies fuck me up 😂

Its been a while I played this game and 200hrs of rebirth didnt help either…

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My problem is not time, its that the enemies fuck me up 😂
Always stay in water gun mode. Spam the water gun combo (square, square, triangle) and keep using the double dodge move with R1 to stay mobile. If you keep zoning while you cycle the Eikon abilities through their cooldowns you should be good. I didn't have any issues at level 90. If you haven't already checked the smith he has new gear you can buy and upgrade for extra defense.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Also I don't believe serve no purpose except for wasting your time. The purpose is clearly to build that world. These first quests in Mysidia serve to flesh out Mysidia and its people. Their culture, how they stay hidden, how they make money, etc. I dig it, it's just that CBU3 tends to follow the same structure for their quests all the time. You do something pretty basic to help some person after they provide the bare minimum context, then you turn the quest in to get the full context and the world building. While I like the end result, the process gets old and about half the quests don't do enough to shake it up.

Yeah, story and world building are the main things that kept me interested in the sidequests.

I'm also doing them in my FF mode playthrough because they're so fast and give a lot of AP(for me to eventually master every ability) and gil(to buy music and stuff). If these quests didn't exist we'd have to fight a lot of trash mobs to grind out that, and at a slower rate.

They should definitely work on mixing things up with objectives so the amount feels less repetitive, but I don't think having short and basic quests as well is inherently a bad thing.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Always stay in water gun mode. Spam the water gun combo (square, square, triangle) and keep using the double dodge move with R1 to stay mobile. If you keep zoning while you cycle the Eikon abilities through their cooldowns you should be good.

Many thanks. Any particular equipment suggestions? I havent finished the DLC yet so maybe i get the new equipment and then come back to it?

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Many thanks. Any particular equipment suggestions? I havent finished the DLC yet so maybe i get the new equipment and then come back to it?
I used Omega Blade and the two new defense gear. You should be able to unlock the new gear before the second action stage if you do all the available side quests. Something else I forgot to mention is max out all the Leviathan abilities. That's really helpful and will buff your attacks. If you need points you can remove them from an Eikon ability you're not using.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe a big problem is enemy variety, just in this dlc how many Courls do we fight? I think 5 at least.

Enemy variety (or lack thereof) really exposed the monotony of the combat loop for me. There's only so many ways you can kill the generic guys before it stops being fun and you're just trying to get through them as quickly as possible to get to the next plot point. The times the dudes with axes or magic canons show up it's just your single target rotation and I don't think the game even bothered throwing multiple of those enemies at you until end game when you got Odin's power.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
WHEW. Finally beat The Timekeeper with no healing nor retries! That was sooo fun. What a sick boss fight. Finished it perfectly too: Diamond Dust, babyyy. 😎

Oh CBU3, y'all really love making super cool ice-themed humanoid bosses that have such a cool moveset, design, and lore, that make me wish they had their own game. 😭 (the other one is Halone from the Endwalker raids)

I wish we got a new Dissidia game that added other characters besides heroes and villains too just so they can throw those two in. And of course I would want 14 total reps from XIV.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Enemy variety (or lack thereof) really exposed the monotony of the combat loop for me. There's only so many ways you can kill the generic guys before it stops being fun and you're just trying to get through them as quickly as possible to get to the next plot point. The times the dudes with axes or magic canons show up it's just your single target rotation and I don't think the game even bothered throwing multiple of those enemies at you until end game when you got Odin's power.
That's where my opinion differs from a lot of people. I have never once thought about how I just want a fight to be over. In these types of games I'm always focused on doing cool shit and scoring high. If anything I get upset whenever I drop the cool thing or enemies die before I get to do the cool thing. That's why I wish the game had its scoring system even in the story mode. I don't understand why it doesn't. Did they wanna avoid having people think they're playing the game wrong? Who cares? Either ignore the score or recognize that maybe you could be doing more and you'll possibly even engage with the mechanics more.

Also FF mode has you fighting multiple elite enemies at the same time fairly frequently. It actually has some disgusting combination of enemies at times and they can fuck you up if you're not careful.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's where my opinion differs from a lot of people. I have never once thought about how I just want a fight to be over. In these types of games I'm always focused on doing cool shit and scoring high. If anything I get upset whenever I drop the cool thing or enemies die before I get to do the cool thing. That's why I wish the game had its scoring system even in the story mode. I don't understand why it doesn't. Did they wanna avoid having people think they're playing the game wrong? Who cares? Either ignore the score or recognize that maybe you could be doing more and you'll possibly even engage with the mechanics more.

Also FF mode has you fighting multiple elite enemies at the same time fairly frequently. It actually has some disgusting combination of enemies at times and they can fuck you up if you're not careful.

I think the problem for me is that I don't find elite enemies fun to fight. They just feel like brick walls that take 3x as long to die as they should.

Like, Master Tonberry has enough mechanics for maybe one stagger, but it took me THREE stagger loops to kill him.