• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
They can do what they want. Personally I don't think it's great to be encouraging an attitude of "it's good for people with objectionable views to be shotgunned to death, actually," or that people who think it's a bad thing should be condemned. Abe was an ass about a lot of things but he should have been defeated culturally and politically, not murdered.
an ass?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of his political controversies, can't say that I'm cheering for anyone to be assassinated, especially in such a gruesome way. I wish his family the best.

I wonder how this is going to change things in the Japanese political world.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly surprised more assassinations don't happen globally. Can't say whether this is ultimately going to be a good fallout even if people think he got what he deserved.

Meanwhile, poor Kojima..

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It is a bit disappointing to see Chris not mention anything about Abe other than "he was hated by some".. yeah literally everybody on Earth is loved and hated by someone.

Would not have been hard to say "he was loved by people EXAMPLE and hated by others EXAMPLE".

Not saying fully praise him or rag on him, dude has just been murdered live on TV, but the majority of people watching Chris' video probably have no clue about Abe.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So in the last 10 hours,

Shooter was a soldier and MADE his own shotgun.

And some right wingers are doing the exact same shit here and fake shit.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
My heart goes to people of Japan. Seeing people killed is scary and traumatic. Especially when it's done in such a public manner to a public figure. It's shocking no matter how bad the person was.

IMO it's a testament to effectiveness of gun control laws that the best option a highly motivated and skilled individual ready to throw their life away could come up with was some random DIY contraption.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Don't know about Hong Kong but Japan is viewed very positively in Taiwan and same goes more or less for Abe. His hard stance on China issues and continuing support for Taiwan won him good PR.

He's a classic example of a controversial politician.

Japan is the largest democratic force in East Asia and is one of the only countries in the region that can realistically stand up to China. I think it's easy to see why there are people who pragmatically care more about his actual actions than they do about his remarks.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Advocating Violence
They can do what they want. Personally I don't think it's great to be encouraging an attitude of "it's good for people with objectionable views to be shotgunned to death, actually," or that people who think it's a bad thing should be condemned. Abe was an ass about a lot of things but he should have been defeated culturally and politically, not murdered.

Ultranationalists should be shotgunned to death

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It is a bit disappointing to see Chris not mention anything about Abe other than "he was hated by some".. yeah literally everybody on Earth is loved and hated by someone.

Would not have been hard to say "he was loved by people EXAMPLE and hated by others EXAMPLE".

Not staying fully praise him or rag on him, dude has just been murdered live on TV, but the majority of people watching Chris' video probably have no clue about Abe.
Abe was really good for foreigners like Chris coming to Japan. My brother who start living in Japan around the time Abe came to power was quite sad today. His wife cried because of it. This is definitely a day in Japan that will be mourn for some time.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

that's not what Mengde was talking about, all they asked of is a call for restraint from people giving rosy eulogies to someone who denied war crimes.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I've been having the same thought, there's so many people and so many more visible 'celebrities' for people to take issue with that I'm suprised attacks like this aren't more common

That would mean throwing your life away. And overcoming that self-preservation instinct is very hard.

And let's be honest, when we talk to each other about how much we hate Trump and other politicians & celebrities, the feeling of emotional support and emotional relief is what most of us are seeking. All other purposes are secondary for most.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This is a sad day for Japan and I am glad the murderer was caught. What he did was not only a horrifying act of aggression, but also an assault on freedom of speech and democracy themselves.

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
I mean this is only a bad thing because it will probably push Japan even further into ultranationalism. But in a vacuum a dead fascist is absolutely a good thing.
This is a sad day for Japan and I am glad the murderer was caught. What he did was not only a horrifying act of aggression, but also an assault on freedom of speech and democracy themselves.
And still a small fraction of the assault on freedom of speech and democracy Abe and his party has done.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Yup.

Surprised to see so many people wished him well, though I suppose feelings of Asian people are not important for many in a US centric places like ERA.

Like can you imagine ERA feeling sad if this happens to Trump? Hah.
It's honestly kind of weird whenever someone bad (ultranationalist war-crime deniers seem bad too me at least) dies, and there is always a bunch of people defending them ("he is dead now, time to respect him!"). And it's like no, you need to gain that respect when you are alive, it isn't granted automatically when you die. I suppose with japan you have to add orientalism (or japanism) and ignorance to the mix. Reminds me of the reactions to the death of that Dragon Quest composer who was also a massive cunt and ppl were surprised to see ppl happy about it!

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yup.

Surprised to see so many people wished him well, though I suppose feelings of Asian people are not important for many in a US centric places like ERA.

Like can you imagine ERA feeling sad if this happens to Trump? Hah.
I'm not surprised at all. News coverage of Japanese politics in the US has done an incredibly good job flattening all political elements within. Shinzo Abe to most Americans is just the "please have sex" meme, not a far right nationalist whose influence on Japanese politics has been far reaching and destructive.

This death might be the one thing to temporarily unite non-Japanese East Asian countries though lol

Jun 24, 2019
i will deny this incident even occurred

it's what Shinzo Abe would have wanted

You won the internet today!

It's honestly kind of weird whenever someone bad dies (ultranationalist war-crime deniers seem bad too me at least) dies, and there is always a bunch of people defending them ("he is dead now, time to respect him!").

Takes me back when Boris caught corona. Some nutty era users 🐑 were quick to shut down others cheering; despite our ""beloved"" PM killing thousands.

Jun 24, 2019
People on here said the same thing when Trump caught COVID, wagging their fingers at people praising it.

giphy.webp

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I really had no idea Japan leaned so hard right. Also the weapon used to kill him is straight out of a video game.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I mean this is only a bad thing because it will probably push Japan even further into ultranationalism. But in a vacuum a dead fascist is absolutely a good thing.
Helix Zebesian-X

We don't live in a vacuum so it is more pertinent to react to our collective reality instead, in which this assassination will probably push Japan even further into ultranationalism, which is a terrible thing and an absolute tragedy, even if you don't endorse the "two wrongs don't make a right" creed.

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
Helix Zebesian-X

We don't live in a vacuum so it is more pertinent to react to our collective reality instead, in which this assassination will probably push Japan even further into ultranationalism, which is a terrible thing and an absolute tragedy, even if you don't endorse the "two wrongs don't make a right" creed.
Sure, that's the actual tragedy here, not the death of a fascist ultranationalist.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I've been having the same thought, there's so many people and so many more visible 'celebrities' for people to take issue with that I'm suprised attacks like this aren't more common
It is incredibly hard to not get caught. Almost all assassinations of public figures will result in arrests unless done by a party able to control the situation IE Russia killing political rivals. And organized crime doesn't want an even bigger foot of the law up their asses so public officials are almodt always off the table unless, again, your state is like Russia. To kill someone famous would mean signing away your life to prison. Most will not want that even if they feel hatred for the person.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you all endorsing assassination because of a person's politics is making me side eye this entire forum.

His politics included denying Japanese war crimes in WW2. The dude was an ultranationalist and has moved Japan so far into ultranationalism that it may not return.

His 'politics' was racism.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Some of you all endorsing assassination because of a person's politics is making me side eye this entire forum.
When those politics cause death and pain on an untold scale it's fairly understandable. Just because state violence has the illusion of legitimacy doesn't mean it's not felt.

Now combine that with the current era of global politics where electoral resistance to this violence seems more and more unattainable and it's no surprise that people are a little less concerned with the safety of right wing monsters.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You want me to pretend to be sad a fascist is dead?

Guarantee if Trump got his spine blown out at a speech, most of the people tut-tutting would be posting .GIFs and memes.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
what are politics to you? something someone does from 8-5pm and then checks out and becomes a good person?

shit sucks that it comes to this, but his anger was the catalyst that started this chain reaction

Jan 18, 2021
It's honestly kind of weird whenever someone bad dies (ultranationalist war-crime deniers seem bad too me at least) dies, and there is always a bunch of people defending them ("he is dead now, time to respect him!"). And it's like no, you need to gain that respect when you are alive, it isn't granted automatically when you die. I suppose with japan you have to add orientalism (or japanism) and ignorance to the mix. Reminds me of the reactions to the death of that Dragon Quest composer who was also a massive cunt and ppl were surprised to see ppl happy about it!

anyone who does this sucks tbh

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this all day and it's just so fucking crazy I can't even believe it

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how anything good is supposed to come from this as it just encourages more freaks to do assassinations.

Like, Abe sucked and his grandfather was a monster, but you generally do not want gun freaks to have the idea that they should do assassinations.

This will probably only help Abe's party in Japan and the Japanese police seem to think the shooter is a random loser with no coherent ideology or politics.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I think there's a big difference between Boris and Trump getting covid and cheering that on and somebody being assassinated and cheering that on.

Frankly I care more about the political effect this assasination will have in Japan, unfortunately pushing people further right. You don't win people's hearts by killing someone no matter how evil that person is.

Like if Hitler hadn't killed himself he should absolutely have been tried and imprisoned for his terrible crimes. Killing him would be letting him get off from facing his consequences. It's why I can't cheer Abe's death, he can't hurt anyone but he still got off light in relation to the pain he caused.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
There's a massive gap between not feeling sympathy for someone who was killed, and literally endorsing his execution. I'd dance if Trump was murdered tomorrow, that doesn't mean I support that someone go out and kill him.