• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yulizh

Aug 21, 2022
So if I were to get this game, should I get it on PC or PS5?
On PC you need at least an SSD, and a GPU with a minimum of 10GB of vram.
My 3070 is having a bad time, it runs well (most of the time) but the texture quality has a mind of its own.
At least you can try the demo, or buy the game and use Steam Refunds if t doesnt run well on your machine.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
A 3070 will have tons of FFVII Remake door style textures, no matter how low you put the settings. Not all the time and not all of them, but enough that it's problematic. I don't consider the game playable on it, even thought the framerates are totally fine.

The requirements sheet shouldn't have said 1440p 30, should have said 1440 60 but with n64 graphics at least some of the time

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
The performance before the patch was bad, but after the patch is just a fucking joke. With a rtx2080ti and I9 9900k I cant even maintain 30 fps at 1080p

I like the game but they dont deserve good sales on pc

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
The performance before the patch was bad, but after the patch is just a fucking joke. With a rtx2080ti and I9 9900k I cant even maintain 30 fps at 1080p

you've got something further going on if you cant even crack 30 with those specs.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah even on a 3080 10900k 32gb ram rig the game still drops into the 40s/50s fps during battles at 1440p WITH dlss at balanced and the useless rt settings turned off not to mention it drops fps when panning the camera. I refuse to play at a lower res as it looks like shit otherwise so i said fuck it and capped the frame rate at 40fps at 4K dlss set to quality. Having the nerve to charge $70 for this trash port along with the game itself being as mediocre as it is justify this game being shitted on the way it is.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth with the new patch I had to verify integrity to get back the performance I had pre-patch. I just got constant micro-stuttering in the new patch without verifying. Was really odd.

Oct 27, 2017
Captured the PC benchmark scenes (start to finish) for anyone curious: first in 4K/DLSS Quality, then in 4K/native/TAA. Haven't experimented with any other settings yet myself, bumped them all up to maximum...
Woops, somehow had both XMP and Resizable Bar disabled in BIOS, when I did those tests. Enabled both in BIOS just now (assuming I don't need Inspector for this game, never used it)...
You do need [Nvidia Profile Inspector] if you want to use rebar. It is not enabled in the current driver for Forspoken.

Here's the list of games for which it is active on GeForces:
Code:
Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Metro: Exodus, Hitman 2, Hitman 3, F1 2020 - DX12, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, Godfall, Watch Dogs: Legion, Borderlands 3, Control, Forza Horizon 4, Forza Horizon 5, Deathloop, Gears of War 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding, The Riftbreaker, Halo Infinite, DiRT 5, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition
F1 2022, F1 2021

Thanks for the heads up!

Is there any improvement using ReBar on this game same as DS Remake ? Anyone tried already ?
I actually tried it yesterday after all the Dead Space ReBar revelations. I didn't notice much of a difference at the save point I compared. My max framerate was one fps higher than before at most. Didn't experience any downsides so far.

Yeah, I didn't see a difference in the bechmark test just now either (4K/DLSS Quality/Max Settings):
  • XMP Disabled, Rebar Disabled: 63 FPS average
  • XMP Enabled, Rebar Disabled: 65 FPS average
  • XMP Enabled, Rebar Enabled: 65 FPS average
EDIT: Settings in Profile Inspector
gRzI5C7.png

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So as I wrote in my initial article ( https://www.dsogaming.com/news/forspoken-has-frame-pacing-audio-shader-compilation-stutters-issues/ ), this was the first thing I noticed, the weird frame pacing issues of the game. So I went ahead and moved the game folder from the SSD (Samsung 970 Pro Plus NvME) to me HDD. And look and behold, the game no longer downclocks the CPU and the frametime graphs are MUCH BETTER. DirectStorage is awful in this game (at least in its current implementation). I'm using Win10 BTW, so I don't know if things are better with Win11. Sure thing, the game loads really fast with DirectStorage. However, the frame pacing issues make the game completely unplayable with DirectStorage as the game never feels smooth, even when running with over 60fps. Here are two screenshots from the exact same place. The first one is with SSD and the second with HDD. The HDD runs 38fps better than the SSD.

Was this behavior ever explained? Is it still a thing even with latest version of the demo?
From what I briefly saw from Digital Foundry video, this isn't tackled.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
On PC you need at least an SSD, and a GPU with a minimum of 10GB of vram.
My 3070 is having a bad time, it runs well (most of the time) but the texture quality has a mind of its own.
At least you can try the demo, or buy the game and use Steam Refunds if t doesnt run well on your machine.

Depends a lot on your GPU. Honestly even though a 10 GB GPU is fine, I would not do it even there. As 10GB does not ensure perfectly quality at higher resolutions. 12 GB minimum GPU since this port is so awful.

I'd go PC if you've got half decent hardware. The PS5 version is pretty ugly in perf mode and doesnt even hold 30 fps in quality.

try the pps5 n steam demo n see which one you like perf/quality wise

Tried the demo on both, went with the PS5 version instead. Plays much smoother for me

Thankys for all your advice folks

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Looks like DirectStorage has a nice boost to not only the frame rate, but to the consistency of the frame time. Also allows for higher GPU usage.

youtu.be

DirectStorage ON vs OFF | DirectStorage Makes a HUGE Difference in Forspoken at 1080p

DirectStorage on vs off comparison. At 1440p and higher resolutions, DirectStorage has virtually no impact on frame rate. When CPU limited at 1080p, however,...
interesting, as some reports here have noted that moving off an SSD has improved their frame timing issues.

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
Looks like DirectStorage has a nice boost to not only the frame rate, but to the consistency of the frame time. Also allows for higher GPU usage.

youtu.be

DirectStorage ON vs OFF | DirectStorage Makes a HUGE Difference in Forspoken at 1080p

DirectStorage on vs off comparison. At 1440p and higher resolutions, DirectStorage has virtually no impact on frame rate. When CPU limited at 1080p, however,...

I noticed the same when I forced it off, I had a much lower frame rate and worse frame times.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
So, I upgraded my ram from 16 GB -> 32GB today.

I have had such a massive improvement in frame stabilization in this game, it is boggling my mind. This game is really ram dependent. I have immediately upped the resolution and some effects and it's still holding well.

If you're playing on PC and you have 16GB, I will say: upgrade your ram immediately if you can.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So, I upgraded my ram from 16 GB -> 32GB today.

I have had such a massive improvement in frame stabilization in this game, it is boggling my mind. This game is really ram dependent. I have immediately upped the resolution and some effects and it's still holding well.

If you're playing on PC and you have 16GB, I will say: upgrade your ram immediately if you can.
Yeah I'm trying to get 32GB RAM months from now!

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
New patch is up:

Square-Enix

On 2/21/2023 06:00 (UTC), the update patch 1.04 of Forspoken (main game and demo) has been released.
*The Microsoft Store version will be updated as soon as the patch is approved.

Patch Notes

Technical Issues:
・Fixed an issue where the camera moves unintentionally when certain Xinput devises are used as the controller. (PC version)
・Fixed an issue where the FSR setting automatically changes to Normal upon restarting the game when the FSR, DLSS, and 3D Resolution are set to a certain setting. (PC version)
・Fixed an issue where the game shows unintended behavior when PlayStation®5's DualSense Edge™ wireless controller is connected to the PC. (PC version)
・Various minor fixes.

Feature Updates:
・The text font for Traditional/Simplified Chinese has been changed.
・The system text that displays when certain items are unlocked have been updated.
・The system text accompanied with Patch 1.03's mouse config bug fix update will be now displayed in all languages.
・Minor optimization for certain features.

*The updated version name will be entitled as follows on each platforms:

Forspoken (Main Game)
・PlayStation®5 | 1.004.000
・Steam | 10570927
・Microsoft Store | 1.4.4.0
・Epic Game Store | 1.4.1884145

Forspoken (Demo)
・PlayStation®5 | 1.004.000
・Steam | 10569330
・Microsoft Store | 1.4.4.0
・Epic Game Store | 1.4.1884118

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The new patch mentions optimisations in both "processing load" and VRAM users. Can anyone with a 3070 confirm if the N64 textures are gone?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Woot, looking forward to jumping back in this weekend after Fatal Frame. Was loving the gameplay and the open world visuals looked pretty good. Definite crazy drops in the city tho.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I've been waiting for this for a long time. Will return to the game tomorrow and see if the super low-res textures are gone on my 10GB RTX 3080.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
First impressions of the update

• 8GB cards should be fine on standard textures/models now, the vram used is consistently under 8 GB now (though you'll probably want to close out of anything that could be using vram). Ultimately will have to wait on 8 GB GPU users to test. RT will be out of the question.
  • They added a "new" form of AO (90% sure it's the regular AO from FFXV) as the "standard" option, with the original options being called fidelityfx. It applies much larger pockets of shade which helps aesthetically, though it's far from accurate and the larger pockets mean object occlusion is obnoxious. Will come down to preference really.
  • RT AO still sucks completely, RT Shadows still kinda suck
  • Game runs much better for me in the area I'm currently in anyway (the citadel)
  • HDR calibration added? At least I don't think it was there before but I could be misremembering here, so someone correct me if so.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Yes lil forspoken patch:
(edit:) ENG blog post: https://www.square-enix-games.com/e...utm_campaign=forspokenupdate_photo_SQEXSOCIAL
JP Blog post: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/topics/detail/2530/
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1680880/view/3672161126000264028

Patch Notes

Technical Issues:
・Fixed an issue where the screen unintentionally flickers when AMD's Radeon RX570 or RX580 is used. (PC version)
・Various minor fixes.

Feature Updates:
・Adjusted the explanatory text and default camera position for the tutorial of the Magic Parkour skill Zip.
・Added an option where the players can choose to automatically switch to the last-viewed section when accessing a menu.
・Added an option where the players can choose to automatically point the camera to the targeted enemy when locking on an enemy during charging spells.
・Added an option where the players can choose to automatically switch the lock-on target to a nearby enemy after defeating a locked-on enemy.
・Added an option that enables the players to lock on to off-screen enemies.
・Added an option where the players can choose to prevent being staggered by the effects of Frey's own spells.
・Adjusted certain enemies' motions and behaviors upon taking damage.
・Adjusted Sila's Magic "Slice" to be unleashed to the direction Frey is facing.

Graphical Adjustments:
・Adjusted the lighting of certain areas in Cipal.
・Adjusted the camera effects that occur when framing bright objects such as the sun.
・Adjusted the texture and shading for certain objects.
・Adjusted the number of polygons for certain background objects.
・Improved the glare filter quality.
・Updated the menu to display the required memory usage.
・Updated the opening sequence to go through the Brightness Settings before starting the game for the first time.

Miscellaneous:
・Removed the VRS entry from the Graphics section of the menu.
*The shader has been optimized to have the Variable Rate Shading (VRS) available for all hardware.
・Updated the DirectX 12 version to 1.606.4 from 1.4.10.

Optimization:
・Reduced the processing load in certain areas. (The load has been reduced to approximately 70% in certain scenes.)
・Reduced the VRAM usage.
・Minor optimization for certain features.

· Adjusted the lighting of certain areas in Cipal.[Left=old patch, Right=new patch]

01.jpg

* Adjusted the texture and shading for certain objects.
02.jpg

* VRAM Usage reduction (PC version)
04.jpg

·Reduce CPU processing load on specific maps (some scenes achieve 30% reduction):

2K Graphics Preset Standard
PC HardwareVersion 1.02Version 1.10
Ryzen 7 3700X + Radeon RX 5700 XT54fps75fps
Intel i7 8700K + GeForce RTX 3060 Ti59fps74fps
Ryzen 9 5900X + Radeon RX 6800 XT96fps119fps

www.youtube.com

Forspoken - Version 1 10

Read full blog on Patch 1.10 here: sqex.link/bzge

PS5 will have the same performance tweaks, curious how much the perf. jump is on the quality mode 🤯

edit; woops did not see it was already linked 😳 , my bad ;')

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They added a "new" form of AO (90% sure it's the regular AO from FFXV) as the "standard" option, with the original options being called fidelityfx. It applies much larger pockets of shade which helps aesthetically, though it's far from accurate and the larger pockets mean object occlusion is obnoxious. Will come down to preference really.
FF15 used a now-depreciated form of AO, so it'd be weird if they went back to that.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Looks promising. Seems like it will be an enjoyable experience on my 3070 by the time I can buy it for ~20€ :)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the game briefly last night after updating and it felt way smoother than before, I wish I would've waited to play it but at least the experience will much improved for people that haven't played it.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Played it for a bit and it's much better now.

Better performance, lighting and the textures actually load now. Will finally continue the playthrough I interrupted because I was waiting for a patch. This is how the game should've been released.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
This and Gotham Knights getting fixed is cool but day 1 buyers are getting screwed. Which I guess has been happening for a while so why am I even surprised lol

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
This and Gotham Knights getting fixed is cool but day 1 buyers are getting screwed. Which I guess has been happening for a while so why am I even surprised lol
Yeah that's why I don't buy PC games on day 1 anymore and wait for them to be patched up later...unless it's a smaller game like Cuphead, SOR4, TMNT Shredder's Revenge and such.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This patch is a massive improvement. Much crisper, textures are good and sharp, framerate is up, lighting seems more vibrant?
I'm now playing the game on higher resolution with high shadows and much smoother framerate. It's quite good. Still a few frame dips in tense moments but... it's like night and day. I'm on an 8GB 3070 (laptop card). Crazy that this happened. Feels like this was a layer of polish that was supposed to go into the game before launch but SE pushed the button early. Glad at least it runs nicely now.
I wonder how the PS5 version performs with the patch.

Last edited:

ceevee

Nov 14, 2021
So I found the culprit in my case: Texture Memory size

I turned down every single setting and this one made the difference. I get frame stutters when moving the camera if I set texture memory to anything higher than normal. (running on 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX 4090, Win 11)

Edit: In combination with all RT features off. Otherwise stutter is still there.
Thanks for this. I had issues with camera pan stutter. FSR3 with frame generation on is able to make the game stutter free as long as the FPS is constantly at the display's refresh rate. But because FSR3 with FG does not work with VRR yet, if your GPU dips below the refresh rate, there is a stutter.

My GPU could not keep the FPS at the refresh rate constantly, so the only solution that worked for me is to set texture memory to Standard, like you've suggested.

EDIT: I ended up using the Standard preset, setting Model and Texture Memory to Standard, and using FSR3 with Frame Generation. Can get constant FPS at refresh rate now (120 FPS) with no camera panning stutter.

EDIT2: I troubleshooted further. It turns out my PCIE linkage was at x4 4.0 instead of x16 4.0. I checked using CPUZ and GPUZ. I reseated my GPU and now no more camera stutter with max settings (no RT) and max Model and Texture Memory.

Last edited: