• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the cutscenes are in super/ultrawide on PC. Guess the modders, as usual, will save the day.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Do I need a gen4 drive to do directstorage? I have a gen3 NVMe
maxresdefault.jpg

yes, and i can set it to 720p on my pc and i will still get stutters that i dont get on ps5 despite having stronger hw.
i mean, ya'll with 4090's and whatever most likely get less intrusive shit, but i sure as shit ain't lying about my experience. played the demo on both ps5 and 3070+10700k and i find it more consistent on ps5, even if its far from perfect there also.
Your 10700K + RTX 3070 drops to some 25fps?
Turn down some settings or
Theres probably something wrong with your rig.

Ocelott

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone do me a favor and turn off steam overlay? I think I got a big boost after turning it off.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
The Chichek area of the demo can drop me as low as 50fps at 4k max settings with no DLSS. 4090 and 5950x. CPU utilization is like 10% at most for me

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
The Chichek area of the demo can drop me as low as 50fps at 4k max settings with no DLSS. 4090 and 5950x. CPU utilization is like 10% at most for me

CPU utilization can be tricky as you can bottleneck way below 100%. Better metric is gpu utilization. If it's below 95 or so youre probably CPU bound.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
This runs wayyyyy better than I expected when they didn't release any PC reviews.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
CPU utilization can be tricky as you can bottleneck way below 100%. Better metric is gpu utilization. If it's below 95 or so youre probably CPU bound.
Ah, is that what's happening here?
Can someone explain what's going on with the first town scene in the benchmark? It's consistently one of the lowest FPS performance scenes for me and yet it has the lowest GPU utilization (65-70% when literally everything else is 90-99%) and only marginally higher CPU utilization (about 16% when everything else is about 10% or lower).

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
6700K and 3080 12gb here. Tested the demo. The game is super heavy GPU and CPU wise, 4k DLSS perf and Low LOD gives me pretty solid 60 fps so far, though the game doesn't feel entirely fluid. Cant say I saw any shader stutter, and if it was there it was very brief. CPU utilization was at 100% when first bottling the game, so it at least partially precompiles shaders. Disabling vsync in game and forcing driver one plus RTSS cap seems smoother somehow, might be a placebo though. SpecialK crashes the game when used with RTSS overlay. RTAO doesn't seem to be working in the demo. HDR is meh, it's pretty much SDR to HDR conversion, can look ok when tuned, but you don't miss much in SDR.

Overall, seems like a decent enough port, aside from the game being super heavy for some reason.

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Me too are you seeing shader comp issues because I'm not? I haven't rolled up to the new Nvidia drivers though.

I almost see why they hid this. It's a lot than the PS5 version in my opinion. The extra framerate boost and image clarity is nice.

I haven't noticed any shader comp issues. I'm using the updated drivers. At native 4K, The worst I've seen is a drop to 58fps twice in combat in the area after the first bridge (although on the bridge even with many enemies fps was well above 60s).

Have you tried the boss fight on the bridge? It exclusively stuttered for me there. Combat and traversal in the open world is fine.

I've gone through the first bridge and reached the second, but I've only seen groups of enemies. Where is the boss fight?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
So i tried a little of the game on pc....it's really another game from the pc version....
It's way smoother and damn picture wise, it look good !!
For the little i played, i didn't get stutter , it was smooth.
I expected a worse pc port..and not as good as this graphic wise.

I put everything at max at 4k with dlss balanced, it's into 40fps with my 3070ti, 5900x and 32giga at 4000mhz ( nvme gen 4 too)

Lemon King

Jun 30, 2020
All ingame audio seems to be completely busted on a 5.1 setup.

e: Video coming up

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I can't confirm shader issues because I'm testing the performance through the benchmark because I'm RDPing to the machine, but from what I can see it's using 11GB vram & 9GB RAM in the benchmark.

I'm definitely GPU-bound even with DLSS & RT off though on performance

F4dRry.png

Excuse the overblown HDR
Lol this lighting. All that white crush.
Such a shame coming from FFXV's beautiful and natural lighting/GI.

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble with a controller on the PC demo? It's like the game can't decide if I'm using mouse/keyboard or a controller. The left stick is also controlling the view as well as the character movement.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Anyone tested their 4080 yet? If I can get 4K DLSS quality with a steady 60 that's good enough for me
I'm not one for repeating jokes, but are you telling me that this game runs totally fine on a 4080 at 4k with balance DLSS AND it's actually super fun to play so far?

For real, I've had a couple dips into the mid 50s and the first tutorial boss fight was really fun.

I'm glad I got this.

But to answer your question about quality DLSS. I was getting drops into the upper 40s for a second while fighting a couple monsters at a time, putting it on balanced cleared it up really nicely though.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
It's using 2.4.12 DLSS btw, I'll replace it with the newest version in a few minutes to see if it works.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
So...I haven't read any impressions from anyone else yet but I just gave the demo a shot. I'm on an R9 5900x, 3080Ti, 32GB of RAM, installed on a 980Pro M.2. At 4k DLSS Performance, max settings including raytracing it would run right around 60fps, usually under but would sometimes spike to 75ish in that tutorial ravine. Ultra-performance didn't see much improvement but the game was insanely hitchy. Really really bad. When I dropped it to 1920p (just to see if it helped at all) it actually got worse...mid 40's...it was bizarre. Even when I then dropped it to 1440p DLSS Balanced it ran a little bit better framerate wise but was still horribly hitchy. Weird thing was when I switched it back to 4k I could only get it in the the low 50's with all of the hitching intact. Then I quit the game and booted up the demo again.

The difference was night and day. 4k DLSS Performance, motion blur off, max everything else (maybe standard shadows but also RT shadows)...ran right around 60fps again but it was way smoother, fantastic really. Load times are non-existent and its incredible. I hit "Continue" it fades to black quickly and then I'm in the game. It's like a slow blink.

I'll *probably* still wait for a sale but I was genuinely surprised at how well the demo runs and I'll enjoy messing around in it even more than I did on PS5 with how it's running.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
changing the controls to have attacks on the face buttons and magic running and interact on the triggers make the game feel a lot better. also got a huge stutter when fighting the water magic lady on the bridge

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
No shader comp issues on my end and it's working to damn perfection honestly. Fast traveled on the map and it might be less that a second or right at. I've noticed a bit of noise though. Like when looking at the door in the first cabin. All in all the PC version as encouraged me to pick it up.

Gigabyte 4090
That is encouraging - the user mentioned when they went to fight a boss they noticed it (a stutter of some sort). Perhaps there? If it is not there during normal traversal and normal combat....

Edit
Also if you have less 12 or less GB of VRAM, you may want to try lowering the texture streaming setting. Apparently the high setting is meant for 12 GB + GPUs. If you have that with RT on, it might be causing issues perhaps if the GPU is running low on VRAM.
I'll repost here. System 6700XT 5600X 16GB-Ram. On High Settings, 1080P.

From OCAT:
Average FPS 61.78
Average Frame Times 16.19ms
99th percentile 18.94ms

Loading time on an NVMe.

What is your drive speed? That is nice.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
The IQ on PC is so much better. I hated testing this game on the PS5 because eveything was so mushy.

The lightning is just as terrible tho, what a shame.

Starlightmuse

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 27, 2017
The floor textures just refuse to load no matter my resolution or settings, wtf

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely could run better, but it's not as bad as people were expecting. Perf at max settings with DLSS quality bounces around the mid 40s to mid 50s in heavier combat areas in the demo. I've seen one particularly nasty shader stutter when fighting the tall lady with the lamp. Cutscene with her model being introduced dropped framerate around 18 fps for a sec or so. Other than that, if they were there, they were relatively minor. It seems playable so far.

It looks noticeably better than the PS5 version so I can see folks choosing this over console. Personally, I'd wait for some patches first.

I have a 3080, 32GB of ram, and a 5800x.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Is anyone else having trouble with a controller on the PC demo? It's like the game can't decide if I'm using mouse/keyboard or a controller. The left stick is also controlling the view as well as the character movement.
Try disabling Steam Input for this.
Right-click in library > Properties > Controller > Disable Steam Input

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
That is encouraging - the user mentioned when they went to fight a boss they noticed it (a stutter of some sort). Perhaps there? If it is not there during normal traversal and normal combat....

I've noticed stutters when getting near specific structures. Such as the little towers that let you scan the area and mark a side activity to do. I haven't noticed it otherwise.