DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I also have to make a comment regarding the tone of the game.

Although it's not as dark as Bloodborne,I dont think there was a frame in the trailer that I ve sensed a bright place or hopeful feeling. There is a constant melancholy and withering beauty in almost every scene.

Which is even better than what I was expecting. I like the melancholic tone of these games and Elden Ring seems to be delivering on that

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious how expansive the co-op is. I suspect you get locked into areas in the same manner as with current games, as to allow full independent exploration would be a heck of a technical jump for the engine. Imagine your mates heading off into areas which aren't streamed into memory on your console and killing enemies, I mean, the engine had enough of a problem syncing that kind of data when you were five feet from one another and everyone's console presumably had the same guff in the RAM. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Yeah I've wondered about this and how they're gonna gate off areas since they are ""connected seamlessly", but we've seen fog gates already so most likely it's going to work exactly like in previous games. Full independent exploration is probably just not technically feasible, plus it would be a mess when you bring invaders into the equation. Invaders can be so annoying in current games when you're winning a duel and they go run and hide behind some enemies, now imagine that in an open world if they could go literally anywhere.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I've wondered about this and how they're gonna gate off areas since they are ""connected seamlessly", but we've seen fog gates already so most likely it's going to work exactly like in previous games. Full independent exploration is probably just not technically feasible, plus it would be a mess when you bring invaders into the equation. Invaders can be so annoying in current games when you're winning a duel and they go run and hide behind some enemies, now imagine that in an open world if they could go literally anywhere.

Yeah, I suspect that canyons, tunnels, bridges and miscellaneous choke-points will play a surprisingly large part in Elden Ring's topography just so they've got plenty of places to shove a fog gate.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
The synopsis:

"Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord."

Undead again, then? Really are leaning into the "Souls, but bigger" thing. I have no problem with that at all, though obviously you gotta hope there's more to it

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
really curious about the hawk screenshot and the cube. Is it for summoning players or magic? are there summoning spells in this game? is this hawk some kind of online thing? is it Griffith? so many quesitons
08.jpg

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I think we've only seen NPC summons in the trailer. We'll probably have different cubes (or any other magical artifacts) for different purposes.

Edit: And holy crap the hawk has a tiny helmet, hadn't noticed that.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
The synopsis:

"Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

Undead again, then? Really are leaning into the "Souls, but bigger" thing. I have no problem with that at all, though obviously you gotta hope there's more to it

There were some undead/zombie-looking pale mobs with their heads tilted walking around in the footage, so yeah.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
The synopsis:

It's kind of like an overblown version of it. There's the theme of the order of the world being broken. The phrase "dead who yet live" makes me feel like most of these undead are running on borrowed time, already truly dead but without the consequences (yet). If the order of the world is restored as it was before, they'll probably finally die, but if a new order is established, they may not have to.

I think that's what this game is going to be about, bring everything back to the status quo or embrace change. A lot of these themes have already been seen in other soulsbornekiro games, but this time we're probably going to have more of a say in the matter, instead of just having to deal with a forked road that ends in the same place in the end.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I think that's what this game is going to be about, bring everything back to the status quo or embrace change. A lot of these themes have already been seen in other soulsbornekiro games, but this time we're probably going to have more of a say in the matter, instead of just having to deal with a forked road that ends in the same place in the end.
That's where my money is too, I wouldn't be surprised if we learned that the Ring was kind of a nuanced/bad thing in the world and the world is ultimately better without it (or we have to decide that for ourselves).

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
If Elden Ring is an actual metroidvania I'm losing my shit
I think some loose metroidvania structure and elements are more than likely in order to at least slightly restrict which areas are visited last. I doubt From intends to scale anything at all to the players level in their semi open world Souls game.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of like an overblown version of it. There's the theme of the order of the world being broken. The phrase "dead who yet live" makes me feel like most of these undead are running on borrowed time, already truly dead but without the consequences (yet). If the order of the world is restored as it was before, they'll probably finally die, but if a new order is established, they may not have to.

I think the biggest thematic difference so far is that unlike souls, where you are marked (or manipulated) as the hero trying to save the world against enemies that are obstacles but have honestly no alignment or hostility towards you until you challenge them, in the trailer the dialogue hints at the PC facing enemies that are clearly aligned against you this time. I think there is definitely room for more meaningful choices to be made with NPCs in this game than souls games, if they choose to go that way.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
With Miyazaki it's all about that sweet sweet ambiguity that leads you to question all the foundational myths the entire established order rests on. Was Gwyn a righteous lord of sunlight or was he a jealous tyrant? The answer is both.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Seems to me from the trailer that it's just a dark souls Dark Lord path. The tarnished all got exiled and now the level up waifu or whoever the kid who comes up to you wants you to kill all the demigods and get the Elden Ring so you can return to the lands between and be free. That's why she says brandish the Elden Ring for all of us.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ok saw it yesterday and have just watched it again, pausing some shit, and well, it looks really good. Still darker than I anticipated (especially having seen the leaked internal footage) in terms of lighting and designs both.

Lighting has received a boost I guess, it looks awesome, and art style is glorious as always. More detailed than ever.

In terms of mechanics and such, I'd like to see some extended footage, uncut, of some part of what seems the central area in the world. With that I'd need nothing more to see from it until release.

Very pleased with the release date, I hope it doesn't need to get delayed, and a 6/7 month marketing cycle is very fine I guess.

Pretty much satisfied with everything in this new reveal I think, except I still don't know exactly how it plays and wanna see more, pure and uncut, gameplay. I get there are new animations for attacks, magic and bow seem faster and very cool, there seems to be both rolling and evading... And it seems there's Series native version with smart delivery. Shit. Very nice, From, can't wait to play this as soon as it unlocks on Xbox digital.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
Seems to me from the trailer that it's just a dark souls Dark Lord path. The tarnished all got exiled and now the level up waifu or whoever the kid who comes up to you wants you to kill all the demigods and get the Elden Ring so you can return to the lands between and be free. That's why she says brandish the Elden Ring for all of us.
Yeah it seems to be a similar deal. But the main difference is that in ds3 it's kind of a moot point, you know it doesn't matter in a cycle or two. I don't think it's the same here.

mrjamesmurphy

Mar 10, 2021
I wish we could get past the idea that a game (like this) has to have the most cutting edge tech or it's ugly/disappointing. A lot can be done with art and design. I mean, games should run well, and that's definitely something FromSoft need to work on. But Elden Ring looks great from the merit of its art and design, and the tech, while not cutting edge, is good enough to visualize it well. And not all developers can realistically chase that ideal because of the inordinate cost, and when some of the best graphics are on more linear games by very specific studios, or from a developer that puts out one game in like 6 years and sells 50million copies.

Reducing the chase on "cutting edge" a little bit actually gives a game a lot of options, since they can spend the resources/manpower on making something that might be more interesting or just a different vision than what a game hyper-focused on graphics would be.

This sums up my feelings so well. Not just in relation to Elden Ring, but you see this attitude everywhere. Frankly I don't think that 80% of gamers even know what "4k 60fps" even means nor should they care. Challenging a game purely on graphics alone is such a pointless conversation when the majority of people who buy the title don't care. Obvious visual bugs like in CP or lazy pop-ins like in Sw/Sh are pretty much the line for me. Do I prefer 60fps? Sure as hell do. Am I gonna skip on a title because of that? Hell no.

There are games that clearly prioritize the visual experience. I like those games. I play those games. Not every game is meant to be one of them.

You see a lot of these people toss around terms like "engine," "shading," "textures," without really knowing what they mean. Or just the super vague "the graphics look bad" which is meaningless. Just let yourself enjoy stuff without worrying about numbers and metrics.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
As someone with hundreds of hours in the Switch version, yes. The only potential issues are 30 FPS (if you care about that, but since Switch is your only console I imagine you'd be used to it) and audio compression (which even I noticed as a newcomer, but I tuned it out after a while). Otherwise, you get the QOL features of the remaster, it can be portable and most importantly, if you play it offline in handheld mode you get to play the only version of any Dark Souls game with a pause button.
Thanks! Sounds like it's well worth playing on there as a Switch only gamer. Honestly if it gives me the same feeling I had when playing Demon's Souls over 10 years ago I'll be happy.

Another question, is it good enough with the joycons or needs to be played with a Pro Controller?

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Demon's Souls looks technically good, but they changed a lot of the architecture and enemy designs, and I personally think they all look worse.

FROM Software's art design is equal parts gross/ugly and hauntingly beautiful and just exploring that is the reason FROM can make these games in perpetuity and I'll always enjoy them.

I like how everything seems to be broken, including the landmass. I can totally see the structure of the game being a constant descent to whatever ground zero is at the bottom.

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
This sums up my feelings so well. Not just in relation to Elden Ring, but you see this attitude everywhere. Frankly I don't think that 80% of gamers even know what "4k 60fps" even means nor should they care. Challenging a game purely on graphics alone is such a pointless conversation when the majority of people who buy the title don't care. Obvious visual bugs like in CP or lazy pop-ins like in Sw/Sh are pretty much the line for me. Do I prefer 60fps? Sure as hell do. Am I gonna skip on a title because of that? Hell no.

There are games that clearly prioritize the visual experience. I like those games. I play those games. Not every game is meant to be one of them.

You see a lot of these people toss around terms like "engine," "shading," "textures," without really knowing what they mean. Or just the super vague "the graphics look bad" which is meaningless.
I mean we are in a new generation, and I think Demon's Souls Remake unfortunately set the bar for what a current Souls game should look like. The backlash isn't totally unreasonable and will probably continue to release date, but most likely become a whisper afterwards.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
The synopsis:

not reinventing the wheel,but building on what they already have saves them time to focus on improving or evolving everything else imo.

You can see from the trailer that this already looks like a compilation of all games in one and then some more. I can see glimpses of Sekiro,Bloodborne and Souls throughout the whole trailer

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
I mean we are in a new generation, and I think Demon's Souls Remake unfortunately set the bar for what a current Souls game should look like. The backlash isn't totally unreasonable and will probably continue to release date, but most likely become a whisper afterwards.
It is though.

It's one company known for their graphical and technical prowess remaking a game from 2 generations ago that has far less going on in it in terms of design and complexity vs another company that considers themselves to be a AA developer that is often known for not being great on a technical level making their largest and most complex game to date and doing it primarily on last gen consoles.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Do you think this large area around the Erdtree with the gothic castles and structures that we saw so much in the trailer is like the first land/kingdom we got to explore?

I know that trailers usually only showcase the first parts of the game but it's hard to imagine that most of the shit we saw is all early/mid-game content.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
I'm excited to see what kind of skills they added to the game. I also wonder if/what the significance of the red lightning is like in Bloodborne with Bolt being bluish instead of yellow like lightning in other From games. I swear Redgrave talked about it somewhere but I can't find it.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
It is though.

It's one company known for their graphical and technical prowess remaking a game from 2 generations ago that has far less going on in it in terms of design and complexity vs another company that considers themselves to be a AA developer that is often known for not being great on a technical level making their largest and most complex game to date and doing it primarily on last gen consoles.

But I mean what is the essence of that criticism? It's not like From decided to make the game look worse on purpose. They worked on it really hard and gave their best, I don't think we can expect or demand more. (And it looks gorgeous btw)

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
That trailer thread

SpiffyBigAngora-size_restricted.gif

So many weird takes and people hung up about it not having next gen visuals. FROM was never pushing graphics, instead they are going for a creative world and level design with some crazy and beautiful aesthetic style, which I prefer.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Do you think this large area around the Erdtree with the gothic castles and structures that we saw so much in the trailer is like the first land/kingdom we got to explore?

I know that trailers usually only showcase the first parts of the game but it's hard to imagine that most of the shit we saw is all early/mid-game content.
I think it's kind of like the Bloodborne trailer where it gave us the general feeling of the game, but no one saw the Eldritch Twist coming. I think there might be a similar moment where things are darker than they appear in a brightly colored world. If anything, I think a bright looking fantasy world will contrast well with the dark things that live in it.

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
It is though.

For the average gamer, I don't think it is. Add the fact that the awards and GRRMs involvement w/ ER have set a certain expectation for and brought a new audience (or new scrutiny) to this game. Anyways, it seems like there is some fallout with cross-gen titles at the start of every new gen. I'm not surprised at all.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
That trailer thread

SpiffyBigAngora-size_restricted.gif

So many weird takes and people hung up about it not having next gen visuals. FROM was never pushing graphics, instead they are going for a creative world and level design with some crazy and beautiful aesthetic style, which I prefer.
Some people just enjoy popping in and posting that stuff because they think it's funny to go into different communities and stir shit up. It's like the numerous "easy mode" threads: everything has been said about that and there's no reason to have more other than people who think it's funny to watch people freak out about it. I ignore it at this point; I'm going to love this game and that's all I'm worried about.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is releasing on my birthday so I can't complain 😌

I'm hyped as fuck. Bought the Dark Souls 3 DLC today, I never got to play it (even after 250 hours of DS3).

mrjamesmurphy

Mar 10, 2021
Comparing Demon's Souls remake to Elden Ring is dumb

Extremely. First, isn't it true that ER was meant to release before PS5 was out? (With an intended upgrade of course) We're basically looking at a PS4 game here that now is cross-gen due to the Covid delay.

Second, thats comparing a next-gen title where the main focus of the devs efforts is visual fidelity, with a cross-gen title where the dev time was spent on actually making the damn game.

Its like saying "SotC remake looks better than The Last Guardian." Of course it does. Why are we comparing remakes to fresh titles?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My expectations for the visuals were DS3/Sekiro level, was even expecting a bit worse due to it being open world.

Visuals went far beyond my expectations, It looks gorgeous. Things are always moving in the environment, making the world feel even more alive. The new dynamic lighting system Omni was talking about adds so much to the overall presentation. Fromsoftware just keeps getting better and better.

348ec47676c23c03952526e59a9660955cde8475.gifv

c1420a727a565e5f28c6ac8be9863f8dbb79d19d.gifv

51699411a7f77ac0e48fd975008ce5d9fbcc9760.gifv

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
can we all appreciate the sweetest thing that is discovering a new FromSoft game day one w/o a million guides and spoilers on the internet?

yeah, that's why i never skip day one with FromSoft.