Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
From spoiled a lot of things in the trailer or Elden Ring will be MASSIVE? Because holy shit, I looked older trailers, and they show just little compared with the final game, only on this there is like 10+ boss material

Well they did say it will be their biggest game yet and I would imagine that there will be a lot more optional or even secret bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's probably not going to be better than what we saw in the trailer and the extra screenshots, so I don't see why you wish ill for the PS4 players.
tenor.gif

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The "scorpion" boss from the trailer seems to be the gatekeeper for the big castle we see in the images (with the collapsed bridge).

And then you fight the multiple arms boss inside the castle, which is probably the "king" of that region.

In the Dragon fight the sky is red... could be something boss specific, or could also mean it's a late game boss fight when there were permanent changes to the world (like in Bloodorne when the moon gets exposed for example).

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the fact that one of the most important character's name is a spanish homophobic slur.
Well that's unfortunate. Only time I've seen the name was among Japanese people
I counted 5 maybe?

Light-hammer ghru guy
Arms guy
Beast guy
Lighting dragon

And maybe the red-haired lady but I'm not a 100% sure about her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest you think are bosses would be in fact mini-bosses (like the roaming giant colossus). But I agree with the sentiment, I'm still confused that they showed so much.

Well it's probably not going to be better than what we saw in the trailer and the extra screenshots, so I don't see why you wish ill for the PS4 players.

And I can't relate to that at all, the bosses kind of reminded me of Sekiro's bosses, both the models look better and the animations more fluid (look at that beast boss with red magic attacks)
Considering it's been awhile, I'm guessing bandai/from wanted the reveal to be explosive, which would explain why they showed a lot. Red haired lady is being a boss is very likely, and the scene where puts her helmet on could be an intro cutscene

DorsalHoca

Mar 1, 2021
I counted 5 maybe?

Light-hammer ghru guy
Arms guy
Beast guy
Lighting dragon

And maybe the red-haired lady but I'm not a 100% sure about her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest you think are bosses would be in fact mini-bosses (like the roaming giant colossus). But I agree with the sentiment, I'm still confused that they showed so much.

And I can't relate to that at all, the bosses kind of reminded me of Sekiro's bosses, both the models look better and the animations more fluid (look at that beast boss with red magic attacks)

There is also flying elk/moose thing, colossus, Smough, bearded guy, Sir Alonne-Penetrator looking guy, wyvern and paladin

Udreif

May 29, 2020
In the Dragon fight the sky is red... could be something boss specific, or could also mean it's a late game boss fight when there were permanent changes to the world (like in Bloodorne when the moon gets exposed for example).
If you pay attention to the very first shot the dragon appears in, you can just about see up in the cliffs that the sky is yellow. And then it's red in the later shots. I think it either happens mid-fight or it's unrelated to the dragon and it can be fought under different skies.

Oct 26, 2017
If you pay attention to the very first shot the dragon appears in, you can just about see up in the cliffs that the sky is yellow. And then it's red in the later shots. I think it either happens mid-fight or it's unrelated to the dragon and it can be fought under different skies.

There's a day/night cycle, I imagine it's just that in play

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I started a new run of Dark Souls Remastered, honestly after playing the remake of Demon's Souls looks very rough, but I don't mind it because is amazing. I'm so hyped for Elden Rig god.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
This game is gonna have the best controlling mount ever seen in a game. After Sekiro I have full confidence in that.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
So watching through the trailer again...

What's up with all the hollows in the game? Is this the 'unending curse' again, some kind of undeath? I hope we get some new lore for them (and for player resurrection), they used the undeath-curse so many times already.

Why does the Ghru boss arena seems to be only a few steps away from the Arm Guy's castle/arena? I guess he's guarding the castle's entrance but it seems like the Arm Guy is right next to him.

What's going on with the pot guys? I can't wait to see From jumping through some hilarious lore hoops to explain the living pots.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Uh what do you mean concept art?

That doesn't mean it's art for something yet to be implemented. It could simply be concept art that was used already for the game, but they are now releasing it to the public. Or, it could just be something that was decided not to be used, but they still had the concept art for it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

What's up with all the hollows in the game? Is this the 'unending curse' again, some kind of undeath? I hope we get some new lore for them (and for player resurrection), they used the undeath-curse so many times already.

Why does the Ghru boss arena seems to be only a few steps away from the Arm Guy's castle/arena? I guess he's guarding the castle's entrance but it seems like the Arm Guy is right next to him.

What's going on with the pot guys? I can't wait to see From jumping through some hilarious lore hoops to explain the living pots.

idk about hoops. It'll probably just be something like, "the remains of human beings' ashes were placed in these pots, but their greed remained, eventually pushing back past death, and rekindling a twisted form of life that hungers after riches...among other things."

That doesn't mean it's art for something yet to be implemented. It could simply be concept art that was used already for the game, but they are now releasing it to the public.

No I mean...that's clearly just a screenshot of the game. Whatever 2D dirt effect they have is covering much of the screen, and the entire thing is rendered exactly like in game stuff is, down to the lighting and everything. Look at how the grass is in the ground. No one paints grass like that, or does a render like that. That's...very clearly a screenshot.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. That shot of the cave with the eggs looks like it's borderline an actual in game shot on PC and a painting to me though.

I...what? What kind of screen are you looking at these things on? These are screenshots.

Why would from release a collection of screenshots with that bug one as the random one out? What?

EDIT:

"official screenshots"

https://twitter.com/erikkain/status/1403166026401943552?s=20

What device are you looking at these things on?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I...what? What kind of screen are you looking at these things on? These are screenshots.

Why would from release a collection of screenshots with that bug one as the random one out? What?

Looking on a 1440p desktop monitor. It doesn't look like a game shot at all if you look at the vegetation on the right, and what look like smudge marks all over the "fog". The creature looks like it could be an in game asset, but not the rest aside from some of the grass. Them showing in game shots and what look like paintings is what threw me off with the cave.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Looking on a 1440p desktop monitor. It doesn't look like a game shot at all if you look at the vegetation on the right, and what look like smudge marks all over the "fog".

I don't know what to tell you because straight from the horse's mouth they are the official screenshots from bamco's press release

www.forbes.com

Behold, A Bunch Of ‘Elden Ring’ Screenshots From The New Gameplay Trailer

Check out new Elden Ring screenshots from today's Summer Game Fest gameplay trailer.

I don't even know how you are seeing these are concept art. It doesn't have the dung beetle in here that I can see but it does have your eggs one.

You're talking about the vegetation but like...that's clearly got the dirt effect over it. It's a 2D effect that from has already used in other games. It's very low cost graphically and does things like this. And speaking of vegetation look at the grass at the bottom right. It has the weird grass clipping you do in video games that you don't do in literally anything else cuz it looks bad. You can also see clear aliasing on the vegetation too, which is not something you would see in concept art.

EDIT: and note the clover floating in the air. That's an asset from has already used in water locations before.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You're talking about the vegetation but like...that's clearly got the dirt effect over it. It's a 2D effect that from has already used in other games. It's very low cost graphically and does things like this. And speaking of vegetation look at the grass at the bottom right. It has the weird grass clipping you do in video games that you don't do in literally anything else cuz it looks bad. You can also see clear aliasing on the vegetation too, which is not something you would see in concept art.

I am not talking about a "dirt effect". It looks like brush strokes for the vegetation. I guess they could have used an in game effect and are trying to make it look somewhat like Diablo 3 in that regard, but then why do it for only some of the vegetation and not all? The plants on the side look painted, and the plants in the far background look brush stroked too.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about a "dirt effect". It looks like brush strokes for the vegetation. I guess they could have used an in game effect and are trying to make it look somewhat like Diablo 3 in that regard, but then why do it for only some of the vegetation and not all? The plants on the side look painted, and the plants in the far background look brush stroked too.

How are you not seeing that this is the bug kicking up dirt, which, because it is a transparent 2D effect, is covering the screen is multiple splotches. You can literally see the separation in these splotches as separate from the items behind them.

Look at the actual geometry behind. See the roof there on the top left? See how it doesn't actually curve but is divided into low poly divisions? There is zero reason to do that in a concept art. Nobody does that in concept art. Again, like with the aliasing on the grass there on the right. That is real geometry from an in game screenshot.

The reason the vegetation looks like that is a combination of how less complex the lighting is on vegetation of that nature, and the 2D effect overlaying a dull color that gives them a duller, more painterly look.

Udreif

May 29, 2020

Yeah, it's a different version of the concept. Instead of a curse where people die and lose themselves over and over, (I think) people seem to just die and then stay alive anyway because reality is broken.

And yeah they've used it so many times, but you kind of have to do something like that if you want player characters and enemies that respawn. They also tackle it differently in every ip, so I guess they just like exploring that trope.

The synopsis:

"Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord."

Undead again, then? Really are leaning into the "Souls, but bigger" thing. I have no problem with that at all, though obviously you gotta hope there's more to it

It's kind of like an overblown version of it. There's the theme of the order of the world being broken. The phrase "dead who yet live" makes me feel like most of these undead are running on borrowed time, already truly dead but without the consequences (yet). If the order of the world is restored as it was before, they'll probably finally die, but if a new order is established, they may not have to.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How are you not seeing that this is the bug kicking up dirt, which, because it is a transparent 2D effect, is covering the screen is multiple splotches. You can literally see the separation in these splotches as separate from the items behind them.

Look at the actual geometry behind. See the roof there on the top left? See how it doesn't actually curve but is divided into low poly divisions? There is zero reason to do that in a concept art. Nobody does that in concept art. Again, like with the aliasing on the grass there on the right. That is real geometry from an in game screenshot.

I really have no idea what you're seeing, but it doesn't look like in game assets are being used in the entire image. Some of it looks like it could be, while much of it looks like it's painted. Why would they do a split like that? They probably wouldn't, and the "aliasing" is either something going on with the resolution, or you're just seeing strokes that aren't clean.

Shot.jpg

The encircled looks nothing like anything other than paint to me.

I don't know what to tell you because straight from the horse's mouth they are the official screenshots from bamco's press release

What am I supposed to be seeing from these obvious screenshots? I'm not seeing the cave nor the shot above, and to top it off, what's shown in that link is low res as fuck.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It does look like in-game screenshot with some dirk mask or whatnot. If you zoom on the grass you can see the edges are pixelated.

Exactly, that's the aliasing I'm talking about. That and it could even just be low quality foliage, which would make sense. Either way most definitely isn't something you'd do in concept art.

Why would they do a split like that?

This...have you ever looked at vegetation in video games closely? I don't know how else to answer this. This is very normal for video games to have vegetation look weird like that. It ESPECIALLY looks very normal for something from fromsoft.

the "aliasing" is either something going on with the resolution, or you're just seeing strokes that aren't clean.

No I'm talking about the actual aliasing that fantalas also sees on distinct blades of grass below the vegetation you've circled there. Actually in the bottom left of your circle you can see weird jagged edges on the grass. That is not something that someone drawing concept art does. It just isn't. I've lived with and follow people who do concept art. That is not something that they would do.

And again, are you not seeing the dome geometry top left? That is game geometry. No one would take a curve like that and divide it into edges.

What about the super faded out detail of the pillar? Nobody draws like that. Like. Nobody. Nobody draws something that faded. That is real geometry being occluded by a transparent effect. No one is going to do the detail that is there on the wall behind the weird squiggly middle of the dirt texture. You have to seriously strain to see it, but you can see a ton of detail exists there only to be occluded by a lower resolution dirt texture. That isn't how people do this stuff.

And surely you don't think the dung ball itself is painted right?

What am I supposed to be seeing from these obvious screenshots? I'm not seeing the cave nor the shot above, and to top it off, what's shown in that link is low res as fuck.

Go to the tweets posted at the bottom that have high res versions of the shots. As I said, I was bringing that up because the bug egg concept art you mentioned I knew for a fact I'd seen always accompanied by other screenshots. And sure enough it's because they were in the official press release screenshot folder. It doesn't make sense for that one to suddenly be the odd one out.

EDIT: Here is the press kit itself

Press Assets Download

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Here is the press kit itself

Press Assets Download

Thanks. What's in the screenshot folder I always thought were screenshots anyway (aside from maybe the cave), but looking at the higher res versions of them shows some of the same characteristics on the trees that I was seeing in the snail art. In the screenshot of the guy on the horse in the forest, and the party shot, the trees have that smeared look that you normally don't see in a game unless some gross XBR filter is being used for whatever reason.

fmb-

Dec 13, 2019
Any ideas for NG+? Do you think they'll add something new or just increase the difficulty?
Would be awesome to see something new/different in NG+.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Somebody on Reddit spotted the giant chalice/cauldron from the snowy area of the leaked footage.

6mrb2erm8t471.png

This just furthers the impression that almost all of the scenes are from the area or land around the Erdtree. Even the short shot with the big hand in the snow has the tree in the background, close to the canopy.

Any ideas for NG+? Do you think they'll add something new or just increase the difficulty?
Would be awesome to see something new/different in NG+.
I don't really have high expectations on that front, but we can hope for something better I guess. Maybe late-game enemies roam around even in early game areas or just increase some spawn rates or whatnot.

Last edited:

fmb-

Dec 13, 2019
Do you think different enemies will spawn according to the different time of day? Something lIke stronger enemies at night.

Yeah, definitely. I hope at night you can hear enemies trying to sneak up on you or something.

Some enemies might be more fond of the moon and the dark and will come out at night.
Some areas/caves/hidden stuff might only be seen in moonlight or such. Would be awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
I think Omni said this happens.

That would be really cool.

Yeah, definitely. I hope at night you can hear enemies trying to sneak up on you or something.

Some enemies might be more fond of the moon and the dark and will come out at night.
Some areas/caves/hidden stuff might only be seen in moonlight or such. Would be awesome!

Amazing ideas if they put that in the game. I can't wait to explore all these areas during night time.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I do wonder if they'll be able to include massive cities like Yharnam, The Ringed City, Lothric, Ashina in a big open world.

Don't get me wrong the game looks epic but there hasn't been anything on that scale revealed yet.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I do wonder if they'll be able to include massive cities like Yharnam, The Ringed City, Lothric, Ashina in a big open world.
I'm a bit sceptical honestly, Miyazaki said there wouldn't be any (populated) cities, now that doesn't necessarily exclude these more desolate cities that you listed, but I'm keeping my expectations low on this. Maybe we'll get some larger castle-complexes instead, like High Wall of Lothrick + Lothrick Castle.
Don't get me wrong the game looks epic but there hasn't been anything on that scale revealed yet.

Yeah that's something I missed a bit from the trailer (although it had more than enough other stuff to make up for it), is some larger, more varied landscapes like snowy mountains or plains or whatnot; what Omni called multiple lands each with its unique visuals. Although maybe they didn't want to spoil us.

Apr 3, 2020
Does the footage in the trailer run on PS4 or PS5? I'm confused since this game is crossgen

I do guess a next gen console. Why,

Because the sparks coming from wepaons in the trailer looks like Sekiro on the consoles, Sekiro on PC have like 10x times better sparks on effect, it enough to make a man sick.

One thing to point out is that I'm usually more hype with animation rather than graphic, but the animation in the trailer is not very impressive or authentic especially in comparison with Sekiro's animation.

That's because Sekiro have a fixed character, that's the reason why I'm always 100% percent with fixed character.
Or maybe a special event like the blood moon in botw. "Buring sky" event that caused by the Shattering made the world unstable that cause other creatures from other realems to sneak in.

Gabri

Jun 30, 2020
Wonder what would be the equivalent of a crystal lizard in this game
Probably the potheads 😂. Gotta love fromsofts puns.

Everything shown in the trailer is more than I wanted. Only thing I need to find out to help ease my mind is if PvP exists. It only confirms coop but not PvP or Coop.

I hope omnipotent can help confirm it since so many articles are saying it might not have PvP but only coop.