Gabri

Jun 30, 2020
Probably the potheads 😂. Gotta love fromsofts puns.

Everything shown in the trailer is more than I wanted. Only thing I need to find out to help ease my mind is if PvP exists. It only confirms coop but not PvP or Coop.

I hope omnipotent can help confirm it since so many articles are saying it might not have PvP but only coop.
I meant to say only confirms coop but not PvP and invasions there at the 5th sentence.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Just wanted to say that the game looks beautiful and it already surpasses all of the expectations that I had for it.
The devs at Fromsoft really are masters at their craft!

Also shoutout to all of the incredible artists in this community. I love seeing how quickly people came out of the woodwork to represent their fav characters in the trailer. Just some of the few that I saw recently:

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Ture, but felt like something special they would show it in the trailer, just like super jump and double jump.
Yeah that's my guess too, they would have showcased it.
Same with swimming, we can give up that too. Not surprised or even disappointed too much, but it would have been cool to swim around in an open-world setting.

I meant to say only confirms coop but not PvP and invasions there at the 5th sentence.
He already did confirm PvP, multiple times.

Gabri

Jun 30, 2020
I don't know since Sekiro looks so much better on PC than the PS4 version, not only the framerate but everything just looks better. I hope that's the case with Elden Ring.
One thing to point out is that I'm usually more hype with animation rather than graphic, but the animation in the trailer is not very impressive or authentic especially in comparison with Sekiro's animation. I'm in hope for some sick-ass move from the boss, and I hope bosses in Elden Ring will be as interactive as Sekiro's one, I mean, bosses in DS3 and Demon's Souls Remake are kinda stupid with very few movements.

I played sekiro as well and I genuinely don't so how you can tell the movement is not as good as sekiro from that trailer. It looked just as good as current fromsoft games which are all tiers above any other action game movement wise.

Gabri

Jun 30, 2020
He already did confirm PvP, multiple times.

I know it was mentioned by omni. It's just that dks3 japanese official website says 1-6 players while elden ring says 1-4. Also the description only mention people helping meaning coop. Not to mention, all articles and big news youtubers keep saying no PvP just coop. I don't doubt omni at all and its why I'm asking him here now. Its just they might have scraped it last minute due to technical issues that is worrying me.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I know it was mentioned by omni. It's just that dks3 japanese official website says 1-6 players while elden ring says 1-4. Also the description only mention people helping meaning coop. Not to mention, all articles and big news youtubers keep saying no PvP just coop. I don't doubt omni at all and its why I'm asking him here now. Its just they might have scraped it last minute due to technical issues that is worrying me.
Would be weird to scrap PvP of all things. It's pretty foundational for souls games, I bet they designed a lot around PvP builds and such. I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

One other thing was I wondering about if we're going to get some other progression systems, because I think the usual stats, weapon from +0 to +10 and estus upgrades could wear off fast, they were designed for relatively smaller games and I'm not sure how they would scale it. Maybe they could go from +0 to +15 or whatever but I'm not sure if that's enough because it would be really hard to distribute these upgrades (upgrade materials, estus upgrades, etc.) across a really vast world so that it keeps up with the pacing no matter how you progress (doing a lot of optional stuff or going straight to main bosses) and not being too repetative.

Like I can't imagine a world that's only filled with titanites, soul consumables and green blossoms or whatnot, I think the larger scale should necessitate some other cool systems that could enable the world to filled up with cool rewards. (maybe this "finding skills in the world" alludes to this?)

I really need some interviews dang.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
The trailer shows the phantoms fighting each other.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Likely we will see more stuff at the BN show on Tuesday?
Sekiro got an interview just 5 days after the trailer, and several new trailers in the following months. I would guess so.

www.usgamer.net

Dark Souls Director Miyazaki on How Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a New Direction for FromSoftware

This weekend, FromSoftware revealed its mysterious new action-adventure game, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. While there are elements of FromSoftware's Soulsborn...

Although the interview was a bit slim, I hope for a longer one this time or multiple interviews would be even better.

Last edited:

mrjamesmurphy

Mar 10, 2021
My bet is we get an interview near the Bandai showcase.

Im really interested to see how the kingdom structure plays out. I think we see 2 kingdoms in the trailer (spooky castle with blue mist, orange mountain/cave with the spectral tower) and a third in the leak (kingdom of snows).

My head canon is that we have the Erdtree open field, tucked away in that region are the different entrances to the kingdoms (chalice to snow kingdom behind tree). Omni said something that really stuck with me, that the game rewards you for exploring further and further away from the field. My guess is we have an almost DeS like structure where each kingdom is explorable to start……and then jumps in difficulty as you go further, culminating in the kingdom leader. Better loot as you go deeper.

I also wonder if 1-2 kingdoms will be locked behind Metroidvania upgrades for progress purposes.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
The "scorpion" boss from the trailer seems to be the gatekeeper for the big castle we see in the images (with the collapsed bridge).

And then you fight the multiple arms boss inside the castle, which is probably the "king" of that region.

In the Dragon fight the sky is red... could be something boss specific, or could also mean it's a late game boss fight when there were permanent changes to the world (like in Bloodorne when the moon gets exposed for example).
Also, at the end of the trailer it looks like Arm Guy attaches a severed dragon head to his left arm that then becomes animated again. I can't wait to learn his story.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Well that's unfortunate. Only time I've seen the name was among Japanese people

Considering it's been awhile, I'm guessing bandai/from wanted the reveal to be explosive, which would explain why they showed a lot. Red haired lady is being a boss is very likely, and the scene where puts her helmet on could be an intro cutscene

I wonder if any of the bosses are optional in the sense that you could help them instead of fighting them, sort of like joining a covenant but it's a kingdom instead. Like when Arm Guy says "kneel" what if you actually can?

Udreif

May 29, 2020
I wonder if any of the bosses are optional in the sense that you could help them instead of fighting them, sort of like joining a covenant but it's a kingdom instead. Like when Arm Guy says "kneel" what if you actually can?
That's one of the first things I thought of on my first rewatches. I bet there's a kneeling gesture

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Would be weird to scrap PvP of all things. It's pretty foundational for souls games, I bet they designed a lot around PvP builds and such. I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

One other thing was I wondering about if we're going to get some other progression systems, because I think the usual stats, weapon from +0 to +10 and estus upgrades could wear off fast, they were designed for relatively smaller games and I'm not sure how they would scale it. Maybe they could go from +0 to +15 or whatever but I'm not sure if that's enough because it would be really hard to distribute these upgrades (upgrade materials, estus upgrades, etc.) across a really vast world so that it keeps up with the pacing no matter how you progress (doing a lot of optional stuff or going straight to main bosses) and not being too repetative.

Like I can't imagine a world that's only filled with titanites, soul consumables and green blossoms or whatnot, I think the larger scale should necessitate some other cool systems that could enable the world to filled up with cool rewards. (maybe this "finding skills in the world" alludes to this?)

I really need some interviews dang.
I would guess that there are kingdom specific materials and items in addition to stuff you can find anywhere.

Thorway97

May 15, 2018
random thought, if from itself defines elden ring as their greatest project, does that mean that elden rign will have more locations, bosses, ect even than Dark Souls 2?

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
random thought, if from itself defines elden ring as their greatest project, does that mean that elden rign will have more locations, bosses, ect even than Dark Souls 2?

Quality and quantity are different things. DS2 suffered from too many ideas and most of them were not fleshed out (zones were super tiny). Elden Ring will likely be fairly large, but it won't be defined by the number of areas that it has, or the number of bosses. Sekiro arguably has the best boss designs of all their games, but the number was fairly low, because it's really hard to design enemies with that combat system (and there were ways to exploit AI harder than the other games, so there is still a ton of room for improvement).

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with the player character's long white hair? Is that part of the helmet or are we getting vastly different hair options this time?

knight_cream

Jun 11, 2018
NYC
Definitely just the armor.

I thought so too but I hope it's indicative of longer hairstyle options and greater character customization in general. I love fiddling around with my character and I hope we get the option to change our appearances again.

On a related note I hope we can get the whip phantoms pointy hat for ourselves.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Anybody been interested in anything else so far? Besides Battlefield 2042 and potentially Planet of Lana, there hasn't been too much I'm interested in.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I thought so too but I hope it's indicative of longer hairstyle options and greater character customization in general. I love fiddling around with my character and I hope we get the option to change our appearances again.

On a related note I hope we can get the whip phantoms pointy hat for ourselves.

You will definitely be able to get it. I think Souls games have been really good about letting you wear/use anything humanoid. Even in the trailer, you can see that the weapon used by the enemy at 0:57 is the one you are holding at 2:17. The larger nature of the game will make hunting down specific gear much more exciting in the first playthrough. Equipment weren't all that hidden in the other souls games most of the time.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
3Y9WwAj.jpg

vNRXjrE.jpg

xydtLhI.jpg

Same guy

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
I counted 5 maybe?

Light-hammer ghru guy
Arms guy
Beast guy
Lighting dragon

And maybe the red-haired lady but I'm not a 100% sure about her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest you think are bosses would be in fact mini-bosses (like the roaming giant colossus). But I agree with the sentiment, I'm still confused that they showed so much.

Let's see, in order of appearance.

1. Centipede with a Crown guy (maybe a common enemy or miniboss)
2. Scorpion tail guy
3. Werewolf armored Guts guy
4. White two wings Dragon
5. Red haired lady
6. 60 Arms guy with a giant Axe
7. Guy with telekinesis red/black (maybe mini boss)
8. Flying Dragon (only one wing)
9. Smough with Vessel guy
10. Giant without a arm
11. Flying horned creature
12. Shield and Huge sworld guy (maybe common enemy)
13. Giant hand with fire
14. Giant face with wheels
15. Viking guy
16. Wings armored guy

There are more from the sceenshots on the From site too, like a Giant with a white Veil running in the forest and the weird guy on the back of horse. Also, that giant yellow Hand maybe be something too.

Edit:
The post above said that 12 and 16 maybe is the same guy, so 15.

Last edited:

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Nah that sounds too ambitious.

I think there might be some common enemy types from a certain faction that you can make friends with if you join that faction, that seems conceivable

Well they don't seem to continue with the classic area design with well defined areas, so it's hard to tell but it's certainly going to be larger than DS2 in terms of content. As for bosses, I'd guess around 20+ maybe some 22-26. DS3 had 19 and this seems like a larger game with more optional bosses/minibosses (for instance roaming creatures like the bell turtle and the colossus).

Anybody been interested in anything else so far? Besides Battlefield 2042 and potentially Planet of Lana, there hasn't been too much I'm interested in.

These are mine so far:

Elderand
Rubi: The Wayward Mira
The Eternal Cylinder
Salt and Sacrifice
Planet of Lana
Unbound: Worlds Apart

Yeah E3 has been pretty slim so far aside from ER and a few indie goodies

Let's see, in order of appearance.

Okay you listed the enemies, as I said I think maybe 5 or 6 of these are actual bosses.

Last edited:

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
What's the deal with the player character's long white hair? Is that part of the helmet or are we getting vastly different hair options this time?
I watched a few breakdown videos yesterday, but I think it was Vaati who was talking about the white hair. He speculated that tarnished lose their luster and their hair turns white from the red we see on the Valkyrie. Seemed far-fetched but then I noticed another character had white hair in the trailer. The others have their hair covered by helmets / hoods.
* Edit* Actually most of the hair in the trailer is white after a 3rd look, bosses & characters. The only exceptions being the valkyrie and the naked man being grabbed by the hand which seems like an opening sequence?

Last edited:

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
I watched a few breakdown videos yesterday, but I think it was Vaati that was talking about the white hair. He speculated that tarnished lose their luster and their hair turns white from the red we see on the Valkyrie. Seemed far-fetched but then I noticed another character had white hair in the trailer. The others have their hair covered by helmets / hoods.

So we gotta dye our hair every time we revive?!! 🤣

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
I really like the term "Tarnished", I think its my favorite so far. It's a very apt and deliberate term and I think it works wonderfully. Thinking about it in context, tarnished could almost be seen as a slurI don't really want to spoil it myself but if I may drop some hints for the sake of guiding discussion.

Vaati was on on the right track in bringing up the definition of tarnished, particularly in relation to metal.
There's also a consistent use of a particular color, one that happens to share its name with a metal
It doesn't seem to be on the English site for Elden Ring, but the Japanese one also mentions the use of said color/metal in an interesting way ;)

Here's a translation of the Japanese prologue from a Redditor that I think is useful for speculation as it mentions things the English one does not.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
The metal is gold clearly (the only we heard of so far with significance), so tarnished means the loss of the golden color, turning to pale white?

If that's the case, I'd guess this signifies a separation or distance from the Ring (the gold color of the Ring). As I see it the Ring was supplying life in some manner so I guess this is a degradation of lifeform or a loss of life essence.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Okay you listed the enemies, as I said I think maybe 5 or 6 of these are actual bosses.

No, I listed what I believe are boss fights.
I really like the term "Tarnished", I think its my favorite so far. It's a very apt and deliberate term and I think it works wonderfully. Thinking about it in context, tarnished could almost be seen as a slurI don't really want to spoil it myself but if I may drop some hints for the sake of guiding discussion.

Vaati was on on the right track in bringing up the definition of tarnished, particularly in relation to metal.
There's also a consistent use of a particular color, one that happens to share its name with a metal
It doesn't seem to be on the English site for Elden Ring, but the Japanese one also mentions the use of said color/metal in an interesting way ;)

Here's a translation of the Japanese prologue from a Redditor that I think is useful for speculation as it mentions things the English one does not.

I don't know if anyone talked about it, but in the PT-BR translate we got "Infame Sem Luz" for Tarnished term. Infamous without light for a literal translation.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Ignore them, just be happy that it wont be long before you have the definitive Fromsoft experience in your hands. As hype as the trailer was, I think once people start hearing more detailed stuff about the systems, design and direction of the game then hype will start to reach fever pitch. It's so much more than just Dark Souls 4, or just another Souls or Fromsoft game. It's THE Souls or Fromsoft game. Lots of people missing the forest for the trees.

Please don't stop.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham

Here was my early predictions based on the first trailer awhile back:

Alright, here's my way too early thoughts on the world of Elden Ring based on the official teaser:

So "Elden" has multiple meanings but one of those meanings is "fire" and in the Trailer we see that giant, armored guy burst into flames on the battlefield as he looks into the sky. What if he's not burning but instead the fire is leaving him because the Elden Ring, which represents fire, has been shattered? Fire has often been linked to the soul:

So basically that fire would be part or all of that person's soul leaving their body. The ancient Greeks also saw fire as necessary for all the other elements to exist:

The interlocking rings look just like Borromean rings which have represented many things throughout history (such as different classical elements). So you have fire, earth, water, (perhaps even more based on the picture of the Elden Ring) all linked together but the Elden (fire) ring is what allows them all to work. These linked rings are also known as what's called a Brunnian link which is any set of linked shapes where if any one link is removed they all become unlinked. If the Elden Ring broke not only would the other elements stop working properly but everything's soul would leave their body and that's why we see red hair and white hair; when their souls/fire left their bodies so did the red in their hair in order to represent that. Without a soul things wouldn't be alive, but they also wouldn't be dead, they'd be stuck in a limbo unable die and probably changing into grotesque creatures.

Alright, that's all I've got. Obviously this isn't likely to be what the game is about but I thought it would be fun to speculate on the lore with no real information and see if I was close in any way, haha. Anyone else spend way too much time thinking about the lore based on a very short trailer?

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
No, I listed what I believe are boss fights.

I don't know if anyone talked about it, but in the PT-BR translate we got "Infame Sem Luz" for Tarnished term. Infamous without light for a literal translation.
In Italian they went directly with "Without light". Without a space, it's not even an actual word. Though it does have a nice ring (sorry) to it.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Here was my early predictions based on the first trailer awhile back:
The elements aspect didn't seem to be correct, the Ring seems much more like some golden life-essence (as the webpage said, it is the source of the Erdtree) than having to do with fire. But white hair could be something related to losing one's soul or essence as opposed to red-hair where it could be more intact.

Though we could note that even in the trailer some characters had red hair (Lady + Giant, although it might be just his helmet) and some white (Arm Guy + Blacksmith) and none of them changed their color in the new trailer, so we don't really witness anyone's hair changing. Plus why would the Blacksmith guy(s) have white hair? He/She seems to be pretty close to the Ring, some sort of Demigods maybe, they don't really look like lowly tarnished at all.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
The elements aspect didn't seem to be correct, the Ring seems much more like some golden life-essence (as the webpage said, it is the source of the Erdtree) than having to do with fire. But white hair could be something related to losing one's soul or essence as opposed to red-hair where it could be more intact.

Though we could note that even in the trailer some characters had red hair (Lady + Giant, although it might be just his helmet) and some white (Arm Guy + Blacksmith) and none of them changed their color in the new trailer, so we don't really witness anyone's hair changing. Plus why would the Blacksmith guy(s) have white hair? He/She seems to be pretty close to the Ring, some sort of Demigods maybe, they don't really look like lowly tarnished at all.
I'm not saying I was spot on about everything, just a fun look at what I said earlier compared to what we know now.

eldenjon

Banned
May 15, 2018
....But white hair could be something related to losing one's soul or essence as opposed to red-hair where it could be more intact.

Re: blacksmith are you referring to the first trailer? I get the feeling that that trailer is more about history and lore. It's possible some bosses we have seen are mere gatekeepers, given special status or abilities by the Elden Lords which are presumably bearers of the Elden Ring fragments.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Re: blacksmith are you referring to the first trailer? I get the feeling that that trailer is more about history and lore. It's possible some bosses we have seen are mere gatekeepers, given special status or abilities by the Elden Lords which are presumably bearers of the Elden Ring fragments.
The more grotesque looking bosses all have white hair, while the Valkyrie Lady still looks human and has red hair so I can't wait to learn more about that.

Edit: Also, the red haired giant has a gold iris while the white haired creatures don't seem to have eyes at all or they're dark or something and there's the saying that eyes are the window to the soul.

Last edited:

eldenjon

Banned
May 15, 2018
The more grotesque looking bosses all have white hair, while the Valkyrie Lady still looks human and has red hair so I can't wait to learn more about that.

Edit: Also, the red haired giant has a gold iris while the white haired creatures don't seem to have eyes at all or they're dark or something.
From the link that Omni posted: "On another note, curiously "Erdtree" is written in the English where the Japanese is 黄金樹, or "Golden Tree". "Golden Order" on the other hand is no where to be seen in the original Japanese. The English text also leaves out parts of the Japanese. I.E. that they lost the golden blessing "from their eyes"… and seeing the monster with the eyes in the newly released trailer at Summer Game Festival 2021…well there is definitely a better sense of mystery in the Japanese prologue text that seems to match up with what's shown in the trailer. ."

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
when the giant died in the og trailer he emitted some kind of gold dust..i guess this gold dust is maybe a part of the elden ring itself? and also the game main currency similar to souls

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
From the link that Omni posted: "On another note, curiously "Erdtree" is written in the English where the Japanese is 黄金樹, or "Golden Tree". "Golden Order" on the other hand is no where to be seen in the original Japanese. The English text also leaves out parts of the Japanese. I.E. that they lost the golden blessing "from their eyes"… and seeing the monster with the eyes in the newly released trailer at Summer Game Festival 2021…well there is definitely a better sense of mystery in the Japanese prologue text that seems to match up with what's shown in the trailer. ."
That makes a lot of sense. I added to my edit the term "eyes are the window to the soul" which would fit with why the monstrosities don't have the gold in their eyes.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Okay just reading the synopsis on the Bandai website and it seems pretty to me clear who the Tarnished are

"And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring."

This grace of gold is clearly the grace of the Ring and the Tarnished were abandoned by it some time ago, hence the name tarnished as in loss of golden quality, being distanced from the Ring's grace.

What looks interesting is this 'Ye dead who yet live' (being addressed to the tarnished), could this mean that the grace of the Ring allows people to die properly? (and pass onto the afterlife or be reborn or whathaveyou)

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I'm wondering if the gold/Elden Ring is formed from the sap of the Erdtree, like it flows from the tree and gives everything life.
"the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered."

It doesn't seem to flow from the tree, quite opposite, the tree sprung from the Ring.
What's not clear is that is being the source of the tree is the defining quality of the Ring or is it just one of the characteristics of the Ring. Like the Ring does a lot of things, among which giving life to the Erdtree is one thing.