• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the Marvel movies and love this game art but the gameplay looks atrocious imo even up against the Warriors type games.

Disappointed the game seems so mp focused too.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like how vivid it looks!

A Marvel vs. Capcom in that artstyle would be lit.
Or a Marvel vs. Nintendo by Capcom, pls ;'v

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a MUA game but I've been interested for a while so I keep coming back to this thread giving the video more chances to win me over but...it just doesn't look good to me. Visual style reminds me more of sterile mobile gaming than console gaming and nothing about the gameplay is standing out. I'm still hoping a future video changes my mind and shows off more interesting environments. At least I can say the cutscenes look fun, I like those.

Having never personally played either, what were the main differences?
The main difference comes down to how in depth the RPG mechanics were. In MUA1, each character had more abilities available than you could equip so you had to choose your abilities. They also had multiple costumes that granted different passive abilities you could upgrade (e.x. Deadpool's healing factor) so you had to choose costumes. And they had gear drops you could equip.

MUA2 dropped the number of abilities to 4 so you don't have to choose abilities, which is something MUA3 retains. It also got rid of gear which thankfully it sounds like MUA3 brought back. MUA2 also got rid of the costumes, the GI video didn't mention how passive abilities were handled but I feel like if there was customization/choice involved like MUA1 they would have mentioned it in the RPG elements section. It added Boosts (party wide bonuses) which MUA3 also brought bad.

Basically MUA2 dumbed down the RPG elements from MUA1, and even MUA1 dumbed down the RPG elements from XML2 but I still found it enjoyable, so I was hoping MUA3 would course correct and have more RPG mechanics. It's the 4 abilities that worries me the most. 4 is not enough to maintain variety an entire game, and having only 1 ability for levels 1-10 is gonna be painful I think. The removal of grab is also weird, at the end of the day it was another attack option for a game already light on options, which is fine, but the last thing we need is less options.

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The main difference comes down to how in depth the RPG mechanics were. In MUA1, each character had more abilities available than you could equip so you had to choose your abilities. They also had multiple costumes that granted different passive abilities you could upgrade (e.x. Deadpool's healing factor) so you had to choose costumes. And they had gear drops you could equip.

MUA2 dropped the number of abilities to 4 so you don't have to choose abilities, which is something MUA3 retains. It also got rid of gear which thankfully it sounds like MUA3 brought back. MUA2 also got rid of the costumes, the GI video didn't mention how passive abilities were handled but I feel like if there was customization/choice involved like MUA1 they would have mentioned it in the RPG elements section. It added Boosts (party wide bonuses) which MUA3 also brought bad.

Basically MUA2 dumbed down the RPG elements from MUA1, and even MUA1 dumbed down the RPG elements from XML2 but I still found it enjoyable, so I was hoping MUA3 would course correct and have more RPG mechanics. It's the 4 abilities that worries me the most. 4 is not enough to maintain variety an entire game, and having only 1 ability for levels 1-10 is gonna be painful I think. The removal of grab is also weird, at the end of the day it was another attack option for a game already light on options, which is fine, but the last thing we need is less options.
Grab us still a button just you do an actual grab attack rather than a carry

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a MUA game but I've been interested for a while so I keep coming back to this thread giving the video more chances to win me over but...it just doesn't look good to me. Visual style reminds me more of sterile mobile gaming than console gaming and nothing about the gameplay is standing out. I'm still hoping a future video changes my mind and shows off more interesting environments. At least I can say the cutscenes look fun, I like those.

Having never personally played either, what were the main differences?

If you start with X-Men Legends, the series began as an action RPG (XML1 + XML2), then became more of an action game that retained some of its past RPG elements (MUA1) before switching to a full-on beat'em up/brawler with linear progression and modifiers (MUA2).

Each entry is enjoyable for what it is, though the genre shift from MUA1 to MUA2 was more jarring to long-time players at the time, versus the transition and loss of the heavier RPG elements from XML2 to MUA1.

From XML to MUA1, there was build diversity in the sense that each hero had multiple powers and abilities you could focus on. Combined with gear (XML thru MUA) and costume bonuses (MUA), you could have a Wolverine or Iron Man that played differently from someone else's.

MUA2 streamlined everything and got rid of most of the RPG elements, so at the end of the day, each hero at max level ended up being the same as someone else's. It's a decent action game, but a bit removed from its predecessors.

Based on the preview footage and GI article, MUA3 looks like it could be fun if you're in the market for an MCU/comic book fanservice action game that has co-op and some sort of light RPG elements.

The game is certainly looking better than MUA2. While I doubt the developers are going back to the full-on action RPGs that XML1/2 were, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
If you start with X-Men Legends, the series began as an action RPG (XML1 + XML2), then became more of an action game that retained some of its past RPG elements (MUA1) before switching to a full-on beat'em up/brawler with linear progression and modifiers (MUA2).

Each entry is enjoyable for what it is, though the genre shift from MUA1 to MUA2 was more jarring to long-time players at the time, versus the transition and loss of the heavier RPG elements from XML2 to MUA1.

From XML to MUA1, there was build diversity in the sense that each hero had multiple powers and abilities you could focus on. Combined with gear (XML thru MUA) and costume bonuses (MUA), you could have a Wolverine or Iron Man that played differently from someone else's.

MUA2 streamlined everything and got rid of most of the RPG elements, so at the end of the day, each hero at max level ended up being the same as someone else's. It's a decent action game, but a bit removed from its predecessors.

Based on the preview footage and GI article, MUA3 looks like it could be fun if you're in the market for an MCU/comic book fanservice action game that has co-op and some sort of light RPG elements.

The game is certainly looking better than MUA2. While I doubt the developers are going back to the full-on action RPGs that XML1/2 were, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did.

When you say light rpg elements I'm curious what you are comparing that to. Didn't thr devs say that they were expanding upon the rpg elements? I know I've seen at least a few people in this thread mention that from a podcast or something

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so incredibly bland to me, I hope it turns out to be good I really want another good Marvel beat em up after Marvel Heroes shutdown. Is this a $60 game?

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This looks so incredibly bland to me, I hope it turns out to be good I really want another good Marvel beat em up after Marvel Heroes shutdown. Is this a $60 game?
Yes. Keep in mind the gameplay so far is almost all from infinity trials in arenas from the first two chapters or so on the easiest difficulty. There are several higher difficulties and puzzles and platforming challenges(dodging lasers) like previous games Nintendo is just keeping things from being spoiled

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not really familiar with the series, but the image quality in the video doesn't look as good as I hoped for.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I wonder if we'd see all these "$60 game?" and "mobile game?" comments if this were multi-platform and looked exactly the same.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
When you say light rpg elements I'm curious what you are comparing that to. Didn't thr devs say that they were expanding upon the rpg elements? I know I've seen at least a few people in this thread mention that from a podcast or something

To clarify, I'm comparing it to past games in the series.

XML1/2 had the heaviest RPG elements. Every time a hero leveled up, you could assign points to both their powers and stats. Powers unlocked at certain hero levels, with some having a pre-req of having spent at least a point in another power. There were multiple powers per hero, and 4 stats to consider.

XML1/2 also had 3 gear slots to equip heroes with. Gear generally improved your stats and gave buffs. You found gear by playing, and also by spending tech bits at the vendor (Forge/Beast).

MUA1 kept powers and stats, but removed the choice of assigning points to stats every time a hero leveled up. Instead, you could find stat bonus points hidden in levels that were given to the hero that picked them up. Gear was reduced to 1 item per character, though the bonuses were often more than just stat boosts.

MUA1 also introduced costumes with specific power type and stat bonuses. XML1/2 had multiple costumes, but no bonuses aside from looking cool. The downside in MUA1 was having a costume that you didn't like the look of, but had the benefits you wanted, e.g., the Human Torch's best outfit was him wearing a wife-beater and pants, versus any of his normal FF costumes.

MUA2 did away with most of this. Heroes only had 4 active powers, along with 6 passive abilities. You had to unlock powers as you went, and could spend points to improve powers/passives. There was no individual hero gear. Heroes also only had 1 extra costume, with no stat benefits. MUA2 did add a neat "medal" system that buffed the whole team in different ways, though you were limited to 3 active at once. It was a very streamlined experience in comparison.

The removal of choice/RPG depth in MUA2 was a big bone of contention for some veteran players. Back then, it took me a while to warm up to the game, but I accepted it for what it was, which was a decent enough superhero romp.

MUA3 is doing its own thing, and until GI or another site does a more detailed hands-on, what's been presented so far--to me, at least--seems more RPG-light than the older titles, but on paper already looks better than MUA2's way of handling things. The alliance grid and ISO-8 gear look interesting.

edit: removed scans/reddit link.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To clarify, I'm comparing it to past games in the series.

XML1/2 had the heaviest RPG elements. Every time a hero leveled up, you could assign points to both their powers and stats. Powers unlocked at certain hero levels, with some having a pre-req of having spent at least a point in another power. There were multiple powers per hero, and 4 stats to consider.

XML1/2 also had 3 gear slots to equip heroes with. Gear generally improved your stats and gave buffs. You found gear by playing, and also by spending tech bits at the vendor (Forge/Beast).

MUA1 kept powers and stats, but removed the choice of assigning points to stats every time a hero leveled up. Instead, you could find stat bonus points hidden in levels that were given to the hero that picked them up. Gear was reduced to 1 item per character, though the bonuses were more than just stat boosts.

MUA1 also introduced costumes with specific power type and stat bonuses. XML1/2 had multiple costumes, but no bonuses aside from looking cool. The downside in MUA1 was having a costume that you didn't like the look of, but had the benefits you wanted, e.g., the Human Torch's best outfit was him wearing a wife-beater and pants, versus any of his normal FF costumes.

MUA2 did away with most of this. Heroes only had 4 active powers, along with 6 passive abilities. You had to unlock powers as you went, and could spend points to improve powers/passives. There was no individual hero gear. Heroes also only had 1 extra costume, with no stat benefits. MUA2 did add a neat "medal" system that buffed the whole team in different ways, though you were limited to 3 active at once. It was a very streamlined experience in comparison.

The removal of choice/RPG depth in MUA2 was a big bone of contention for some veteran players. Back then, it took me a while to warm up to the game, but I accepted it for what it was, which was a decent enough superhero romp.

MUA3 is doing its own thing, and until GI or another site does a more detailed hands-on, what's been presented so far--to me, at least--seems more RPG-light than the older titles, but on paper already looks better than MUA2's way of handling things. The alliance grid and ISO-8 gear look interesting.

BTW, I found these on reddit, which should give more insight into how the devs are going about their RPG systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAU3/comments/bm4s2n/game_informer_mua3_overview_is_now_live/

y9dn96l.jpg

X5teXPj.jpg
Ive known they are out there for a while, scabs aren't allowed on era otherwise I would have posted them earlier. Also they don't show us the actual leveling screens but rather the overview one which only says so much

Also wait to judge on level layout till E3 when we'll likely get uncut level footage versus B roll footage intentionally cut by Nintendo to show arena sections as not to spoil the game

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Ive known they are out there for a while, scabs aren't allowed on era otherwise I would have posted them earlier. Also they don't show us the actual leveling screens but rather the overview one which only says so much

Also wait to judge on level layout till E3 when we'll likely get uncut level footage versus B roll footage intentionally cut by Nintendo to show arena sections as not to spoil the game

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure about posting those, but I'll remove the scans.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was a big fan of the first 2. And I will be buying this. But I'd be lying to myself if I said it actually looked particualrly good. It looks like a relic in regards to gameplay, graphics and animation...hopefully it's just early footage.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

Surtur has the twilight sword

I imagine this is probably where the Midnight Sons get introduced into the story.

They're being way too coy about their final character count. It's very strange, they say well over 20 or two dozen, but it seems like it's rapidly heading towards way more than that and it's weird that they're being that conservative when marketing this game. Very weird.

Even weirder would be if they announce no more characters after this GI blowout and it isn't 30+.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this is probably where the Midnight Sons get introduced into the story.

They're being way too coy about their final character count. It's very strange, they say well over 20 or two dozen, but it seems like it's rapidly heading towards way more than that and it's weird that they're being that conservative when marketing this game. Very weird.

Even weirder would be if they announce no more characters after this GI blowout and it isn't 30+.
Yeah. The Japanese trailer says over 30. Maybe we start with 36?

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

We have roughly 30 characters already announced. And there's always a few postgame hidden unlockable too

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it looks bad at all in fact I think it looks great especially on the Switch screen although of course it's not going to be exactly like that in portable mode (I have a hard time believing the characters' shadows will keep that level of quality).
Technically it honestly surprised me compared to the first reveal and especially after reading the comments here before watching the video... some people here are reacting like they'd seen a Vita game ffs.

What I do think it looks worrying and would actually make the game awfully boring, is that so far all we've seen are just and only the same plain arena with the current area's bg of choice with a bunch of enemies in it.
If you had told me we've seen just the same level over and over and over just with a different coat of paint I would have believed you.
I have never played MUA/2 so I can't speak on how it was in the previous games but regardless that ain't gonna cut it in 2019 imo. Level design was first thing I was worried and skeptical about when it was revealed that Team Ninja was at the helm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think it looks bad at all in fact I think it looks great especially on the Switch screen although of course it's not going to be exactly like that in portable mode.
Technically it honestly surprised me compared to the first reveal and especially after reading the comments here before watching the video... some people here are reacting like they'd seen a Vita game ffs.

What I do think it looks worrying and would actually make the game awful, is that so fat alk we've seen are just and only the same plain arena with the area backgrounds of choice with a bunch of enemies in it.
If you had told me we've seen just the same level over and over and over just with a different coat of paint I would have believed you.
I have never played MUA/2 so I can't speak on how it was in the previous games but regardless that ain't gonna cut it in 2019 imo.
For the fiftieth time
Yes. Keep in mind the gameplay so far is almost all from infinity trials in arenas from the first two chapters or so on the easiest difficulty. There are several higher difficulties and puzzles and platforming challenges(dodging lasers) like previous games Nintendo is just keeping things from being spoiled

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
For the fiftieth time

It can be the hundredth time if it's not in the op, I'm not supposed to comb a thread for info so important that you had to reply to 50 people before me.

Less snark, or don't reply at all I'd say.

Regardless, happy to hear that is the case but baffling they'd re-reveal the game with such a fucking awful footage

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It can be the hundredth time if it's not in the op, I'm not supposed to comb a thread for info so important that you had to reply to 50 people before me.

Less snark, or don't reply at all I'd say.

Regardless, happy to hear that is the case but baffling they'd re-reveal the game with such a fucking awful footage
I mean it's a b-roll it gives you an idea but it's not hands on footage. That's what the teeehouse at e3 for. Sorry about the snark, even when I do put into a lot of people don't read the op. Also in both the footage, the podcast and the article they mention the arena modes. I'll add the info to the op, just let me find the best of my replies

Information regarding location similarity and difficulty in the gameplay video
OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Dash Kappei added to the OP. I am also putting the info here in a thread marked post for those who skip or don't go back to the op

Update: since people don't have time to listen to the gameplay video, the podcast and read the articles, and the infos all spread out, and it keeps coming up, here's something really important to keep in mind about this footage: a majority of this b-roll footage from Nintendo(not captured by gameinformer) is from either the miniboss/boss fights(which tend to be an arena by nature to prevent skipping the fight) or from the arena based Infinity Trial challenges where you have to beat a certain number of enemies in a certain amount of time in an arena from an unlocked level that the challenge is from. There is less than a minute of regular level footage from the normal corridors and multilevel areas. This is a gameplay video, and in order to show off the actual characters and special moves most of the footage is limited to an arena where it can be showcased with the largest number of characters without spoiling the plot. We have mainly seen areas from the first two chapters(space ship and prison) as well. The plot scatters the gems across the entire marvel universe so there is much more to see.
Also regarding the button mashiness that has to do with the footage being in the easiest difficulty which as stated in the article(paraphrased from another thread):
"Different difficulties like: Casual, the "friendly" difficulty with emphasis on button-mashing to victory, Mighty, for greater challenges and a new difficulty after clearing the story once."

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see which characters they show this week. I asked Ben Hanson if they would have footage of Spider-Man or Black Panther and he said no :(

OP
OP
Mandos

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Now here is the other burning question: do we get Robbie Reyes or Frank Castle as our base Ghost Rider? Because it's going to be one of those two then everyone else including Danny, Johnny and Phantom Rider will be costumes. Both are big and popular in the comics right now although Reyes has multimedia presence currently. Now if punisher got confirmed that'd be a mark against cosmic ghost rider but he's not as much of a garuntee now and generally doesn't play into cosmic scenarios

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Now here is the other burning question: do we get Robbie Reyes or Frank Castle as our base Ghost Rider? Because it's going to be one of those two then everyone else including Danny, Johnny and Phantom Rider will be costumes. Both are big and popular in the comics right now although Reyes has multimedia presence currently. Now if punisher got confirmed that'd be a mark against cosmic ghost rider but he's not as much of a garuntee now and generally doesn't play into cosmic scenarios
I'm sure we'll get Reyes if Ghost Rider gets in. No way we wont get Punisher if Frank is on the table.