• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And the Dornish regularly sent assassin's after Aegon and his Sisters.

In fact those assassin's are the reason why Visenya insisted that Aegon take his security more seriously. This ultimately led to the formation of the Kingsguard.

But how are those actions the people's fault? It'd be like America invading Mexico and committing genocide because some Mexican politicians tried to assassinate their president.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Easy, they do it after Dany is no longer needed once all her men are wasted and Cersei is defeated.

One assassination by Arya and Jon is now the full blown king.
The problem though is you can't on the one hand act like Dany's family name is a hinderance for her in Westeros, and then turn around and go "but it's going to work out for Jon." When a kingdom is in chaos might makes right. Rightful heir means nothing if you can't take the seat of power. Why shouldn't the Dornish claim KL? Or any of the other major houses left? Hell what's stopping a minor house under the Lannister's from rising up and filling the vacuum left from their demise? Unless the Northeners can go south and conquer the entirety of the continent, what ever claims they make for Jon means nothing. The North barely has a 1000 men to put together to form an actual army.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
When did Jon actually do that though? The children in the last season that Sansa wanted to have their titles stripped? Well they weren't party to any treachery. Jon had Slynt executed while he begged him for his life, he dealt with the mutineers by way of killing them all, and when he was resurrected he killed every single Night's Watchmen who took part in his death. So when exactly did Jon do all of what you're describing for his vanquished foes? Putting Mance out of his misery is the closest thing I can think of.

It wasn't a lie though. Until Jon's miraculous resurrection, she was the legitimate Targ claimant. I still don't agree that cheating death and getting out of the oath on a technicality restores previously lost titles. But whatever.

I'm with you. It's not like Jaime became Lord of Casterly Rock once he got fired from the Kingsguard. Cersei is still the Lady of Casterly Rock.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The problem though is you can't on the one hand act like Dany's family name is a hinderance for her in Westeros, and then turn around and go "but it's going to work out for Jon." When a kingdom is in chaos might makes right. Rightful heir means nothing if you can't take the seat of power. Why shouldn't the Dornish claim KL? Or any of the other major houses left? Hell what's stopping a minor house under the Lannister's from rising up and filling the vacuum left from their demise? Unless the Northeners can go south and conquer the entirety of the continent, what ever claims they make for Jon means nothing. The North barely has a 1000 men to put together to form an actual army.

He's got a dragon now. and Bran too along with the Vale and connections to the Riverlands if they restore Edmure to it and the Stormlands if Jon decides to legitimize Gendry.

And it helps that Jon is the son of popular prince, Rhaegar, versus Daenerys being the daughter of the hated Mad King.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. It's not like Jaime became Lord of Casterly Rock once he got fired from the Kingsguard. Cersei is still the Lady of Casterly Rock.
Jesus, I never actually thought about this. Jaime getting out of the Kingsguard didn't remove the titles Cersei legitimately got due to Jaime not being in the succession at the time.

I'm almost confident that Dany is still the legitimate Targ monarch due to the lawful manner in which she inherited the title; Jon in the watch and Visarys being dead. At best Jon gets his title back but he succeeds and doesn't usurp her. That should still require a King/Queen to restore said titles though, and considering he no longer is even KitN, he can't even restore his titles himself. Because otherwise it makes zero sense. Like if Dany managed to conquer Westeros before Jon was resurrected, and was now Queen of the Iron Throne, Jon coming back wouldn't strip her of the crown. Her ascension would have already been secured lawfully.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2VqIAS0.jpg

Arm-y of the dead

Night King making dad jokes

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Can you link me to full season leaks. Free folk is an awful subreddit now

the only verified leaked content was the contents of this episode. that's literally it. The source that leaked it (friki) is now done after being threatened by HBO.

other than that theres a few plot tidbits which are questionable at best.

Last edited:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, shouldn't Dany know that Jon is a Targ as well? Only Targaryens can ride dragons, which is something she has to know.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I never actually thought about this. Jaime getting out of the Kingsguard didn't remove the titles Cersei legitimately got due to Jaime not being in the succession at the time.

I'm almost confident that Dany is still the legitimate Targ monarch due to the lawful manner in which she inherited the title; Jon in the watch and Visarys being dead. At best Jon gets his title back but he succeeds and doesn't usurp her. That should still require a King/Queen to restore said titles though, and considering he no longer is even KitN, he can't even restore his titles himself. Because otherwise it makes zero sense. Like if Dany managed to conquer Westeros before Jon was resurrected, and was now Queen of the Iron Throne, Jon coming back wouldn't strip her of the crown. Her ascension would have already been secured lawfully.
As Varys says (played back conveniently before this episode), "Power is an illusion. It resides where men believe it resides."

Jon shouldn't have had any titles anyway since he was a bastard. The northerners just stood behind him.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Jon doesn't die I hope he walks away from Winterfell and become a blacksmith or something anonymously somewhere else.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

She didn't inherit anything. She is making a claim based on her inheritance, but she doesn't actually sit the iron throne. It just throws a wrench into her entire "mine by birthright", when it isn't hers by birthright.

Anyways it isn't about claims, it's about who wins the war, Jon has the better claim, this is going to matter, regardless of how much you'd rather it didn't. They wouldn't have brought it up if it didn't matter.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Wish that episode was double length or at least 30 minutes longer. Dumb ass dragon riding scene must have blown half the seasons budget

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people want Jon to ride Rhaegal into battle, beyond the fact that it would look cool. The dragons do just fine on their own without someone steering them.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I guess people liked the first episode? I've been putting off watching season 7 cause I figured I'd likely hate it, but I guess I'll try to catch up this week.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Also, shouldn't Dany know that Jon is a Targ as well? Only Targaryens can ride dragons, which is something she has to know.
Yup.

Only part of the episode I absolutely hated (well that and the quippy dialogue and ball jokes but I digress).I hate hate hate the idea that Dany would let Jon, a non Targ ride her dragon, and then wouldn't even be surprised that he can ride it. It's unbelievably out of character...

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Anyone else think Beric survives all of it just because he's the type to go out in an epic sacrifice? The show does love subverting expectation.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
She didn't inherit anything. She is making a claim based on her inheritance, but she doesn't actually sit the iron throne. It just throws a wrench into her entire "mine by birthright", when it isn't hers by birthright.

Anyways it isn't about claims, it's about who wins the war, Jon has the better claim, this is going to matter, regardless of how much you'd rather it didn't. They wouldn't have brought it up if it didn't matter.

it also really doesn't matter in the end because Jon will deny the throne even though he has the better claim. He has never shown an interest in ruling.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is going as expected with people calling Dany crazy bitch, evil and whatever for things that they would gladly except if Ned, Robb, Jon or whoever would have done them. This is a cruel fucked up world - Dany burning people who are fighting against her and not willing to bend the knee, after defeat.....will get burned.

The series always has been about power - dragons are power, when used correctly. Danys weapons are her Dragons and not some some Greatsword - everyone uses their weapons to kill their enemies in this show.

Considering what she is capable off she is actually quite laid-back. Imagine if Cersei or other past Kings/Lords had access to that kind of power.

Overall solid episode to get things going - really enjoyed Jon x Arya reuniting.
Sams reaction to Dany telling him she killed/burned his fam seems a bit forced considering the relationship they had and that Dany gave them a way out.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
He'll do what it takes to save the realm, if that means taking the crown he will.

But he also believes Dany is a better ruler than he is. If he didn't believe in her he wouldn't have bent the knee. Also "saving the realm" has nothing to do with whom sits on the throne, most of that will be wrapped up after the battle in EP3. Then there is just Cersei.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the episode, but I need to know more about the WW, what does that symbol on the wall mean? It was shown in the first episode of the show and many more times.

Status
Not open for further replies.