• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Cuphead. I really like the style and music but I just don't find the game fun to play. I've played plenty of hard side-scrollers but I didn't have the drive to press on when all that was waiting for me was just another boss fight.

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3.

I wanted to love it. I pre-ordered it and was super excited to play it. I had heard so many great things about the characters, the story and the world.

Sadly I found the combat to be slow as hell and clunky, I never connected with Geralt or anyone else. I felt nothing for them. I found them to be pretty boring and I was not engaged in their struggles, and by extension, I also was bored by the story.

I ended up selling my copy to a friend.

Also, Metal Gear Solid V. To this day it remains my single biggest gaming disappointment of all time. I just couldn't believe it.

Last edited:

TesservcT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I didnt have a PS3 or 4, so i never got to play MGS3 or 4, but MGS5 just isnt what I want from an MGS game. I want a more strict play style, more linear. MGS5 just did not entice me.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm still playing it little by little. I don't hate it, but there's a lot in it that I hate. I loved the first game and I'm straight up fascinated by X. But Xeno2 has let me down. What they did with most of the female character designs is gross, the humor can be excruciating to sit through, the combat, while systematically interesting is a visual clusterfuck. I'm not invested in the characters or story. It's overloaded with anime cliches and a tonal mess. It'll be a one and done for me, though even as I play it (in chapter 5 now) I still keep holding out hope the story will at least engage me more than it has.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tried a few Zelda games but can't get far into them at all. Not tried BOTW. Same with Mario.

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For me, the hunting genre.
Love japanese action hack n slashers like DMC, Metal Gear rising
Love kinda grindy loot games with mass content like Dynasty Warriors, EDF games etc
Love ARPGs like Demons souls

Should really be my ideal genre but cant get past the beginnings without losing interest. Tried MH3U on 3DS and Toukiden Kiwami dropped right away. Got a bit further with Freedom Wars on Vita but never finnished it.
Might be a handheld issue gonna give MH World an honest go on the PS4

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 2 and 3. Tried for two hours on each of them and the movement and combat just completely turned me off. Bet I would love the world and story if I could get past it.
Horizon as well. Combat just didn't grab my attention and I never bothered going back after I finished Zelda.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Terraria...given it so many chances, my new year resolution was to get it to click so any advices please :p

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Witcher 3.

Forever stuck in White Orchard. Restarted the game five times now, then I lose interest and forget everything.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Red Dead Redemption: Played it a long time after its release and most of its strong story points were spoiled by then by various top 10s/articles, it constantly get featured in. So, dint had that impact. And I found the looong horse riding sections between missions very very boring(lot of times it wasnt optional). Characters were amazing though.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda - the pacing of the game feels like I'm walking neck high in mud.
No Man's Sky - I probably would have loved it if it were actually like the trailer
Battlefront - loves star wars, love fps's but the combat feels hallow and the gameplay cycle isn't for me
Skyward Sword - I just could not get enjoyment out of the combat with the motion nonsense.
Skyrim - boring combat killed it for me
GTA V - the gameplay is incredibly boring with the janky gunplay and melee system.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Overwatch.

I absolutely loved Team Fortress 2, and Valve largely ruined that game for me with their matchmaking update about a year and a half ago, Overwatch looked like a near-perfect substitute. Well, I played it for about 6-8 hours, and I barely enjoyed it. The shooting felt very limp, characters weren't as likeable as in TF2, there were only a handful of game modes and none of them were original, I didn't care for many of the characters' Ultimate abilities - stuff like wallhacks and aimbots don't sit well with me. Couldn't even find a server browser.

This isn't to say TF2 didn't have its issues - it had plenty - but even with all of its absurdities, I enjoyed TF2 far more than OW.

Guitarmy204

Oct 25, 2017
BotW - Open world bored me to death
Stardew Valley - to much unknown that seem to have to look up on internet
Minecraft - Not Enough time
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - was expecting more of an arcadey play to it (not sure why that was my expectation)
The last like 5 COD games - Just could not capture the glow that was MW4 a couple after that
Overwatch - didn't have any friends playing so had to struggle through solo queue.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any CRPG.

I am going to finish Pillars of Eternity before Monster Hunter World comes out...but damn...Its painful (Im on easy to boot). What is the level recommendation to beat final boss?

Oct 27, 2017
witcher 3

boring main character, clunky combat and horse riding, too big of an open world imo, too much story for one game, etc

completed the main story, majority of side quests, and the DLC ... because it was so over-hyped and i really wanted to enjoy it ... it's a masterpiece despite its flaws, i just don't enjoy actually playing it lol

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
MGS3

I've only played it once and I may like it more now. I just wanted a continuation of the story in 2 and I didn't get that. Getting the backstory of Big Boss sounds interesting, but he doesn't become an interesting character until the end. A lot of characters and plot elements don't mean much until you play 4 as well. Gameplay was solid, but I play Metal Gear for the story.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Witcher 3: Usually don't get much farther than the Gwent tutorial. I know I'm not giving it a fair chance, but I just can't bring myself to keep going.

Ocarina of Time: I've played this game numerous times, and have never once finished it. I don't know what it is. Last time I got near the end too, and then just stopped. And yet I absolutely adored TP, which many deride as an Ocarina knockoff

Breath of the Wild: I probably didn't give this one a fair chance either. I was in a shrine with the gyroscopic controls, which I am total ass at, and got frustrated. Turned it off, haven't played since. But I'm not big into massive open world sandboxes as a general rule either

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Life is Strange

just could not click with the characters and setting. Maybe my age, background, and inner city upbringing didn't allow me to relate to any of the characters.

That being said, I enjoyed Oxenfree so I don't know.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus seems really cool, but it's just so repetitive and gimmicky. Too many monsters and of those some were similar. Controls were clunky. I didn't care about the protagonist or the girl he was trying to save because he just listened to a random voice in the sky telling him to kill things.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us.

Instead of immersing myself in the story, my mind kept pointing out the gameplay flowchart (human fight -> Ellie on a raft -> Joel getting separated -> clicker fight -> cutscene -> upgrade weapons -> cutscene -> new area -> collect loot -> human fight -> Ellie on a raft). I had more fun predicting the story than I did actually playing it.

I might watch the cutscenes on Youtube to see if it connects with me when I'm watching it passively.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon. The reveal practically moved me to tears and the final game was not quite my cup of tea. Exceptional quality, No Doubt. It didn't help that at lunch right alongside Zelda and nier.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Horizon bored me to death, even if it was a good game. On the other hand, I went in Persona 5 not expecting to love it and finished it being super impressed.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned before, Resonance of Fate was a hard sell for me. I don't think I had the patience to learn its systems, it went past that breaking point for me.

In recent memory, Shadow of Mordor. I like Arkham style combat, the traversal seemed fluid without the clunkiness from Ass Creed,and the nemesis system sounded great, so I figured it'd normally be right up my alley. I can't describe just how bland it made me feel, I never really felt like it hooked me even though I wanted to and while I'm ok with the Tolkien stuff, something about this game just did not intrigue me at all, nor did it feel like it's characters engaged me, to make me want to find out more about the world and story.

Oct 28, 2017
Horizon for me. It's certainly a good game, but the game often feels tedious and I can't bring myself to care about the characters. I'm still slowly playing through it, hoping to get hooked.

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII - I remember playing the demo a ton of times. I loved the Leviathan summon and being blown away by the graphics. I got a good ways into it and realized I hated every character in the game. I could care less for the story and the combat wasn't enough to keep me glued.

...Leviathan summon? Did you mean VIII?

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
Mass Effect. It's combat is one of most boring stuff i played in my life. Also, didn't feel like the skill tree had the minimum impact and the orders system is completely messed up.

I like the setting and all the lore, enjoy a lot the dialogue system and was invested at first, but the combat sections make it unplayable for me, unfortunately.
The sequels get better.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Smash Bros.

I'm a die hard Nintendo fan, but this series never clicked with me. It's goofy and fun, but I don't see the die hard connection people have with it.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3, leave it due the weird combat and mobility mechanics, the game and quest are wonderful but not enough to forget those issues

Oct 27, 2017
Nier Automata for me. I really enjoyed Nier, but the new one just didn't grab me.
The Witcher 3 is another one. It was just too damn big.
I don't think I can manage another shot at them. This year is just starting and there will be no time to look back.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild was going to be the modern Zelda that captured my imagination. It was going to make me feel like a kid again. It was going to be everything I wanted in a Zelda game... and it was fine. Good even. Not great.

Oh, and I really, really, really wanted Final Fight: Streetwise to be good. God did I want it to be good. It isn't.

Oh, actually, Persona 4 probably deserves a big mention her. I love the Persona games. I have played all of them. However, I have never beaten Persona 4, despite having attempted to on five different occasions. I think Persona 5 has pacing problems, but I think Persona 4 is defined by its pacing problems.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Metroid Prime and Zelda BotW.

Internally i know they are fantastic games. I just dislike playing them.