• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It didn't change my opinion on the game - an ending rarely does for me - but I'll never forget how empty I felt watching the MGSV credits roll.

It was a real gut punch. I can't describe what I felt and have never experienced anything like it before or after in about 25 years of gaming.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Someone mentioned it above, but Type-0 was a big one for me. I was interested in what was happening in the game, even if a bit confused, but then the final chapter happens and the story goes completely bonkers. I usually like stories like this (and I LOVE the ending sequence), but after beating it and thinking that hey, maybe it's MY fault I didn't understand what was happening. When I found out that the game is literally designed around not making any sense unless you do it again in a specific way, I was just done.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a style very indicative of PSP-Era Square Enix. It seems like every game they came out with in that time period had to have both:

A confusing, nonsensical backloaded story
Bittersweet/sad ending

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This almost always happens. If I like a game enough to finish it, usually I want more and the end means the fun is over. But occasionally the ending is really good and gives great closure.

BotW is probably a recent example of this. Loved the game, but the final boss was so easy and the ending was too minimalist. The DLC didn't help either.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Actually Super Mario Odyssey is worth a mention, not for the ending itself, but that the staff roll theme was just a barely remixed cascade kingdom theme, you can't follow this and this with that!
(it's a great theme, but come on, at least jazz it up more)

Also gonna glare at BotW's lacking final boss and then staff roll of previous themes slapped together, it gets a bit more of a pass because those champion themes deserve to be heard again.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Wife...you were my arm the whole time!"

Though I'm confused if I hate or respect how utter dumbass that plot is

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for me. I was a huge advocate for the game up until the last chapter and especially the ending. Neither Ending in particular is particularly good, but what makes it worse is how obvious they were and the overall implications of both of them towards the game as a whole. Made everything feel really pointless and, since I didn't even like a particular character, it wasn't even a hard choice. The game pretty much killed my interest in Adventure/Visual Novel style games and Episodic games as a whole, because part of my disdain came from the fact that there was such a long period of time and not very engaging gameplay building up to the ending. The payoff wasn't worth the mental investment.
If you didn't like either Max or Chloe, then it would be hard to really get invested at all.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Probably an unpopular opinion, but for me Horizon: Zero Dawn.
After all of the fuss about Hades and Sylens trying to undo his mistake there's a needless after credits scene where Sylens retrieves Hades to further satisfy his lust for knowledge essentially undoing a large part of the what you accomplish just to set up a sequel.
Yeah, I loved the stuff with Aloy but the

sequel bait was so stupid
Anyway Mass Effect 3 is my number 1 choice for this and will never be topped, what a shitshow.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Bioshock Infinite, and I know this won't be a popular one but The Last of Us.

I'm perfectly fine with the decision that Joel made, but I'm not okay with them enabling his decision by making everyone around him suddenly transform into highly unreasonable pieces of shit. His decision should speak for itself, it shouldn't need to be justified by how absolutely absurd the entire scenario ended up being.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I am suprised no one said Splatoon 2 on the first page. That final battle was such a let down.

I am sure it was done that way due to not enough development time but really they should have delayed the game a bit to flesh it out.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with everyone saying Danganronpa V3 is that I can't tell if people mean the ending itself or the final act twist. The ending itself for me was a little limp and weak especially compared to what came before it but not something I'd say lessened my opinion of the game overall. The ending twist however I loved and elevated the game for me by a lot, to the point that I kind of wish the main character had actually gone through with the final threat instead of it ending on a somewhat satisfactory note

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
If you didn't like either Max or Chloe, then it would be hard to really get invested at all.

The thing is, I did like Max and, initially, I did like Chloe too. I initially liked her because she said Hella just like I did (and still do), but literally every scene she was in made me like her less.

By the end of the game,

I wouldn't choose Chloe over Kate, so why the hell would I choose Chloe over an entire town?

I was invested in the story and the world, so the way it ended felt like a huge blow. So much wasted potential and setup just to end in a way that was predictable from the first episode.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
What did you dislike about it? For me it was the way Firewatch tries to feebly lampoon the most tediously mediocre tropes in fiction.

There's no reason for the plot to hint that there's some big dumb government conspiracy going on. That's just there so Firewatch can jump out from behind a rock at the end and yell "Gotcha!" at the player. "Of course there isn't a government conspiracy going on! That would be stupid."

It's not clever to notice that obviously stupid writing is bad, and it's not clever to suddenly start complaining about it in the middle of your video game, like you're every Youtube comments section from 2010 launching into your lukewarmest of "still a better love story than Twilight!!" hot takes.

See also: Gone Home

Yeah, I didn't like how it built all this tension up into nothing. I liked the *idea* of it ultimately being a much smaller-scaled mystery but the execution didn't work for me. I also disliked how quickly the game ended. I guess I expected Delilah and Henry to meet for a sort of catharsis but the game definitely wasn't interested in that path.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand how there are anymore Assasins Creed games if that ending is canon
The end of the world is still coming. The life and death of Desmond was in the end meaningless because the only way to save the world -- or more precisely create a world where the Isu and humans live together in peace -- is to figure out how to rewrite time using the animus. The Isu can project messages forward into the future. But they could never "break the code, break the node". They could predict that YOU would be standing in X location and relay Y message to you though individual Z as a proxy. But they couldn't undo the catastrophe or prevent the upcoming one indefinitely or anything that really mattered. But eventually that's what the animus will do.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, I did like Max and, initially, I did like Chloe too. I initially liked her because she said Hella just like I did (and still do), but literally every scene she was in made me like her less.

By the end of the game,

I wouldn't choose Chloe over Kate, so why the hell would I choose Chloe over an entire town?

I was invested in the story and the world, so the way it ended felt like a huge blow. So much wasted potential and setup just to end in a way that was predictable from the first episode.
Well it was the opposite for me. At first I was kind of neutral on both of them, slightly bordered on chloe being a little annoying, but didn't not like her at all. By the end of chapter 5 I could tell how much she went through and that she was a lot more complex than I thought. The choices in the whole game basically don't end up mattering to the final one, but I don't mind because the choices and most of the game was about max and chloe's relationship.

Jan 9, 2018
Arkham Knight.

How the hell do you use the name "Knightfall Protocol" and absolutely do nothing meaningful with Dick or at least Tim...?

Evoking the name of that story but not doing the logical thing of referencing the sequel, Prodigal, and letting Dick take over as Batman.....

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
MGSV is this to a tee for me. While I was enjoying the gameplay, and was at least trying to be invested in the story, the ending came along in the guise of repeating shot-for-shot the opening mission and slapped a stupid stupid stupid twist right at the end which for me made it feel like everything I did in the game amounted to nothing. It might be thematically in line with what the game was going for, but a game that makes me feel like my time was wasted is not a good game in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What did you dislike about it? For me it was the way Firewatch tries to feebly lampoon the most tediously mediocre tropes in fiction.

There's no reason for the plot to hint that there's some big dumb government conspiracy going on. That's just there so Firewatch can jump out from behind a rock at the end and yell "Gotcha!" at the player. "Of course there isn't a government conspiracy going on! That would be stupid."

It's not clever to notice that obviously stupid writing is bad, and it's not clever to suddenly start complaining about it in the middle of your video game, like you're every Youtube comments section from 2010 launching into your lukewarmest of "still a better love story than Twilight!!" hot takes.

See also: Gone Home
I mean there is a reason for that.
It's a story about responsibility, escapism and being forced to face reality. Him conjuring up some incredible mystery to evade his own very real responsibilities fits this very well. It's not there solely as some gotcha.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion of MGS 4 wasn't that great to begin with but Big Boss still being alive and the fact that Ocelot wanted Snake to successfully disable GW made me despise the whole bloody thing even more.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Persona 3. The ending means I never want to play it again and made me felt like I'd wasted my time.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible for a DLC to do this? Burial At Sea completely deep-sixed the entire Bioshock franchise for me. It was a glorious set-up in the first part, and then the second part came out and it was Ken Levine telling you "none of the games mattered."

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible for a DLC to do this? Burial At Sea completely deep-sixed the entire Bioshock franchise for me. It was a glorious set-up in the first part, and then the second part came out and it was Ken Levine telling you "none of the games mattered."
The ending of BAS2 was worse than the ending of the main game. At least with the ending of infinite, all the universes are connected, but they are still their own separate thing.

Elizabeth being the one to bond sisters and daddies, and being the one to get Atlas the code was really dumb. She didn't need to be a fanfic character like that.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Knight.

How the hell do you use the name "Knightfall Protocol" and absolutely do nothing meaningful with Dick or at least Tim...?

Evoking the name of that story but not doing the logical thing of referencing the sequel, Prodigal, and letting Dick take over as Batman.....

The Arkham games dealt with the Robins in the laziest way possible. Knight was the best in that sense but that ain't saying much.

I think they just used the name Knightfall Protocol because it sounds cool and because Knightfall is known as the story where Bruce "stopped being Batman." Certainly there was no intent to mirror the comics in a meaningful way.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The Zero Escape trilogy.

Ending of Zero Time Dilemma was...bad. Like, really bad. First two games are brilliant, and there were some bright spots in ZTD, but...yikes, that ending.

"Complex motives"

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
CTRL-F Halo 2

...really? Nobody? Am I just old now?

Ehh, people generally bring up what comes to mind sooner, which is inevitably more recent games. I remember Halo 2 being a bit of a letdown after thoroughly enjoying 1, and the ending was a pretty lukewarm confirmation of that.

My pick:

- FFXV: Yup, the second half was a noticeable dip in fun for me then we get to the very last segment of the game and I can just tell I was frowning the whole way through to credits. I tend to be an FF apologist and absolutely enjoyed FFXV, but I'm not going to give it a top 5 slot anytime soon.

-

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most recently Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and I didn't even have a high opinion of the game to begin with...

Deleted member 12509

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I feel like the ending would have been much more poignant and meaningful if they had found Pyras core at the end, rather than the whole sacrifice bit being a fake out and Pyra being 100% fine. There would have been lingering questions about whether she'd have memory or not upon rebirth (Aegis don't lose their memories, but the situation was a bit non-standard. so maybe?) Instead it made the last bit of the game feel like cheap drama to be neatly resolved one credits sequence later.
Came to mention this. I would've much rather had
Pyra stay dead than her coming back somehow and now split into 2.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Metal Gear Solid V.

Not so much the content of the ending itself, but rather the realization that the game was over and that was actually it for the "story".

For me it fits the thread perfectly because it's a clear case where all the fun I had with the actual gameplay was completely outweighed by that pure disappointment at the end.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Mass Effect 3. Soured me not only on the game, but on the franchise as a whole.

Fragile Dreams, though it was a bit more before the ending where things started tampering off for me.
About most things pertaining to the main plot after the dam where it goes from a story of isolation and trying to find a survivor in a lonely world to stopping a ghost scientist from killing everyone cause "Wah, nobody loved me.

Oh damn, I forgot about Fragile. I remember loving the game for the first half, but boy does that one end up shitting itself hard once the true plot kicks in.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
I mean there is a reason for that.
It's a story about responsibility, escapism and being forced to face reality. Him conjuring up some incredible mystery to evade his own very real responsibilities fits this very well. It's not there solely as some gotcha.

If that's true, then I'm even more disappointed in the quality of the writing. The crazy guy living in the woods isn't there for the sake of escapism. When he manufactures ridiculous pantomime government conspiracy documents, he's not thinking "man, this is some crazy shit the government is doing," because the fantasy isn't for him. The fantasy isn't even escapism for the people in the towers running away from their problems, because they think that fantasy is real. Meanwhile, a broken human being living in the woods is thinking "I'm doing this because I don't want people to find the dead corpse of my dead son," because all his problems are right there. Nobody wants to live like this.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
HellBlade. Completely drops the ball at the very very end, looking at the camera with the "my story is not over" bullshit.

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I mean it's not like
she's obligated to date him. That did not bother me at all. And she's busy being a fucking awesome explorer, so there's that as well.

Also, beta?! What the fuck, dude?!
Sure, Peach
is not obligated to date him but fact is there was no sense of reward for Mario at all. Not even a proper thank you, a cake or whatever. In fact Peach almost leaves the guy who beat up monsters in all continents for her, and prevented her forced wedding with a beast whose dong would rip her in half, stranded on the moon with said beast. I don't care if she wants to be an explorer, I'd start a fight over that sort of entitled behaviour.

Edit: That said I'm very positive about
Peach's self-emancipation. But in Prof. Oak's words, "there's a time and a place for everything."

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The OP phrasing is so understated ME3 doens't even fit so I'll go with something else.

Witcher 3.
My choice and consequence decides the survival of Ciri as the sole outcome based on her willpower? Ummm, how does that work exactly? It's the white Frost, and the depiction they went with was literally "Ciri is engulfed in the frost, she moves on while remembering what matters in her life, fade to black". Emotionally it works... but realistically I don't get it and the cause and effect throughout the game was vague at best. Thankfully I got the best ending where she becomes a monster slayer herself, but stop a second. What happened to Yennefer? Last screentime she had she was exhausted and risking her life to get Geralt inside the tower during Rag Naar Rogh. Also, Rag Naar Rogh came out of nowhere after an already climactic fight that was slightly on the contrived side. Hjalmar's sacrifice is sudden and strange. Geralt cannot beat up Avellac'h and the talks of the sorceresses assembling a new lodge does not do anything inside the plot of the game. Where is Triss? Was this really the best kind of epilogue they could've produced. I appreciate what is there, but it's not enough for such a grand game and using slideshows did not feel satisfying whatsoever. Of all places in a game's story why oh why can't developers seem to pour the best parts into the resolution and epilogue? Resolution is all-important but there has to be closure too if you're going for a definitive ending which this clearly is whether it's the worst or best endings. All of them is 100% about the fates of the main characters, you can't just cheerypick the ones you want like Geralt and Ciri. Where are all the others?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite what this thread's asking for, but it's been a bugbear of mine: I think the ending of PoP2008 is great,

ultimately being a downer engine highlighting the notion of history repeating

...which was then dismantled by the DLC Epilogue, which does clear up one loose end from the story, but has little to no emotional resonance.

An extra irony is that it feels like the DLC Epilogue served to explicitly set up a sequel which never came, so an emotional tragedy that felt like a very natural conclusion was replaced with a 'to be continued...' which never got followed up on.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sure, Peach
is not obligated to date him but fact is there was no sense of reward for Mario at all. Not even a proper thank you, a cake or whatever. In fact Peach almost leaves the guy who beat up monsters in all continents for her, and prevented her forced wedding with a beast whose dong would rip her in half, stranded on the moon with said beast. I don't care if she wants to be an explorer, I'd start a fight over that sort of entitled behaviour.

Peach's self-emancipation. But in Prof. Oak's words, "there's a time and a place for everything."

My boy Mario lives for adventure and cake. He got his awesome adventure, so that's his reward. If anything, I'm more upset about the lack of cake, really.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW's ending is why Nier was my GOTY instead.

Persona 5's ending soured me on a game I was already increasingly disliking. Just did not care for any of it.
I loved Persona 5's ending and final act. The final boss was also incredibly cool. Could have done with 10 mins less of the filler that comes after the ending though.

Agree on BOTW in that it's just a bit of a damp squib.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Shitty multiple choice ending, and the game was too short too.

Sure, Peach

It's almost as if a hero should rescue someone without expectation of a reward...

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I don't think an ending could ever get as frustrating as Asura's Wrath's.
*Rats off to ya! You beat the game! Now give us an extra fiver and we'll show you the last cutscene.
220px-Asura%27s_Wrath_Cover_Art.png