• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Would someone mind inviting me to the WSB subreddit now that it's invite only? I never bothered to subscribe.

Reddit username: [Hidden content]

It's 'approved submitters' only.

I've never posted anything but have been a sub there for a while and I'm on the outs, I don't think an invite will help.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

I'm not for condoning hate speech and such, but this seems a little sus...

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yeah I never bought it either, discord been toxic forever. why just now banning??
It's probably a combination of
1. It did legitimately violate their hate speech policies but discord like a lot of companies only actions against things when they get big
2. They also wanted an excuse to shut down a server that they (unjustifiably) saw as potentially getting discord into legal trouble

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
There's usually very low volume after hours, so don't read too much into it yet. Though it will really suck if this whole thing ends before skyrocketing because of WSB getting taken private spooking people away and letting the shorts cover cheaper.

Volume is definitely picking up, and it's getting volatile.

Some of it is probably panic selling with WSB reddit/discord getting locked......but with it dropping >100$ so quickly, I'm guessing some big whale unloaded their position....which may have incited further panic selling.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is wsb actually shutdown or does it still exist with the same people and just new people need invitation?

Salient_Lion

Dec 20, 2020
Update from the WSB reddit page:

We are experiencing technical difficulties based on unprecedented scale as a result of the newfound interest in WSB. We are unable to ensure Reddit's content policy and the WSB rules are enforceable without a technology platform that can support automation of this enforcement. WSB will be back.

Source here.

So looks like a moderation problem?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yeah but they usually send you a form and you fill that shit in your filings. its really not that hard just dont be a dum dum
More referring to the fact that this could impact your taxes. Depending on your current situation and where you live this could push you into a new tax bracket. Mind you I'm in Canada so slightly different but there's a lot of new blood that probably haven't considered anything beyond "lol meme stocks".

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't just "retard."

But it also has a lot more eyes on it than it ever had, so those things will be noticed more now.
Its probably mostly this tbh. The communities became mainstream and they were cesspools, not too surprised they got banned, Discord wouldve come under fire otherwise. I do think theres probably a lot of astroturfing going on in those communities anyway rn though.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So the hedge funds have resorted to guerrilla tactics to attack the sub and discord have they? I wouldn't be surprised if they were paying a third party troll farm to get it done too. Shit's getting ugly now the general public gets to play the same game as the billionaires.

Jun 23, 2019
Update from the WSB reddit page:

Source here.

So looks like a moderation problem?

Of course. The hedge funds are sending bots to get people to stop buying GME so the shorts can get enough breathing room to bail out. It's pretty funny tbh.

"Over the past few months, we have issued multiple warnings to the server admin."
=
We allowed it until the SEC and hedge funds came knocking.
FTFY.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Welp, I made $12k and got out at 380~ earlier. I'd be a millionaire if I took this shit seriously last week but whatever, I'm happy. Putting this into new stonks tmrw opening.