• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Sorry I didn't mean like right now just when it opens, if it opens lower. It looks like the WSB community is already back though so who knows, I still expect it to keep climbing regardless so I'll probably buy some no matter what at this point.
Ahh I gotcha. Well it's definitely a gamble at this rate. I was comfortable putting a little into AMC even though it has less attention, but part of me is still curious about how gamestop goes. I can't imagine anything good can come of it Lol, people would definitely need to get out before it tumbles because when it does it's going to happen in a flash.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
After hour trades is up to ~$300 now (it was like ~$250 earlier, maybe even lower, but i saw ~$250).

lol If you think that's literally all the reason why the Discord got deleted, you're feeding right into the narrative.
Its easy to think if there are any other reasons as well in cases like this, i can definitely see that point of view, but i dont think anyone here can say for sure about what the exact reasons are except the ones that are being officially told. Wasnt there some speculation in why there were changes in the WSB subreddit as well, but later on it was confirmed that the moderators themself did that themself? If so, i think it could be legit reasons in terms of hate speech etc. why the Discord server was closed. Or are you only referring to the shutdown on the Discord server? I guess someone can try to open up a new and smaller Discord server with the same content (about the stocks, not the hate speech etc. of course) and see what happens =) But i think its good that the subreddit is back up again at least :)

I dont mean to quote and single you out if others in the thread said something similar in the thread, so i'm sorry about that if others also said something similar. I just quoted you to give a more general respons to the subject.

EDIT: I added some text.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Why is "Friday" constantly being brought up ? What's happening then that's of significance?

One of the big hedge fund companies who originally took on the short position (reportedly) has a LOT of short contracts that expire on Friday - so theoretically, they'll be forced to buy at whatever the market price currently is at that time.

Which is why WSB and the like are all buying like mad, in order to rake in a profit when those big hedge funds have to buy back what hey borrowed and sold.

Is there any point to jumping in after Friday or Monday? Will it be too late by then?

Realistically, it's almost certainly too late unless you've got a major taste for risk, while also knowing your gains aren't going to as potentially big.

If the volatility continues tomorrow....you could try to hop on, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
One of the big hedge fund companies who originally took on the short position (reportedly) has a LOT of short contracts that expire on Friday - so theoretically, they'll be forced to buy at whatever the market price currently is at that time.

Which is why WSB and the like are all buying like mad, in order to rake in a profit when those big hedge funds have to buy back what hey borrowed and sold.

Realistically, it's almost certainly too late unless you've got a major taste for risk, while also knowing your gains aren't going to as potentially big.

If the volatility continues tomorrow....you could try to hop on, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.

Just so I understand - considering those contracts are yet to expire, wouldn't tomorrow (at opening) still be a good time to jump in ? If there's a sell-off, wouldn't it happen after the contracts are expired and as such following a price increase ? I guess the worry here is that they'll be unable to sell for whatever reason once the sell-off starts ?

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Loving the memes

XFx4GvC_d.webp

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Its wont stopping till friday at least, they way this getting traction is insane.. Its once in lifetime phenomenon

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Just so I understand - considering those contracts are yet to expire, wouldn't tomorrow (at opening) still be a good time to jump in ?

Theoretically, if you believe that the shorts (reportedly at 139% of floating stock being shorted) will come due and you'll be able to unload your shares at XYZ price on Friday, you could still buy at ABC price tomorrow at open, yes.

The risk is that by this time, no one knows how much you could make on a theoretical buy-in now (as opposed to a week ago), and/or how fast the selloff occurs, leaving you possibly holding your now worthless stock you weren't able to offload.

I guess the worry here is that they'll be unable to sell for whatever reason once the sell-off starts ?

Either that, or that the hedge funds somehow get people to start panic selling like what looked like could have been happening tonight during after hours, yes.

....that, or gamestop suddenly decides to dilute/create more stock to get rich quick, etc..

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

okay thank you for the answer! I prob won't risk it but at least now....I'm all set up to try dabbling in this type of investing once I read more about it lol xD

Would AMC or BB shares be viable? Or are they just risky distractions?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
okay thank you for the answer! I prob won't risk it but at least now....I'm all set up to try dabbling in this type of investing once I read more about it lol xD

Would AMC or BB shares be viable? Or are they just risky distractions?
AMC is in a similar boat to GME, it's being heavily shorted.

I've invested into AMC and there is potential that the stock could take off (though not NEARLY to the same degree as GME)

However, none of this is a sure thing. Do not invest any money you're not prepared to lose.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
AMC is in a similar boat to GME, it's being heavily shorted.

I've invested into AMC and there is potential that the stock could take off (though not NEARLY to the same degree as GME)

However, none of this is a sure thing. Do not invest any money you're not prepared to lose.

Thanks for the advice! :)

I'm definitely going to just watch and learn, only going to dip a toe in with expendable money if I feel ready to.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I have a question! I have a pending request for stock in GME. Will it be at the price listed now, or the price it opens at. I'm reading that after hours might bring the price down when stocks open again, so should I cancel my pending order and wait for markets to open?

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I have a question! I have a pending request for stock in GME. Will it be at the price listed now, or the price it opens at. I'm reading that after hours might bring the price down when stocks open again, so should I cancel my pending order and wait for markets to open?

I was just reading this on Robinhood. If you submit now you'll buy at the 9:30am price. I would just buy it at 9am tomorrow whenever early period starts.

If I understand correctly...

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Itll be at the price it opens at.

For what you should do that's up to you. There may be dips once the market opens.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Oct 27, 2017
Tried to setup Robinhood to link to my bank account and I keep getting the error "Couldn't connect to your institution" and no help has worked via Google.

suaveric

Nov 9, 2017
What does all this mean for GameStop the company? Are they going to be completely screwed once this bubble pops?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this absolutely dreadful take from one in the parasite class was already shared here, but I had symptoms of a stroke reading this galaxy brained take.

I personally hope his money is on the line in this stuff, and that he's on the losing end. Incels? Really? The problem wasn't the people betting on and pushing for the company to fail? The pushback is a fuck you, and the ones doing it will be profiting.

How are rich people, who have access to resources many cannot dream of, be consistently wrong about reality all of the fucking time?

O-oh, he supported Mike Bloomberg for President. Of course he's not smart.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I only hope that if the government or anyone overreacts to this it drives crypto up out of lack of faith or something.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
AMC and NOK are both moving next, but probably not major until GME finishes doing what it's doing.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
Well they do halt trading when things get too crazy, because there are a lot of automated systems now that sometimes go out of control otherwise. That's really all they can do

The SEC does have the Trading Halt card to play, which suspends trading in any stock for up to ten business days, and there is a very good chance that they would play this card for the GME stock soon IMO, and possibly some of the other meme stocks as well. Considering the fact that the SEC technically doesn't have to forewarn investors that it going to suspend trading of a stock and that they have already released a public statement that they are aware of the ongoing market volatility in the options and equities markets.

DISCLAMER: NOT A FINACIAL EXPERT, THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINOIN ON THE MATTER SO TAKE THIS INFO WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
This morning it jumped from something like $190-350. I wouldn't complain if we see something similar tomorrow.
Yeah, thats true, but i believe that the after-hour trade prices yesterday (Thuesday) was also higher, giving an indication that today's opening would be a pretty big increase from the previous day. That doesnt seem to be the case now, at least not right now (maybe it changes when its getting closer to the market opening though). So i was just curious if there were any indications for a big increased opening happening tomorrow as well, maybe some info posted on Reddit etc.. If it was just a guess/hoping, then thats more than fair of course :) But i just wanted to ask in case there were some indicators of a big opening tomorrow as well. And i agree, i wouldnt mind seeing a big opening tomorrow like we saw today, indeed =)

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, thats true, but i believe that the after-hour trade prices yesterday (Thuesday) was also higher, giving an indication that today's opening would be a pretty big increase from the previous day. That doesnt seem to be the case now, at least not right now (maybe it changes when its getting closer to the market opening though). So i was just curious if there were any indications for a big increased opening happening tomorrow as well, maybe some info posted on Reddit etc.. If it was just a guess/hoping, then thats more than fair of course :) But i just wanted to ask in case there were some indicators of a big opening tomorrow as well. And i agree, i wouldnt mind seeing a big opening tomorrow as well, indeed =)

It was hovering around 190 at around 6:00ish central this morning and then skyrocketed. I know because I couldn't figure out how to buy at that price and had to wait until the market opened. Obviously tomorrow could be a different story, but I think if the internet as a whole is still interested in this who knows.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It was hovering around 190 at around 6:00ish central this morning and then skyrocketed. I know because I couldn't figure out how to buy at that price and had to wait until the market opened. Obviously tomorrow could be a different story, but I think if the internet as a whole is still interested in this who knows.
Oh ok, i see. Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure what the exact after-hour trade price was at the same point in time yesterday as it is now to be honest, but i thought that it was increased compared to the previous day (which isnt the case right now). And i saw that it was at like $300 maybe 5 minutes before the marketing opened.

But if the stock price sky rocketed only a few hours before market opening today, maybe the same thing can happen tomorrow as well. But like you say, it could be different tomorrow, its hard to say for sure, indeed. I think will definitely be interesting to see what happens either way :)