• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Usually it jumps up in the morning and then settles down, goes down a bit after hours ... but given the volatility, there's no guarantee at all.
Understood. Thanks. I was just curious if there were any indications of a bigger jump or drop tomorrow at market opening, so i just had to ask :) I think its going to be an interesting day tomorrow in terms of the stock price either way, and i'm looking forward to see what happens =)

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh ok, i see. Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure what the exact after-hour trade price was at the same point in time yesterday as it is now to be honest, but i thought that it was increased compared to the previous day (which isnt the case right now). And i saw that it was at like $300 maybe 5 minutes before the marketing opened.

But if the stock price sky rocketed only a few hours before market opening today, maybe the same thing can happen tomorrow as well. But like you say, it could be different tomorrow, its hard to say for sure, indeed. I think will definitely be interesting to see what happens either way :)
Elon tweeted about the stock after close yesterday which had a lot to do with the after hours madness.

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
FYI the max Robinhood will give you is $1k instantly if you're a new user trying to buy tomorrow.

That is only if you pay for their monthly fee. If you decide to borrow any more money from Robinhood on margin, you are then subject to their margin interest calculation, among other risks they don't disclose in the app, but are available to read on their website; and I strongly suggest that you read it before you decide to start to buy stocks on margin from them, as it discloses some of the risks involved in doing such action.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Only spend money you can afford losing.
I feel like this should be added to the thread title as a quick filter for all the people asking if they should buy stocks.
The SEC does have the Trading Halt card to play, which suspends trading in any stock for up to ten business days, and there is a very good chance that they would play this card for the GME stock soon IMO, and possibly some of the other meme stocks as well. Considering the fact that the SEC technically doesn't have to forewarn investors that it going to suspend trading of a stock and that they have already released a public statement that they are aware of the ongoing market volatility in the options and equities markets.

DISCLAMER: NOT A FINACIAL EXPERT, THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINOIN ON THE MATTER SO TAKE THIS INFO WITH A GRAIN OF SALT.
Ohh boy that'd be pretty wild. On one hand I wouldn't be surprised (lots of possible ripple effects), on the other it kinda sets a precedent that I'm not sure they want to set.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
That is only if you pay for their monthly fee. If you decide to borrow any more money from Robinhood on margin, you are then subject to their margin interest calculation, among other risks they don't disclose in the app, but are available to read on their website; and I strongly suggest that you read it before you decide to start to buy stocks on margin from them, as it discloses some of the risks involved in doing such action.

Buying on margin is SUPER risky. Please be careful. Per the message above me, only spend money you can afford to lose.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Yellen doesn't seem too friendly to crypto as far as the short term gains on that look
I think the articles around that were overblown. I had read that she restated her position or said something additional around it.

But in the big scheme of things if these moves make reddit investors lose faith/hope/interest because of how government reacts, I hope it drives them into crypto.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Build-A-Bear Workshop managed to have been wrapped into this. And Tootsie Roll. What a story. Reddit be like:
mgid:arc:content:shared.southpark.us.en:00da504a-0a1e-49e0-a9d9-77d6331645fb

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like this should be added to the thread title as a quick filter for all the people asking if they should buy stocks.

Ohh boy that'd be pretty wild. On one hand I wouldn't be surprised (lots of possible ripple effects), on the other it kinda sets a precedent that I'm not sure they want to set.

To your second part, it might not be much of a precedent setting event as they have done it numerous times in the past. But I am also unsure if any of the archived trading suspensions they list on their site since 1995 best fits the situation currently going on with GameStop.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
To your second part, it might not be much of a precedent setting event as they have done it numerous times in the past. But I am also unsure if any of the archived trading suspensions they list on their site since 1995 best fits the situation currently going on with GameStop.
Yeah the latter is what I'm saying in regards to precedent, cause at least strictly speaking afaik there's not really anything wrong happening here. I don't know if they want to stop this, just to have the money potentially move over into pumping AMC or whatever and debating whether to play suspension whack a mole.

In a sense what's happening can be seen as just a long overdue correction. People were abusing the system one way for a long time and they're getting punished big time now. The threat of that happening would be for the greater good long term, so in that sense (along with the whack a mole issue) I could see them allowing it.

The main reason I see them stopping things is for overall market stability (the money to pay debts has to come from somewhere else) but I'm not entirely sure it'd be effective enough to justify.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
My news feed is a bunch of articles about how new stock market investors really shouldn't be investing in things like GME, AMC, BB, etc. You should leave that to the Wallstreet experts and test your skills with investment simulators.

It feels like any financially focused site is trying to push new people away from the market right now.

And sure, that's probably smart...But I can't help but laugh given how much money "Rela Investors" have lost due to the internet "incels" stepping in.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
With wealthsimple are there any fees transferring money to and from your account? Wouldn't mind having some money at the ready but not 100% sure it will be used.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
My news feed is a bunch of articles about how new stock market investors really shouldn't be investing in things like GME, AMC, BB, etc. You should leave that to the Wallstreet experts and test your skills with investment simulators.

It feels like any financially focused site is trying to push new people away from the market right now.

And sure, that's probably smart...But I can't help but laugh given how much money "Rela Investors" have lost due to the internet "incels" stepping in.

Over a long period of time, mathematically its better to invest in a low cost index etf the tracks a broad market. There is a reason people say this and its not because they want to scare you, its because for every 1 person who makes a shit ton of money of this stock, a whole bunch of people are going to lose money on it. Just wait until this thing crashes and burns, and it will, right now everybody is playing a game of chicken.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Is the "main stream media" doing FUD on this

Mainstream financial media, yes. The mystique of their precious world is being trashed right now.

Regular mainstream media is as agog as the rest of us. It's just weird and amusing and not especially concerning, unless you had a big stake in Citron.

Apr 25, 2020
Is the "main stream media" doing FUD on this

Absolutely. These hedge funds have friends in high places everywhere, and the media would be one of the easiest places to find them. Even Biden is tangentially being dragged into this just like Obama was in 2008.

Also can I just say, for anyone involved in this financially or even just watching the mess from the bleachers, now would be a great time to watch The Big Short, because this asshole is the guy who is trying to sink you:

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Absolutely. These hedge funds have friends in high places everywhere, and the media would be one of the easiest places to find them. Even Biden is tangentially being dragged into this just like Obama was in 2008.

Also can I just say, for anyone involved in this financially or even just watching the mess from the bleachers, now would be a great time to watch The Big Short, because this asshole is the guy who is trying to sink you:

So what you're saying is that...I should short GME? "Short everything that guy has touched!"

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Mainstream financial media, yes. The mystique of their precious world is being trashed right now.

Regular mainstream media is as agog as the rest of us. It's just weird and amusing and not especially concerning, unless you had a big stake in Citron.

Citron is actually awesome. Did market quite a few favor busting fraudulent companies etc. Unfortunately, he's probably taking a significant hit with GME even though his thesis was probably right.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Can we confidently say it's safe to place orders in Robinhood again?

I was hearing about people placing orders and having them stuck in pending through out the day.

I wanna make an adjustment to my limit sell, but I'd have to cancel the current one and place a new one.

Last thing I want is for it to not go through.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Over a long period of time, mathematically its better to invest in a low cost index etf the tracks a broad market. There is a reason people say this and its not because they want to scare you, its because for every 1 person who makes a shit ton of money of this stock, a whole bunch of people are going to lose money on it. Just wait until this thing crashes and burns, and it will, right now everybody is playing a game of chicken.
So I have all my investments in an index fund and feel safe about it. Yet I keep getting notices and emails and warnings that my portfolio is very aggressive and that I should diversify. Why is that? I thought this was the conservative approach.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I have all my investments in an index fund and feel safe about it. Yet I keep getting notices and emails and warnings that my portfolio is very aggressive and that I should diversify. Why is that? I thought this was the conservative approach.

Maybe your index funds are tracking narrow geographies or industries or types/groups of companies

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018

Funds don't all have the same goal. Some are higher risk than others. Also your portfolio is probably seeing that you have nothing stable (e.g. bonds). Ideally the older you get the less riskier your portfolio should be.

Depending on who your broker is they should have a portfolio checker that lays out, what they believe, to be the best mix of investments.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Your first 1k transfer is instant. If you do the gold membership it's 5k instant.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With wealthsimple are there any fees transferring money to and from your account? Wouldn't mind having some money at the ready but not 100% sure it will be used.
The only time they charge a fee is if you're transferring an account over to them. e.g. you have a TFSA with Scotia and want to move it to your WS Trade account then you might incur an administration fee. Funding and withdrawing funds is all free.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
570 strike up and running ... 1000 strike activated by Friday ...? Hang on your chairs

EDIT: Might have had an issue with pulling the data, disregard!

Last edited:

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No fees in regards to WealthSimple Trade unless you're transferring, say, an RRSP or another account valued under $5,000.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017

Which fund? If it only invests in aggressive stocks then you should have something safer too. Are you with vanguard?

I'm about 30/30/30 with painfully safe, medium, and aggressive, over 12 funds total. Possibly overkill but it's been over about 8 years. the final 10% of what I have invested was for following reddit and yolo options. I think I'm going to put all that to bed and wait for the dust to settle on this though, the party is going to be over soon.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I did order $100 worth of stock which is uh... 0.3#### worth of stock or so. Is that okay? I didn't want to put too much in.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
So I was browsing my instagram feed and my friend mentioned this in his stories. He's purchased 10 of 10 shares for about $3,600. About two hours later his story said YOLO and he went up to 8k. He plans on selling his shares next Friday. As a friend how concerned should I be for him? Is it realistic for him to make any profit from this?

Oct 27, 2017
So I was browsing my instagram feed and my friend mentioned this in his stories. He's purchased 10 of 10 shares for about $3,600. About two hours later his story said YOLO and he went up to 8k. He plans on selling his shares next Friday. As a friend how concerned should I be for him? Is it realistic for him to make any profit from this?

considering how hard these companies are trying to stop this, I'd say very concerned.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
rip your friend bank account if he waiting for next week to sellout.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your friend about to get a life lesson