Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that you have a very dedicated and hardcore multiplayer community who feels Gears of War plays perfectly and doesn't want to see it altered.

If the Coalition and MS really want to do something new with the franchise, at some point they might just have to say "fuck the fans" and ignore them.
Arcade mode is gonna be interesting to watch what it brings.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
We haven't seen enough of the campaign to know, apparently there's going to be a big shake up for the series so it's got more of a hub world where you can travel to different areas.

For some reason they're not showing more of the single player until September when the game releases.
that seems strange given how much of the campaign story and stuff they showed last year at e3. perhaps they're having trouble implementing some of the more ambitious things. will keep an eye on reviews/impressions when it comes out, thanks!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The problem is that you have a very dedicated and hardcore multiplayer community who feels Gears of War plays perfectly and doesn't want to see it altered.

If the Coalition and MS really want to do something new with the franchise, at some point they might just have to say "fuck the fans" and ignore them.
That's where game modes like Escape and Horde come in. There will be plenty of content in Gears 5 for people who don't want to play PvP.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
That's where game modes like Escape and Horde come in. There will be plenty of content in Gears 5 for people who don't want to play PvP.
Yep. Competitive Gears doesn't really sound appealing to me (I prefer games with a lot more fluid movement options like Tribes) but I'm gonna be all over the PvE modes.

I'll still try it out sure but I don't expect PvP to take up anything more than a sliver of my time with the game.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
At some point they might pull a Halo Reach and remove the most popular weapon from MP and see where that gets them. So for Halo it was the Battle Rifle, for Gears it's the Gnasher.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Ignoring the most loyal and reliable fans is a terrible way to do business - they are the reason the IP has retained any value at all.

That said when Hardcore players really enjoy the core gameplay, that doesn't mean that they think its perfect or beyond improvement. It just means they like what they like, and devs need to be careful that their pursuit of change doesn't cost them the characteristics that make the IP appealing in the first place.

Change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing. There are ways to expand the franchise (new modes, spinoff games etc) w/o alienating the diehards.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I got to play Escape at E3 and it looked really good (graphically) even with 3 player split screen, The mode itself is fun for me as I don't have enough time in PVP to be competitive.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Guess he took that magic with him to Lawbreakers and Radical Heights.

Lawbreakers was exciting and Radical Heights was serviceable. There's no denying Gears 1-3 as a trilogy was it's golden years. I personally enjoyed the hell out of Judgement. Gears 4 though??...Nah.

I do think Gears needs some new blood injected into it. Rod Ferg has been on it since Cliff was Creative Director of the series. Now he helms it. I would love to see this series shaken up.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
When it's a competent player, the mode doesn't look half bad.

I still maintain that this shouldn't have been on the stage at E3 and we should have seen the campaign, but it's an interesting mode.

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
It's a blatant copy paste from gears 4, literally everything looks like gears 4. Same animations, same gameplay, same graphics, same everything.

You could say that about most sequels. I don't have a problem with them doing that as long as they use them in new and engaging ways.

So far the story has potential and they're introducing a new game mode to the series. Off to a good start with me.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
When it's a competent player, the mode doesn't look half bad.

I still maintain that this shouldn't have been on the stage at E3 and we should have seen the campaign, but it's an interesting mode.

we already got Campaign last year. we got Escape this year at E3, Competitive in July, Horde in August and then a September launch.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
That game was called Gears Judgment and nobody bought it.

There's no denying Gears 1-3 as a trilogy was it's golden years. I personally enjoyed the hell out of Judgement. Gears 4 though??...Nah.

I do think Gears needs some new blood injected into it. Rod Ferg has been on it since Cliff was Creative Director of the series. Now he helms it. I would love to see this series shaken up.
I think Judgment is the weakest entry and coincidentally that's the game Rod had the least involvement in.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
That game was called Gears Judgment and nobody bought it.

I think Judgment is the weakest entry and coincidentally that's the game Rod had the least involvement in.

That's why I mentioned a lot of talk around the release of Judgement was that it didn't receive the AAA treatment, example of Rod not being part of the entry.

PCF did a great job with it imo.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
So, did they ever show campaign gameplay? I guess not? I thought there was supposed to be a montage or something at one point.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I mentioned a lot of talk around the release of Judgement was that it didn't receive the AAA treatment, example of Rod not being part of the entry.

PCF did a great job with it imo.
from what I remember it was PFC that did the Campaign and Epic developed the MP and OverRun.

this also might have been the time Rod left Epic to work on Bioshock Infinite

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
from what I remember it was PFC that did the Campaign and Epic developed the MP and OverRun.

this also might have been the time Rod left Epic to work on Bioshock Infinite

That sounds about right. I enjoy PCF coming off of Bulletstorm and seeing them helming the campaign for Gears: Judgement I went into the game with that excitement alone.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

There is apparently an additional new pvp mode that removes wall bouncing(or whatever it's called) for people who want a more casual experience. Called Arcade I think.

Jan 13, 2018
There is apparently an additional new pvp mode that removes wall bouncing(or whatever it's called) for people who want a more casual experience. Called Arcade I think.

I'd be down for that. Right now, in Gears 4, there's only a single casual PvP mode (Quick Play) with a cap on friends you be teamed with of one. (To be fair, that does stop the sweats coming in to curbstomp the rookies). All the remaining PvP modes are Ranked only, currently, and my casual group of friends get wrecked by those wall-bouncers, just skating skidlly-da-doo all over the place.

The new 3-person Escape Room sounds pretty good, too.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

this sounds like a horrible mode then. all it's really does create a fractured player-base where the casuals don't get any better and the veterans won't touch Arcade. it will ultimately be a dead game mode after people get their fill of Campaign and move on to the next game.

do you have the article/site/link where you seen this?

I'd be down for that. Right now, in Gears 4, there's only a single casual PvP mode (Quick Play) with a cap on friends you be teamed with of one. (To be fair, that does stop the sweats coming in to curbstomp the rookies). All the remaining PvP modes are Ranked only, currently, and my casual group of friends get wrecked by those wall-bouncers, just skating skidlly-da-doo all over the place.

this is why there needs to be a robust tutorial in the game to show new players how to wall bounce, up-A's, back A's, reaction shots, move around the map correctly and be competitive. the skill gap wont get any better with modes that remove mechanics.

IMO the movement mechanics really are half the battle with the PVP in this game, with shooting and situational awareness making up the other.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
this sounds like a horrible mode then. all it's really does create a fractured player-base where the casuals don't get any better and the veterans won't touch Arcade. it will ultimately be a dead game mode after people get their fill of Campaign and move on to the next game.

this is why there needs to be a robust tutorial in the game to show new players how to wall bounce, up-A's, back A's, reaction shots, move around the map correctly and be competitive. the skill gap wont get any better with modes that remove mechanics.

IMO the movement mechanics really are half the battle with the PVP in this game, with shooting and situational awareness making up the other.

I agree. Diluting the game isn't the way to make it more approachable. Instead, they should make deeper mechanics more obvious.

It would be cool if arcade mode somehow taught and incentivized the more advanced moves.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017

Well yea, did you play Gears Judgement?

Multiplayer was awful. The campaign and Overrun mode were great though.

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Played this at E3 had a really fun time with it. Played on Hardcore and it got pretty intense at times with the green smoke coming behind you while fighting enemies. The different abilities each character had was pretty cool too. I really wanna see what they do with horde mode.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll make Gears 6 and 7 next gen or try something new.
the entire studio was renamed to the Coalition, a name adopted straight from the lore from Gears of War. this along with the fact MS paid upwards of $100m for the IP they're going to try and make this work for at least three games.

if 343 can keep making Halo games long after the original developer left after 3 games then so can this studio.

Spartan117-TR

Feb 26, 2019
I was disappointed at E3 but i am hyped for Gears 5 now when i look at the big picture.Escape is a good new adition alongside with map builder.We're gonna see versus in July and we'll play it aswell in tech test that i can not wait.

New direction TC is taking is better than Geow 4, no rng box, earnable unlockables etc. (Please no more color blast charaters this time) I think future looks bright for Gears 5.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

Rod mentioned it in the GiantBomb interview he did at e3.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
the entire studio was renamed to the Coalition, a name adopted straight from the lore from Gears of War. this along with the fact MS paid upwards of $100m for the IP they're going to try and make this work for at least three games.

if 343 can keep making Halo games long after the original developer left after 3 games then so can this studio.

Yeah, I get that, you're right. But at least 343 seem to be changing things up with Infinite. Gears 4/5 really aren't that much of a departure from the 360 games. I feel like the series needs a reboot.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds sublime to me, i wont ever be able to put in the time to 'get good', thats reserved for Halo. I want to be jump in for a quick match now and then, so this is perfect. Im even more likely to play multi now.

And Gears is going to be a massive game for GP, so i dont think you'll have to worry about player population, infact, Arcade was designed specifically for new gamers coming into the franchise who havent had a decade to hone their skills.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
That does look pretty underwhelming, mostly due to frame rate and uninspired gameplay. Gears 1 remains the most impressive given the year it was released and relative to what existed at the time. The series has become rather derivative. A shame too, because OG Gears Co-op was one hell of an experience back in 2006.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That does look pretty underwhelming, mostly due to frame rate and uninspired gameplay. Gears 1 remains the most impressive given the year it was released and relative to what existed at the time. The series has become rather derivative. A shame too, because OG Gears Co-op was one hell of an experience back in 2006.
Whats wrong with the framerate. We has a test vid and it was pretty solid 60fps.