What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moly, Horizon FW sure is pretty

I'm going to stick to the Res mode. I know that once I see 60 FPS, my brain can't go back

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Holy moly, Horizon FW sure is pretty

I'm going to stick to the Res mode. I know that once I see 60 FPS, my brain can't go back
As long as it is consistent then 30FPS is pretty fine for me. Unlike Dying Light 2 though, while it is consistent for the most part there are still drops but for a game with a lot of parkour in first person and intense movements, 60 FPS is a must. Once I tried it, there is just no going back

Mad I never got to play this, it being 40 euro in Gamestop when I only had 20 as a teen and then it not working on a PS2 emulator a decade later

Looks way better than the one I played on PSP which is an FPS game lol.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it is consistent then 30FPS is pretty fine for me. Unlike Dying Light 2 though, while it is consistent for the most part there are still drops but for a game with a lot of parkour in first person and intense movements, 60 FPS is a must. Once I tried it, there is just no going back

Can't do 30fps anymore. Playing Cyberpunk on XSX and seeing Raytracing PC Videos is giving me big FOMO.
oh yeah, first person shooters and Driving are two genres that I will not tolerate 30 FPS for

On another note, I'll take 30 FPS over games that switch between 30 and 60 constantly

Dragon Age Inquisition has FPS Boost active on XSX during gameplay, but cutscenes and conversations are still 30 FPS

That right there is unplayable lol

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I can't do 30 FPS either - not when it's an option anyway. I'm playing through ..lol.. Dante's Inferno through backwards compatibility on Series X and just imagining the game running at anything less than 60FPS is giving me the shakes.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
I can't do 30 FPS either - not when it's an option anyway. I'm playing through ..lol.. Dante's Inferno through backwards compatibility on Series X and just imagining the game running at anything less than 60FPS is giving me the shakes.
Such a shame they never made a sequel and the DLC was EH. Really enjoyed playing it back in the day, game has such a strong atmosphere and art direction. Great soundtrack too.

I will also say that the anime is pretty good. If it was not for Castlevania then this still would have been the best video game anime ever made. It's very well done.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm playing it for the first time and a lot of it is very samey but the big set piece moments are very fun. Also a ton of topless women running around. Looking forward to that huge swinging Lucifer dick I've heard about.

As far as gameplay and level design I will still stick by my favorite Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
As far as gameplay and level design I will still stick by my favorite Castlevania Lords of Shadow.
Very underrated game. Perhaps the only of its kind that I can remember to really run the gamut in terms of level variety. By the end of the game it really feels like you've went on this years long journey. On the 360 the feeling is even more profound because it came in 2 discs which is insanity for a hack and slash game. Just felt like a very grand storybook adventure. Superb soundtrack as well.

I also always loved Vinny playing through the game over multiple UPFs until he finished it lol.

Unprofessional Fridays: 01/18/13
Unprofessional Fridays: 01/25/13
Unprofessional Fridays: 03/01/2013
Unprofessional Fridays: 03/08/2013

It really saddens me that the sequel is so average and at times, terrible. Just uneven.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Very underrated game. Perhaps the only of its kind that I can remember to really run the gamut in terms of level variety. By the end of the game it really feels like you've went on this years long journey. On the 360 the feeling is even more profound because it came in 2 discs which is insanity for a hack and slash game. Just felt like a very grand storybook adventure. Superb soundtrack as well.

I also always loved Vinny playing through the game over multiple UPFs until he finished it lol.

Unprofessional Fridays: 01/18/13
Unprofessional Fridays: 01/25/13
Unprofessional Fridays: 03/01/2013
Unprofessional Fridays: 03/08/2013

It really saddens me that the sequel is so average and at times, terrible. Just uneven.

Absolutely. The camera angles and art design was top notch. First time you come upon "the castle" and you see it framed in the distance as you traverse this gigantic frost shorn chain - it's like a painting. Also character design was outstanding. Carmilla was seductive without feeling like a cheap pinup. A far cry from her depiction in the sequel. I don't think all of it worked but enough of it did where by the end of the journey - and as you said it was a journey - I was completely won over by the experience.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the digital foundry Cyberpunk video and these current gen consoles are terrible at Ray Tracing. Guess we have to wait for next gen for that to get good.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I think generally using raytracing only for shadow-casting/AO gives the least payoff for the cost. For better and worse, we've gotten quite good at faking shadows efficiently. I'll never pay 50% frame-rate for it.

Reflections comes in second, and depends a lot of the type of content you have in the game. If it's only some water puddles or small metal detail surfaces here and there, it's still going to be meh IMO.

Top is GI, which is high-impact and really changes the scene vs a rasterized one without any bounce lighting at all.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
So pro tip for anyone starting Horizon. As tempted as you are to fiddle around and do side quests left and right, I'd suggest mainlining the main story through a mission called "Death's Door", then do whatever you want.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The new consoles can do ray tracing quite well, it just depends on its implementation.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this Horizon intro just goes on and on doesn't it

Only going by the this first hour or two, the voice work isn't too hot either.

Aloy is boring, and Varl sounds like a Two Worlds character

It's a big drop off from Cyberpunk

So pro tip for anyone starting Horizon. As tempted as you are to fiddle around and do side quests left and right, I'd suggest mainlining the main story through a mission called "Death's Door", then do whatever you want.
Thanks for the tip! Knowing me, I would have went through all the side quests first

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Holy shit this Horizon intro just goes on and on doesn't it

Only going by the this first hour or two, the voice work isn't too hot either.

Aloy is boring, and Varl sounds like a Two Worlds character

It's a big drop off from Cyberpunk

Thanks for the tip! Knowing me, I would have went through all the side quests first
I wasn't having a terrible time or anything but you'll spend time getting hung up on things that the story progress will solve.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I've listened to several podcasts now that mention that beginning area of the game is one long, boring tutorial that takes several hours to get through and then the game significantly picks up.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ratchet and GotG look good with ray-tracing. Maybe it is just Cyberpunk that is shit?

Nah. Ray-tracing in incredibly taxing on hardware. I don't know the in's and out's of Rachet but I would bet a mortgage on it being used in limited and specific ways if performance doesn't tank on a console when it's enabled.

Forza Horizon 5 for example only had it enabled in the Showroom mode because they couldn't hit performance targets if the car was being ray-traced in the world.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Yeah I like Cyberpunk a lot, dammit. Now to decide where to buy it. Play it now on XSX or wait for when I can buy good graphics card and enjoy the best version.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to several podcasts now that mention that beginning area of the game is one long, boring tutorial that takes several hours to get through and then the game significantly picks up.

It's been a three-stage rocket for the Nextlander folks.

Initial video/pod: Everyone seemed down on it.
Post-release video: Brad and Vinny much happier with it, thinks it improves a lot after the boring start.
Infernax video: Vinny says it really takes off just after the point they stopped the previous video, and good thing they stopped there to not spoil things.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure I will pick up forbidden west eventually. But i couldn't justify jumping in on a massive open world game with Elden Ring right around the corner.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a three-stage rocket for the Nextlander folks.

Initial video/pod: Everyone seemed down on it.
Post-release video: Brad and Vinny much happier with it, thinks it improves a lot after the boring start.
Infernax video: Vinny says it really takes off just after the point they stopped the previous video, and good thing they stopped there to not spoil things.

To be fair that's also Vinny who's pretty much the core demographic. From the reviews I definitely got the impression it still has a lot of the pitfalls of that type of game, like having too many rubberstamped activities and there being little challenge in the back half.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon does indeed pick up pretty quickly once you get out that of the intro

Forced stealth, crowded level design, scifi jargon overload, what a rough start that was

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'm currently bouncing between Horizon and Cyberpunk, and Elden Ring is this week. 2022 has already been a better year than 2021 and it's not even March.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That doesn't mean the Ray tracing is shit on consoles though, at least in my mind.

What I mean is Cyberpunk is a properly ray-traced game. That comes at a massive performance cost even with only medium setting RT on PC. It's no surprise they sacrificed it to get the next-gen versions up to spec.

Frankly, ray-tracing is the future but the performance cost for almost no discernible difference in most use cases means until hardware is much more powerful it's going to be one of the last things I as a PC gamer enable and likewise one of the last things developers constrained by console specs will include in any fully featured way. Games that aren't as technically taxing as a massive high fidelity open world game will obviously be able to use RT more because they have headroom something like Cyberpunk or Forza doesn't have.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
If anyone saw the Uncharted movie how many men does Tom Holland murder in it

If it's less than like 500 it's not accurate at all.

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Genesius

images

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
The hyperbole around Horizons presentation is really something on here. It's beautiful fo sure, but it's not "a big step for the industry."

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I just don't think that two characters standing in front of each other and having a conversation is "great cinematography"

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't have aimbot bro!"
<10 seconds later>
"My aimbot broke"

<single tear>
The total lack of self awareness, or any concept that other humans are involved when playing the game is kind of staggering.

It's like they never left the toddler stage where they think the entire world revolves around them and have no concept that other people really exist or have wants/needs/feelings.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
The total lack of self awareness, or any concept that other humans are involved when playing the game is kind of staggering.

There's a follow-up video on the same channel with the same guy trying to talk it off with "many streamers do it", "it's just streamer trolling" (~5:54)

Garbage.

Last edited: