• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is EXTREMELY disappointing from VoidBurger

I guess it's ok to put a slur in your game if the game is good?

Complete bullshit

The devs are absolutely very online and the game is full of internet bullshit... Giving them the benefit of the doubt in a case like this is ridiculous. Hell.... I think the very idea that there could even be any kind of context where a slur is ok is complete nonsense.

A slur is a slur... Imagine if that exact same scene was instead using the R word or the N word... I bet the reaction would be very different.

Also, the fact that she actually said the slur out loud during UPF makes the whole thing even more insulting. She clearly does not give a shit.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
She's just saying that they didn't do it on purpose, that's all.
She's not only excusing it but she even repeated it out loud on stream...

To use an example given by a friend just now... It's like if a piece of media was saying "this piece of armour just so happens to be hit by something and go 'chink' every time this character walks by". ya'll just didn't see the context!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm willing to believe that. Now that it has been pointed out they need to address it, but I'm not going to go in assuming that they used it knowing it's now common usage as a slur. Plenty of always online people may only see it as something that appears with a screeching frog/pepe.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm willing to believe that. Now that it has been pointed out they need to address it, but I'm not going to go in assuming that they used it knowing it's now common usage as a slur. Plenty of always online people may only see it as something that appears with a screeching frog/pepe.
.... pepe has been the mascot of shitty alt-right people for years...how does that make it good? If anything, this makes it even worse...

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
"Sus" has racist and transphobic origins as well. This stuff starts out like that and ends up so widely used that it's almost pointless to try and put the cat back in the bag.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
.... pepe has been the mascot of shitty alt-right people for years...how does that make it good? If anything, this makes it even worse...

I refuse to let them take pepe. I don't use it because of it's alternative usage but it doesn't mean I recognize them just taking my frog.

I also didn't say it makes it "good". I said they do need to address it even if it was an accidental usage of something they didn't realize the alternative meaning of. I'm just willing to believe that they didn't put it in their game knowing it was used as something to mock those with autism. I would like them to change it because I don't have enough connection to it's non co opted usage to care to keep it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to let them take pepe. I don't use it because of it's alternative usage but it doesn't mean I recognize them just taking my frog.

I also didn't say it makes it "good". I said they do need to address it even if it was an accidental usage of something they didn't realize the alternative meaning of. I'm just willing to believe that they didn't put it in their game knowing it was used as something to mock those with autism. I would like them to change it because I don't have enough connection to it's non co opted usage to care to keep it.
Sure... And I would be fine with the devs coming out apologizing and saying they're gonna fix it. People can make mistakes...

What Jess is doing however is completely downplaying it saying that it's not a slur.

Again, imagine if those very same images she posted in her tweets were using the N word (for example) instead...That obviously wouldn't fly.... So why is the other slur ok then? A slur is a slur ffs

And as I mentioned earlier, SHE FUCKING REPEATED IT OUT LOUD ON A STREAM... I think her opinion is really clear here and it's incredibly shitty.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017

It always grosses me out how pepe is the defacto twitch emote , with all the baggage of it being associated with al right movements just forgotten or ignored. Yes I know it wasnt the cretors intent at all, but its been tainted. 'Reeeee' is also a specific autistic slur and it would be suprising ot me if the crators had never come across this before . I just dont see any reason to defend its usage at all.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Also the only reply she has on her tweet is from MerritK lmao... You know you posted a good tweet when the only person who agrees with you is a known abuser.

I guess this is the new Giant Bomb now 🤷‍♂️

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly didn't even know that was a slur until this week. I thought it was referring to that frog video.

Last edited:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It always grosses me out how pepe is the defacto twitch emote , with all the baggage of it being associated with al right movements just forgotten or ignored.

I appreciate the people that refuse to let something they enjoy just be taken by shitty people. It's a losing battle but I still have my fondness for pepe.

That can also applies to the slur being mentioned, but I personally think it is too far gone and I never really had enough connection to it to want to die on the hill of defending it.

I can also appreciate Jess's position as someone else who was raised on 4chan and something awful. Sometimes you get so caught up in what you think is okay because you know your intention that you lose sight of the bigger picture.

Again, imagine if those very same images she posted in her tweets were using the N word (for example) instead...That obviously wouldn't fly.... So why is the other slur ok then? A slur is a slur ffs

Good thing she's not then since she would already be rightfully canceled if that were the case. Don't think what she is doing is well advised, but it's a long distance pull from dropping n bombs, because yes, there are degrees to everything, even slurs apparently.

I honestly did even know that was a slur until this week. I thought it was referring to that frog video.

Yes, originally it was. It was later co opted by people referencing those with autism and that tainted it. Some don't seem to want to let it go. They probably should.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that counted as a slur.
I'm not sure why we can't give the developers, who seem to be generally non problematic, some benefit of the doubt here. It seems like an easy change. Like if they doubled down on it sure, give em hell.

Also the merrit is an abuser stuff is super weird shit that fans ranted at Abby for too. And has as far as I could tell no real proof or substance to it from some really suspicious sources. So it's super weird for people to keep dragging their name through the mud. Especially since there's a lot of good caring people at fanbyte who I also don't think would stand for that shit

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Zack-Snyder.jpg

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article about Donut Country, Ben Esposito's previous game...

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Hopi-less: How Kachina Became Donut County

Two years ago, GDC 2013's Experimental Gameplay Workshop featured a game that had the crowd cheering and applauding in …

And a quote from it:

"When you get called out," Esposito finished, "shut up and listen. Examine your position. Learn from them. Learn to shut up."

As I said previously, it's ok to not know about something if you accept to recognize the issue and learn from it (and correct it in the dev's case).

What Jess did however is use her public platform to downplay the whole thing and say that people who reacted negatively to it are kneejerking and that it was not a slur.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
That Kirby & Shadow of the colossus speedrun was fantastic. Day 1 of SGDQ is quite solid.

The SotC runner is great, but has done the same/similar run at the past several events. Also I really hate "pet the X" incentives. Still a great start to SGDQ since they are the super sweet "wholesome" runner that they love.

I'm on a delay since this is the content that will sustain me for the next couple months. Really looking forward to some of the Mario runs though,

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
The merritt stuff always seemed very tenuous.

It's looking better and better but it's still very much an uphill battle given Fianna Fail and Fine Gael being two allied center right parties that gain a large chunk of the vote. However they keep on closing the gap when it comes to polls as people have absolutely had enough of the people in power with the housing, healthcare, infrastructure and cost of living issues currently happening.

Solidarity ✊

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
The SotC runner is great, but has done the same/similar run at the past several events. Also I really hate "pet the X" incentives. Still a great start to SGDQ since they are the super sweet "wholesome" runner that they love.

I'm on a delay since this is the content that will sustain me for the next couple months. Really looking forward to some of the Mario runs though,
I've watched a few runs today but the stand outs are definitely SotC and Kirby. Going to catch as much of them as I can live, GDQ weeks are always whole lots of good fun.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I'm not sure why we can't give the developers, who seem to be generally non problematic, some benefit of the doubt here. It seems like an easy change. Like if they doubled down on it sure, give em hell.

Also the merrit is an abuser stuff is super weird shit that fans ranted at Abby for too. And has as far as I could tell no real proof or substance to it from some really suspicious sources. So it's super weird for people to keep dragging their name through the mud. Especially since there's a lot of good caring people at fanbyte who I also don't think would stand for that shit

Yeah I had no idea it was a slur until the last couple of days either. I doubt it is very common, at least outside the U.S. I mentioned it to a couple of friends and they also had no idea.

In any case, I am sure the developer will address it accordingly and we can all move on.

Sep 12, 2018
Pleasing aesthetics here. I need to get into Columbo
It's hit or miss (almost all the ones rated above 7.5 on IMDB are worth watching imo) but the hits are some of the best episodes of television I have ever seen and unlike modern acclaimed shows you don't need to watch any of it in order.

Maybe the most satisfying ending I've seen to anything (from the Suitable for Framing episode):
www.youtube.com

Framed By Fingerprints | Columbo

Dale Kingston is finally caught red-handed...but this time it's Columbo's fingerprints that prove the crime!Scene From Season 1 'Suitable For Framing'He's th...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Are you lads proud of me, I downloaded an indie on Game Pass

After going through Horizon, Tsushima, and most of Cyberpunk, I figured a break from the the triple AAA scene was due

I decided to go with Unpacking, which seems like the exact mix of simple and satisfying that I need.

As someone that has moved over ten times in the last few years, I do find my anxiety is slightly flaring up at certain points, but it is an otherwise pleasant experience

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019

The catch here is that both Abby and Jess are very quick and passionate to call out bullshit according to them and that sort or sets you up for close scrutiny by the internet masses unfortunately. If you are very quick to condemn things that you feel passionate about and then go around and say "ehh you guys are exaggerating" about something that others care about but you don't, then you'll get called out on it. Replying with that quote at the start is also some first year at art school "Ooooof" energy. It's just a bizarre response when you really didn't have to say anything at all, instead of doubling down on trying to explain why some people shouldn't feel insulted because you personally don't.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The catch here is that both Abby and Jess are very quick and passionate to call out bullshit according to them and that sort or sets you up for close scrutiny by the internet masses unfortunately. If you are very quick to condemn things that you feel passionate about and then go around and say "ehh you guys are exaggerating" about something that others care about but you don't, then you'll get called out on it. Replying with that quote at the start is also some first year at art school "Ooooof" energy. It's just a bizarre response when you really didn't have to say anything at all, instead of doubling down on trying to explain why some people shouldn't feel insulted because you personally don't.

Jess brought it up initially. Said I heard the game has some problematic stuff in it. Agrees using that term is problematic. So to me it's big "oof energy" to assume it's something she doesn't care about/wouldn't be insulted by when she clearly would.

She then investigated it herself and said "in the context of the game it doesn't seem like it's trying to insult autistic people"
She thinks the slur is bad. She thinks it shouldn't be there.

That all seems pretty reasonable to me.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Jess brought it up initially. Said I heard the game has some problematic stuff in it. Agrees using that term is problematic. So to me it's big "oof energy" to assume it's something she doesn't care about/wouldn't be insulted by when she clearly would.

She then investigated it herself and said "in the context of the game it doesn't seem like it's trying to insult autistic people"

She literally repeated the slur out loud on a stream in front of thousands of people...

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
Sometimes it feels like some of you guys are just here waiting for the slightest fumble or logic gap from someone on camera live multiple hours a week so that the knives and the unhinged all caps posts can come out.

Everything Jess has done suggests she is a reasonable and thoughtful person about this kind of stuff, and what she's saying here seems pretty clear cut. This is a case where I think a LOT of people wouldn't necessarily pick up on the problem here, or would just relate it to meme crap.

So it sucks that the context is currently unfamiliar to a lot of people (and I count myself in that); it also shows that this kind of juvenile "online" characterisation is a minefield that brings Neon White's writing down as a whole. I can understand being upset by both that + the weight of the slur itself.

But this tirade feels a lot more maliciously directed at a person. Did you really need to tag her directly in your big angry post? It seems exhausting to be on the other side of this on a day to day basis. Consider the way you approach these problems and the best way to be constructive if you genuinely believe that someone's approach is wrong.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019

Sure that all sounds fine I'm just trying to put in context why people online would tend to be nit picky about this stuff, not saying that they are right in doing so either. The ooof energy comment was about the quote in her tweet which I will stand by as being like, cmon what are you doing that's extremely lame.

Personally I didn't know about the word, I read people here explain why it's be bad and shouldn't be used in any context and then just acknowledged it and moved on so I don't really have any stakes in this. People wanna dogpile on her about it well it's the internet baby what are you gonna do.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I dunno. The context Jess presented is even more problematic, I don't get that logic.
Repeating that slur just means it's even more intentionally a slur.

Well this is EXTREMELY disappointing from VoidBurger

I guess it's ok to put a slur in your game if the game is good?

Complete bullshit

The devs are absolutely very online and the game is full of internet bullshit... Giving them the benefit of the doubt in a case like this is ridiculous. Hell.... I think the very idea that there could even be any kind of context where a slur is ok is complete nonsense.

A slur is a slur... Imagine if that exact same scene was instead using the R word or the N word... I bet the reaction would be very different.

Also, the fact that she actually said the slur out loud during UPF makes the whole thing even more insulting. She clearly does not give a shit.

Yup.

There are games that can literally put racial slurs into the game and people are okay with it because "it's good".

Hell, if the developers don't react and ignore it - we know what's up. There would absolutely no shame, if it really was unintentional, to admit the mistake and change it up.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Whenever J_Viper and I discuss our love for the nuance and art of Snyder films this thread can turn pretty nasty.. so we're no strangers to this type of behavior, you just learn to have a thick skin and follow your heart

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
In response to the previous discussion I would just like to point out for those that are less familiar with her that Voidburger has a brother with low-functioning autism so I trust her more than most people on the subject.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever J_Viper and I discuss our love for the nuance and art of Snyder films this thread can turn pretty nasty.. so we're no strangers to this type of behavior, you just learn to have a thick skin and follow your heart
The day that I can no longer use the word kino, is the day I have to leave this place

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Sometimes it feels like some of you guys are just here waiting for the slightest fumble or logic gap from someone on camera live multiple hours a week so that the knives and the unhinged all caps posts can come out.

Everything Jess has done suggests she is a reasonable and thoughtful person about this kind of stuff, and what she's saying here seems pretty clear cut. This is a case where I think a LOT of people wouldn't necessarily pick up on the problem here, or would just relate it to meme crap.

So it sucks that the context is currently unfamiliar to a lot of people (and I count myself in that); it also shows that this kind of juvenile "online" characterisation is a minefield that brings Neon White's writing down as a whole. I can understand being upset by both that + the weight of the slur itself.

But this tirade feels a lot more maliciously directed at a person. Did you really need to tag her directly in your big angry post? It seems exhausting to be on the other side of this on a day to day basis. Consider the way you approach these problems and the best way to be constructive if you genuinely believe that someone's approach is wrong.
Basically where I am at. Also, put me in the camp who did not know anything about this word until this week and I have known about it more than I do the game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
imo, on the Neon White stuff, I don't disagree with Jess but I think it's up to the developer to clear the air a bit and demonstrate if it's ignorance or malice. I'm inclined to lean towards the former here, at least cause I was also familiar with this term but not with its roots being ableist.

I'm inclined to give benefit of the doubt here, reason being I already posted in the OT for the game. FWIW, I do have direct experience with autism

Now if the developer response is to equivocate out of it and find a reason to keep the term in when it clearly generates a hurt response by the community, then blowback is completely justified imo

Last edited: