• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
e4b9c06a782079270d634a315ed957e15691e7ee.png

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never beaten a Dark Souls game, thinks Bloodborne is "fine", and has Sekiro in my top 5 games of all time, I am extremely curious how I'm going to like Elden Ring

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Every From game where I can wear heavy armor, raise my shield and tank shit is a win for me.
Wanted to love Sekiro so much, but I was not able to play it.
That said I don't think I will play it soon - I have other things to do right now.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I think sekiro is remarkable but it is the only souls game I never wanted to play again as soon as I put it down. It's just too much. The last boss is the hardest thing I've ever done in a video game.

Elden ring has:
The exploration I love but magnified 10 fold.
Potentially amazing build diversity (my biggest complaint of both sekiro and bloodborne).

I honestly think there's no way I don't love it.

But if Tam comes out tomorrow and is like "massive disappointment" I may never play video games again I would be so heartbroken.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
For people that care about mods PC is a must. I don't, but I know a lot of people love modding the hell out of those games and playing them for years on end.

Sep 12, 2018
Sekiro is the From game that's most like learning to ride a bike. The second time you do it is significantly easier than the first and then the third onwards is a breeze.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give Elden Ring a try, maybe go for Bloodborne and PS5 Demon's Souls afterwards. it's a particular type of game I haven't properly dove into

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Sekiro is ironically the most and least accessible Souls game. There are no real builds or weapons or armor - it's just learning the combat system and being good at it. But that is also it's biggest hurdle for newcomers.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is ironically the most and least accessible Souls game. There are no real builds or weapons or armor - it's just learning the combat system and being good at it. But that is also it's biggest hurdle for newcomers.

Sekiro became the posterchild for the accessibility conversation, and I think that partly came down to a misperception of the parry system. There was this sense that Sekiro is all about rewarding the sharpest reflexes or whatever. But Sekiro parries have a generous window, you don't take damage unless you're drastically off (or holding a certain item), and some degree of parry spamming is totally allowed. It's more forgiving than even dodging is in Souls games, honestly.

In general, there is a more interesting conversation to be had about accessibility and Souls games than the fervor can let on, but I find it particularly interesting how enduring this gut-level awe toward Sekiro is. It's hard, like all these games are, but not in a different realm or something. Souls' difficulty has just been thoroughly demystified whereas Sekiro touched on just the right notes to recreate that mystique.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Right, this is the thing: once I got good at Sekiro, the act of playing it itself became massively satisfying on a very core level. I'm curious if Elden Ring's combat will itself support that kind of mastery or if the return to the RPG side of things means you have to "find the playstyle that's fun for you" and its maybe a little less tight

Sep 12, 2018
Sekiro became the posterchild for the accessibility conversation, and I think that partly came down to a misperception of the parry system. There was this sense that Sekiro is all about rewarding the sharpest reflexes or whatever. But Sekiro parries have a generous window, you don't take damage unless you're drastically off (or holding a certain item), and some degree of parry spamming is totally allowed. It's more forgiving than even dodging is in Souls games, honestly.
Yep, the first time I powered through the game I was spamming L1 like crazy but only recently I realized just how lax you can be while fighting even the most intense bosses.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019

In general, there is a more interesting conversation to be had about accessibility and Souls games than the fervor can let on, but I find it particularly interesting how enduring this gut-level awe toward Sekiro is. It's hard, like all these games are, but not in a different realm or something. Souls' difficulty has just been thoroughly demystified whereas Sekiro touched on just the right notes to recreate that mystique.
I would strongly disagree that the parrying is more lenient than simply dodge rolling in souls games. You can certainly spam the parry to your hearts content but to get the "perfect" parry which you actually need to drain the meters requires fairly exact timing. Parrying is also a lot more stressful because a dodge is fairly safe with a ton of i-frames while a parry has you standing in the way of a blow, and if you miss you lose life. I generally don't think Sekiro does anything all that revolutionary. Bloodborne was already a streamlined, aggressive type of Souls game. Sekiro took that and made it even more focused. By removing all other options in gameplay it is actually the least accessible one of those games, because people like Vinny for example will never gel with it. Sekiro is the quintessence of the "git gud" memes surrounding Souls games because unlike all those others games that allow for multiple paths to cheesing your way into victory, Sekiro demands that you actually learn the combat system and be decent at it.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the parry in and of itself.
There is the parry, and the jump, and the thrust counter move.
It is a lot to juggle

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing makes me feel more like a real gamer than switching out my Xbox Elite controller's thumb sticks for absolutely no reason

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I would strongly disagree that the parrying is more lenient than simply dodge rolling in souls games. You can certainly spam the parry to your hearts content but to get the "perfect" parry which you actually need to drain the meters requires fairly exact timing. Parrying is also a lot more stressful because a dodge is fairly safe with a ton of i-frames while a parry has you standing in the way of a blow, and if you miss you lose life. I generally don't think Sekiro does anything all that revolutionary. Bloodborne was already a streamlined, aggressive type of Souls game. Sekiro took that and made it even more focused. By removing all other options in gameplay it is actually the least accessible one of those games, because people like Vinny for example will never gel with it. Sekiro is the quintessence of the "git gud" memes surrounding Souls games because unlike all those others games that allow for multiple paths to cheesing your way into victory, Sekiro demands that you actually learn the combat system and be decent at it.
My problem with dodging in Souls games (Bloodborne largely mitigates this, but not entirely) is that the dodging gets way less safe or useful any time you're in one of the many areas, be it corridors/ledges in the world or boss fights that don't take place in a nice big arena with walls around it, where weird camera stuff can fuck you over. A lot of the frustration I had with Dark Souls, even last year when I tried again to get into it, was feeling like a bad dodge would fling me off an edge or into a weird corner where, as I swung the camera around wildly to orient myself, a big dude was suddenly going to slice me up

Its a weirdly technical thing now that I think about it, but I like how Sekiro's parrying meant that I could keep myself oriented and focus on the enemy and reacting to it bing-bang-boom in quick succession

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

I don't want to get into this discussion because it is tiresome but it seems I have to. It is not only about the reflexes. Bad reflexes add up - it's not just pressing the right thing at the right time. It's after you mess up it even gets worse. I don't mean to be mean - but you should stop assuming slow reactions from either a nervous or muscular condition is not a problem since a healthy person is able to "mash it out".
A healthy person often doesn't understand what certain conditions mean and how it feels to use and hold a controller, press buttons and simply play a game. Controlling the game alone is often struggle enough.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

You can get in a ton of deflections just spamming the parry button. It's actually funny how inexact the timing can be.

Relatedly, if you miss a parry, you very often don't lose anything except some stamina, because, again, the window is generous, you can quickly follow up one parry with another, and so on. I find dodging much more stressful, personally, as it actually consistently feels like I'm punished if my timing is off. Not to mention the stuff Mezentine touched on. Dodging well is a dance between you, the enemy, the camera, the level geometry. Spamming L1 instead simplifies a lot.

It's not the parry in and of itself.
There is the parry, and the jump, and the thrust counter move.
It is a lot to juggle

Yeah, how it telegraphs those different things can be a mixed bag. Definitely something that takes some getting used to, and not the most intuitive part of the game's design.

I don't want to get into this discussion because it is tiresome but it seems I have to. It is not only about the reflexes. Bad reflexes add up - it's not just pressing the right thing at the right time. It's after you mess up it even gets worse. I don't mean to be mean - but you should stop assuming slow reactions from either a nervous or muscular condition is not a problem since a healthy person is able to "mash it out".
A healthy person often doesn't understand what certain conditions mean and how it feels to use and hold a controller, press buttons and simply play a game. Controlling the game alone is often struggle enough.

Not assuming anything. I'm using the word 'accessible' broadly, not with a sense of universality. I have no doubt Sekiro is particularly inaccessible to a bunch of people. I mean, I'm comparing the game to other hard games I also have no doubt are inaccessible to a bunch of people.

I do suspect that perception of Sekiro's difficulty will be recalibrated over time, though, just as it happened with Souls. Especially if Sekiro 2 ever happens.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Interested to hear what The Gerst Mann thinks about CoD finally breaking the annual release cycle

2 gifts from derFeef

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from derFeef derFeef!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

derFeef said:
I hear you folks love open world games.

REEGION RESTRICTED: ONLY FOR THESE COUNTRIES:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2#Officially_assigned_code_elements
  • AD
  • AE
  • AF
  • AL
  • AO
  • AT
  • BA
  • BE
  • BF
  • BG
  • BH
  • BI
  • BJ
  • BW
  • CD
  • CF
  • CG
  • CH
  • CI
  • CM
  • CS
  • CV
  • CY
  • DE
  • DJ
  • EE
  • EG
  • EH
  • ER
  • ES
  • ET
  • FI
  • FR
  • GA
  • GB
  • GG
  • GH
  • GM
  • GN
  • GQ
  • GR
  • GW
  • HR
  • HU
  • IE
  • IL
  • IM
  • IQ
  • IR
  • IS
  • IT
  • JE
  • JO
  • KE
  • KM
  • KW
  • LB
  • LI
  • LR
  • LS
  • LT
  • LU
  • LV
  • LY
  • MA
  • MC
  • ME
  • MG
  • MK
  • ML
  • MR
  • MT
  • MU
  • MW
  • MZ
  • NA
  • NE
  • NG
  • NL
  • NO
  • OM
  • PL
  • PS
  • PT
  • QA
  • RE
  • RO
  • RS
  • RW
  • SC
  • SD
  • SE
  • SH
  • SI
  • SK
  • SL
  • SM
  • SN
  • SO
  • ST
  • SY
  • SZ
  • TD
  • TG
  • TN
  • TR
  • TZ
  • UG
  • VA
  • XK
  • YE
  • YT
  • ZA
  • ZM
  • ZW

These are our awesome prizes:

• Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Borderlands 3 - Steam - Won by Fevaweva Fevaweva (4 entries)
  • Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Borderlands 3 Directors Cut Addon - Steam

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Yeah GB and NxL both are being very dramatic about its issues lol

I do believe Brad and Vinny warmed up to it though

The intro is super rough, but I'm having a great time now that I'm in the open world
Yeah, Brad and Vinny really came around on it, tho Brad said he stop playing it to cover Elden Ring and I doubt he'll go back to it. He did say, on the last Mass Effect stream that, he's surprised he still thinking about Horizon while he's been playing Elden Ring. Vinny sounds like he's really into it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of open world excellence, RDR2 Online and riding out into the hinterlands with the boahs hunting the daily objective animals was a pretty chill experience.

That game's online mode doesn't have the legs of GTA's but at its best it's ten times more immersive.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Speaking of open world excellence, RDR2 Online and riding out into the hinterlands with the boahs hunting the daily objective animals was a pretty chill experience.

That game's online mode doesn't have the legs of GTA's but at its best it's ten times more immersive.
I have hundreds of hours in RDO. There are dozens of us.