• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do YOU want the next OT title to be?

• LIVE SKIT HERE

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • There's Some Gift Giving, Hades Shit, Everyone's Horny

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • The Essence Of Pickle Is Afoot

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Here She Comes O'brian

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Le Freakzilleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You Guessed It, I'm The Captain

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Get Forked

Votes: 48 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I've put a couple of hours into death stranding and so far, it's not for me.
Death Stranding is one of those games where you either "vibe" with it or you don't and it's a weird ethereal quality that you can't pinpoint. There were absolutely plenty of things I found frustrating in that game but something about it made me just enjoy the overall experience and keep coming back. Also I love unique sci-fi.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I too like big games with shiny graphics. They are definitely what i get most "hype" for. But if you blanked out the names of two games. And just showed me their meta critic score and AAA/Indie. The Indie: 93 MC rating. The AAA: an 85, i am going to want to play what that indie game is every time. (this is not to say anything about scores which are often dumb and arbitrary and who cares, but I do think it is even MORE impressive to me when an indie game receives a high score)

Of that list Viper, I think Edith Finch is the one I would put top priority.
It has a few segments that are still absolutely burned into my brain and will be forever.
(Although, if the 'walking simulator' genre is a nonstarter for you, maybe don't bother lol)

Death Stranding is a game I liked best when it was literally a walking simulator. I liked making paths and getting across mountains through blizzards. I didn't like anything about the story/the combat. But the world had an interesting perspective and look to it that it is definitely a game worth "checking out" to see if it vibes with you. But I bailed about 3/4ths of the way in after having my fill.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Rogue Legacy 2 has the same problem then Spelunky 2 has for me. While it's a great game, very polished and fun - I could also go back to the first game and have the save amount of fun.

Edit: my English gibberish is embarrassing, I apologize. Doesn't help that I am on mobile.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Legacy 2 has the same problem then Spelunky 2 has for me. While it's a great game, very polished and fun - I could also go back to the first game and have the save amount of fun.

I think Rogue Legacy 2 is a better game. But it is also very much the same game. It feels kind of restrained in its ambition (Yeah in the same way Spelunky 2 did)

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Have any/many people been tweeting or emailing the Dev about it?

I've seen the original tweet highlighting it, and a bunch of conversations in the GB extended universe threads talking about how those different teams are covering it...but I've not seen anyone else tweeting the Dev and getting a shit reply or anything like that.

I did a quick search on Twitter and only saw 2 people actually tag Ben Esposito about it. That's amid a ton of people tagging him with general feedback about the game. He and his wife also just had a baby, so it's not unreasonable to think that he might have missed it or not had a chance to respond yet. But you'd think at some point someone high profile is going to get his attention about it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Zack_Snyder-Army_of_the_Dead-Big.jpg

For me what drew me into indie games are two things

- How they could take an idea all the way to its logical end point while being creative about it
- Often times the games are focused on themes not focused in AAA games

It was never about length for me. I'm more about the ideas, themes and mechanics but I could also see the appeal in how indie games in general do not necessarily overstay their welcome.

Not at all, I like indies because they offer a broader range of game types than most big publishers.

I honestly couldn't care any less about finishing most games.
Very interesting, and it makes sense.

Unpacking is a great example of a game that would I did not think would be into, yet I vey much am

games are games.
I really don't understand why there is an AAA / Indie divide for you. I mean, it's you, so i get it lol.

But if a game is good why do i really care the size of the studio or how much money was behind it?
Lmaoooooooo 100% fair

Like DM said, it's all about the allure of a big budget, which indies really do not have

Buuutttttttt, as the AAA scene is still recovering from the last few years, I figured now is the time to broaden my horizons

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Dear Giant Bomb is something for me because it might promote fun conversation without the cringe-fest of voice mails.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Of that list Viper, I think Edith Finch is the one I would put top priority.
It has a few segments that are still absolutely burned into my brain and will be forever.
(Although, if the 'walking simulator' genre is a nonstarter for you, maybe don't bother lol)
I'm actually into the idea of a walking simulator, despite having never check one out lol

I dig the concept of having such a focused narrative that can only be provided by that genre.

Edith will be next for me since I hear it indeed a very heavy experience

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I'm actually into the idea of a walking simulator, despite having never check one out lol

I dig the concept of having such a focused narrative that can only be provided by that genre.

Edith will be next for me since I hear it indeed a very heavy experience
I don't usually get emotional about games because I'm dead inside but I don't know what it is about Edith.. that game hit me in the end. Also without any spoilers, it's surprisingly different in tone than you would expect. Like it's a VERY unique experience and a great one at that. As a fellow Snyder-Head I recommend it.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Death Stranding is one of those games where you either "vibe" with it or you don't and it's a weird ethereal quality that you can't pinpoint. There were absolutely plenty of things I found frustrating in that game but something about it made me just enjoy the overall experience and keep coming back. Also I love unique sci-fi.

once I dropped down to Easy it was a great ride. The combat was annoying on Normal.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I wish you could turn off enemies, especially the stupid oil gloop "boss" monsters entirely in Death Stranding.

That game is at its best when you're picking a loadout and exploring the world and building items. At least the story can be tuned out/muted/ignored, you can't say the same for the awful combat and even worse bosses.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
once I dropped down to Easy it was a great ride. The combat was annoying on Normal.
You mean with the other humans or with the ghosts? The names curiously completely escape me. I actually kind of liked fighting the hoarder gangs. Going through the ghost areas was sometimes very tense and cool but often times kind of a chore.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually get emotional about games because I'm dead inside but I don't know what it is about Edith.. that game hit me in the end. Also without any spoilers, it's surprisingly different in tone than you would expect. Like it's a VERY unique experience and a great one at that. As a fellow Snyder-Head I recommend it.
That is all I needed to hear

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it'll click for you because for me it was an immediate "okay I'm not sure about it but it's intriguing me enough to carry on" until I hit a really great stride with it in the middle chapters.
I have to be in the right mood for a game like this to grab me. Got to admit, carrying the dead president on your back is a hell of a start.

I might come back to it after Cuphead.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
I was the annoying Unfinished Swan fan when it came out around when Journey did but I still have yet to play Edith Finch…

OP
OP
Death Metalist
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Golden Era of Assassins Creed. I'm with Vinny in that the modern AC games just don't hit the same. They are all very much the Mass Effect Andromeda of Assassins Creed.
It's because they really fumbled the core mystery of Assassins Creed but also the living tissue. The whole Ezio/Altair history and dynamic really provided the foundation to build interesting stuff that should have tied in better with all of the future shit but it's clear that if they were to go that route they wouldn't be making anymore games because the assumption at least from what I understood is that Desmond once knowing his lineage and everything surrounding it, takes all that knowledge and apply it to his current timeline as he goes after the templars which means that the game will reach a crescendo. Like the ending of AC2 is still hype for that very reason.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It's because they really fumbled the core mystery of Assassins Creed but also the living tissue. The whole Ezio/Altair history and dynamic really provided the foundation to build interesting stuff that should have tied in better with all of the future shit but it's clear that if they were to go that route they wouldn't be making anymore games because the assumption at least from what I understood is that Desmond once knowing his lineage and everything surrounding it, takes all that knowledge and apply it to his current timeline as he goes after the templars which means that the game will reach a crescendo. Like the ending of AC2 is still hype for that very reason.
I mean yes, all that, but I meant more along the lines of gameplay mechanics. AC was always an awkward controlling weird mess, but it was MY awkward controlling weird mess. The lack of sprawling cities also doesn't help. Egypt was a complete bore to navigate. Valhalla at least had a lot of these tiny "puzzle" dungeons (not much unlike Elden Right might I add) but the story and characters were painfully boring which made the already incredibly long playtime even more of a dreg.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: my English gibberish is embarrassing, I apologize. Doesn't help that I am on mobile.

As long as Rogue Legacy offers something more I'll enjoy it. Original game is kind basic in a way that got really boring to me. Upgrades didn't really end up mattering and I could easily clear out the entire castle every time I went in and was just doing it to get chests for the final items.

Spelunky 2 had a ton more going on but was so punishingly hard that it was really annoying to go and try any new area. First game just had less to shoot for even if it was around the same difficulty so could still reasonable do everything. Got to the final Cosmic Ocean thing like one time in 2 and that was enough for me as fun as all the new items and things you could do were.

Dead Cells was a more enjoyable game overall for me I think.

Funny that I have such a large playtime in all of these when I don't even like procedural games typically.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I hadn't played a Kojima game since MGS3, and hadn't probably loved a Kojima game since MGS2 when I played Death Stranding in 2020, and I found myself surprised by how much I ended up loving it. The story is largely nonsense, and I wish the game didn't have any combat whatsoever, but the act of traversing landscapes, savoring small victories (whoa, someone left a ladder exactly where I needed it!), building up travel networks to make traversal easier with time, and simply taking in the gorgeous vistas (as conspicuously non-American as they are), was a delight.

I have no desire to play the director's cut anytime soon despite having access to it, which is a shame. But it's a game I really dug. If you told me that my favorite PS4 1st party exclusive was going to be Death Stranding a few years back, I'd have laughed at you. Yet, it sucked me in in a way that God of War, Horizon, and (so far) Ghost of Tsushima never did for me. And despite liking The Last of Us 2, that outstayed its welcome far sooner for me than Death Stranding did.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I loved Last of Us Part 2 but the problem with the narrative mirroring is that by the midpoint you already know the outline of what's coming ahead, and with that the realization of how much more gameplay hours remain. Even then by the time you think it's finished the game pushes way past the stretching paint..

Death Stranding though.. you have no clue where it's headed which makes those hours go by that much quicker.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished playing AI: The Somnium Files.
Overall I really enjoyed it. The biggest detractor is the juvenile sexual humour, which makes it hard to recommend to the average person. Probably won't play Nirvana Initiative until it goes on at least 50% off, but I'm looking forward to it.

Now I'm on to Chicory which has been a delight

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I loved Last of Us Part 2 but the problem with the narrative mirroring is that by the midpoint you already know the outline of what's coming ahead, and with that the realization of how much more gameplay hours remain. Even then by the time you think it's finished the game pushes way past the stretching paint..

Death Stranding though.. you have no clue where it's headed which makes those hours go by that much quicker.

I suppose, I never had that problem with it. In a purely narrative manner, it was different enough that I really wanted to see where it went. It was also hard to do it any other way really, due to the characterisation they wanted to achieve. I can see why yoursel and others did have an issue, but I kind of loved it.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I suppose, I never had that problem with it. In a purely narrative manner, it was different enough that I really wanted to see where it went. It was also hard to do it any other way really, due to the characterisation they wanted to achieve. I can see why yoursel and others did have an issue, but I kind of loved it.
Oh I liked it, like I said I loved the game overall, I was just commenting on how that structure did contribute to the game feeling longer as a result just because I knew more or less the ground we had to cover from the mid point.

Generally speaking I really like seeing the same events from a radically different viewpoint conceit.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most impressive thing about Death Stranding, so far, has been the use of the speaker on the controller. Water effects, baby crying and it's gets freaky when those BTs show up.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Oh look.
store.steampowered.com

Neon White - Neon White 1.0 Revision 1.1 Patch Notes - Steam News

Patch 1.0r1.1 Features Added Voiceover Volume slider Application no longer pauses when losing focus Game now automatically creates backup save files periodically Added Cancel option for Miracle Katana discard screen Implemented known hacker ban list Insight Aim setting defaults to 'On' (Insight...

Listed under Bug Fixes, lol.
Changed Demon screech onomatopoeia dialogue in Raz's free time conversation

Curious in what way they changed it.

Not particulary a fan how Jess reacted on Twitter about it, but I get why she did.

Last edited:

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Oh look.
store.steampowered.com

Neon White - Neon White 1.0 Revision 1.1 Patch Notes - Steam News

Patch 1.0r1.1 Features Added Voiceover Volume slider Application no longer pauses when losing focus Game now automatically creates backup save files periodically Added Cancel option for Miracle Katana discard screen Implemented known hacker ban list Insight Aim setting defaults to 'On' (Insight...

Listed under Bug Fixes, lol.

Curious in what way they changed it.

Apparently to "EEEEEE!!!"

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I played about 4 hours of DS on the PS4 and then fell off. I did buy the Directors Cut on PC so... eventually I will get to it again. I did not hate it or anything, liked its uniqueness and even was quite interested where it goes from a story perspective.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Return to Monkey Island was going to have that art style. Dan didn't even recognize it.

Its definitely my favorite adventure game series of all time, I replay secret and 2 a lot

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
finally the PacMan world remake everyone's been clamoring for. that bad 90s gameplay now with slightly better graphics