• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 14th of October is a weird date. That would put any election post the 31st of October (even if you ignore all the parliamentary stuff which would have to happen to call an election it takes a minimum of 25 working days by law from the dissolution of parliament to the polling day), which makes me doubt they'd go for a no deal on the 31st if their Queen's speech is voted down (and it would be). You'd be looking at an election in the week of the 18th of November post a no-deal, almost certainly the 21st of November. It'd be chaos, it'd literally be the worst time Johnson could call an election in a no deal scenario, it's long enough for any disruption to overtake stockpiling. If you're going for a no deal election you'd want it immediately (within one or two days of no deal) where your mitigation have their maximum effect.

This is to set up a people vs the politicians "tell them again" election.

I think this is all about no-deal. They are all in. Farage and the ERG have got Boris by the knackers and if we get to the 14th October and the Queen's Speech, no-deal is guaranteed. The fallout will be bad. The timing is probably bad. But no deal will happen.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So to protect a "democratic" referendum they are going to perform a completely undemocratic act?

Party before country, it's the Tory way.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Bercow has said lots of times he will not take kindly to any Gov trying to stop parliament having a say, it is all a game of chess, the opposition MP's will now have to go away to see if there is anything they can do to counter this move

opposition doing a Vote of no confidence and a new election (assuming the vote passes), I reckon is what will happen now before they can suspend parliament.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why are people reacting like the Queen would even listen to this buffoon's demands?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
620x-1.png

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like how so many people are making a huge thing out of nothing - it was pretty obvious for a long time now that from the British side a no-deal was going to happen (too much difference between parties). The only hope was that the EU would meet them half-way and make a deal - but the EU is quite arrogant too.

This is just like all that 'doom hype' back when the vote to leave EU happened. Life will go on, there will be a few tough months whilst things get sorted out, but ultimately things will go back to how they were. London isn't going to lose it's Financial hub of the world status just because it's leaving the EU, and anyone who says so just plain doesn't understand how the world works tbh.

I left in 2015 and even back then there were a lot of people not happy with the EU (though I was in the Midlands, not London).

Edit: Not a British citizen, I could be wrong - can't believe I have to state it implicitly, but these are my personal views only.

yeah mate completely forsaking Northern Ireland and probably starting the Troubles all over again, exactly back to how things were

back in the fucking 70s, that is

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She can't stop this. She won't stop this. It's legal. That's why the law needed to change - and why he's doing this now before it can be. Remember this is all coming a day after opposition leaders met to plan against this.

It's not certainly legal. It's untested. There will be a judicial review.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
She can't stop this. She won't stop this. It's legal. That's why the law needed to change - and why he's doing this now before it can be. Remember this is all coming a day after opposition leaders met to plan against this.

She doesn't need to suspend Parliament, that's still her decision. At least that's what the article makes it sound like.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think this is all about no-deal. They are all in. Farage and the ERG have got Boris by the knackers and if we get to the 14th October and the Queen's Speech, no-deal is guaranteed. The fallout will be bad. The timing is probably bad. But no deal will happen.

Nah. This about wanting to be seen to be delivering no deal and being stopped by the remainer elite because thats what gives them the maximum electoral advantage (as they'd see it: I'm not so sure I think what they gain in the midlands and north they lose in Lib Dem facing seats). People talk about the blitz spirit which was largely a myth, and I don't actually think no deal will be catastrophic in the short term, but it'll be disruptive enough that you're not going to call an election in during the crisis (and having a failed queens speech on the 14th of October means a late November election). No deal isn't that popular as an abstract concept, it's popularity will crater if it's ever actually a reality and an election at that point would be far too dangerous for Johnson.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people reacting like the Queen would even listen to this buffoon's demands?
She has no power, she is a figurehead and she like that her family lives like literal royalty without doing anything.
She will never rock the boat, if the elected government want it to sink, she will give the go ahead.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't need to suspend Parliament, that's still her decision. At least that's what the article makes it sound like.

It's technically her decision but as in all other matters she will take the advice of her Prime Minister. Acting contrary to that advice would represent a taking back of political power by the crown. That is not going to happen.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's technically her decision but as in all other matters she will take the advice of her Prime Minister. Acting contrary to that advice would represent a taking back of political power by the crown. That is not going to happen.

Well, she also knows that he's not really a properly elected prime minister at all. The Queen may be a lot of things, but she's not an imbecile. I feel like people are giving her too little credit.

Oct 25, 2017
Hold onto your asses, we're either getting an election or turbocharging to no deal. Boris is forcing the VoNC as the only method to remainers so he gets his 'parliament vs the people' election

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
The 14th of October is a weird date. That would put any election post the 31st of October (even if you ignore all the parliamentary stuff which would have to happen to call an election it takes a minimum of 25 working days by law from the dissolution of parliament to the polling day), which makes me doubt they'd go for a no deal on the 31st if their Queen's speech is voted down (and it would be). You'd be looking at an election in the week of the 18th of November post a no-deal, almost certainly the 21st of November. It'd be chaos, it'd literally be the worst time Johnson could call an election in a no deal scenario, it's long enough for any disruption to overtake stockpiling. If you're going for a no deal election you'd want it immediately (within one or two days of no deal) where your mitigation have their maximum effect.

This is to set up a people vs the politicians "tell them again" election.

Boris loses either way if he has an election after Oct 31st. Either he didn't deliver brexit and the Brexit party eat his votes alive or he did crash us out and people are rioting in Asda.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. This about wanting to be seen to be delivering no deal and being stopped by the remainer elite because thats what gives them the maximum electoral advantage (as they'd see it: I'm not so sure I think what they gain in the midlands and north they lose in Lib Dem facing seats). People talk about the blitz spirit which was largely a myth, and I don't actually think no deal will be catastrophic in the short term, but it'll be disruptive enough that you're not going to call an election in during the crisis. No deal isn't that popular as an abstract concept, it's popularity will crater if it's ever actually a reality and an election at that point would be far too dangerous for Johnson.

So you think it's bait for the VONC which one way or another will result in an extension and an election? What happens if they don't take the bait and fight him in the courts? Theoretically, a JR could force parliament open or parliament could sit outside the house. The VONC is a trap. Unless the opposition parties can form a formal alliance they are fucked electorally because the vote is split. Boris could get a landslide with a lower vote than 2017.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
It's not certainly legal. It's untested. There will be a judicial review.

He sought legal advice last week and now it's happening. Everyone was afraid of it happening because it was all too possible under the current rules.

As is stated, it's being put through under the extremely thin veil of being a "new Government." If this happened at any other time in the weeks after a new Prime Minister took office it probably wouldn't cause that much of a stir - especially since May delayed the last Queen's Speech, so the Government is working without a recognised agenda (beyond crash the economy and trash the country with a No Deal Brexit).

It's the timing and obvious ploy to drive No Deal through that makes this a problem and people should rightfully be outraged. There's still time to change the law, but not much.

Sure, the Queen could burn the whole system down and ignite chaos with a single word. But she won't.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Boris loses either way if he has an election after Oct 31st. Either he didn't deliver brexit and the Brexit party eat his votes alive or he did crash us out and people are rioting in Asda.

But that's what he's setting up. Because his plan is to provoke remainer MP's to do a VONC before Brexit so he can have his people vs the politicians election.

It's why this has come out the day after Labour basically poo-poo'd an early VONC. This is an attempt to get an election without calling one.

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me, but don't the UK vote for parties and not a person?

Correct.

Feels like the only thing the Queen could reasonably do that wouldn't be "taking back power" would be to abdicate, meaning that the next monarch would be the one to do it. But that would just delay. Still, might give enough time to counter it...

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Correct.

Feels like the only thing the Queen could reasonably do that wouldn't be "taking back power" would be to abdicate, meaning that the next monarch would be the one to do it. But that would just delay. Still, might give enough time to counter it...

Thanks, so there is no real elected PM as what the other poster mentioned since you vote party and not person where the party chose a leader.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
So the idea of this is to prevent the remainers from passing a law that would stop No deal?

Since this is the option that the non Labour remainers have asked for instead of the VONC option that Corbyn suggested, does this move by Borris mean that the non Labour remainers will have no choice now but to support a VONC since its the only option left now?

I think the idea is that the remain factions are in disarray and it's not clear if a VoNC will pass, and if it does, it's likely that no-one else can win confidence.
As we get closer to the deadline, it's more likely that the remain factions will stop jockeying for position and actually co-operate to take down Boris.
By suspending parliament for a Queen's speech on 14th Oct, it means that the only way to stop Brexit is to have a VoNC in the next week or two, which makes it difficult to pass. By the time we get to the 14th Oct, it's (probably) too late.

However, Boris could shoot himself in the foot here (though I might be being too optimistic).
The Queen's Speech must be voted for (after it is given, because that totally makes sense), and can be amended. The main way that Boris can get no deal is by ensuring he doesn't attempt to pass any bills that could be amended with "and we won't do the Brexit".
Amending it to add "and the government will seek to extend the Brexit deadline" might be possible, though since the Queen will have literally just read a speech about leaving on the 31st October, it would be quite unorthodox to amend the speech to say the opposite (the votes happen after the speech has been given). I think the Queen's Speech is usually amended to add extra policies and not to contradict what's already been said.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good places that list protest tactics? I'm scared about taking to the streets but I guess we have to at this point. Sad times to live in.