• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsukuba will be added to the season 2 schedule - which track should make way?

• Willow springs

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Monza

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Neither - keep the original schedule

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Do all of them - Adds additional week, finale on the 13th May

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep it's 50l starting so you're best off testing by opening a lobby and setting it up using the details in the OP.

Using time trial mode is pretty useless when practicing as you will have no idea how the car handling, braking and lap times will drop off as your tires wear.

Fifanutz

Nov 2, 2017
Just have to set the fuel rate and see how many laps half a tank lasts. Should be accurate enough to give you a gist of when you can expect to make your 1st stop.
I've done non of this and have no time to do it. I'll be winging it big time!

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A one stopper is possible, but dependant on how quick everyone else is and whether they go for 2 or 3 stops it may be sub-optimal.

I think 2 or 3 stop strategies will be the most common since they are safest.

Full damage would have shaken things up even more in terms of strategies since if you get in a wreck you would need to deviate from your original plan on the fly.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the online lobby trick but I couldn't start a race solo, so I just did another customer race. 32 laps in all.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
So you did 2 stops? Tyres or fuel limited?

As we're starting with only half a tank it's probably going to be softs for the first stint, hards for a long middle stint and then either softs or mediums to finish I think.
One stop. Tyre limited.

To be honest I don't know how much of a full tank there is normally. Is it usually 100 litres in all other modes (I don't recall the max number for fuel from the selection screen either).

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Some thoughts about tonight's race...

First race after a break, we have damage on, a reverse grid, standing start and the first 3 corners of this track are low gear after a long straight! Could be interesting....

Everyone just be mindful when you're turning in, keep an eye on your mirrors and have radar on so you can take evasive action if need be! It probably won't be a divebomb, just someone with a later braking point desperately trying to avoid rear ending you off the track!

I've not had much time to practice or experiment with cars so I'm playing it safe and going with the Mercedes that I used for the last FIA season - not the quickest around the track but good on fuel and predicatable when the tyres start to wear.

Be careful on pit entry, it's not as tricky as Bathurst but I can still see someone skating across the grass if they go in hot on worn tyres :-) At least the exit is onto a straight so you haven't got to learn a new braking point for that.

Have fun! Can't wait to get the new season underway :-) Anyone think they'll be on early to run a practice lobby?

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Gutted that didn't work tonight, it does beg the question what do we do in the future if it happens. I don't think not seeing a few of the other cars is that big a deal (it happened to me in season 2) as you can juat race on but I don't know what to do about the guys who get stuck at the start. The first time we started I went through Oghuz damaging all my front end but it wasn't enough to break him free.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeh on the first start I got wrecked by 2 cars that didn't move off the start line (I don't know who) and from there on every attempted start got worse in terms of connection issues :(

Hopefully that was just a one off and not a sign of things to come...

KdotIX

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
As GHG said I hope it's not a sign of things to come. Was really looking forward to a good endurance race by the time quali finished. Was really interested to see how various strategies played out.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Last edited:

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both times I never saw the lights count down nor could I get away so was shoved and still had no throttle either.

Same. The lobby experience has never been this bad for me before.

Drivers & Manufacturers list
GHG - Hyundai
CLR_CMOS - Audi
DHC-Shannow - Mercedes
KdotIX - Porsche
BradleyLove - Dodge
Fifanutz - Mazda
RounD - Chevrolet
Gvon - Dodge
AbandonedTrolley - ?
Oghuz - ?
JamboGT - Honda
cooldawn - Aston Martin
@guiameijide - ?
ogo.on.the.go - ?

Is that everyone? I didn't notice what cars Oghuz and Trolley were driving and guia and ogo didn't make it to the race last night.

I was driving a Lexus. Well, trying to anyway :p

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Do we need to stick with the cars we chose last night, or can we take advantage of this extra week to test other cars?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No you must keep the cars you selected last night and nobody is allowed to go faster.

I want to keep my pole position :(

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For next Sunday we will try one start as normal (manual grid starts). If there are any issues then we will move to a formation lap format with a normal grid start to ensure everyone gets off the line ok.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
I was Renault

Renault RS01

Drivers & Manufacturers list
GHG - Hyundai
CLR_CMOS - Audi
DHC-Shannow - Mercedes
KdotIX - Porsche
BradleyLove - Dodge
Fifanutz - Mazda
RounD - Chevrolet
Gvon - Dodge
AbandonedTrolley - Renault
Oghuz - Lexus
JamboGT - Honda
cooldawn - Aston Martin
@guiameijide - ?
ogo.on.the.go - ?

Quite impressive that there's only 1 duplicate in all the teams selected so far (and Bradley sounds like he's going to check out other options now too).

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
So, should having ABS set to "weak" rather than "default" give me shorter stopping distances? I've noticed I tend to have to start my braking a lot earlier than others.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
So, should having ABS set to "weak" rather than "default" give me shorter stopping distances? I've noticed I tend to have to start my braking a lot earlier than others.
I have mine set to default, I think it's just a case of keeping it straight under braking and lifting off gently (the Merc steps out at the rear if you come off the brake too quickly) - dunno if any of the other guys have anything different to add, I'm more focused on exit speed than braking at the last millisecond.

In one of the FIA races around Maggiore I had a battle most of the race with a guy who'd always catch me in the braking zone and I'd always pull away on the corner exit, yet our laps times were very similar - just different driving styles I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some cars are better under braking than others. For example the Ford GT isn't great on the brakes but it makes up for it in other areas.

Other than that, similar to what DHC said, brake in a straight line and then trail braking while looking to hit the apex can greatly reduce the amount of distance you need to brake for a corner. You should look to decrease brake pressure as you increase your steering angle on turn in:

trail-braking-graph.jpg

Ideally there should be no gap between you getting off the brakes and straight back onto the throttle as you pass over the apex for most corners.

CLR_CMOS

Oct 28, 2017
Bratislava, Slovakia

I use "Weak" but I don't think it has any effect on the stopping distances. Honestly, I only use it because "Off" feels terrible in this game. Just follow the tips from DHC-Shannow and GHG and stop worrying about the setting ;-)

OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BradleyLove this is worth watching:

Important note (which is mentioned at the end of the video) is that you don't need to trail brake for every corner. The corners that you stand to gain the most on with trail braking are the ones that follow a large braking zone. Through trail braking you can brake anywhere from 10-25m later (on fresh tires) and it has the added benefit of getting the car turned into the corner a lot quicker.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there room for the eventual ringer in these races? I don't have alot of free time nowadays but i'd love to do some races with you guys.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Yeah, definitely DHC.

I still had half a tank of fuel and wasn't really pushing the track limits so could've probably gone a bit quicker but dunno if I'd have made up the gap to GHG and CLR. Also of note, CLR is on medium tyres whilst GHG and I are on softs. On this track there isn't a massive difference between softs and mediums as there aren't that many quick corners but there is a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there room for the eventual ringer in these races? I don't have alot of free time nowadays but i'd love to do some races with you guys.

Yep, get involved!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Fill out that form and I'll get you added to the PSN group so that you can see any updates.

The first race on the list in the OP in this coming Sunday, all the races have been pushed back a week.

Oct 26, 2017
Essex
Yep, get involved!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Fill out that form and I'll get you added to the PSN group so that you can see any updates.

The first race on the list in the OP in this coming Sunday, all the races have been pushed back a week.

Picking this router up tonight so hopefully will solve my issues, will also be running my PS4 Pro on ethernet anyway in future so fingers crossed all should be good. I mean clearly I have the speed coming in to the cabin as the network test showed. So hopefully if I can hold +250Mb download and a 20Mb upload we should be okay.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/netgear-nighthawk-ac1900-802-11ac-router

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Picking this router up tonight so hopefully will solve my issues, will also be running my PS4 Pro on ethernet anyway in future so fingers crossed all should be good. I mean clearly I have the speed coming in to the cabin as the network test showed. So hopefully if I can hold +250Mb download and a 20Mb upload we should be okay.

Bloody hell it should be good at that price!

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017

I have the Nighthawk R8000P which I was fortunate enough to get for £150 on an Amazon Lightning deal. It's an absolute beast.

So much so I've stopped using homeplugs with my PS4 and just use WiFi now—it's that good.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
So is everyone sticking with their cars from last Sunday? I did a race SIM last night, pitting after half a tank and it runs kljust like Cooldawn says, 32 laps. I did get caught in traffic as all the AI cars didn't pit when I did but I'd be surprised if this goes to 33 laps

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
So is everyone sticking with their cars from last Sunday? I did a race SIM last night, pitting after half a tank and it runs kljust like Cooldawn says, 32 laps. I did get caught in traffic as all the AI cars didn't pit when I did but I'd be surprised if this goes to 33 laps
To be honest what I managed to do during qualifying and the first lap or so of the race the car felt decidedly different to what I experienced when I did my test run.

How can I get the same racing conditions without resorting to an online lobby?