The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4, closely matched by Bloodborne. RE 4 will forever be etched in my hearts, it's the only game that I've played across three console generations and the game that made me excel in a job interview with one of the greatest video game studios in the world!

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bloodborne and not even close . RE4 isn't even the best RE , it's amazing but vastly overrated .

Also , these kind of topics need to stop both are very different games .

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Bloodborne ahead at 666, damn right its the better of the two games. (still love RE4 though :) )

Mar 29, 2018
I think RE4 is more accessible, better balanced, and has been FAR more influential, so it got my vote

Both are totally legendary god tier games though

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the love for RE4. A good game, but it's a bad RE that killed the franchise for what, a decade? It also has several parts that I can't help but groan at on repeat playthroughs. (like anything with Ashley)

RE4 is nowhere near GOAT status for me. BB is.

Edit: I just realized that BB isn't only a better action game than RE4, but it's actually a better horror game as well. Huh. RE4 has better inventory management and that's about it.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The performance issues alone should stop bloodborne from winning this. Yes, BB is absolutely amazing and let's not get it confused it's awesome. A great build on the souls formula.

Resident evil 4 literally changed the entire game industry and influenced games from Gears, Dead space to uncharted and more. It's been released on every platform possible for the last 15 years. it's ina completely different class to BB. It's literally one of gamings most tent pole games.

It's like putting BB up against half life etc.

Nothing you said talks about why RE4 is better though.. Is it mechanically better? Is its encounter variety better? Etc.. Influence really is irrelevant to the discussion otherwise we will prob stop at pong being the greatest game in the world.

I don't get the love for RE4. A good game, but it's a bad RE that killed the franchise for what, a decade? It also has several parts that I can't help but groan at on repeat playthroughs. (like anything with Ashley)

Edit: I just realized that BB isn't only a better action game than RE4, but it's actually a better horror game as well. Huh. RE4 has better inventory management and that's about it.

Yeah it is a phenomenal horror game too. That upper cathedral section Mmmm...

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Bloodborne. Infinitely replayable while maintaining a decent level of challenge.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Close...but RE4. That game had a traceable impact on the medium (Dead Space, Gears of War, etc). Of course Bloodborne is also damn good and part of how we got DOOM (2016):

And maybe as the years go on by we'll learn about other games Bloodborne affected. But until then, that's what gives RE4 the edge IMO.

Wow did not know Doom of all games was influenced by Bloodborne. I can vaguely see the similarities as he describes it though..

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne: the satisfaction you feel after defeating a boss and the theme (cosmic horror) are more appealing to me.
I actually have not beaten RE4 yet (played like half of it two times), because of several aspects that irk me (and that i think are far better designed in RE5 and REmake 2, which i loved). I will give it another opportunity in the future.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Two legendary games. Bloodborne is my choice always but RE4 is one of the most important games of all time. I don't feel the need to pit them against each other, especially since they are not contemporaneous to each other.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
If talking about how impactful the games were at time of release, I would say Resident Evil 4.

If looking back at both with a current-day perspective, then I would say Bloodborne.

In truth, both games are very special and rank highly in my "top" list - they are both true classics.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I've never seen a game accomplish anything close to what RE4 does.

My wife doesn't play games, but I convinced her to play RE4, and it re-cemented my stance that RE4 is a masterpiece in game design. Bloodborne is awesome, and there's really nothing quite like it (aside from Dark Souls), but RE4 might be as perfect as a game can get.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is possibly the best game ever made. And there's a 60 FPS version. Blood borne is a technical Jank fest that had the audacity to lock half of its best boss fights in the awful Chalice dungeon

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better combat: Bloodborne
Better level design: Bloodborne
Better Horror: Bloodborne
Better Music: Bloodborne
Better Atmosphere and Art Direction: Bloodborne

Clear winner

MrTommo2304

Apr 4, 2019
Definitely Bloodborne for me, no question about it. In terms of gameplay they're wildly different, so their similarities lie mostly in environments and atmosphere and Bloodborne crushes pretty much every game in that regard sooo...

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love both about as much but I would choose RE4 over BB in that situation just for a single reason:

RE4 is the more fun game to play at any particular moment. BB requires me to be at a more specific mood to pick up and play.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Bloodborne is incredibly overrated, so RE4 easily.

I'd say exactly the same about RE4.

In case you missed it, you can also use the touchpad for secondary inventory in BB. It's very useful for stuff like sedatives and antidote.

EDIT: Regarding influence on a personal level, Bloodborne turned me to games like Dark Souls and Let It Die, which I never would have played otherwise. Whereas RE4 turned me away from the series I used to love for years.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't got around to playing Bloodborne yet but I won't be surprised if it beats 4 for me, I only rank it somewhere in the middle of the RE series

It's probably been long enough since I played Dark Souls 3 to finally give it a try actually

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne will still be talked about in ten years. It's one of the greats.
bloodborne will be talked about in 10 years like "yeah that game was neat and all but i wish they ported it elsewhere i can only play it on my crummy dusty ps4"

meanwhile re4 will be getting ported to the ps6, it'll never go away

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
bloodborne will be talked about in 10 years like "yeah that game was neat and all but i wish they ported it elsewhere i can only play it on my crummy dusty ps4"

PS5 is backwards compatible so you will be able to play it there. Hopefully it has performance boost modes.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

PS5 is confirmed to have backwards compatibility with PS4 games, although it's likely there won't be any performance improvements for BB at this point. If they continue using the same architecture, it's reasonable to assume BB and other PS4 games will be playable on PS6 as well. Not to mention, that BB is also playable on PC via PS Now.

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodboure didn't click with me as I died so many times on the first level that it was not fun. I love the art and the theme and everything about its presentation.

Resident Evil 4 is on a very short list of the greatest games of all time. It's not my GOAT but I will never argue with a person who chooses it as theirs.

Resident Evil 4
(Put a lot of respect on Bloodboure's name)