• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The better game

• Resident Evil 4

Votes: 1,155 47.6%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,274 52.4%

• Total voters

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Bloodborne for me. I like RE4 but I've always found it over-appreciated. I really only like the first 2 areas in the game and then it nose-dives pretty badly.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 for me. The level design in BB is great but RE4 is masterclass with perfect pacing (imo obviously). There's also some stuff in BB I think that could be improved (chalice, pvp/online, etc) while there's not a lot of stuff in RE4 that needs to be adjusted. Plus I really just enjoy the goofiness in RE4.

JYOUNG188

Nov 3, 2017
RE4 is my favorite game ever. Can't wait to buy it again for like the 9th or 10th time on the Switch.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah yeah, and Gun Fight, Rolling Thunder, and Time Crisis all came before Kill.Switch. What matters is what popularizes it.
Sure, but it certainly wasn't RE4 because it didn't have anything like that. Gears of War took it from Kill Switch.
RE4's aiming mechanics are more similar to GoldenEye's precise aiming than any kind of cover system.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
It's weird to compare them, being different genres and all, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd pick Bloodborne. RE4 for me, was a bit of a disappointment. A good game in it's own rights no doubt, but just not what I wanted from RE.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
RE 4 by far!
I loved my way through Bloodborne, but for some reason I never had the urge to replay it after killing the final boss, whereass I played through RE 4 probably around 200 times (no exaggeration!) on various plattforms.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Damn this is tough but I would say RE4 edges it out a little more for me because it was more memorable playing on the GCN with my mate who came over to stay at my place for a couple of weeks, he would play his save game while I was at work then I would play my save game while he was crashed out on the floor lol. I also think RE4 had a little more charm with it's characters and banter and you really grow to care for Leon whereas in Bloodborne your playable character is like the least important in the whole game. RE4 also did a lot with enemy AI and different ways to combat them (shooting in legs, hands etc) which was a bit of a revelation when it came out.

JigsawPSN

Banned
Apr 11, 2019
resi 4 has been topped by re2make, bloodborne has not been topped topped by sekiro

so bloodborne, gotg

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
You can't make a suplex in Bloodborne
FamiliarMiserableBoutu-size_restricted.gif

You can't fight Bosses this Badass on RE4 🤷🏻‍♂️

tumblr_p2gwzkz17k1tfhi7qo2_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_p2gwzkz17k1tfhi7qo4_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_p2gwzkz17k1tfhi7qo3_r1_540.gifv

tumblr_p2gwzkz17k1tfhi7qo1_r1_540.gifv

MiguelBañón

Oct 30, 2017
Spain
This comparision is a bit weird, tbh. But Bloodborne would be the best game of the generation if it wasn't because The Witcher 3 is a thing that exists, so yeah, you can guess.

In addition, RE4 was excellent, but it set the path up for the franchise to take the action-driven direction that ended up almost killing it, so for me it always will be a somewhat cursed game. God bless RE7 and RE2 Remake.

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it certainly wasn't RE4 because it didn't have anything like that. Gears of War took it from Kill Switch.
RE4's aiming mechanics are more similar to GoldenEye's precise aiming than any kind of cover system.
I never said RE4 had cover shooting, I said it was the popular genesis of "stop and pop" which eventually evolved into what we'd now call a cover shooter - alongside other, much less well known games.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that bothers me about RE4 is it lead to a generation of QTE's in video games. I could have done without that entire innovation.

Aside from that it's a flawless video game and I was NOT a RE fan prior to playing it. Absolutely blew my mind from start to finish.

FromSoft has yet to top the original Dark Souls for me. I'd probably say Dark Souls is on par with RE4. Bloodbourne... whatever.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actual serious answer: I love Bloodborne. I love RE 4. However, in terms of pacing, gameplay variety, upgrading equipment, location variety, etc. RE 4 comes out on time. Hell, even in terms of influence on the industry over the years, RE 4 comes out on top. I love Bloodborne, but I gotta give this to RE 4.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy. I've never played RE4 (I don't play horror in general; RE2 probably gave me a trauma), so it automatically goes to Bloodborne.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just shoot me, I want to say RE4 because it's probably among the best games ever created, but having completed Bloodborne recently, it's up there with games that linger.

Gonna vote RE4, it's pretty much what popularized the third person behind the back camera in shooters. As much as I have fallen in love with Bloodborne, part of it's appeal is how surreal the whole experience is.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing RE4 now and it's absurd just how great it plays to this day. Truly a masterpiece in game design and an achievement that will be remembered for a long time.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Resident Evil 4, but it basically comes down to RE4 being my all time favorite game and Bloodborne simply being further down in the Top 10. RE4 trumps all with its utterly ridiculous variety of encounters, environments, set pieces, and weapons, and it's all rounded out by incredibly well tuned combat sequences and perfect, perfect pacing. The replay value is also just on another level.

Bloodborne is one of my favorite horror games, and succeeds in ways that other games can't even aspire but... it doesn't top RE4. Nothing does.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
RE4, great pacing, fighting groups of enemies is fun, barely any encounter is the same and I honestly love the way it feels and controls. I'm gonna say the only thing I'd change about the controls in a modern port, the only thing that feels "dated" to me, is having to hold down a button to run all the time, but that's a small issue.

Bloodborne is great too, good level and art design and the bosses are great...however, I'm gonna say, encounters with regular enemies inbetween bosses are, for a large part of the game, fairly trivial and they get kinda tiring fast. And fighting regular enemies is what you do for most of the game.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Not even a difficult choice RE4 is one of the best games of all time and Bloodborne is mediocre.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Easy. I've never played RE4 (I don't play horror in general; RE2 probably gave me a trauma), so it automatically goes to Bloodborne.

RE4 is more of an action thriller with creepy monsters than a horror game — RE2 is much much scarier in comparison. I don't really play horror games either but RE4 is okay for me. You should give it a try.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Never played neither one, but I'd say Resident Evil 4 for more story content and a more cinematic experience.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
resi 4 has been topped by re2make, bloodborne has not been topped topped by sekiro

so bloodborne, gotg

Disagree that RE2R is better, but they are also two very different games. I don't think they're all that comparable. The inconsistent damage in RE2R alone places it in a different design philosophy.