• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i'm getting buried but i think Halo is gonna be like star wars....literally impossible to please anyone between the fans that wants Halo to 'go back to its roots' and the ones that wanted halo to 'break new grounds'.

It'll be like The Rise of Skywalker....

RIP my inbox.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Oh I see. I hope it is a proper open world, or at least has huge hub world areas like Destiny, with locations, towns, cities etc to visit and explore, NPCs to interact with etc and so on. It is rumoured to be a reboot of sorts after all.
i just want it like mass effect xD

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Well we did see a polished in game cinematic 18 months before release.

Look the studio has like 500 people. There is gunna be turnover. But the heads are still there. Frank o Connor, Bonnie Ross and Chris lee(game director for almost 4 years). They have added tons of talent over the last couple years from all over the industry. Their biggest departures have been the lead writer from 5, replaced by the lead writer from the Batman Arkham games. And Tim Longo creative director of 5 who was responsible for the campaign having the terrible 4 man squads among other things.

Skybox labs also partnered with 343 like a year+ ago to help with the development. That mean there are 600+ people on it.
Those are all good points.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I have little faith on the campaign side of things since 4 and 5 are both lackluster there but I would love to be proven wrong and get levels like AotCR and Silent Cartographer again.

What I'd like to see:
  • Halo 5 pistol return with less magnetism or a projectile BR that's actually good
  • Lose sprint and all spartan abilities but keep thruster
  • Have a full package at launch, Arena, BTB, Forge, theater, etc.
  • Give us proper mod tools where the community can make developer tier maps, simplify Forge so it's an editor rather than the actual map maker.
  • Sidewinder remake and good Mark V armor on day 1.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Halo 4 had a good campaign. Halo 5 had really good multiplayer. They both reviewed well. They arnt bad devs. Both games where hurried. They where their 1st and 2nd games the studio ever made.
I wish more people would keep that in mind.

The halo series is a really unique one these days because it gets judged on both single and multiplayer modes. How many other series do that? I'm not going to pretend the story in Halo 5 doens't feel like a spinoff instead of a sequel. 343 has made mistakes.

You know who else made mistakes with every Halo game? Bungie.

Halo ce literally cut pasted the second half of the game, and included the worst level in the series. The pistol was overpowered due to a programming error, and 2 guns of the only 8 that were present in the game were functionally useless in multiplayer. I know people who would rather melee with an empty pistol than switch to the ar or needler.

Halo 2 was blasted on release for the cut features (it was supposed to have sprint, grenade cooking and melee combos. There was a boss fight cut so late in development that it is referenced in the manual of the limited edition but not playable on disc), the missing final level, the arbiter sections and the changes to gameplay. Randall glass of the warthog jump fame wrote an essay about how Bungie ruined halo 2. Luke Smith wrote an article about how halo 2's multiplayer was busted.

Halo 3 had the most feature rich release of any shooter to date. but was lambasted for not being as pretty as gears or COD4. People said it played slow, looked no better than halo 2, brutes weren't as fun as elites and the equipment function didn't add much.

ODST is considered a darling of the franchise but people again bitched about the graphics, complained about it being a full priced expansion, about still fighting brutes, about the lack of matchmaking for firefight.

Reach got hit for weapon bloom. For armour abilities. For the jetpack. For armour lock. For not being call of duty enough. Gametrialers literally complained that it took too long to kill other players.

And when they left Halo, they made Destiny, which created an entire genre of games where launching in a barely complete state is like a rule or something.

Halo 4 had the unfortunate timing to be developed while people were screaming that halo needed to be more like call of duty, and to release right AFTER people got tired of it. The multiplayer was far from bad. Weapon unlocks in progression is heresy in halo (and I agree. It is never NOT a shitty design choice) but it wasn't a total deal breaker, and infinity slayer was an awesome mode. It still manages the best story of the games, and is still one of the prettiest games ever made

And special attention needs to be paid for halo 4's development. 343 wanted it to be the Xbox one launch title, which would have gven them an extra year to work on it, given the xbox one a killer app at launch. 343 were so constrained by the 360 hardware at that point that they were limited in the number of objects the system could hold in memory. So certain large bits of geometry (like the Mammoth vehicle) were literally kitbashed from upsized warthog and battle rifle parts with their size value shifted, because the 360 literally could not hold one more unique asset in memory at the time. They were denied their request....by Don Mattrick, who valued the extra sales they would get by releasing it on 360. They still got it made on time, made one of the best looking games of the generation, tried new things like spartan ops.

With Halo 5 they were working with a then 15 year old engine and desperately wanted the time to make a new one from scratch. They didn not. And of course that was the game that launched during the middle of resolution gate so they NEEDED to find a way to get an OK xbox one to run a game at 1080p/60. It should be noted that Naughty Dog, when working on uncharted 4, on more powerful hardware, could not manage 1080/60. And people bitched because of the lack of couch co op which only a handful of games released this generation even have. It still managed the best multiplayer in the series since the second one (which if you recall, was not nearly as popular as people remember) and to be like the only game to include loot boxes in a non exploitive way. Oh and free map packs and expansions for over a year at a time when nobody was doing that.

343 are some technical fucking wizards. They have been given one of the hardest game series to develop for, one with a very divided fanbase and incredibly high standards that most other games don't have to meet (look at red dead and last of us deciding to forgo multiplayer with zero consequence. Hell, RDR2 online launched as a broken mess and the game still swept the GOTY awards. halo could never get away with that even if both multiplayer and single player were stellar.) and both times have had to do so while dealing with crazy technical restrictions.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The fact that we've known about this game for a year and a half, it's coming out in less than 12 months, and we still have no idea what the enemy force is going to be has me so worried. It just feels like they're afraid to show us at this point; like they've got this great pristine image of what the game could be based on the tiny amount we've seen but if they show us even a little bit more the illusion collapses and we realize it's another 343 Halo like the last two in all the ways everyone wants it not to be.

I was hyped but that hype died down a lot. The lack of anything coming out is making this pretty boring to speculate about and I honestly thought the beta would've been last month like last time so they had plenty of time to work on feedback.

It's a next gen launch game. Why would you think they'd show it or beta it on current gen hardware? That would be bad for marketing.

makes more sense to show it running on a Series X as part of their next gen blowout, then release the current gen betas.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm certain the quality is there, I just hope the amount of development time equals content.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I foresee Spartan Ops returning in some enhanced fashion. I would welcome having more PvE stuff to do as my Spartan than just Warzone. Pretty sure we'll see Sentinel enemies or maybe even allies depending on who shows up. Probably Guilty Spark.

Oct 25, 2017

The halo series is a really unique one these days because it gets judged on both single and multiplayer modes. How many other series do that? I'm not going to pretend the story in Halo 5 doens't feel like a spinoff instead of a sequel. 343 has made mistakes.

Halo ce literally cut pasted the second half of the game, and included the worst level in the series. The pistol was overpowered due to a programming error, and 2 guns of the only 8 that were present in the game were functionally useless in multiplayer. I know people who would rather melee with an empty pistol than switch to the ar or needler.

Halo 2 was blasted on release for the cut features (it was supposed to have sprint, grenade cooking and melee combos. There was a boss fight cut so late in development that it is referenced in the manual of the limited edition but not playable on disc), the missing final level, the arbiter sections and the changes to gameplay. Randall glass of the warthog jump fame wrote an essay about how Bungie ruined halo 2. Luke Smith wrote an article about how halo 2's multiplayer was busted.

Halo 3 had the most feature rich release of any shooter to date. but was lambasted for not being as pretty as gears or COD4. People said it played slow, looked no better than halo 2, brutes weren't as fun as elites and the equipment function didn't add much.

ODST is considered a darling of the franchise but people again bitched about the graphics, complained about it being a full priced expansion, about still fighting brutes, about the lack of matchmaking for firefight.

Reach got hit for weapon bloom. For armour abilities. For the jetpack. For armour lock. For not being call of duty enough. Gametrialers literally complained that it took too long to kill other players.

And when they left Halo, they made Destiny, which created an entire genre of games where launching in a barely complete state is like a rule or something.

Halo 4 had the unfortunate timing to be developed while people were screaming that halo needed to be more like call of duty, and to release right AFTER people got tired of it. The multiplayer was far from bad. Weapon unlocks in progression is heresy in halo (and I agree. It is never NOT a shitty design choice) but it wasn't a total deal breaker, and infinity slayer was an awesome mode. It still manages the best story of the games, and is still one of the prettiest games ever made

And special attention needs to be paid for halo 4's development. 343 wanted it to be the Xbox one launch title, which would have gven them an extra year to work on it, given the xbox one a killer app at launch. 343 were so constrained by the 360 hardware at that point that they were limited in the number of objects the system could hold in memory. So certain large bits of geometry (like the Mammoth vehicle) were literally kitbashed from upsized warthog and battle rifle parts with their size value shifted, because the 360 literally could not hold one more unique asset in memory at the time. They were denied their request....by Don Mattrick, who valued the extra sales they would get by releasing it on 360. They still got it made on time, made one of the best looking games of the generation, tried new things like spartan ops.

With Halo 5 they were working with a then 15 year old engine and desperately wanted the time to make a new one from scratch. They didn not. And of course that was the game that launched during the middle of resolution gate so they NEEDED to find a way to get an OK xbox one to run a game at 1080p/60. It should be noted that Naughty Dog, when working on uncharted 4, on more powerful hardware, could not manage 1080/60. And people bitched because of the lack of couch co op which only a handful of games released this generation even have. It still managed the best multiplayer in the series since the second one (which if you recall, was not nearly as popular as people remember) and to be like the only game to include loot boxes in a non exploitive way. Oh and free map packs and expansions for over a year at a time when nobody was doing that.

343 are some technical fucking wizards. They have been given one of the hardest game series to develop for, one with a very divided fanbase and incredibly high standards that most other games don't have to meet (look at red dead and last of us deciding to forgo multiplayer with zero consequence. Hell, RDR2 online launched as a broken mess and the game still swept the GOTY awards. halo could never get away with that even if both multiplayer and single player were stellar.) and both times have had to do so while dealing with crazy technical restrictions.

Phenomenal post - bookmarked!

I didnt know that about 343 wanting to make 4 an XBone launch title, that's very interesting.

Ultimately I'm glad things went they did after all the fun I've had with Halo 5.

Looking forward to seeing if they can combine their respective successes into one game in Infinite. ;)

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

the prophet of truth

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
put a ton of time into h5. but all I really want is set wep spawns. no Sprint. no clamber. no Spartan skills. doubt it'll happen but it's a dream thread right?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Based on how 343 appear to be using older versions of the halo story for inspiration (CE's original plot was going to involve cortana going rampant, ansconding with halo and trying to conquer the galaxy) I would guess that:

The enemy will be called the covenant. It will just be Cortana's covenant. The prometheans will be folded into the existing sandbox rather than being an alternative. So instead of crawlers, watchers, soldiers and knights replacing covenant enemies, you will see them back up the existing enemies. Imagine jackal phalanxes with watchers to dispose of grenades. Grunt swarms using crawlers like attack dogs. Elites and Soldiers double teaming you. A fight with two hunters and two knights. That way the new additions feel additive.

Halsey will die during the game. They will determine that they can't match Cortana without an AI of equal capabilities, and they have no cloning facilities nearby. So she will agree to be the basis for a new AI to match cortana. Said AI will effectively be a new cortana and be voiced by jen taylor so as not to alienate the fans. It will be a bittersweet moment because we sortof get cortana back...but it isn't OUR cortana. Also she will be named Joyeuse (a reference to Bungie's cortana letters) and Cortana will be PISSED that MC replaced her. the conflict between the two AI will parallel the fight between Mendicant Bias and Offensive Bias in the lore.

GAMEPLAY:

Not open world, but the worlds will be big. Think Dragon age inquisition or Crysis. Mission structure will be similar to the second mission of Halo CE where you can go after the drop pods in any order. The game will give you an objective [go here, shoot this, defend that, steal this] but will leave the specifics up to you.

We see from the boxart that Chief is using the MA37...which is an obsolete covenant war era gun. I think that due to how OP the new Covenant is, the unsc will be forced to use whatever tech they can scavenge. This will give 343 an excuse to mix the new designes people like, like the new BR with classic designs that are outdated in universe like the SPNKR. I also think all the vehicle and gun variants form warzone will appear in game. This is how they will handle exploration and secondary objectives. The base game can be played like a typical Halo game, but if you go off the rails and explore, or do side missions, you can find old caches of covenant, forerunner and UNSC tech which will allow you to unlock more advanced guns. So you start with an outdated rifle, and as you get through the game you can upgrade it with hardlight or shredder rounds, and finally upgrade it to an MA5D. You could even have the legendary or mythic versions of weapons hidden behind tough optional encounters.

Also: they will finally give us a mission where we control a Scarab. You will use it to fight a guardian and it will run like absolute shit on the OG xbox one.

And before you people say i am being crazy I will have you know I predicted Phil spencer getting promoted to head of xbox before the xbox one was even unveiled, and predicted the next xbox would be named Xbox (admittedly it was one of three guesses) and I predicted cross gen compatibility. I've got some weird shining thing going on with xbox.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.
Basically this, but I would add two more things:

1) The Banished. They for sure will NOT join the "new Covenant" of Cortana, considering how Atriox dished the former Covenant too. They are also super strong and regrouping in mass at the smaller Ark at the end of Halo Wars 2, and considering there won't be any HW3 in the future (due to the small sales of the first two), they could be back as third faction against everyone in Halo Infinite, adding even more chaos or they could even stretch a paper thin and super temporary alliance with the humans just for destroying Cortana;

2) THE FLOOD: Oh boy, they will be back 100%. Spores escaped inner Arcada and Halo Wars battles and could still be on the Spirit of Fire (which can also be reunited to everybody in Halo Infinite), plus Installation 07 where Halo Infinite will be played is the most flood-crippled and contained in all forerunner lore.

Also do not forget the pug:

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how it will run on a 2060 or a 2070 (1440p) cause I'm planning to build a PC just for this.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343i should give this one level of difficulty that's really fucking hard. Then Era will love it.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

The Bungie Halo games were not met with the same backlash as the 343i games at launch. They had issues, Halo 2 especially was rushed, but they were mostly Universally lauded at the time. 4 and 5 have been mixed reactions at best. I guess Reach was pretty mixed in multi.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Campaign wise I'd like to see a more open-ish structure. It doesn't need to be pure open world, but a hub-world design like Mass Effect/Outer Worlds/Fable/etc would be great.

I mean after all, you're on a Halo. It's a ring world with various biomes. You should be able to explore the various biomes, with missions taking place in them. Arctic zones, forest, swamps, etc.

As for abilities, I'd say for the campaign keep sprint + spartan abilities. As you progress through the game it would be cool to unlock new abilities or load outs, and offer more customization for battles. Clearing covenant strongholds/creating UNSC outpost could also lead to new abilities or new areas opening up. Just depends what 343 wants to do.

As for MP, I'd say for Arena follow the Mythic Playlist. Tight map design, no sprint, strong starting weapon. Have skill jumps be possible. They need to launch with atleast 8 maps in Arena imo. Content at launch was an issue with Halo 5. Bring back some favorites, create some new levels.

A proper BTB playlist needs to be at launch as well.

As for Warzone, it has potential but imo it wasn't that great in Halo 5. Maybe combine Warzone and Invasion? Player controlled Spartans and ODST AI vs Player controlled Elites & Covenant AI?

I'll repeat it again as well. Content at launch is important. No one wants to play the same maps over and over or wait for new content. Work with Certain Affinity and Splash Damage and hopefully have a healthy number of maps and gameplay modes at launch.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Basically this, but I would add two more things:

1) The Banished. They for sure will NOT join the "new Covenant" of Cortana, considering how Atriox dished the former Covenant too. They are also super strong and regrouping in mass at the smaller Ark at the end of Halo Wars 2, and considering there won't be any HW3 in the future (due to the small sales of the first two), they could be back as third faction against everyone in Halo Infinite, adding even more chaos or they could even stretch a paper thin and super temporary alliance with the humans just for destroying Cortana;

2) THE FLOOD: Oh boy, they will be back 100%. Spores escaped inner Arcada and Halo Wars battles and could still be on the Spirit of Fire (which can also be reunited to everybody in Halo Infinite), plus Installation 07 where Halo Infinite will be played is the most flood-crippled and contained in all forerunner lore.

Also do not forget the pug:

I am not 100% sure the flood will be back. I know there have been speculations based on the setting appearing to be zeta halo, but I feel like 343 is going to focus on a greatest hits version of Halo CE and avoid the flood, since they were always controversial. I think we will get a night time infiltration mission, an escape the crashing spacecraft mission. A big vehicle playground mission, a giant open grassland mission. A riff on assault on the control room. Obviously a warthog run. If they make most of those the size of gears 5's skiff sections, they may not need much more.

(one of my fears is that they will disregard most of the ancillary cast alltogether, instead of improving them. Team osiris does not need to be thrown away. Well, maybe tanaka. She boring. But Vale and Buck were interesting and Locke is something of a blank slate. I do like the idea of some spartans who are not the invincible wargods the S2's are.)

That said, I could see the flood being really cool. Halo 3's version of them worked well for the most part with the more evolved forms. If their combat was made less zerg rushy they could be fun to fight. It also would be pretty awesome if after the flood escape, you go back to earlier environments, but now all the wildlife has been assimilated and is hostile and the landscape is covered with flood growths.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bit more for what we know

Game Features
  • Splitscreen: Splitscreen is up and running internally
  • LAN: Halo Infinite will support LAN
  • Back in Black: Black Undersuits will be in the game
  • Player Customization: If you liked the level of armor customization options in Halo: Reach, you will be pleased
  • SR 152: Players who hit SR 152 in Halo 5: Guardians will receive a token of appreciation in Halo Infinite
  • Forge: Our famous editing tool will be in Halo Infinite and will have Undo & Redo buttons, which is a first for Forge.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

Game Features
  • Player Customization: If you liked the level of armor customization options in Halo: Reach, you will be pleased
  • SR 152: Players who hit SR 152 in Halo 5: Guardians will receive a token of appreciation in Halo Infinite
  • Forge: Our famous editing tool will be in Halo Infinite and will have Undo & Redo buttons, which is a first for Forge.
I want 20 layers of customization.

Wrist
Arms
Shoulders
Chest
Feet
Legs
Knees
Helmets
Helmet Accessories
Visor
Visor Imprint (like a skull)
Helmet Imprints
Skins for individual pieces of armor
Armor effect (like Halo Reach)
Under suit patterns
Helmet/no helmet toggle
Feet bottoms (for when you're above someone)
Back Equipment (Katana)
Write messages on your armor (with text)
And most importantly fur

Don't let me down 343.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Hopefully inevitable reunion with Cortana wiil be more like this
And less like this
maxresdefault.jpg

The whole "Chief is psychology unstable" idea is so dumb.

This. I still get chills from that scene in H3. Less is more in this case and judging by Infinite's supposed opening cinematic they are going back to that.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm getting buried but i think Halo is gonna be like star wars....literally impossible to please anyone between the fans that wants Halo to 'go back to its roots' and the ones that wanted halo to 'break new grounds'.

RIP my inbox.

No, I 100% agree. I don't envy 343i in the slightest because of the divided fan base.

It'll be like Labour and Brexit issue.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
No, I 100% agree. I don't envy 343i in the slightest because of the divided fan base.

It'll be like Labour and Brexit issue.
I hope people can just be excited for a new Halo and not just try to force their expectations on the game. Asking people to be open minded is probably too much though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

RIP my inbox.
I mean thats the Halo fanbase indeed. I mean look at the reaction of the Halo Tv show. Its divided like everything else in the Halo fanbase.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
My hype levels for this game shot through the roof after getting back in MCC recently , fuck it's so good in 4K. Currently co-oping the campaigns with the other half, it's pretty special being able to take her on the Halo journey for the first time.

The confirmed list of features for Infinite reads like a dream, the one missing for me is Theatre mode for Campaign. Hopefully photo mores being such a success for some game's bumps it up the priority list.

I can see Chief being paired with a new AI but at the same time , we have the new monitor from 5 and Brohammer from the intro cutscene , who you can bet you'll be in comms with. Is there room for all 3 ? And if it comes down to a new cloned Cortana versus the original Cortana , who are we cheering for ? Wouldn't we want to save her? Or did the real Cortana die in 4 ?

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I kind of hope that its one large, open, and dynamic halo ring that you are free to explore, not only its land masses, but the rivers, oceans, and skies as well. I hope the wild life is reactive and can aide you in combat scenarios if used effectively. Maybe you can spook a heard of those antelope looking things into stampeding through a covenant base. I hope that the flood return, and the slip space engine makes them creepier and more body horror-or than ever.

God no, I hope the Flood never comes back. That's the worst part of literally every Halo game I've player, be it mainline, Wars, or Fireteam Raven.

I can't remember if they show up in Spartan Assault.

I'm fine with the game sticking to scifi like the previous two. I loved the scale of the structures and ships, even if it disregards the horror part.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Worst part as in scary?

Cause like the flood are amazing.
No, just worse, as in, it was irritating.

I really loved the rest of the game eve though I had many criticism of the first one, but the Flood turned the levelsinto a crawl, and there is so much that can be done with a whole full universe rather than bringing back the zerg lite.

The levels with the Flood in Wars was such an irritating sludge as well.

I'm just being facetious regarding Fireteam Raven though.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The Bungie Halo games were not met with the same backlash as the 343i games at launch. They had issues, Halo 2 especially was rushed, but they were mostly Universally lauded at the time. 4 and 5 have been mixed reactions at best. I guess Reach was pretty mixed in multi.

Probably because they were a new team and people treat changes of the guard with skepticism.

The exact same Halo 4 would probably have been less harshly criticized if Bungie had made it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Would you guys be upset if Sabaton had a track in the game?

"They're the 189
In the service of heaven
They're protecting the holy line"

Spartans are literally gods.

Last edited:

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I have little faith on the campaign side of things since 4 and 5 are both lackluster there but I would love to be proven wrong and get levels like AotCR and Silent Cartographer again.

I must be the only person on earth who liked the campaign for 5.

4 really was a mess though IMO.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Game Features

Thanks I'll add it to the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.