• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Temperatures could hit 40C from Spain to Switzerland, with authorities urging children and older people to stay indoors

Authorities have urged children and older people to stay indoors and issued severe warnings against dehydration and heatstroke as an unprecedented week-long heatwave begins its advance across continental Europe.

Meteorologists said temperatures would reach or even exceed 40C from Spain to Switzerland as hot air was sucked up from the Sahara by the combination of a storm stalling over the Atlantic and high pressure over central Europe.

High humidity meant it would feel like 47C, experts warned. "El infierno [hell] is coming," tweeted the TV meteorologist Silvia Laplana in Spain, where the AEMET weather service forecast temperatures of 42C by Thursday in the Ebro, Tagus, Guadiana and Guadalquivir valleys and warned of an "extreme risk" of forest fires.

In France, officials in Paris set up "cool rooms" in municipal buildings, opened pools for late-night swimming and installed extra drinking fountains as temperatures in the capital reached 34C on Monday and were forecast to climb further later in the week.

In Italy, "the most intense heatwave in a decade" was under way, with hospitals preparing to deal with a wave of heat-related illnesses and the health ministry suggesting army doctors may be needed to counter a shortage of medics.

Highs of 37C to 40C were forecast across the north and centre, including in Rome, Florence, Bologna, Milan and Turin, with several Italian cities expected to set new records for the highest ever June temperatures.

Scientists have said last year's heatwave, which led to increased mortality rates, a dramatic decline in crop yields, the shutdown of nuclear power plants and wildfires inside the Arctic Circle, was linked to the climate emergency.

Stay frosty if possible, EuroERA

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
That's 104 degrees Fahrenheit thank you very much.

giphy.gif

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Having been born and raised in Europe... ya'll are fucked. A lot don't have or need central AC.

Germany got hot (mid 90s F) and England got hot ONCE when I was there (about 92F).

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm not very good at ball parking Celsius to Fahrenheit, but when I looked up that 47C is 116F I almost fell out of my chair.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I posted in the other thread earlier today that we've been having unseasonably cool weather here in Seville and was hoping we'd avoid it. Nice to see my area get name dropped for crazy incoming temperatures. fml

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perfect. Because I'm in Italy for a wedding for the next 10 days. I guess I'll just dream of my a/c house back in NY.

/s

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Nothing new for us over here, not gonna lie. But yeah, everyone else in Europe should start taking precautions, this is gonna be a long(and hot)summer.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Finally. Last 2 months in the UK have been shite. This time last year I'd already had like 4 BBQs. Only had my first one on Saturday.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Normally I roll my eyes at Europeans complaining about the heat... Not this time. that's fucking hot. Keep your activity to a minimum, and try to stay cool.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's horrible. We need more AC here in Switzerland.

Ugh... time to play some DOOM - this week we dine in hell.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Reading 'Europe' at the end of the thread title.

XFiJaQol.jpg

Safe cool out there, Europe-Era. Please check up on your pets and neighbors.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On Thursday I'll be on a two and a half hour train ride.
Pray for me.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Here in saudi arabia just reached 49°C couple days ago (120.2°F)
welcome to real hell

"High humidity meant it would feel like 47C"
if High humidity can make it feel worse, then it will be like 55°C here (131°F)

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But remember folks global warming is "a Chinese hoax" according to fuckboi Trump.

Skip gym mate, your health is more important.
This doesn't prove Global Warming, the slight yearly average temperature increase does, just like the very cool summer so far in the US doesn't disprove it either.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Is AC not common in Europe? I always thought it was weird how many hotels I stayed at in Switzerland didn't have AC.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This doesn't prove Global Warming, the slight yearly average temperature increase does, just like the very cool summer so far in the US doesn't disprove it either.
Climate change also leads to more extreme events (be it extreme heat or cold, storms, what have you), and this could very well be considered that.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I put AC a few years back despite having spent most of my life barely using any (in Portugal, not a cold place), anyone that can afford to install AC in their homes and hasn't started to do so is living in serious denial, this is the new normal and it is only getting worse.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Paris area is so hot already and it's getting worse

I don't have AC at home so I may just go in a mall or a library for the hottest hours ...

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Good thing we left the European Union, glad we don't have to deal Europe's weather anymore.