• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure, if Sony does this, people will become rational again, remove their negative tweets, pitchforks, comments, and reviews.

I just don't for a second think people are taking this principled stand because of fans of the game being in a non-PSN country. I'm willing to bet no one even thought about that within the first hour.
Ok, well I did? So you lost your bet? I love Helldivers, I've had my PSN account since like the PS3, I've had it linked to my Steam since...The Last of Us or Sackboy, I don't remember? It doesn't affect me directly at all, and I don't view this as any kind of a betrayal by Arrowhead. I do view it as a consumer rights issue, and I have empathy for people who bought a product that was perfectly playable but that they can't play moving forward without circumventing TOS to do so. Cutting off basically a whole continent after letting them buy the game really sucks from a consumer standpoint.

Why is this post framed like something genuinely problematic and earth shaking has happened instead of simply not wanting to make a free account (that btw you were warned about repeatedly!)
Could you explain how my framing led to you thinking it was something earth shaking? It's people not being able to play a game they paid for unless they sign up for an account they're not allowed to in their country. It's about a video game, it's not genuinely problematic or earth shaking. Why would you think anyone thinks it's problematic or earth shaking? It's a business decision with consequences for some players of the game, and that's something that will be good to address.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't disagree, I'm just not sure what changes about Sony's ability to moderate when linking a PSN account as I assume they could already ban people from the game without involving Valve.
I'm just bullshitting off a previous video. I think this is about a few things:
  1. HD2 is insanely popular, Sony would like to capitalize on that via PSN numbers.
  2. Sony is looking for a better way to incorporate cross-play, friends list, joining games, etc.
  3. This is probably going to be an increased trend with PC games moving to Steam and they are testing the waters.
I'm honestly okay with all of this, it is such a nothing burger for individuals who have the ability to get a PSN account. The problem is for those who cannot do so without lying and breaking the TOS, this needs to be fixed. Looking at the reviews on Steam, it isn't about oh I cannot create a PSN account, its about the fact that this vocal group of PC children don't want to touch icky console shit. It's pathetic.
Ok, well I did? So you lost your bet? I love Helldivers, I've had my PSN account since like the PS3, I've had it linked to my Steam since...The Last of Us or Sackboy, I don't remember? It doesn't affect me directly at all, and I don't view this as any kind of a betrayal by Arrowhead. I do view it as a consumer rights issue, and I have empathy for people who bought a product that was perfectly playable but that they can't play moving forward without circumventing TOS to do so. Cutting off basically a whole continent after letting them buy the game really sucks from a consumer standpoint.

Could you explain how my framing led to you thinking it was something earth shaking? It's people not being able to play a game they paid for unless they sign up for an account they're not allowed to in their country. It's about a video game, it's not genuinely problematic or earth shaking. Why would you think anyone thinks it's problematic or earth shaking? It's a business decision with consequences for some players of the game, and that's something that will be good to address.
I'm sure the overwhelming majority of players are taking this nuanced stand.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the overwhelming majority of players are taking this nuanced stand.
I didn't set your goalpost at "no one", that was you. I completely agree the overwhelming majority of people yelling about this are bandwagoning dickheads trying to dunk on a popular game because of a bs principle/commandment that thou shalt never be forcedeth to login to another account to play a game on steam. I wish they weren't being such absolute assholes.

That doesn't change that there is a real issue here that should be solved, and the CEO of the company making the game is in agreement and is working on it. I'd like for everyone sending death threats or abuse or riling up about non-issues here to be banned from the discord, the game, Steam, go for it. But saying "people with bad motivations are joining up with people with good motivations, so let's not address the needs of the people with good motivations" is upsetting.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
There is only one legitimate and serious problem here: Selling the game to people who can't create a PSN account due to limited geographical support. If you're implying there is any other problem, I would invite you, the CEO or anyone else to read the requirements in the Steam page for the game or any of the marketing material for the game.

Im pretty sure they can create a PSN Account in their country (by selec another)

All things, buy and transaction still on Steam, so people on Philipinnes can always buying games on Steam and connect with a PSN Account US for example (or Indonesia)

It's all things service like PlayStation Store / PS+ wich is more complicated

EDIT : Sorry, leaving translation

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The CEO of Helldivers Incorporated said the reaction is warranted, so it's funny how many people are denying it's a problem, or are acting bewildered about what the issue even is. You're doing that on behalf of a company who already apologized and said they get why it's a problem and are trying to address the real issues people brought up.

View: https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1786454659256758447?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Most people are simply outraged because the culture war told them to be, not over being unable to play the game. That's a small minority of legitimate players who have a right to complain.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't set your goalpost at "no one", that was you. I completely agree the overwhelming majority of people yelling about this are bandwagoning dickheads trying to dunk on a popular game because of a bs principle/commandment that thou shalt never be forcedeth to login to another account to play a game on steam. I wish they weren't being such absolute assholes.

That doesn't change that there is a real issue here that should be solved, and the CEO of the company making the game is in agreement and is working on it. I'd like for everyone sending death threats or abuse or riling up about non-issues here to be banned from the discord, the game, Steam, go for it. But saying "people with bad motivations are joining up with people with good motivations, so let's not address the needs of the people with good motivations" is upsetting.
I'm so absolutely sorry, I said no one, you are so correct, at least one human being thought about it within an hour.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Im pretty sure they can create a PSN Account with the country

All things, buy and transaction still on Steam, so people on Philipinnes can always buying games on Steam and connect with a PSN Account US for example (or Indonesia)

It's all things service like PlayStation Store / PS+

Sorry, leaving translation
I had no idea people translated forum posts

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Hahaha even the CEO guy thinks this is stupid while weirdos go "it's just another launcher account"

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I did answer your question. Ecosystem unification.

Come on, this is far from new on PC. Even the effin' Rockstar account login is mandatory and we all know why. We're too far into this shit to start playing dumb or demanding an explanation.

We know

Not really.
All those services use their own backend for crossplatform connectivity so it's not something they have just for the sake of it, there's actual use case they get out of implementing those services. Ubi games use Ubiconnect, EA uses EA play, R* games use their own online service, and pretty much anyone can use Epic Online Services regardless of engine. These services can be utilised by any game rather than having to spend resource son developing their own bespoke cross platform functionality.

Helldivers 2 already has bespoke cross platform functionality implemented in it that Arrowhead developed without using a middleware service like above, and the hosting is done P2P. Functionally it gains nothing from unifying the ecosystem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Hahaha even the CEO guy thinks this is stupid while weirdos go "it's just another launcher account"

he never said it was stupid. His game launched with this being an advertised requirement.

he obviously thinks it's been handled kinda poorly which it has. but it's being blown out of proportion by most people.

maybe as Arrowhead CEO he should have been communicating this more frequently until now since he's constantly online (even though they already did multiple times) but it seems he was also blindsided by the reactions and is doing what he can to tell people they'll do better in the future

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
This is just embarrasing.|

Everyone knows it's just info collection, no one is hiding that, yet it is still just another random account you can be done with in a couple minutes, you don't even have to provide your correct information.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Everyone knows it's just info collection, no one is hiding that, yet it is still just another random account you can be done with in a couple minutes, you don't even have to provide your correct information.
For the longest time my PSN "real name" was Scooby-Doo... they must be feasting selling this info

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
Im pretty sure they can create a PSN Account in their country (by selec another)

It's all things service like PlayStation Store / PS+ wich is more complicated

EDIT : Sorry, leaving translation
I know. The issue with that is that it goes against the EULA of the service and thus is grounds for banning by Sony, however unlikely that may be. In other words, if you do that you are dependent on the good graces of Sony which is far from ideal and isn't how things should work.
Sony should either offer a refund to this people or create an exception for them until there is local PSN support in their respective countries.

zerosnake99

Oct 25, 2018
He didn't say that, and he's just being empathetic, but honestly the only em pathetic part is the man-children who literally could not read the MULTIPLE notices saying that PSN account is required and are now mad about it.

"They didn't enforce it before!"
Yes they did.
"They didn't consistently enforce it!"
Because it was an exception to help alleviate connectivity issues.

Honestly the biggest shock for me is Pirate Software.

He's well spoken and educated, yet somehow missed or thinks that statement doesn't matter?

Please.

The only people with legitimate problems are the ones that don't live in a country with PSN and they don't want to attempt to circumvent the account making process and potentially get banned.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
My brother in Christ you were warned from even before launch. If you're not in a country where you may not be able to make a PSN account this is a huge nothingburger and something you should have taken into account

If you are in a non-PS country I desperately hope there's some grandfathering or refunds happening but if you're in a PSN territory... what is the problem?

Last edited:

4lgu13n

Oct 28, 2017
Yup! Totally agree. The issue is restricting folks' access to a game they already bought, after the refund period is over. If they offer refunds to affected folks, or if Sony expands who can sign up for a PSN account, I think the problem is fully addressed.
Completely agree then. For a moment I misunderstood you and thought you meant something else. The issue with the CEO's statements is that he has also apologized to and somewhat supported (including implicitly in that very tweet you posted ) people who are not in this situation but simply don't feel like creating a PSN account even though they are able to and where properly informed about this requirement since the very beginning. That's awful PR work by a CEO on top of being an awful business partner to his publisher.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to read a some tantrum of an article about someone trying to refund the game on Steam despite playing 600 hours because of this

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't even a launcher y'all, it's legit create an account and link it. Ya know the same thing most of us have done without a second thought on so many games.

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
The CEO of Helldivers Incorporated said the reaction is warranted, so it's funny how many people are denying it's a problem, or are acting bewildered about what the issue even is. You're doing that on behalf of a company who already apologized and said they get why it's a problem and are trying to address the real issues people brought up.

View: https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1786454659256758447?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I'm aware a CEO taking accountability and admitting fault is a rare thing to see these days but some of y'all should really follow his lead and admit having unnecessary account links are lame as hell. Level of severity of this issue varies from mild inconvenience to not being able to play the game anymore. I don't care if the store page stated it and I don't care if it has been mentioned in news posts in the past. The game works without it so why impose these restrictions at all? It was abhorrent when Microsoft imposed it on Minecraft players and it's annoying when I get prompted for a login on Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite on a fresh Windows install. Just let these games be platform agnostic until someone wants to link their account for cross progression purposes. Stop getting in the way of people enjoying your game.

I'm never going to play Helldivers 2 on Playstation hardware and crossplay as its currently implemented works without the link so why should I need a PSN account? It's a completely arbitrary restriction that serves no purpose to PC-only players and the cynic in me assumes it's all about data harvesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not trivially easy to set up a PSN account with fake data for whatever country you want?

I remember setting up multiple accounts across different countries to access different demoes early in PS3 gen. All you needed was an email and that could be a hotmail one…

Is PSN geoblocking IPs?

Grove

Apr 3, 2024
Online games requiring an acc is the standard since I can remember. I can't think of any big MP game that doesn't require a login
We already have accounts. Steam. What is Helldivers 2 and all these other games that require third party logins doing with their account systems that can't be done with a SteamID and an optional link for cross progression if a player decides they want to play on other platforms? If I'm PC-only why should I give a shit about Xbox Live or the Playstation Network?

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
It just feels like this thread is packed full of "Well actually it's good for the corporation!" Feels kinda gross, even though I do think a lot of the noise is people taking the opportunity to feel Outraged! about something. The Helldivers lockdown on PSN accounts is a stupid self-own on Sony's part.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think Sony will walk this back for Helldivers 2 only, but this will mean no cross-progression for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.