• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
So I'm not sure how many of you have heard about this, but before I unpack this series of events, let me just say now that if you have no intention on reading the OP, please do not bother responding to this thread. There is a lot of context to consider in order to understand why Rodriguez is being criticized so harshly right now, so please take to the time to fully read the OP before replying.

Now instead of starting with the latest news, I'm going to start with one notable sentiment from 2017 that Rodriguez expressed in a way that rubbed some people the wrong way, specifically when she suggested that there was a lack of Latinx representation amidst people celebrating the achievements of Black Panther:

Marvel and DC are killing it in inclusion and women but where are the Latinos?! Asking for a friend...

and here were a few responses:

Look into @AgentsofSHIELD Diversity centered. 3 latino superheroes have had important story lines & need as much support as bigger ones.

When people ask for Latina representation they're never looking for black Latinas

The problem with Rodriguez's tweet was mainly that it was so unnecessary for her to compare the representation of black people to Latinx people, ESPECIALLY when you consider that Afro-Latinx people DO exist, and making comments like "but where's the Latinxs?" just serves to erase the black demographic of Latinx people and perpetuate the notion that being Latinx is strictly a racial identity in and of itself. So when you consider that it was unnecessary and could be seen as detracting from black people's achievements, one has to wonder why she decided to make that statement in the first place.

Fast-forward to a few months later, and Rodriguez posts this tweet:

That photo is supposed to be a snapshot of the diversity of representation of Latina women in Hollywood, but some people found something distinctly lacking in that picture:

Gina girl te quiero but um, where are the afrolatina women?

too bad there aren't any dark-skinned latinas in this picture. and no afros or curls. but i can't even say i'm surprised.

Now on its own, some people might not see any problem with that picture; there's enough room to talk about representation for all kinds of minorities. I think the issue, however, is that Rodriguez's publicly expressed idea of Latinx representation is already problematic with respect to the Latinx communtiy, so when we see her idea of Latinx representation become manifest, and is distinctly lacking in the 'dark-skinned Latina women' department, it's not surprising that quite a few eyebrows were raised. But whatever, moving on...

Things really started to take a turn for the worse with the following video, in which Rodriguez and Yara Shahidi were being interviewed

and when the interviewer started to praise Shahidi for being a positive role model for so many young, black women, Rodriguez interjects by saying, "so many women", basically 'all lives matter'-ing the interview. The interviewer wasn't having it though, and asked Shahidi how she felt for being such a positive role model for black girls, and after Shahidi responded, Rodriguez - without being prompted - felt compelled to talk about her own goals to represent her community.

The above exchange is really where you can start to see that this isn't just about Rodriguez representing her community; she is actively using tactics to detract from the celebration of black people's achievements in order to ensure that they don't get any more recognition than Latinx people's achievements (specifically, of the non-black Latinx variety), and black people on social became increasingly vocal on this issue:

But it doesn't end there! A few months ago, on a panel with Ellen Pompeo, Gabrielle Union, and Emma Roberts, Rodriguez made a comment that really garnered a lot of backlash from the black community

where she proceeded to compare the pay gap statistics between different women of color in a general discussion about unequal treatment towards women in Hollywood:

I get so petrified in this space talking about equal pay, especially when you look at the intersectional aspect of it, where white women get paid more than black women, and black women get paid more than Asian women, Asian women get paid more than Latina women, and it's like a very scary space to step into.

And we see yet again that her citation of statistics erases black women in the Latinx community, not to mention that it's slightly inaccurate and is not based on data representative of Hollywood actresses, nor does it account for the fact that black women are not offered as many employment opportunities as white, asian, or latina women. And for someone who thinks it's important to have a conversation on intersectionality, there's nary a mention of Native American women, but everybody excludes them, so that should come as no surprise.

Nevertheless, Rodriguez finally broke her silence on the issue in this SWAY interview, where she tearfully expressed her feelings on the matter:

The backlash was devastating, to say the least, because... [cries and attempts to compose herself] ... because the black community was the only community I looked towards growing up...we didn't have many Latino shows and the black community made me feel like I was seen. So, to get 'anti-black' is saying that I'm 'anti-family'.

Then in the same interview, we get this golden nugget:

...it's interesting 'cause the white community, nor did the asian community get mad at me, and I found that very interesting that, like, the one community that I felt like I related to the most were the most upset with me

So when you look at everything as a whole, I feel that the black community has every right to be upset with her antics; all of which she was solely responsible for. I decided to make this thread because i didn't see anyone on here talking about it except those in the black community thread and I do not want to continue this trend where we minorities keep our issues tucked away in some thread that hardly anyone visits while white people remain oblivious to what's going on. While I do appreciate that PoC in general are being recognized for our efforts and that more attention is being brought to the issues we face, it should not be at the expense of explicit recognition of black people's achievements and our specific issues.

tl;dr:

There isn't one. Please go back and read the whole OP.

Oct 26, 2017
It's been frustrating and irritating hearing her comments over time. I don't know what necessarily is pushing her mindset.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Damn good thread. This is one of those examples of what happens when black folks are essentially used as a means for other minorities to come up. Shit is sad as hell. Good summary OP.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I learned a new word. Legit had never heard the word "latinx" before. Is it widely used?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
ohhhh, so this is what Terry crews was talking about these past 2 days on twitter. thanks for the thread OP.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's been frustrating and irritating hearing her comments over time. I don't know what necessarily is pushing her mindset.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have suggested what her agenda was, but whatever it is, it's intentional.

Damn good thread. This is one of those examples of what happens when black folks are essentially used as a means for other minorities to come up. Shit is sad as hell. Good summary OP.

Thanks. And yeah, it's really frustrating to have to deal with this on top of everything else we gotta deal with.

Well, I learned a new word. Legit had never heard the word "latinx" before. Is it widely used?

It's used in an attempt to be more inclusive since Spanish is such a gendered (and binary) language.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which side of the line she's gonna fall on when the white supremacist owners of this country finally decide to fully welcome white or white-passing latinos into the fold.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to write it out. I was having trouble connecting the dots but the timeline laid out here is pretty damning.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Used as a general term to cover not just men and women, but those who don't identify in binaries.

In any case, yeah when presented with this it certainly seems that she's hyper concerned with Latinx people who don't necessarily identify as black, or have afro-latinx roots.

I'm sure she thinks she's doing the right thing. I don't think she's not being genuine in her thoughts that she may THINK she's fighting for inclusiveness. But she's certainly putting her foot in her mouth and not really endearing herself to the cause she's clamoring for. She can't really have it both ways here; claiming to be part of a community and yet what appears to be time after time make these gaffes where she tries to separate black and latinx issues or at least make the appearance that she's pushing a certain narrative as to who latinx people are.

Also Robbie Reyes is the GOAT Ghost Rider currently. She's gotta be aware of that.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
i have a dominican friend who is just like her. she has black cousins and indulges in black american culture, but says the dumbest shit that perpetuates ignorance.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure she thinks she's doing the right thing. I don't think she's not being genuine in her thoughts that she may THINK she's fighting for inclusiveness. But she's certainly putting her foot in her mouth and not really endearing herself to the cause she's clamoring for. She can't really have it both ways here; claiming to be part of a community and yet what appears to be time after time make these gaffes where she tries to separate black and latinx issues or at least make the appearance that she's pushing a certain narrative as to who latinx people are.

I think this is a fair interpretation.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Recently, didn't she say her quite fair father is light skin and Black Twitter had a field day? I only saw the aftermath and it was beautiful.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's completely fucked up. I don't understand what's so hard about apologizing and shutting up and listening. But shit isn't surprising in our community...

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Its seems like the common theme of her comments, or at least the ones shown in the OP, is a belief that Black American injustice/struggle is getting more attention than Latinx injustice/struggle. The last comment seems like she is surprised by the fact that being vocal about it would have backlash from the Black community.

It is hard to ignore a certain cultural, if not insincere, popularity around Black justice on the left. I hate the term virtue signaling but, somewhat along the lines of Get Out, it's "in". Its hard to find the line between those who are sincere and those who actually want to do something, and I could see some other groups get envious of a spike in "popularity".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Its seems like the common theme of her comments, or at least the ones shown in the OP, is a belief that Black American injustice/struggle is getting more attention than Latinx injustice/struggle. The last comment seems like she is surprised by the fact that being vocal about it would have backlash from the Black community.

It is hard to ignore a certain cultural, if not insincere, popularity around Black justice on the left. I hate the term virtue signaling but, somewhat along the lines of Get Out, it's "in". Its hard to find the line between those who are sincere and those who actually want to do something, and I could see some other groups get envious of a spike in "popularity".
I think some of it is"Black people are already putting in the work, they can sholder this burden too". For example
Screen_Shot_2016-02-29_at_12.22.50_PM.png

What they need to do is ask why they pulling down those that are in the same bucket instead of trying to work with them or amp their own voices.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
i have a dominican friend who is just like her. she has black cousins and indulges in black american culture, but says the dumbest shit that perpetuates ignorance.

Yea reading all of this I get the feeling she is ignorant or uneducated on certain issues. All it could take is possibly a few conversations to clear things up with her and help her understand what's right and what's wrong in terms of what she's saying and doing. I don't consider Gina the type to be someone who is actively trying to downplay african american or afro-latina issues here. I don't think an internet mob is necessary, just a good educational conversation. Now, if after that good conversation she still doesn't get it, then that's on her.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yea reading all of this I get the feeling she is ignorant or uneducated on certain issues. All it could take is possibly a few conversations to clear things up with her and help her understand what's right and what's wrong in terms of what she's saying and doing. I don't consider Gina the type to be someone who is actively trying to downplay african american or afro-latina issues here. I don't think an internet mob is necessary, just a good educational conversation. Now, if after that good conversation she still doesn't get it, then that's on her.
i dunno, Amara La Negra has been making a lot commotion in the past year about the afro latina experience. Amara La Negra is intrinsically a controversial figure because when people see her for the first time for an interview, the conversation about race automatically comes up because of how underrepresented afro latinas and afro lationos. I'm having a hard time imagining that Gina hasn't been exposed to Amara La Negra, or the serious discussions we've BEEN having on colorism. if shes aware of intersectionalism, she has to be more understanding than she is letting on. It's feeling like willful ignorance.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i believe he was defending Gina, as someone who worked with her, but after some clarified to him why her stance was questionable, he backtracked.

i wish the word "backtracked" wasn't automatically used in a negative way to describe people who are willing to change their stance when being reasoned with

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
ohhhh, so this is what Terry crews was talking about these past 2 days on twitter. thanks for the thread OP.

I've been so busy lately that I didn't even catch that one. smh

I don't believe for one second she is simply ignorant on the matter. She's well connected with many people from the black community and I'm sure that she's had plenty of opportunities to discuss these issues. In my opinion, she seems intent on wanting to make sure the Latinx community shares just as much spotlight as the black community, which is why she keeps choosing these opportune times to say what she had been saying.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This is kinda insane considering we now had a Afro Latinx hero now in the spotlight
tenor.gif

But man Gina is digging herself deeper.

Afro_Ninja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great topic and digging

Also, keep bringing this outside of the black topics, it definitely helps everyone understand.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not in Spanish it isn't. It's weird to hear it so much from English speakers. In Spanish we just say "Latinos" since that's the correct gender neutral word for everyone. Using an X is unnecessary and turns a real word into a non word.

Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to be ignorant of Latin race issues if you're going around being an activist. Even if she wasn't an activist, I can't imagine how she didn't consider these things growing up because it's always bound to pop up for mestizo folk.

I want more Latino shows and movies too but this ain't the way

I know people that act like her. They'll whitewash themselves worse than Jessica Alba in Fantastic Four.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think some of it is"Black people are already putting in the work, they can sholder this burden too". For example
Screen_Shot_2016-02-29_at_12.22.50_PM.png

What they need to do is ask why they pulling down those that are in the same bucket instead of trying to work with them or amp their own voices.

You're absolutely right. Infighting only brings everyone down and attacking those that are making progress and demanding they pull you up as well probably isnt a net positive. Thing is, in the current social dynamic, the only thing that garners attention is calling people out. Putting someone on blast by claiming they could do more or are being hypocritical. It seems like she is frustrated that her cause isnt being talked about, and the only time it was was when she starts attacking those in some amount of spotlight. Though again, that's probably not the best way to go about it. That being said, that would only be true in her case if she was already calling out people in top power majorities which, since I dont know much about this person, may not be the case. Either way the better method would be to argue quietly in back channels with partnering communities but be loud and unified against the main threat. I feel like progressiveness may have a foundational issue with that though. Culture of rebellion can be inherently hard to unify. Only the strongest of leaders can seemingly do it.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Great OP, brainchild. Noticing this popping up with Gina's comments every so often over the years, nice to see some backlash for it. It's so disappointing as she was an actress I liked. She just won't get a clue about why her behaviour is upsetting people.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
First, the OP does a great job of properly providing context. I didn't know about any of this so I really appreciate how clearly this is written.

Being a Latino who works within the Latino community, I've known many who'd never consider themselves white or black. They can get really frustrated at how their defined by people who aren't latino. We get these surveys at work and the one question that gets the most push back is weather or not they are a "white latino" or "black latino". I think that's were a lot of the frustration comes from.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Not in Spanish it isn't. It's weird to hear it so much from English speakers. In Spanish we just say "Latinos" since that's the correct gender neutral word for everyone. Using an X is unnecessary and turns a real word into a non word.
Isn't it because the "O" is commonly masculine pronoun? I definitely could be mistaken.
I don't think Gina's beliefs are entirely unwarranted. I mean, in the past year, there have been multiple box office movies starring blacks and Asians, but where are the Latinx films (and I'm trying to think of movies with white passing stars too)? Aside from Roma, I'm hard pressed to name any shows that features a Latinx lead or prominently Latin cast, despite the group making up close to 18 percent of the American population. Maybe I'm missing something?