Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Or (stick with me) perhaps your town is one that doesn't use the language and other towns do.

Or (stay with me here) perhaps the phrase is more common in more diverse areas with multiple demographics and as a result of this diversity the phrase is used.

The word gained a lot traction in more formally educated areas, think big cities with a lot of universities and a high costs of living. It is not an online thing, implying such a thing is stupid.

Similar to Royalan I was taught this word by latinx activists who use the word commonly and I now use it. People who make a big deal over a word that is used to show inclusivity are just showing their ass.

Ive lived in LA and have worked closely with activist there (mainly University and ground work for protest) up until 2017. This Latinx thing is new and I never heard it IRL. Shit, Most Mexican-Americans activist don't like being called Latino anyways. I only say it online.

The majority of us call ourselves Chicano. Especially those of us in California that are second or third generation with parents that were around during the worker rights protest. Latino erases a large part of our history

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well, I learned a new word. Legit had never heard the word "latinx" before. Is it widely used?

No. And it's a shame that the OP uses it so much, because it undercuts his point.

"Latinx" is a word invented by American English speakers who decided that Spanish wasn't good enough for folks south of the border so they decided to fix it for them.

It's a form of privilege and cultural imperialism.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ive lived in LA and have worked closely with activist there (mainly University and ground work for protest) up until 2017. This Latinx thing is new and I never heard it IRL. Shit, Most Mexican-Americans activist don't like being called Latino anyways. I only say it online.

The majority of us call ourselves Chicano. Especially those of us in California that are second or third generation with parents that were around during the worker rights protest. Latino erases a large part of our history
You lived in LA. Past tense? So when did you leave? Since the phrase has gained popularity in the last few years. And the people I learned the phrases are from LA and Houston, are they are actively still in those communities.

Latinx isn't only for Mexican-Americans.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I admit, I always assumed black people in Latin countries considered themselves distinct from what people in the United States would consider "Latino", based on the assumption that within those countries, there would be different racial categories than what Americans all group together as "Latino". I suppose it would make sense that there would be an "Afro Latino" group in the United States, but I'm surprised they would want to be counted as "Latino".

I also admit I'm pretty baffled by the idea that Gina counts as white. Maybe in the sense that as a star, she's accepted by groups of white people and has a more than decent chance of displaying conservative opinions when convenient.

It definitely does seem like Gina is thinking that "black people are getting attention, so Latino people need it too" without considering the harm this brings to black stars and communities.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
And the most cynical thing about all this is doesn't she have a movie coming out very soon?

Seems shes trying to calm the waters. With some poorly acted crying on the PR trail.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm still waiting for homeboy to explain how the word is racist because it is used to be inclusive to non-binary folks.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I also admit I'm pretty baffled by the idea that Gina counts as white. Maybe in the sense that as a star, she's accepted by groups of white people and has a more than decent chance of displaying conservative opinions when convenient.

I think an important distinction that should always be pointed out in these discussions of who and who isn't "white" is that the focus isn't so much ethnicity so much as it is proximity to "whiteness." Whiteness being the "dominant culture."

It's a very similar conversation that often plays out within the Black community between darker skinned black people and lighter skinned black people.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Latin Americans didn't just start speaking Spanish for shits and giggles, you know. It was the result of imperialism as well.

is there really that big of an indigenous population down there? i always thought it was analogous to what happened with the british and the colonies

in the USA we dont have majority english speaking because our ancestors got colonized, but because our ancestors were the colonizers

is it different down in latin america? are there that many descendants of indigenous populations compared to USA?

maybe im misreading the intention of your post completely?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which side of the line she's gonna fall on when the white supremacist owners of this country finally decide to fully welcome white or white-passing latinos into the fold.

Eh, they'll grab Japanese people first. I think I even saw some right-wing shit pushing for that a few years back.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Latin Americans didn't just start speaking Spanish for shits and giggles, you know. It was the result of imperialism as well.

Yeah you're right but that's not what he's talking about. American cultural imperialism is pretty bad on forums. Especially when multiple people from an area or culture are trying to explain why the language works as is and people are plugging their ears and saying "follow what we do in the US"

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I think an important distinction that should always be pointed out in these discussions of who and who isn't "white" is that the focus isn't so much ethnicity so much as it is proximity to "whiteness." Whiteness being the "dominant culture."

It's a very similar conversation that often plays out within the Black community between darker skinned black people and lighter skinned black people.
I assumed as much at first, but then people kept going on about her appearance and how she tans herself and such.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
That tweet is not really a good example. Rock hosted the Oscars in the middle of a big storm of controversy around all the acting nominees being white, but he framed the issue exclusively in binary terms of white and black actors, ignoring other races. And that wasn't just in the monologue, it was a running thread through the entire show. Pretty obvious why they would be annoyed with that.
Chris Rock did that because blacks were the ones who brought up the issue. No else aka other race were talking about it. The actress could have said something but she was conveniently quietly until after the controversy was over.

During the whole Oscar's is so white, other others from other groups were invited but did not pick up, while the black actors took the hit and the usual insults.

Why didn't she or any other non-black actor speak up initially? She somehow found the courage after it had blown away.

It is not black people's job to be carrying the burden all by themselves.

Psykodoughboy

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Also I'm still waiting for homeboy to explain how the word is racist because it is used to be inclusive to non-binary folks.
I thought I said privileged Latinos should be less racists. They are pushing for latinx, and that's not going to go well with other Latinos. White Latinos pushing for something always gets a Lot pushback.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
How is using "Latinx" racist?

It's not. Latinx became a thing because it has currency in some Latinx circles.

Some people are allergic to it in the same way some people are allergic to the term 'cis'. Or to criticism of blackface in countries besides the United States.

As a native Spanish speaker, I can say Spanish is no less baggaged than English, and there's no reason it shouldn't be just as fluid. Latinx acknowledges that the act of defaulting to masculine pronouns falls short for a lot of people; non-binary people, especially.

Yeah you're right but that's not what he's talking about. American cultural imperialism is pretty bad on forums. Especially when multiple people from an area or culture are trying to explain why the language works as is and people are plugging their ears and saying "follow what we do in the US"

You're doing the same shit people do when their favorite blackface festival is criticized. "We don't view that as racist here. That's an American thing."

In one way, though, it's actually worse. In this case, people are simply using language that's been accepted as more inclusive in a variety of circles; no one has actually criticized the continued widespread usage of Latino, as far as I can tell, so the pushback here is especially unnecessary.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Chris Rock did that because blacks were the ones who brought up the issue. No else aka other race were talking about it. The actress could have said something but she was conveniently quietly until after the controversy was over.

During the whole Oscar's is so white, other others from other groups were invited but did not pick up, while the black actors took the hit and the usual insults.

Why didn't she or any other non-black actor speak up initially? She somehow found the courage after it had blown away.

Yep.

#OscarsSoWhite started as a Black movement. I remember a lot of prominent Black actors being mocked for it at first (Jada Pinkett Smith comes to mind). Until it gained traction...of course.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
I commend her for taking the bullets. People were really shitty to her online and instead of using her statements as an actual dialogue to further the discourse as to why representation for latinx peoples is so poor everyone kept posting memes and dunking on her telling her to stfu about those issues unless it included black representation as well. She's not wrong. The focus has been shifted towards rectifying those mistakes which is a good thing. Per the Marvel tweet it is shitty that for 20 something odd films there aren't any latinx leads. Granted I'm only referring to the films and not Robbie Reyes on tv. Someone will chime in and point out Tessa but she's probably 5th billed on a third film in the franchise. Then there is the issue with Luis who though he steals the show in both Ant Man films is a former convict so between marvel and DC the two Mestizo actors on screen of significance are a quippy convict sidekick and the other is former gang member who shoots fireballs out of his hand. That's really cruddy people. I'm not gonna shit on black representation in Hollywood. It's fucking awesome that Black Panther is a cultural touchstone for so many folks and has done as well as it has. I think Gina has been super inelegant in how she laments that mestizo representation is not anywhere close to where is should be. Case in point name 5 A list actors who identify as latin. It doesn't help that the only rep we get is Michael Peña that's it and we make up the second largest group of people in the US. I hope Miss Bala kills it because there are stakes involved, if it fails than its one more reason Hollywood can justify not casting latinx people.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I said privileged Latinos should be less racists. They are pushing for latinx, and that's not going to go well with other Latinos. White Latinos pushing for something always gets a Lot pushback.
Your post continues to be ignorant since some of the biggest champion of the words are Afro-Latinx folks who often fall to the wayside in both latinx communities and black communities, and still face systemic issues with wealth, education, and other social-economical issues.

Your argument boils down to "privileged people should not creating inclusive spaces for marginalized individuals."

Yeah, I thought the whole point of Latinx was to be more inclusive. I see it all over progressive sites. I don't get how it's racist at all.
It's not at all. But let's see where this person goes with their argument.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Especially when multiple people from an area or culture are trying to explain why the language works as is and people are plugging their ears and saying "follow what we do in the US

This isn't really a good argument (or even one at all). Take Japan. That place has some huge fucking problems with its culture that should absolutely change. If you can't defend gendered language in any way other than "it's how we always did it" then I don't think you should be surprised people aren't convinced by your argument.

That's not gonna make a dent in voter turnout.

I think the article was shooting for political donations from wealthier demographics, not necessarily votes directly.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017

Gina said she took the picture in the OP with the latinas that showed up out of all those invited. She somehow gets shitted on for having the gall to take a picture of the meetup

How dare she push forward and take a picture?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I'm 100% sure no people of other races pointed out the problem.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Posters here have a habit of taking comments from one Latinx member a s generalizing across all Latinx and that bothers me. As far the term Latinx, I was taught the term from several female activists as an inclusive way of addressing Latino/a's.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I commend her for taking the bullets. People were really shitty to her online and instead of using her statements as an actual dialogue to further the discourse as to why representation for latinx peoples is so poor everyone kept posting memes and dunking on her telling her to stfu about those issues unless it included black representation as well. She's not wrong. The focus has been shifted towards rectifying those mistakes which is a good thing. Per the Marvel tweet it is shitty that for 20 something odd films there aren't any latinx leads. Granted I'm only referring to the films and not Robbie Reyes on tv. Someone will chime in and point out Tessa but she's probably 5th billed on a third film in the franchise. Then there is the issue with Luis who though he steals the show in both Ant Man films is a former convict so between marvel and DC the two Mestizo actors on screen of significance are a quippy convict sidekick and the other is former gang member who shoots fireballs out of his hand. That's really cruddy people. I'm not gonna shit on black representation in Hollywood. It's fucking awesome that Black Panther is a cultural touchstone for so many folks and has done as well as it has. I think Gina has been super inelegant in how she laments that mestizo representation is not anywhere close to where is should be. Case in point name 5 A list actors who identify as latin. It doesn't help that the only rep we get is Michael Peña that's it and we make up the second largest group of people in the US. I hope Miss Bala kills it because there are stakes involved, if it fails than its one more reason Hollywood can justify not casting latinx people.
Tessa Thompson is gonna be in a Men In Black movie. Does she count? She is Mexican.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Her shit is making it really hard for me to start back watching Jane the Virgin. I love that show.
It's all so disappointing, at every turn she seems to miss the point.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
Gina said she took the picture in the OP with the latinas that showed up out of all those invited. She somehow gets shitted on for having the gall to take a picture of the meetup

How dare she push forward and take a picture?

Your second posted tweet criticizes your own argument. If you tell me "Hey show up for this event, here's the promo." And all I see is white people or white passing (read: fair/light skin toned) people, I'll probably pass.

Being inclusive requires actions. You make people feel included.

A good phrase I hear in Corporate America is: diversity is inviting someone to a party, inclusivity is asking them to dance and having them feel as if they belonged.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Yes, I'm 100% sure no people of other races pointed out the problem.

Well, of course. But this is a somewhat reductionist take on the origins of #OscarsSoWhite. That movement wasn't just a broad criticism of representation in Hollywood, it was sparked by a specific thing. Namely, several prominent and critically acclaimed Black films being shut out of the Oscars that year.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Sure, and modern English only came about after conquerors from Normandy imposed the French language upon Old English speakers. So therefore English is a language born of French imperialism.

But that doesn't have any relevance today, just like your point doesn't have any relevance today.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Your post continues to be ignorant since some of the biggest champion of the words are Afro-Latinx folks who often fall to the wayside in both latinx communities and black communities, and still face systemic issues with wealth, education, and other social-economical issues.

Yeah, I'm white so I only listen to these kinds of things, but the person I know IRL who got me saying Latinx is an Afro-Latinx dude who isn't really into the gender binary (still uses masc pronouns but not always).

Tessa Thompson is gonna be in a Men In Black movie. Does she count? She is Mexican.

I think she should. It's a big role, and I'm fairly sure she identifies with the Latinx community.

Psykodoughboy

Banned
Dec 17, 2017

Your argument boils down to "privileged people should not creating inclusive spaces for marginalized individuals."

It's not at all. But let's see where this person goes with their argument.
I said privileged Latinos pushing for something is going to get push back no matter the cause. When the did I say it was racist? a lot privileged Latinos are definitely racist tho.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Count? Towards being A list? I mean would you put her at the same level of fame and recognition as Emma stone or Jennifer Lawrence?

I mean, not yet, but no one would say that about Lawrence just from landing the role on the Bill Engvall Show. MIB is a big role, and as far as I can tell from the trailers, she's the lead.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
is there really that big of an indigenous population down there? i always thought it was analogous to what happened with the british and the colonies

in the USA we dont have majority english speaking because our ancestors got colonized, but because our ancestors were the colonizers

is it different down in latin america? are there that many descendants of indigenous populations compared to USA?

maybe im misreading the intention of your post completely?

Many of the ancestors of Latin Americans were colonizers as well.

there were no Latin Americans before Napoleon the third

Exactly my point.

Well Brazilians speak Portuguese and I found out about my Brazilian heritage way too late (already took Spanish lessons) when I should have learned Portuguese .... ooops.

I didn't meant to imply that all Latin Americans were Spanish, my bad.

Well I'm not making that argument. I'm making the argument of descriptivism, where language evolves based on its organic influence.

Yep.

#OscarsSoWhite started as a Black movement. I remember a lot of prominent Black actors being mocked for it at first (Jada Pinkett Smith comes to mind). Until it gained traction...of course.

Bingo.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Your second posted tweet criticizes your own argument. If you tell me "Hey show up for this event, here's the promo." And all I see is white people or white passing (read: fair/light skin toned) people, I'll probably pass.

Being inclusive requires actions. You make people feel included.

A good phrase I hear in Corporate America is: diversity is inviting someone to a party, inclusivity is asking them to dance and having them feel as if they belonged.
If she sent out an invite before that picture was taken, how would someone feel they aren't welcome if they don't even know who was going to be there anyway? Precognition?

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sorry for not contributing directly to this thread...

My dad is Mexican and my mom is Caucasian. My mom and I split from my dad when I was a baby and left Cali for her home in Ohio. I grew up with the white experience and have since tried to embrace my Mexican heritage. I'd be considered a lighter skinned person compared to my dad. I don't have anyone who I can relate to when it comes to this aspect of my life, so it's super interesting to read through this thread. It's also a bit of a mindfuck tbh.

Darryl M R

Oct 25, 2017
If she sent out an invite before that picture was taken, how would someone feel they aren't welcome if they don't even know who was going to be there anyway? Precognition?
If she does not have a positive history with championing darker women, then the onus is on her to court them to her event by assuring them that there will be adequate representation. If she did not do that then it's on her. She knows her history.

Yeah, I'm white so I only listen to these kinds of things, but the person I know IRL who got me saying Latinx is an Afro-Latinx dude who isn't really into the gender binary (still uses masc pronouns but not always).
It's funny to me since whenever I hear a Latinx person say the word it sounds so effortlessly but being taught it as an outsider I pause and stumble to pronounce it.