Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, even if they still benefit the same monetarily, I can see where they're coming from creatively.

I mean I don't play much animal crossing but I feel it'd be pretty demoralizing to know lots of players use exploits to skip a lot of your game and not play it how it's meant to be.

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
At least now i understand what the anger is coming from.

So it seems the issue isn't Animal Crossing, but that Cloud Backup was a major reason many people paid for online subscription. And the anger is directed at AC developers that they are not justifying a prior purchase decision on the part of the player.
The problem is that they have the technology to protect our saves, and they're not using it. That's bullshit whether we paid them for anything or not.

But it's even more bullshit, and even less acceptable for them to trot out these flimsy excuses, when we have paid them.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not very subjective, This is a fuck up. They charge for cloud saves right away that should make it where they cannot restrict it especially in single player games

No, the developer is wrong for blocking cloud saves. This is something they shouldn't be allowed to do

They charge for an online service of which cloud saves is a part of, but also a part they said would have exceptions from the very beginning.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is time to stop caring so much about whether people may swap time values and more about people who don't want to lose access to all their progress were something to happen to their switch. This shit pissed me off with Splatoon 2 as well. I generally paid for the subscription so I could secure my save files.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
If even a single person irreversibly loses their Animal Crossing save because of this decision then that's already worse than anyone out there deciding to take advantage of the time manipulation.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If they're really worried about this, they can just make cloud saves always mandatory once you set them up with your save file and have them update in the background so that every time the game autosaves the cloud backup gets replaced.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, but there's no valid reason why anyone should be defending this. Just because it's the dev's decision, doesn't mean it's a good one.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If even a single person irreversibly loses their Animal Crossing save because of this decision then that's already worse than anyone out there deciding to take advantage of the time manipulation.
this. I could care less whether someone wants to alter the time on their file. I just want to preserve my own file.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
If I see someone using save states I call the police, this just saves me that step. Thank you Nintendo

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo's going to Nintendo. I understand they don't want people cheating the game, but at the same time, if something were to happen to your Switch, you're screwed out of time invested you'll never be able to get back.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Fun fact: FROM doesn't care if you cheat in singleplayer on PC

But really, they could use many ways to prevent "cheaters". Just do like Pokemon on DS

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're really worried about this, they can just make cloud saves mandatory and have them update in the background so that every time the game autosaves the cloud backup gets replaced.

It's very easy to turn off Wi-Fi.

I'm sorry, but there's no valid reason why anyone should be defending this. Just because it's the dev's decision, doesn't mean it's a good one.

Doesn't mean it's a "bad" one, either, just because you do not like it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I kind of can't, given that New Leaf saved on the cart itself. See, my wariness is over the save being on the console, and consoles being more prone to damage/loss of data.
Exactly. You could remove the storage on a dead Gamecube, you can remove the cart on a dead DS or 3DS. Can't do that here. Your shit breaks, it breaks with everything on it.
I suppose you can.

But it's dumb.
WHAT?

Again, its fucking dumb for anyone to defend this. What do you gain from defending this? PLEASE.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose you can.

But it's dumb.
Yes it is dumb of the developer blocking it and its dumb people defending it.

It's very easy to turn off Wi-Fi.

Doesn't mean it's a "bad" one, either, just because you do not like it.
its a bad decision because you think it's fine means nothing, your point about them making it online only would make way more sense than this but no matter it's a bad decision

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man could y'all just not defend stupid bullshit for once. Its dumb, its wrong. The developers are wrong. End of story. I pay for cloud back ups, give me my cloud backups.
Honestly it just reeks of fanboyism, they're getting mad because the game they like is rightly getting criticized. It's not 2004 anymore, they have the technology and the possibility to do it, and it's a game that desperately needs it seeing how time consuming it is.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly it just reeks of fanboyism, they're getting mad because the game they like is rightly getting criticized. It's not 2004 anymore, they have the technology and the possibility to do it, and it's a game that desperately needs it seeing how time consuming it is.
Apparently though it says in the fine print that not all games support cloud saves so I can't get upset or criticize the devs for dumb ass decisions that make no god damn sense. SERIOUSLY I can't remember the last non Nintendo game I have played that didn't support cloud saves, regardless of genre.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It changes how the game is played. You are free to object and free to not play, but the game devs have some say in how a game could be saved and backed up since long ago.

Apparently though it says in the fine print that not all games support cloud saves so I can't get upset or criticize the devs for dumb ass decisions that make no god damn sense. SERIOUSLY I can't remember the last non Nintendo game I have played that didn't support cloud saves, regardless of genre.
Then that just means you don't like games that restricts your saves. That doesn't mean such games didn't exist, you just didn't like them enough to play them.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All right, here we go with the personal attacks in an attempt to discredit anyone who disagrees. New phase of thread reached.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there are idiots defending this nonsense. If they REALLY cared about cheating then they'd make it always online and store your save files on their own servers so you couldn't manipulate them or roll back at all but still be protected if your switch breaks or is stolen.

But nah, Nintendo decided to go with the most backwards cheap ass option and screw over their customers and some of you fucks are still defending it lmao get the fuck out of here

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

No lies detected.

The idea that the devs would prohibit something as fundamental as being able to back up your save in favour of preventing save scumming in a singleplayer game is so ass-backwards. Particularly when people are actually paying for the 'privilege' of cloud saves. This is wrong.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
There really is a defense force for everything. There's nothing these companies could realistically do that would result in a thread without at least one person licking their boots.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's gotta be the some of the dumbest shit I have read today. Who gives a damn if someone wants to cheat the system? They paid for the game.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't a bad decision to prevent surely millions of players from properly saving their progress on a game they will spend over hundreds of hours in?

That is... a very complacent mindset.

Since I'm not paying for Nintendo's online service, I guess I'm not "properly" saving my progress on any my Switch games. Damn.

Disagree.

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt from the dev team that dont let you pause because they fear players could exploit it? Doesnt sound like they really dont care
No.

It is because the game isn't designed to be played offline. Even Sekiro a game that has pause won't allow you to pause if you are not standing still, which is a remnant of the Souls online design that is rooted in the engine build. They would have to code some new lines to make it work with pause (which isn't really a thing they would work on because most people play online anyway so it is a waste of resources).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there are idiots defending this nonsense. If they REALLY cared about cheating then they'd make it always online and store your save files on their own servers so you couldn't manipulate them or roll back at all but still be protected if your switch breaks or is stolen.

But nah, Nintendo decided to go with the most backwards cheap ass option and screw over their customers and some of you fucks are still defending it lmao get the fuck out of here
Sorry how making a game that has to work in portable mode always online a good idea? It is ok to be angry at Nintendo but at least give better solutions than what they came up with