• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine does this thing maybe once a month the controllers will lose sync and I need to boot it in safe mode to sync them again. Last night it was downloading a firmware update and the FortNite patch and it didn't freeze, but it wouldn't let me me turn the system off. Had to pull out the plug, but everything was fine after that. Apart from that, it's pretty much fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to work fine but is incredibly loud even after opening it and cleaning the fans. Would upgrade it to the Pro if I played it more often but I basically only play exclusives on it like Yakuza and everything else is on my PC

Aesnath

Oct 27, 2017
I've had mine since roughly bloodborne came out. Something is wrong with the power supply, I suspect. The system won't turn on again after being off or in sleep mode for a day or so. I have to fully unplug then replug it get it to boot. Really annoying. Thinking about getting it repaired or replaced or something.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Finally traded in my launch ps4 right before Christmas towards a pro.

Up to then, it was still working pretty good- as typical, would run more loudly with Uncharted 4 and whatnot. But still functioned great. And the Pro has been perfect. Pretty quiet, imo.

Now more notable for me has been controller battery performance.

My launch controller was flashing low battery after 2 hours or so (and frankly has always sucked). The controller I bought about a year or two in generally faired a bit better- 4-5 hours- enough to get through a long evening of gaming. Now the controller that came with the pro (newfangled one that has the "glow strip" coming from the front of the touchpad)- that seems good for a good 6-7 hours at least- Never finish a session (even long ones) where there wasn't still 2 of 3 bars battery left.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Got a day 1 ps4 and a slim ps4 in the house

The day 1 ps4 did a deep clean once opening it all up and shit and also replaced thermal paste too and its running well and cool still

Oct 25, 2017
I have a unit that was bought about six months after launch. Works fine. No noise issues or sluggishness.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a new hard drive to fit more games. It's a hybrid Ssd Hdd. Not seeing any benefit from that, but that's ok, wasn't expecting to.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
My launch ps4 makes horrific sounds when installing new games and I have to try and eject 4-5 times to get a disc out/shove discs in with a pencil.

I would swap the drive out but it doesn't seem cheap or easy, and I don't want to buy a new one (we had debated getting a 2nd for MP overwatch over a year ago and backed off, doing it now would be so annoying that we didn't do it then).

Games play fine though.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sold my launch PS4 to a friend and he's still gaming on it.

so it's going solid.

I have a PS4pro. And that's going solid

Deleted member 7101

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought my PS4 in February 2015 and it's holding up decently. Only gets loud for graphically intensive games. Hoping it holds out until the PS5, because I really don't want to buy another one. Most of my gaming is now done on the Switch, but if I had to buy one I would. Can't miss out on TLOU 2, God of War, Spiderman, or any other exclusive.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if all those with disc ejecting problems are from people who would manually press the eject button on their PS4 as opposed to selecting eject disc with the controller

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
The fans on mine won't stop ever, even in standby mode. Super annoying.

Other than that it works fine!

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sold my launch model to my cousin and his children last year - it worked excellent over Christmas when we stopped by.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Mine's starting to feel like a little baby, it sometimes turns itself on at night and the disk drive is constantly giving off that grinding sound when you eject a game, I have to wake up and pull the plug for the rest of the night otherwise it won't stop no matter what I do.

Additionaly it's slow as fuck, stuff like friendlist or store can take forever to load.

pandemonium

Oct 25, 2017
Have a Pro that's whisper quiet running great. I've been fortunate to have good consoles with the exception of the 360 red ring.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I have mine from late 2014. It becomes pretty loud while playing some games, and very rarely the auto-ejecting disc issue comes out.
It still works pretty fine, tho.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
OS Sucks, I have an external fan that makes even more noise that the OG and the console still heats a lot, even when in sleep. The OS is a slog, more often than not I have to restart bc it wont load PS Store anymore.... My OG DS4 busted the analogs less than 1 year in and now has all its left side buttons dead.
Got some new games on in though....

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
More and more it sounds like a jet getting ready for take off :[

I can't afford to replace it so I'm just kind of ignoring it so it doesn't stress me out. It's definitely a concern for me though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. 1tb drive that I upgraded to is filling up though and the fans get loud time to time but that's it.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
My launch model from November 2013 is still going strong. Was slowing down earlier last year, however i took it to bits and cleared the dust inside. Works like Day 1 again, however now and again it does sound like a jet engine when playing certain games.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Have a slim, bought it a year ago. Still works fine and is only loud sometimes with certain games, but it only lasts for a minute when it does.

seansmith9322

Oct 31, 2017
Have had mine since launch. The disc tray reeeeallly struggles to insert games on its own. I normally have to push them in. Everything else is fine.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped using my lauch model when I purchased a Pro (at release). I still works, though, I tested it a while ago. My Pro has no issues, and is quiet, too.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Bought mine the weekend of the Nathan Drake Collection bundle/price drop, and for the most part it's been fine.

However, had a scare with it last week where it just completely stopped reading discs, even after multiple database rebuilds...and then it inexplicably returned to normal. Not sure what's going on with it.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's pretty loud but hanging on just fine.

Except for that one time I got roaches in it and it wouldn't turn on. Yeah really. Turns out the little fuckers love to get in there during winter since it's all cozy and warm.

It was in a sealed bag for a few months and when I got it out they all had died and it turned on again as if nothing had happened.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My launch PS4 ran like a champ until the day I traded it in after upgrading to Pro on cyber Monday. My Pro has been awesome so far. I did have to send my og controller in for repair, but everything else has been flawless.

I've been very happy with QC and build quality this generation of consoles in general.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 models: A base one from 2014 and a launch PRO.

Both work fine.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Launch PS4 here. It sometimes makes the "inserting disk" sound over and over again, leading to an error.

Other than that, works like a charm.

Oct 27, 2017
Base from 2014 still going, but a bit loud. The controller had the cruddy thumbstick rubbers so those haven't fared so well, using newer controllers now.

My first PS3 didn't make it 3 years so this is an improvement for sure.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Still alive and kicking. Although once they kids start using it over the next couple of years all bets are off.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Mine's a Glacier White Destiny bundle I bought in October 2014 and it's still in perfect condition. It does sounds like it's taking off when playing some newer games like HZD or FF XV, but that's it.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
To my absolute surprise my launch PS4 has had zero issues and runs quiet.

This is after my launch PS1 and PS2 both had disc drives that died on me within the first 2 years, and my 2008 PS3 finally started doing the same in 2017.

Color me grateful for my PS4.

LostCanuck

Oct 27, 2017
My day one PS4 is still working. Upgraded to 2tb HD before I even turned it on. It doesn't get used as much now, it is connected in my home theater for non-HDR gaming and movies. I bought a PS4 Pro and 65" X900e over black Friday and I have been doing most of my gaming there. In fact my original MGS4 80gb PS3 bundle (bought June 2008) is still alive and kicking.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
March will mark 4 years as a PS4 owner and it's still holding strong but there are some flaws, there is a short in my charging cord which cause brief single frame cutouts but nothing dastardly. Also download speeds are abysmal at times but that's more on my service providers end.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine six months after launch, and it's probably had about 300-400 hours use and after about a year it's been noisy, hot, discs eject (have to adjust the manual eject screw every three months or so) and I kept it unplugged because it would randomly do it in the middle of the night.

A big turnaround from last gen it seems, especially compared to Xbox.

Haven't played it since the Switch launched, and it's been boxed up since I moved house in May. Will get it out once we've finished the house renovation in a few months.

Nov 8, 2017
My original launch PS4 was virtually silent. After I got my Pro, I gave the PS4 to my parents, and it seems to be a bit louder since they've had it.

My launch PS4 Pro has also remained very quiet so far.

I think maybe it helps that they stood vertically openly on the top of my cabinets. My parents have the old PS4 horizontally on a small space in the cabinet underneath the TV, so I think the fans need to run harder to keep it cooled.

My friend also had his original launch PS4 horizontally in a space underneath his TV, and it literally sounded like a hair drier after about two years (while mine was still virtually silent).

I haven't noticed any performance issues or other problems.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Launch PS4 is holding up really well. No issues.

Second PS4, well, you could say it's running like a Pro.