Oct 25, 2017
México
A couple of days ago, some guys at work were talking about their athletic skills. Well, they do not look very athletic to me (in fact they have a few extra pounds), but apparently one of them runs very fast.

They have raced on the parking lot before and he always wins (never saw them race myself). This guy is close to 40.

Well, I really don't know how I asked or how it happened, but he took it as a challenge.

So, now I have to race against him (me and 2 other guys). We set the date for May 31 (a Friday).

I haven't excersided in years. I think the last time I ran was when I was in high school (I'm 35 now). I mean, I don't even have sneakers.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Yeah, you are gonna have to fake an injury to get out of it or you are probably gonna get one for real.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the race starts, just trot at a leisurely jog, as if to say "I don't give a fuck. Why do you? You're a grown man challenging people to foot races."

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Challenge him to a race
Consistently attempt to back out
Start your race a second or two before the race officially starts
Trip him
Win

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Either you have it or you don't. You would have known if you had "it" before 35, sorry. The 40 year old who could lose 20 pounds was born to be fast......

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your threads are interesting to the point I don't buy them. Just Sprint as fast as you can and pull a hammy.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What sorta distance you talking? 100m sprint or cross country marathon? Either way you're going to have to start pounding the pavement, just practice the actual race type/distance many times before the actual event.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I will laugh my ass off if one of you trips during the race. Don't forget to pace your breathing & get some sneakers.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
whats this weird work environment where people are challenging other workers to footraces

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
YOU CAN SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE YOUR SPEED WITHIN 1 MONTH AND 10 DAYS
YOU WILL NEED TO WORK HARD but it is totally doable for the average joe.

if you don't train that guy is gonna wreck you lol.

up to you, i expect this post to get lost in a sea of memes within the next hour tho. quote if you want advice.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Bind his shoelaces together. Or throw sand in his face when you start.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I
YOU CAN SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVE YOUR SPEED WITHIN 1 MONTH AND 10 DAYS
YOU WILL NEED TO WORK HARD but it is totally doable for the average joe.

if you don't train that guy is gonna wreck you lol.

up to you, i expect this post to get lost in a sea of memes within the next hour tho. quote if you want advice.
I do want advice. I will purchase some sneakers tomorrow (what kind?). I also have a treadmill that hasn't been turned on in 5 years (when I purchased it).

Last edited:

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jump into a bucket of nuclear waste. It might give you superhuman speed. Or radiation poisoning. One of the two.

Nov 14, 2017
Do a test run to see what your biggest limiting factor is. If you can run the length of the race without significantly slowing down then technique + power should be your focus, if not then endurance. Hill sprints and jump squats are effective for improving power output and don't require equipment etc...

You should probably look up good sprinting technique and work on that regardless.

You should also consult a doctor and generally look at your your lifestyle/fitness before trying to bootcamp your way into winning a race against co-workers at the potential cost of your longer-term health.