• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
20 Days PTO + 1 Floating Holiday and 1 Sick Day per month. Not too bad. Can WFH as needed when life stuff comes up that I need to take care of as well.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Professor, so technically none but actually a lot. By that I mean we get no paid vacation days, but have very flexible schedules.

My university is closed for a week in the fall and spring semesters and two weeks or so around Xmas to New Years. We're on nine-month contracts so don't have to come in all summer unless teaching (optional for extra pay) or in an administrative role or grant with summer pay. Of course I and most my colleagues come in a ton year round as we enjoy our research work and do a lot of catching up while classes aren't in session. But it's great being able to go away pretty much whenever over those periods. During the semesters I can still mostly do whatever outside of class time and meetings. It's just a super flexible job and people general don't care what you do as long as you're productive.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
US Department of Defense employee. Currently, I accrue 6 hours per pay period (so every two weeks). This adds up to 20 days per year. We also get federal holidays off. I think there are 10 of those. Once I hit 15 years, I'll get 8 hours per pay period, which is 26 days per year. I can carry 240 hours to the next year, and would lose any over that (which has never happened to me).
Same for me...well before i retired. You forgot you have a separate bin of days for sick leave which I recall is 13 days a year beyond the annual leave. Sick you can accrue as much as you can earn. Most of these numbers you are seeing here for PTO includes sick leave.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
27 days of all-purpose PTO a year, plus bank holidays and some ancillary stuff like an additional two weeks every two years that can be used to care for family members.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
American here... I currently accrue close to 3 weeks of paid vacation every year. I also enjoy another 2 weeks of paid personal necessity days, and another 3 weeks worth of paid federal holidays. I'm also sitting on roughly 8 weeks of paid sick days that can be credited toward time served/retirement. I consider myself pretty fortunate in this department.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me...well before i retired. You forgot you have a separate bin of days for sick leave which I recall is 13 days a year beyond the annual leave. Sick you can accrue as much as you can earn. Most of these numbers you are seeing here for PTO includes sick leave.
Correct. 4 hours of sick per pay period for a total of 13 days per year.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
In the US

20 days vacation
5 days personal/sick
2 floating holidays
8 mandatory holidays

My wife's is way better

40 days PTO (sick, personal and vacation all one bucket)
5 days if carryover.
All banking holidays.
Bank buys back unused days at 2x rate.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Probably off 4-5 months a year. I'm self employed and have to make all my money in the summer and fall when there is hail damage to fix. It's a pretty good life but it's high risk/high reward.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan - 10 public holidays (but we have to make them up on the Saturday before they occur), 3 weeks off for Chinese New Year, ~6 weeks off for school summer break (but I work for two of those weeks doing summer camp). Only 3 personal days to use during the school year, so I can't really take a vacation until a long break.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
3 weeks plus 9 personal leave days. (paid)

Next year I get 4 weeks and 11 PL days. 17 years at this job so far :)
Also can take off anytime I want unpaid (within reason usually 4-5 times in a 90 day period before discipline action is taken) I usually get 30 hrs off between trips also.

Railroad worker in the US

Oct 25, 2017
I work 3 days one week 4 the next, so basically half the year.

I get 12 1/2 PTO and 6 additional days for certain Holidays if they fall on a day I'm scheduled to work.

I also get unlimited sick time

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
About 21 days (increases every year), and I have to use at least half of it. The remaining carries over and it resets at the beginning of the year.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I technically have unlimited PTO and unlimited Sick Time. I just added my time for the year and it looks like I've taken 24 days combined this year.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
In the US, it doesnt even matter how many days you accrue a year because you will be afraid to use them.

To answer the op, i get
*7 sick days (56 hours accrual per year)
*4 "personal" days (32 hours)
2 weeks vacation (80 hours generated provided I show up everyday on time. This also increases year over year.)

All of that a year. The only thing that rolls over to next year is my vacation time (up to 120 hours I believe).

Thing is, we run a tight shift. So no one wants to take off. We all are getting burnt out. So when we do take days off, we take a whole bunch of days. Which means someone else has to cover you. Then they get burnt out. The cycle repeats. Plus, it looks bad in US culture to keep taking days off. People gossip all the time about you and call you lazy. Not a good look for the bosses as well.

*Edited

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
4 weeks + 9 holidays (7 years there). But I am about to switch to consulting and move fields so I am going back to 7 days off a year. Going to be quite a shock.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
22 days a year + public holidays.
I work a 4 day week, so taking a 3 week vacation only eats up like half of my allotment if i plan it right.

This is me as well. I can't ever go back to working 5-day 8-hour shifts. It's all about that 4-10, baby! Plus optional / unlimited overtime on Fridays and Saturdays.

I want that schedule so bad. I used to work something similar at my old job:

2-12hrs and 2-8hrs at the end of the week. The 12s hurt but once you got those 3 days off? Oh my fucking god. It was like a mini vacation. I fucking hate 5-8hrs now.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Zero. The last "vacation" I took was when I got married in April 2017: was gone five days total, three of which were my regular days off, two were just unpaid.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
6 weeks. Personally I think that is quite a bit. Sure more holidays would be good but I think that gives me plenty of time off, I often don't use the full allotment.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
four

or 22 work days I guess (which is usually split in 11 / 11 plus the normal days off during that period makes 15 / 15)

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I get 35 days including bank holidays. As for sick days, there is no number put on them, that is a weird concept to me. If I'm sick then I don't go to work.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
If I include my flexi days and public paid holidays I get 65 days off per year. I'm also able to take 6 months on full pay as sick leave in any 3 year period. Plus 6 months on half pay. Its one of the few things I appreciate about my employer.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I just got promoted to full-time at my job (in the US) and I believe I get 10 days PTO and 5 sick days, but I can't remember if the sick days are paid or unpaid. I'm mostly excited because despite being a full-time position, I'm scheduled 32 hours a week, but there's practically infinite shifts if I wanted to go up to 40 or get some overtime.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Six weeks per year. I honestly don't think I'd survive living in the US. You guys are real troopers.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
21 days of PTO + 11 holidays + unlimited sick time. 6 month paid recharge every 5 years. 6 months paternity leave (that I never plan to use).

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
25 days , 13 official holiday days (some may fall on weekends) and this year we got two more free ones, so 25 + 15. Didn't use all my days past two years, so I will have 50 next year lol (you can bank them).

Oct 30, 2017
I accrue 15 days of vacation over the course of a year. This goes up to 20 days next year. On top of that, I get 6 personal days each year, use or lose. Plus 5 sick days. All paid. In total, 26 days of paid time off, but I tend to not use half of the sick time.

Oh, and the usual holidays, minus MLK day.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
30 days vacation + 11 bank holidays everyone gets + unlimited sick days

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
28 paid days leave. We can carry some over though if we want and can buy more for the next year too. Plus pay for any bank holidays and sick pay too.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In europe:

30 days vacation, 11 bank holidays, 3 additional paid days where our office is closed and unlimited sick days

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
15 days paid regular vacation leave, 15 days paid sick leave.

The sick leave is convertible to extra cash every January (you still get paid when you take a sick leave, but you get paid an extra day's worth of pay for every sick leave you didn't consume the previous year).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
23 days authorized paid leaves for this year + 12.5 days authorized paid off days (basically off in-lieu due to me working on certain weekends at home voluntarily)...i am single so not suitable but my colleagues with spouse and kids got another 7 days for childcare leave and the such,

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Thailand: 8 days. Although I get more the longer I am with the company. 5 years then you get 14, 10 and you get 20 or something.

We do have 14-16 public holiday a year though.