• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sawatsu

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Misogyny.
I think it's impossible to create a less likable female lead.

Let's forget that she fucks Harry, Peter, some astronaut guy, Peter, Harry and Peter again, her simple existence makes the movies worse, because of the forced melodrama. Oh MJ, MJ, oh no she is in danger again, for the 10th damn time. Every finale is about rescuing your love interest, because clearly the villains don't do enough bad things to justify fighting them therefore.

Homecoming was so refreshing, because it ditched bad romance almost entirely.

Insomnianc's MJ is nice too, since she can stand on her own and her antics with Peter are cute and not puke inducing like the ones from the first trilogy.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Mary Jane is a pretty awful person in the Raimi trilogy. The shit she does to Jameson's kid in 2 is honestly terrible.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Homecoming is the first good Spider-Man movie
200.gif

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I think it's impossible to create a less likable female lead.

Let's forget that she fucks Harry, Peter, some astronaut guy, Peter, Harry and Peter again, her simple existence makes the movies worse, because of the forced melodrama. Oh MJ, MJ, oh no she is in danger again, for the 10th damn time. Every finale is about rescuing your love interest, because clearly the villains don't do enough bad things to justify fighting them therefore.

Homecoming was so refreshing, because it ditched bad romance almost entirely.

Insomnianc's MJ is nice too, since she can stand on her own and her antics with Peter are cute and not puke inducing like the ones from the first trilogy.
In the game I always find it stupid that an unnarmed journalist finds it normal to infiltrate outposts with trained guards, and acts Pete is an asshole when he tells her not to do it, they should have gone with TPS sections with Yuri instead

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Spider Man 2 ends on a "feel good" moment of Mary Jane choosing Peter except she fucking left her fiancee just standing there at what was supposed to be their wedding through no fault of his own except for maybe the fact that he wasn't secretly Spider Man and didn't kiss a certain way upside down

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Even though I enjoyed that trilogy, I can acknowledge how awful she is.

Ironically, she's at her best in Spider-Man 3 when Peter is on some bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
She's definitely one of the worst parts of the films, and it's down to the conception and writing of the character rather than the acting itself. Raimi didn't really seem to have an idea what to do with her besides being something for Peter to pine after or be an obstacle for him.

Until I rewatched Spider-Man 3 on Netflix recently I didn't realize how much of the film is bloated by the whole "Harry makes the moves on Mary Jane and then forces her to break up with Peter instead of her just admitting Harry's involved" nonsense before they even get to Evil Peter stuff.

Also, if the movies were real life, I'm not sure I'd go for a woman who literally abandoned her own wedding for you. That comes off less grand gesture, more "she's going to bail on you at the last second". Like people who cheat on their spouses with each other thinking it's gonna' work out for them.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I don't particularly like that she's always the damsel in distress by the end of the movie but she's got more depth than people give her credit for.

On the surface, she seems like just a really manipulative selfish girl but there's depth. In the first movie, we establish she comes from an abusive home where she is told constantly by her father she's trash, worthless, etc. She has a shitty boyfriend, her self esteem isn't the highest.

Then when Peter comes along and tells her his feelings for her she quickly falls in love, attaching herself to the one person who shows that he cares for her and loves her. Same goes for Spider-Man himself, she falls in love because he's the hero she needs and acts as a caring figure.

This grows into a spark so that when she does move on to Jameson's Son, she doesn't feel those strong emotions again. There's a difference between having affection for someone and really, truly loving them.

She's desperately seeking approval from others too, hence her obsession with her play reviews in Spider-Man 3. I could go on but I don't want to write an essay.

I was with you up until recently when it finally clicked with me. She has more complexity and subtlety then she's given credit for. I don't think she's perfect but I think there are interesting layers to her.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I liked her and felt her character felt real. I don't think she's the jerk anyone makes her out to be.

She dated Harry because Peter never expressed interest, then he was an asshole to her and she left him.

She left Jameson's kid at the altar because the guy she's been into for years professed his love for her and revealed his secret identity (that had saved her multiple times and she was in love with also)

Even in 3, Peter is being an obtuse dick a lot of the time to her.

Her being in danger felt really forced in the third movie, but honestly felt perfect in the first two because of how well the themes of each film lead to that point.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
her ditching the astronaut at the alter was probably the worst thing she did that I can remember. Its such a strange turn and Im really not sure what the point of all of it was. "Well I guess Ill just marry this dude until Peter pulls his head out of his ass, oh well!"

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
She and everyone else was great in Spiderman 2.

When it doesn't work you get Spiderman 3. But when it works everything feels so damn genuine and from the heart. That is something missing from too many blockbusters these days IMO>

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Kristin was a good MJ, she was just written badly.

Preach.

MJ in Homecoming isn't even a character and the actual love interest in the film is barely one either, rather she's simply a prize for Peter to chase after.

It wasn't even close to being presented that way in Honecoming.

MJ was clearly being telegraphed for later.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
MJ in Homecoming has ten times as much personality despite having a tenth of the screen time.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Spider Man 2 ends on a "feel good" moment of Mary Jane choosing Peter except she fucking left her fiancee just standing there at what was supposed to be their wedding through no fault of his own except for maybe the fact that he wasn't secretly Spider Man and didn't kiss a certain way upside down
Yeah. Jameson's kid in that movie in general seems like a completely decent dude. But it seems pretty clear that MJ isn't that invested in him since she's still pining for Spidey and Peter, and then leaves him at the alter to go find Peter.

There's also a part of me that wonders if MJ hooked up with Jameson's kid simply to up her profile, because every person MJ dates in the Raimi trilogy (besides Peter) is a fairly high profile person.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't even close to being presented that way in Honecoming.

MJ was clearly being telegraphed for later.

In other words, she wasn't a character. What we giving brownie point to movies for things they'll eventually do something with down the line? Should I be applauding the mess that was BvS?

And, what depth did the actual love interest have?

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I havent seen the movies in a long ass time but I remember disliking her aswell. But I think she was really only terrible in Spider-man 3. One thing they truly fucked up on is making her a damsel in distress for all 3 movies. Wtf were they thinking.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She's terrible. This part of the 2nd trailer solidified it for me. She looks like someone just popped a balloon at a kid's birthday party when there's a 6 arm'd mechanical scientist coming at you after throwing a fucking car.

Oct 27, 2017
MJ isn't just an awful MJ, she's an awful character period. Of all 3 terrible principal characters, she is the worst.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Insomniac's MJ is an idiot though and you have to rescue her ass from a number of bad decisions. Peter also being a horndog and an enabler doesn't help the situation.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the people who dislike Kirsten MJ are weird. Y'all want this perfect woman who has zero faults, looks pretty at you, and will just love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.