• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the branding for the console going to be confusing?

• Yes

Votes: 1,896 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,088 36.5%

• Total voters

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The difference as I see it is Microsoft is willing to spend an almost infinite amount of money to make sure you know it's the new Xbox and not an add on. Nintendo seemed unaware of the confusion and didn't do what was needed to sell the Wii-U as a new system. GameCube & Wii were obvious to any consumer. Wii-U needed more to set it apart. Microsoft won't drop the ball in the same way.
This is how I see it. At the end of the day it's up to Microsoft to be able to explain to the masses that this is a new generation of hardware. It's not the best name but that's their problem to handle.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you!
Like, some Xbox fans are treating me as "the enemy" for this simple observation that this is a bad name from a branding perspective.

I have literally nothing against Xbox, and Series X is still likely to be my first next-gen console, but that doesn't mean I'm going to delude myself into thinking this is a good name.

In isolation I actually love the name. Series X feels like a modern way forward in the same way the PS2 DVD player design was ahead of it's time in a world where consoles were still trying to look like toys.

Series X feels like a naming progression ahead of it's time.

The problem? The One X exists and is already marketed as "the premium powerful console"

This kinda really does have "customer confusion" written all over it. I get that the Series X isn't aimed at the casual consumer, but the casual consumer is arguably more informed than they've ever been. When they walk into a store, there's still going to be like eleventy Xbox console options for them.

Xbox One S
Xbox One SADE
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

Like...come on, it's pretty clear there's a very real problem here. IF Microsoft manage to find a way to clear the channel of Xbox One console prior to November next year, then they should be fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
In isolation I actually love the name. Series X feels like a modern way forward in the same way the PS2 DVD player design was ahead of it's time in a world where consoles were still trying to look like toys.

Series X feels like a naming progression ahead of it's time.

The problem? The One X exists and is already marketed as "the premium powerful console"

This kinda really does have "customer confusion" written all over it. I get that the Series X isn't aimed at the casual consumer, but the casual consumer is arguably more informed than they've ever been. When they walk into a store, there's still going to be like eleventy Xbox console options for them.

Xbox One S
Xbox One SADE
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S

Like...come on, it's pretty clear there's a very real problem here. IF Microsoft manage to find a way to clear the channel of Xbox One console prior to November next year, then they should be fine.
Right, I agree fully. I actually think "Series X" is a cool name. It sounds badass. It allows easy iteration where and when needed. It is in line with the brand identity. It's great.

... except, as you said, Xbox One X exists, and that creates issues.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's the name of the generation of consoles, not the name of the actual console. Yes it's confusing, but the Series nomoclature should identify it a bit more.

All the same I'm sure if they could go back in the past and just stick to 1/2/3/4/5 they would have

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it means consoles shouldnt be compared to phones. People see phones as a requirement, necessary, and are willing to spend money theydont even have to get them.

They do the research, they wait in line for them, they sign contracts for them.

consoles are toys. They wont put the same type of investment in them. A confusing name is a self inflicted wound.
They're toys that cost $500. No one spends that kind of money without doing some research or at least knowing what they're buying. Come on now. Hot takes are fun and all, but that one is just bad.

Like I get it era's community can be pretty elitist, but you're all really underestimating the average consumers intelligence. They're not brain dead.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing i love is the sexist assumption that grnadmothers and moms wil be standing i a game store confused a

Hell of a big reach.

If that's the case why bother naming TV's, Tablets or laptops? I mean people are obviously not researching any of those either right?

These consoles are over $300 dollars best believe people put some thought and research into it before buying them.

Names=Good
Bad names closely associated with previous hardware=Not good and confusing.

Nintendo had this problem twice with the Wii U and 3DS, not everyone researches gifts for christmas when this thing launches, go to a retailer on December 26th and see the massive lines in the return area. I can't tell you how bad it was the first christmas of the 3DS where massive amounts of 3DS games were returned when people realized the DS wouldn't run them.

Look at the mass confusion here, these people cover video games for a living, it takes them a good 30 seconds of discussion to realize that this is scarlett and not an xbox one x.

Here's Maxamillians reaction, him and his buddies aren't confused because one of them pointed out it was scarlett before the reveal, and their reaction to the name is ".......what".

The name itself is not very good, Xbox series X doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it's made 10x worse by the fact that they've recently launched a system called the Xbox One X, that's going to confuse the shit out of people who don't pay attention to the industry.

They already had a good name, Scarlett sounds better, rolls off the tongue better, and is way less confusing. This is a self inflicted wound, i'm not saying they can't recover from it, the 3DS recovered from a bad name, but again......why sabotage yourself?

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I definitely agree that it's a bit confusing, but the Wii U confusion was more than just the name—it was 30% name, 30% the long streak of original Wii accessories, and 40% Nintendo focusing on the gamepad and rarely showing the system itself in my opinion.

I'm wondering if Lockhart will be called Xbox Series E. Xbox used the letter E late during the 360's life with the last model of the Xbox 360. I can't see MS getting rid of Xbox One S All Digital Edition anytime soon since it's cheap, and I would be surprised if there will be new Xbox One X SKUs in 2020 with fall 2020 games bundled.

Yeah, this.

The name won't be any bigger problem than Xbox One was (of course that console had much bigger problems than its name).

Still, I just don't get why big companies struggle so much with names. It's bizarre.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The difference as I see it is Microsoft is willing to spend an almost infinite amount of money to make sure you know it's the new Xbox and not an add on. Nintendo seemed unaware of the confusion and didn't do what was needed to sell the Wii-U as a new system. GameCube & Wii were obvious to any consumer. Wii-U needed more to set it apart. Microsoft won't drop the ball in the same way.
I agree with this.

Now that I think about it....it's good they went with a totally different form factor.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Yes these poor downtrodden Xbox fans. They can't win!

This is funny. I have owned damn near every console in existence starting with the Atari 2600 and culminating with the PS4, Switch and XB1. I also have a gaming rig. I am not a "fan" of any billion dollar corporation. I am a fan of games. You guys are getting your panties in a bunch over a name. I can remember telling Nintendo fan boys they were being ridulous when they said the name Playstation sounded like a Fisher Price toy. And then later when Sony fanboys critcized the name Dreamcast. Then Xbox and Sony fanboys criticizing Gamecube and Wii. Who cares what it's called? If it plays kick ass games I'm there. Console warriors are hilarious.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these Wii U comparisons are dumb. Nintendo did fuck all to show people why the U was an entirely new console, Microsoft will not have that problem. Let's also not forget the fact that the Wii U was garbage hardware competing with significantly better competition.

We have an E3 coming and a holiday release, anyone still pretending that this will be confusing by this time next year I find suspect.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. If the Xbox One wasn't confusing for people then the Series X won't be either.

Nintendo just sucked at marketing the Wii U and it's target audience didn't know any better.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Do people really think that some rando customer is going to suddenly be interested in Xbox because of the new consoles and accidentally buy the several-year-old stuff they avoided purchasing over that aforementioned several year period? If someone wants to buy a console, they're gonna get the one they want, and the people who are so confused that they either get the wrong one or just get angry and grab a competing product (FCKN LOOL) are of such statistical insignificance that I'm not even sure it's worth navel gazing over.

What people think is going to happen:

Customer: Hey! Hey you!
Employee: How may I help you?
Customer: I want the Xbox X or whatever. You got any o' dem?
Employee: Yes I believe we do!

Employee leads customer over to consoles

Customer: So which one is it?
Employee: I....I-I don't r-really know...
Customer: Aw hell, now what'm I gonna do? This is the Wii U all over again!
Employee: I DON'T KNOW, OKAY!? NONE OF THESE ARE PRICE MARKED AND THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME NAME!

Employee grabs an Amazon Fire Stick and a Switch Pro controller and hastily hands it to the customer before running away

Customer: Guess I'm gonna buy a PlayStation 5 or whatever.

What will actually happen in the worst case scenario:

Customer: Hey! Hey you!
Employee: How may I help you?
Customer: I want the Xbox X or whatever. You got any o' dem?
Employee: Yes I believe we do!

Employee leads customer over to consoles

Customer: So which one is it?
Employee: Uhhh, this is the most expensive one, and it's the one that people are always buying, so it's probably this one. Give me just one second...

Employee (now "Employee 1" asks another employee, "Employee 2," about the consoles)

Employee 1: Hey, 2, we have a customer that wants to know which is the new Xbox. I think it's....this one?
Employee 2: No, 1, that one says "Series X." The one you want is this One right here.
Employee 1: 2, why is this One cheaper?
Employee 2: Because it's The One!
Employee 1: The One that I want?
Employee 2: You are The One I want. Ooh ooh ooh, honey.

Customer grabs a PlayStation 5 and walks out the door without paying.

Point is, customers are ultimately going to walk out the door with the thing they want. Retailers had better hope that said customers pay before they do, though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Do people really think that some rando customer is going to suddenly be interested in Xbox because of the new consoles and accidentally buy the several-year-old stuff they avoided purchasing over that aforementioned several year period? If someone wants to buy a console, they're gonna get the one they want, and the people who are so confused that they either get the wrong one or just get angry and grab a competing product (FCKN LOOL) are of such statistical insignificance that I'm not even sure it's worth navel gazing over.

Not confusing for the gamers, for the people buying consoles as gifts.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah its quite a disaster.

Why couldn't they come up with a more definitive name signaling the next gen jump ?

Will the xbox x be considered part of the family of systems ? if not, why this naming ?

Its bottom tier branding.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Names=Good
Bad names closely associated with previous hardware=Not good and confusing.

Nintendo had this problem twice with the Wii U and 3DS, not everyone researches gifts for christmas when this thing launches, go to a retailer on December 26th and see the massive lines in the return area. I can't tell you how bad it was the first christmas of the 3DS where massive amounts of 3DS games were returned when people realized the DS wouldn't run them.

Look at the mass confusion here, these people cover video games for a living, it takes them a good 30 seconds of discussion to realize that this is scarlett and not an xbox one x.

Here's Maxamillians reaction, him and his buddies aren't confused because one of them pointed out it was scarlett before the reveal, and their reaction to the name is ".......what".

The name itself is not very good, Xbox series X doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but it's made 10x worse by the fact that they've recently launched a system called the Xbox One X, that's going to confuse the shit out of people who don't pay attention to the industry.

They already had a good name, Scarlett sounds better, rolls off the tongue better, and is way less confusing. This is a self inflicted wound, i'm not saying they can't recover from it, the 3DS recovered from a bad name, but again......why sabotage yourself?

Honestly, it was more shock that MS was revealing a new console right then. I don't do this for a living and immediately knew it was the new console.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, I'm positive there will be some confusion between Xbox One X and Xbox Series X, but it won't be near Wii U levels.
Nintendo only showing the Gamepad during the reveal, while flat-out refusing to show that damn console, was a special kind of fuck up. The Xbox has no such problem.

Aug 13, 2019
I absolutely hate the name because it sounds incredibly cheesy, but I don't think it'll be as big a problem as people make it out to be.

"Hey, I'm looking for the Xbox Something X; the new one"
"The Xbox Series X? Here you go."
"Thanks!"
The End.

I always figured one of the greatest reasons the Wii U failed was marketing(Is it a new console? A new Controller? What the hell is it?), which I don't think Microsoft will drop the ball there. Any parents going to Best Buy or Walmart are going to see Xbox Series X advertisements all over the place anyway. Anyone with two working brain cells and a competent store employee helping them will be fine.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
No. People are trying really hard to make something out of nothing here.
Or, potentially, people have a different opinion than you do. I keep seeing statements like this. "People are being ridiculous. It's not confusing at all." ... to you! I can relate to someone saying it doesn't bother them at all and that they like it, so maybe try relating to people who don't agree with you. Personally, I of course am not confused. I'm familiar with the consoles, but when told my dad the names of all the xboxes, he thought the sequence didn't make a lick of sense. From an outside perspective, I think the naming convention for their consoles after 360 have been irrational. The fact that there's an Xbox One X and then the Xbox Series X is absolutely convoluted, and it's sure to throw some people off. I'm not saying they'll crash and burn or that I hate it, but I really don't think it's a good name.

At the end of the day, it likely inconveniences game enthusiasts that talk on message boards more than anyone. hahaha. I'm not looking forward to typing out their console names when doing any sort of comparison between them.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should have took advantage of the fact that it has really good backwards compatibility and called it

Xbox ∀X

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, it was more shock that MS was revealing a new console right then. I don't do this for a living and immediately knew it was the new console.
I think what really stands out is that I've seen people come to the realisation that it's the next gen Xbox, and the name reveal causes them to rethink.
Almost like: 'I thought it was the new Xbox, but it couldn't possibly be, judging by the name'

In the EZA video they first come to the conclusion that it's the new Xbox, then they get confused by the name, and eventually they come to the conclusion that It is the new xbox after all.

Something similar in Minnmax's (former GameInformer staff) video:

They come to the realisation that it's the new Xbox, but because of the name reveal he asks if it is "a redesign".

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Nah the Wii U's name was a problem but that wasn't all. It looked too much like a Wii and the Gamepad made it seem like a peripheral upgrade. Series X drops the "One" and doesn't look anything like pretty much any prior console made.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I wrote this as a joke, but it is totally plausible.

Parents trying to buy the new Xbox for their kids.
Do you guys have Xbox?
-Yeah we have the Xbox One S, One X, and Series X.
Yeah the 4K Xbox one
-Oh the Xbox One X?
Is that the one from this year?
-Oh the Xbox Series X?
Which one is cheaper, I'll take that one.

I bet this exact thing happened with the Wii/Wii U, consumers probably though it was all the same.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Agreed. When I first saw series X, I Immediately knew where they were going with it and IMO it's perfect. Xbox is just the name and the series means which version.

I honestly don't know how people can be confused unless you're dumb.

I mean I get it too but we are on the message board are informed and enthusiasts. The normies aren't

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Or, potentially, people have a different opinion than you do. I keep seeing statements like this. "People are being ridiculous. It's not confusing at all." ... to you! I can relate to someone saying it doesn't bother them at all and that they like it, so maybe try relating to people who don't agree with you. Personally, I of course am not confused. I'm familiar with the consoles, but when told my dad the names of all the xboxes, he thought the sequence didn't make a lick of sense. From an outside perspective, I think the naming convention for their consoles after 360 have been irrational. The fact that there's an Xbox One X and then the Xbox Series X is absolutely convoluted, and it's sure to throw some people off. I'm not saying they'll crash and burn or that I hate it, but I really don't think it's a good name.

At the end of the day, it likely inconveniences game enthusiasts that talk on message boards more than anyone. hahaha. I'm not looking forward to typing out their console names when doing any sort of comparison between them.
Nah I'm good. I know exactly what people are doing.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm on the "nobody bought a WiiU because they didn't want one" side of things. The name was the least of its issues. I love the signature controller but I know most people think it's cumbersome.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U had the problem of the gamepad looking like an add-on, I don't think it'll be a problem here

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
1 iPhone
2 iPhone 3G
3 iPhone 3GS
4 iPhone 4
5 iPhone 4S
6 iPhone 5
7 iPhone 5c
8 iPhone 5s
9 iPhone 6
10 iPhone 6 Plus
11 iPhone 6s
12 iPhone 6s Plus
13 iPhone SE
14 iPhone 7
15 iPhone 7 Plus
16 iPhone 8
17 iPhone 8 Plus
18 iPhone X
19 iPhone XR
20 iPhone XS
21 iPhone XS Max
22 iPhone 11
23 iPhone 11 Pro
24 iPhone 11 Pro Max

If people can understand this, they can understand Xbox Series X. Don't get me started on iPad.
1 iPhone
2 iPhone 3G
3 iPhone 3G fast
4 iPhone 4
5 iPhone 4 fast
6 iPhone 5
7 iPhone 5 colourful
8 iPhone 5 fast
9 iPhone 6
10 iPhone 6 Big Boi
11 iPhone 6 fast
12 iPhone 6 fast big boi
13 iPhone you can't afford the top trim model
14 iPhone 7
15 iPhone 7 big boi
16 iPhone 8
17 iPhone 8 big boi
18 iPhone I know it's called the ten but I'm going to call it the X anyway
19 iPhone I didn't know it was called the ten R
20 iPhone Excess
21 iPhone Excess MAXIMUM
22 iPhone 11
23 iPhone 11 Pro
24 iPhone 11 Prolapse

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be the new Xbox

People will ask for "the new Xbox"

Clerks will give them "the new Xbox"

Will it fly off the shelves? Who knows! But if it doesn't, the name won't be why.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
If ppl can understand Apple and Samsung branding this will be fine.

Speak for yourself. I had a 5S until this year, phone hunting was so confusing for me. Made me feel old as hell. In the ended up getting a Galaxy cause I could understand version 10 and each edition was a different size. I still dont understand Apple's iPhone X naming structure and I found the whole thing confusing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The branding might make better sense if Microsoft are making a lot of different hardware under that 'series' umbrella, not just a high and low end console. Think Xbox Series PC, Xbox Series AR, Xbox Series VR, Xbox Series Racing Wheel, Xbox Series Flightstick, Xbox Series Elite Controller.

It could also make sense they are trying to get to a clearer PlayStation standard naming scheme from now on even if it is a mounthful, a consistent mouthful that goes up in numbers.

I can't think of another reason why they would choose this name.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft wont fuck it up.

Nintendo's problem was that the console looked like the Wii, used all the Wii accessories and seemed like we just needed to add the gamepad to the Wii.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I think the name is extremely stupid and doesn't make sense at all but the biggest problem for me is the X.
What the hell are they going to call their mid season upgrade now? 😅

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
And I think it's not too late for Microsoft to correct the name.

But I think people will get used to it.

it's risky, but it can work very well for the general public with the lockhart.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It could prove to be confusing, but they have plenty of time to establish the naming so it becomes entirely natural sounding. Like everyone thought Wii or iPad were absurd initially but we don't give it a moment's thought now. One of the things I think they did right is move the emphasis back to Xbox. "Series X" sounds like it qualifies what tier it belongs to without being an essential part of the brand name, whereas "Xbox One" was clearly a compound name.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm fine with it. I would've preferred a more definitive name, but i think we'll adapt and accept it just like other generations. Most people call it Xbox generally anyway(which they're smart to still incorporate). I understand the Wii U assumptions, but this is far from that for a few reasons:

-There isn't a second screen which confused a lot of people assuming it was just an add on to the existing console
-The form factor is drastically different compared to Wii U which was fairly similar to the original in form factor.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019