• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They were announced as multiplatform when PS5's timed exclusivity was announced. What are you even trying to say? Both of these reveals say timed console exclusive at the end.
youtu.be

GhostWire: Tokyo – Gameplay Reveal Trailer | PS5

https://www.playstation.com/games/ghostwire-tokyo?emcid=or-1s-412983"Tokyo is overrun by deadly supernatural forces after 99% of the city's population vanish...
youtu.be

DEATHLOOP - Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer | PS5

https://www.playstation.com/games/deathloop?emcid=or-1s-412983DEATHLOOP is an innovative first person shooter launching for PlayStation 5 and PC from Arkane ...

The DIFFERENCE is Redfall and Starfield NEVER got an announcement of consoles.
Both Deathloop and Ghostwire were announced at E3 2019, a year before those exclusivity deals were announced. No platforms were mentioned, for this exact reason. It wasn't until a year later, when we saw gameplay that we found out they were timed exclusive. Until then, everyone assumed they were multiplatform. Same for Starfield in 2018.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
is anyone surprise by this though? they are now microsoft owned.. wtf .what did you guys expect?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me a game that started development prior to the acquisition was planned for PS but post acquisition was removed from PS because Sony hadn't signed any deals regarding the game? I'm shocked

Bláthanna

Feb 15, 2023
Ireland
What the hell are you even talking about??

End of this Deathloop reveal, announces that its coming to PS5 as a timed console exclusive, i.e. its announced for Xbox and Playstation. https://youtu.be/mc2hz3LJhTY

End of the Ghostwire gameplay reveal shows the same thing. https://youtu.be/l4tkNjJsOvY
So, is this not essentially the same as what is being said about Redfall here? A multiplatform game made exclusive due to a business deal with a platform holder? Or does it not count because it was only said by the game's director rather than hinted at in the end card of a youtube video?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This seems the prefect response to your post:

I ask again, Sony was gonna money hat a game...that was never coming to PlayStation...

🤔
Who are you speaking to?

Zenimax was a multiplatform publisher. Of course they'd be planning on releasing on all platforms. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they spent a little time on Stadia too.

The point here is that a Redfall was never announced as releasing multiplatform. If it was, MS would have honoured that existing agreement.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Both Deathloop and Ghostwire were announced at E3 2019, a year before those exclusivity deals were announced. No platforms were mentioned, for this exact reason. It wasn't until a year later, when we saw gameplay that we found out they were timed exclusive. Until then, everyone assumed they were multiplatform. Same for Starfield in 2018.
Okay, and Microsoft should honor your assumptions now??

The fact of the matter is that what is announced is what is announced, and what was never announced were Starfield or Redfall for PS5.

If the acquisition took place a year later, after Starfield and Redfall were revealed and had platforms announced, I'm sure we would be seeing them on PS5. But since they never were officially announced for the platform, they aren't showing up there.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Capcom took Resident Evil 4 Remake away from Xbox One gamers after surely having it originally planned for the console 😢 /s

Or in reality... for whatever reason during development be it costs, market, sales projections, or acquisitions, it doesn't matter if a platform was "planned" at some point if by the time it was announced/revealed/launches it is not releasing on said platform(s). It was not dropped post-communication unlike Stellar Blade as someone pointed out (there may be other examples throughout history, but that is recent). Note: not saying that is due to Sony's partnership with the game as some form of warring, just an example.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Okay, and Microsoft should honor your assumptions now??

The fact of the matter is that what is announced is what is announced, and what was never announced were Starfield or Redfall for PS5
No, they shouldn't. I think we actually agree with each other.

I'm okay with Starfield and Redfall being exclusive because they are first party now and Xbox can and will do what they want with Bethesda games, just like Sony can with their own games. They were never "taken away" from PS5 because they were never announced for PS5.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, is this not essentially the same as what is being said about Redfall here? A multiplatform game made exclusive due to a business deal with a platform holder? Or does it not count because it was only said by the game's director rather than hinted at in the end card of a youtube video?
No, a timed exclusive is obviously substantially different than a permanent exclusive. Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo came to Xbox after a year while Redfall and Starfield will never come to Playstation.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
How is pointing out that "removing games" requires the game to exist on the platform lawyer mode? Like if you just want to take the most uncharitable take on what they said, go ahead but don't call it fuzzy because of your willful ignorance.

3 COD entries in 10 years? HUH?

Also, if why hasn't Microsoft made Minecraft and its spin-offs exclusive? They never made an agreement to keep them multiplatform.
ok Sullivan. Like not even trying to go back and forth, it's a difference of opinion, I don't believe it's willful ignorance at all, and I believe something being in development and stopped falls under "taking games away". The game did exist on other platforms, it simply wasn't annoucned. No no one lied, yes, we can all exercise some common sense here.

But again, agree to disagree there. Ya'll have a good day and i mean it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
They were SUPER fuzzy with PR in the beginning.

"Case by case basis"
Essentially, we will look at games and see what makes sense to release multiplatform and what does not make sense to do so.

"Not done to take away games from Playstation"
They are not taking away anything that is already there on PlayStation. They keep supporting everything that needs supporting as they have always done with every deal they have signed.

"Continue to honor contractual agreements"
Where a contract exists, they have always seen the contract through. They did that with every purchase they made, even when they got publishing rights for something like Psychonauts II.

It's a bad look, no matter how pro-competition anyone claims, this is actively taking games away from a userbase that would have otherwise gotten to play it.

Hell even now Phil's PR is leaving room to intepreation for future franchises like Elder Scrolls. Where he said Starfied is a new IP, and there's no established userbase on PlayStation. Well there sure as hell is for Elder Scrolls lol.
This is the thing I do not get.
You will see people that are OK with timed deals, and some of those being extended by Sony to God knows when coming up and complaining about games missing out on PlayStation.

I have always said that what Microsoft did was right. Sony was killing their business one timed exclusive at a time, and blocking a new way of content delivery with each contract they signed.

Sony is big enough to look after itself, and people that have consistently chosen to never spend dollars elsewhere can simply live with their decision. We cannot be sitting here debating about the morals of how business should be done when no single console OEM is bathed in light.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
And, and here is a recent example of actual "taking games away"
XqpHFm4.jpg

I wish there was this much outcry after Sony made Stellar Blade exclusive AFTER that game had already announced its platforms.

Sony gets Stellar Blade.

MS gets this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44hVOJo9KGY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byFCqXK-dRk

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Just buy an Xbox or PC if you really want to play RedFall. Don't give me that bullshit that you don't have enough money, you guys bought a $499 PS5 and you buy $70 games, so you have the money.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
is anyone surprise by this though? they are now microsoft owned.. wtf .what did you guys expect?
I don't think anyone is surprised but the mental gymnastics of how MS didn't actually take it away (because it wasn't officially announced, though it was clearly in active development) is fun to see.

That being said Harvey probably should've either dodged this question or should've added a PR spin on it instead of being so blunt about it lmao.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
No, they shouldn't. I think we actually agree with each other.

I'm okay with Starfield and Redfall being exclusive because they are first party now and Xbox can and will do what they want with Bethesda games, just like Sony can with their own games. They were never "taken away" from PS5 because they were never announced for PS5.
Yea seems like we're arguing the same thing here lol, my bad

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021

And I didn't care about either of them going exclusive. In fact, I don't really care about any game going exclusive, I personally prefer exclusives. Just find it funny how mad people get that an unannounced game was made exclusive (which doesn't go against anything the acquiring party claimed) while people just ignore platforms actually being dropped from a game's already announced platforms.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Okay so now we can stop pretending that Phil's line of everyone should be able to play all games is any more than a PR line. And it's understandable why Sony is worried about the Activision acquisition and future of Call of Duty on their platform.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Just buy an Xbox or PC if you really want to play RedFall. Don't give me that bullshit that you don't have enough money, you guys bought a $499 PS5 and you buy $70 games, so you have the money.

now that is bold, not the approach I was expecting.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
it's just weird.. a lot of post seem to make it seem some evil corp microsoft.. lol Sony would have done the same

Except most people haven't said Sony wouldn't. One can argue against Microsoft and still not want sony to do the same. We shouldn't list all posts with a disclaimer that is like

*these views may or may not necessarily extend to all other companies*

Deleted member 129418

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 26, 2022
I just wish we would put the same amount of energy into discussing the game itself and not the context is in lol. like i know this is a thread about how Redfall is not on PS5 and i should be mad about it!!!!! but it feels like the game only really gets attention around here when it's for bad or controversial news. idk. Just me. don't pay attention

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

I have a gaming PC. I am still not a fan of this. My beliefs or desires do not extend to myself personally. I'm going to play Starfield on PC regardless, I would have still liked it to be on everything just like Skyrim was.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
ok Sullivan. Like not even trying to go back and forth, it's a difference of opinion, I don't believe it's willful ignorance at all, and I believe something being in development and stopped falls under "taking games away". The game did exist on other platforms, it simply wasn't annoucned. No no one lied, yes, we can all exercise some common sense here.

But again, agree to disagree there. Ya'll have a good day and i mean it.
You are not owed anything.

The moment Microsoft gets a publisher or developer in, they are under no obligation to continue developing games for platforms outside their own. In short, they inherit all prior development cost.

They do as they wish. There is nothing wrong with that unless you feel that there is a need for games to appear on your platform of choice. Most, did not even support Arkane like that. Many on here do not even like first person shooters like that.
Sometimes, we have to say the truth as is.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
And I didn't care about either of them going exclusive. In fact, I don't really care about any game going exclusive, I personally prefer exclusives. Just find it funny how mad people get that an unannounced game was made exclusive (which doesn't go against anything the acquiring party claimed) while people just ignore platforms actually being dropped from a game's already announced platforms.
This thread is just about news that wasn't public before now being public.

Make due with that information as you please but it isn't really about Sony not doing what MS does or vice versa.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Okay so now we can stop pretending that Phil's line of everyone should be able to play all games is any more than a PR line. And it's understandable why Sony is worried about the Activision acquisition and future of Call of Duty on their platform.

still wild to me that people actually buy the PR

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Read this reply by Idas

www.resetera.com

The Microsoft / Activision Blizzard acquisition |OT| Antitrust Simulator (completed; discussing post-merger issues) OT

Since at least September 2022, the CMA knows about Redfall (and Starfield) becoming exclusives once MS bought Zenimax (implying that there was a PS5 version in development): Decision from Phase 1 (September 15th 2022) The CMA found a pattern of Microsoft acquiring development studios and...

Lets go back to talking about how great this game looks!

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Zero of these companies are your friends or comrades; they are fighting each other for your money, whatever it takes. It's amazing they're able to create legions of fans so dedicated that they spend all day online warring over this weird shit. They both take advantage of the various methods they have, not for you, but for your wallet to join their ecosystem. Becoming a devout warrior for one or the other is so absurd.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Another console war thread, I see. Exclusives are part of the business. How many planned multi-platform ports have been canceled over the years due to buyouts or moneyhats?

Now, let's ask ourselves which platform holder do we think has more experience in such matters. Then let's ask ourselves if we were as vocal about such things when it was the "other" platform that was impacted by such tactics.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Capcom took Resident Evil 4 Remake away from Xbox One gamers after surely having it originally planned for the console 😢 /s

Or in reality... for whatever reason during development be it costs, market, sales projections, or acquisitions, it doesn't matter if a platform was "planned" at some point if by the time it was announced/revealed/launches it is not releasing on said platform(s). It was not dropped post-communication unlike Stellar Blade as someone pointed out (there may be other examples throughout history, but that is recent). Note: not saying that is due to Sony's partnership with the game as some form of warring, just an example.

Of course it is because of Sony's partnership. The major difference is that Sony only has a partnership with Shift Up -- to my knowledge they didn't acquire them, so the developer is still very free to do whatever projects they way for whatever publisher they want, with whatever deals they like.

I don't get the comparison at all.

Feb 19, 2023
A penny for the CMA's thoughts on this.

First thing that came to mind.

This was known to the CMA as of September 2022. As per Idas:

Since at least September 2022, the CMA knows about Redfall (and Starfield) becoming exclusives once MS bought Zenimax (implying that there was a PS5 version in development):

Decision from Phase 1 (September 15th 2022)

The CMA found a pattern of Microsoft acquiring development studios and making their upcoming games exclusive to Xbox. All of these studios developed games for other gaming consoles before being acquired by Microsoft. These include:

(a) ZeniMax Media: Microsoft chose to make several of ZeniMax's major gaming franchises exclusive in consoles to Xbox, including the upcoming games Starfield and, based on Microsoft's public statements, The Elder Scrolls VI, following its 2021 acquisition.

Microsoft's response to the Issues Statement (October 31st 2022)

Microsoft stated that it would "honor all of ZeniMax's obligations to continue to make its current games available on other gaming hardware, including two planned console exclusive releases for the Sony PlayStation 5: Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo". The games were released on an exclusive basis on PlayStation with high Metacritic ratings.

Microsoft has not taken any existing ZeniMax titles which were shipping on PlayStation on 9 March 2021 (the date when it closed its acquisition of Zenimax) off Playstation or other platforms.

Microsoft was clear that "[REDACTED]". The first Xbox and PC exclusive games will be Starfield and Redfall (both entirely new games) which are scheduled to be released in 2023 (i.e., some 2 years after the ZeniMax acquisition).

I don't think that this statement adds anything new to the review process.

People thinking this adds anything to the current climate are mistaken.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see what will happen to the Doom and Wolfenstein series. I'd bet they stay exclusive, but stranger things have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.