Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just curious how do you know it's not helping?

I mean if one were to solely look at from a "who is selling more" perspective I could see that statement but in reality there is more To it than that

II'm sure its helping MS as a company compared to before they launched the X. But in regards to beating its competition, the gap is only widening now, not closing

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The leaks that say anaconda is going to be a "premium" console at the opposite end of the spectrum compared to lockhart. I fully expect anaconda to cost about $100 more than the ps5. It'll be marketed towards core gamers who are willing to pay more for extra power.
If this happens, it's going to risk normalising the ps5 price and make 499 look totally reasonable.

Ie ps5 in isolation at 499: 'too expensive!'
Ps5 at 499 when ms launch at 599 with a strong box and 399 with a weak box: ps5 looks good!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just curious how do you know it's not helping?

I mean if one were to solely look at from a "who is selling more" perspective I could see that statement but in reality there is more To it than that
Haven't sales for Xbox one slowed below 2018? It got a boost the year after laucnhed but I think that was it.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's cool and all, but hope they get their 1st party straightened out for Year 1 of the next Xbox.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
II'm sure its helping MS as a company compared to before they launched the X. But in regards to beating its competition, the gap is only widening now, not closing
Hence my statement of looking at it from a single mindset

Edit:
I agree with you btw the PlayStation brand is way much stronger and just having "more powah" isn't going to do anything in selling more than Sony.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure they would LOVE to be #1. But since they won't be in the foreseeable future I'm sure they have other internal goals/benchmarks they are striving for

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Could MS take a hit with Scarlett ? Let say it will be a 600$ console, but they will sell it 500$. I can see Microsoft do especially with Gamepass and X Cloud. However, not sure Sony will ever again sell a console at loss.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine what Rare and PG or The Coalition will be able to do with Anaconda

Of course developers in general will blow us away, but from the 3 I am only excited for Playground Games next new IP. Rare still needs to prove themselves and The Coalition first have to deliver Gears 5.

In general I think we will see consoles with almost the same ballpark of power that can be extracted from devs.

Second games will have better graphics and more simulation, but since power of PS360 I think we have a minimum standard reached where games look better, we still can be amazed, but it is in the hands of developers to create their vision.

Feb 10, 2018
If MS aims to be the most powerful they should make a BOLD move at E3 and announce all their specs.

If they're that confident, it's already too late for Sony to make any substantial changes.

And if they're right, it will make Sony look bad when they announce their weaker specs, just like what happened with the PS4 Pro.

If I were Phil and was convident I would not tell the gpu and ram specs because even though Sony won't be to change much it still gives them plenty of time to react, I would announce the specs in 2020 or after Sony announce there's so they have very little time to react.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
Could MS take a hit with Scarlett ? Let say it will be a 600$ console, but they will sell it 500$. I can see Microsoft do especially with Gamepass and X Cloud. However, not sure Sony will ever again sell a console at loss.
Sony did sell PS4 at launch with loss but they minimized the loss by PS+ sub and one game for best case

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Both will probably sell at a loss regardless or to were a game or PS+/XBLG sub makes it even.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe a bit much since WW they aren't as popular but certainly better then where they are now. The Switch has shown that a novel concept and great games can sell without high powered specs.

Either way, console wars are coming and I'm going to be on the sidelines of that war.

True enough, great gaming times are coming. This fierce competition will bring out the best in them and we as gamers will reap the benefits 👍

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed about E3.

If MS does not come out swinging at E3 then it will be such a wasted, deflated effort. They need to reveal -something-. Doesn't have to be everything. My guess is that they will tease and then do a proper reveal at XO19.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Of course developers in general will blow us away, but from the 3 I am only excited for Playground Games next new IP. Rare still needs to prove themselves and The Coalition first have to deliver Gears 5.

In general I think we will see consoles with almost the same ballpark of power that can be extracted from devs.

Second games will have better graphics and more simulation, but since power of PS360 I think we have a minimum standard reached where games look better, we still can be amazed, but it is in the hands of developers to create their vision.

Graphically those 3 devs smashed it this gen on inferior hardware. Sea Of Thieves, Horizon 3 and 4 and Gears 5 look unbelievable.

Just imagine what they can do with cutting edge tech

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
PS5 has that crazy SSD though so I'm no sure RAM is as important.
The Nextbox rumours from months ago have been saying it will come with an NVMe SSD. We're talking months before the Sony Wired article so there must be some truth to it as it's way too much of a coincidence that MS is alleged to have this tech and Sony comes out officially confirming they have it months later. I think its safe to say both are using this tech and its probably related to AMDs own technologies (this is speculation on my part). What Cerny explained in the article reminded me a lot of AMDs StoreMI software.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Price is what'll make the difference at launch
If both are the same price then game titles will decide the difference
Power is a good thing to show off yeah but you need games.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
makes sense, especially after the xbox one debacle. Power alone doesnt win the console race but it is a lot more important at the start of a gen than later, imo.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
The NextGen Battle is not going to be about hardware is going to be about content an that is the thing where MS should be Focus they have the most powerful console at the moment and they have been killed by the competition.

MS or SONY could get the most powerful hardware and the different (graphics) at the end will be insignificant to the common user...MS need content not keep pushing to win the hardware war.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes? I'm confused now. I agree with that too.
So again to my original point.

The poster stated that having the X wasn't helping MS/Xbox brand and went on to mention that Sony was still outselling it

I stated that if you wanted to look at it from that narrow of a perspective (ie using only comparison to Sony) that's true but overall that statement is false.

That's all I'm trying to say

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, at this point, the Xbox division is still in the red as a whole from the original Xbox forward. What's one more generation? And they'll make money off PC versions where they don't have to take a loss first to get someone to buy that copy.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, at this point, the Xbox division is still in the red as a whole from the original Xbox forward. What's one more generation? And they'll make money off PC versions where they don't have to take a loss first to get someone to buy that copy.
I thought they started to make money from the 360 era? But I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone era wiped that out again...

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm out of the loop. What's the difference between Scarlet and Anaconda, and how did we hear about these two different things?

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The question is, for people who like the "best" hardware, where will they be more powerful? TBH I like the PS5 specs and MS can improve on several small fronts, but I am hoping that they manage to differentiate significantly in some ways. A little bit more ram or a little higher clockrate compared to PS5 is not *that* exciting. I hope they bring something new (like a completely new GPU) or maybe *gasp* some kind of hardware RT.

The fact that Phil was at the AMD presentation was an indication I think of some unexpected hardware in XBox.

Exciting times.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
The NextGen Battle is not going to be about hardware is going to be about content an that is the thing where MS should be Focus they have the most powerful console at the moment and they have been killed by the competition.

MS or SONY could get the most powerful hardware and the different (graphics) at the end will be insignificant to the common user...MS need content not keep pushing to win the hardware war.
I disagree. Next gen is going to have huge graphical leaps if what Cerny said is anything to go by. Ray tracing especially is going to play a big part in games and the more powerful the hardware, the better effects you can have. 3rd party multiplat games will be the showcase for a lot of this tech and whichever console has the better graphics you can be sure they'll market the hell out of it and the consumers will know about it. Sony's whole marketing push for the PS4 initially was about the power advantage they had over the Xbox One, people knew about it and it reflected in surveys.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the announcement was going to set the cat among the pigeons. Reminds me of how Microsoft was definitely going to take the power crown last gen, how the inventors of DirectX would not allow their competitors to have a power advantage. Whatever desires MS may have also has to meet the reality of the AMD tech they're both using.

Though to be honest I don't think it matters either way. The power delta will either be so close that it doesn't matter, or the PS5 will be at a sweet spot that sails through the middle while MS is somewhat scuppered by its multiple power level SKU plans.

The only dangers for Sony I can see is if MS somehow manage to make their most powerful box cheaper than the PS5, or that their weaker machine is sufficiently cheap that it becomes a bigger success story in the US. There is a definite risk in being able to deliver on multiple simultaneous SKUs though (consumer confusion, technical issues).

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they started to make money from the 360 era? But I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone era wiped that out again...

Red Ring of Death cost them 1 billion dollars in warranty repairs.

They've had per-month and per-quarter profits, but if you could the money spent as a whole on the original Xbox forward, they still haven't crossed back over 0 to positive. If anyone has proof to the contrary, I'd be up to reading it, but they also bury the Xbox inside other divisions on their public reports for a reason.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Red Ring cost them 1 billion dollars in warranty repairs.

They've had per-month and per-quarter profits, but if you could the money spent as a whole on the original Xbox forward, they still haven't crossed back over 0 to positive. If anyone has proof to the contrary, I'd be up to reading it, but they also bury the Xbox inside other divisions on their public reports for a reason.
Yeah I imagine you're right.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scarlett is the next gen platform, Lockhart is the 1080p variant, Anaconda is the 4K variant... so we think.
Scarlet is generation name.

The rest are codenanes for different models

Scarlett is the device family, and Anaconda is the more powerful of the Scarlett range.

Ah, I see, thanks. So how sure are we? Compared to, say, everyone's surety that Metroid Prime Trilogy would be at the Game Awards last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.