• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
I want to support Microsoft, I really do. But with play anywhere, I just don't have any reason to buy an Xbox. Is it weird that a small part of me wishes that they didn't have the play anywhere program just to give me a reason to buy the machine?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I will be buying both regardless(technically 4 total, 2 each cause I game with my wife). All this "most powerful console available" means jack shit if there aren't amazing 1st party games to take advantage of said hardware. Simply having better performing 3rd party games is not really a selling point. Until Microsoft proves they know what the hell they're doing with their 1st party lineup this is all just fluff.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sure, why not. I can believe that; I don't think MS wants to get caught with their pants down again with regard to the specs of these consoles.

I'd be okay with paying $500-$600 for something that is incredibly powerful in terms of console specs.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to forget Microsofts dev kits allow you to develop one version of a game for the highest spec'd machine and at the push of a button scale it down to fit the specs of the lowest machine. It shouldnt be a problem. Stadia on the other hand. Thats a whole different thing all together.

Well, if there is a magic button...People were also saying how easy switch ports would be because of unreal supporting switch, just push the unreal switch button.

modern games are hugely complex and you are going to have issues when porting, it is just the way things are.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I want to support Microsoft, I really do. But with play anywhere, I just don't have any reason to buy an Xbox. Is it weird that a small part of me wishes that they didn't have the play anywhere program just to give me a reason to buy the machine?
You are still supporting them. MS wouldn't have done it if they thought it'd badly affect them overall.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Spencer came out and said Xbox will always aim to be the most powerful. Not sure why people are saying Anaconda won't be

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to forget Microsofts dev kits allow you to develop one version of a game for the highest spec'd machine and at the push of a button scale it down to fit the specs of the lowest machine. It shouldnt be a problem. Stadia on the other hand. Thats a whole different thing all together.
It's probably more complicated than just pushing a button.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The big discussion at that time was that the TFlop difference didn't matter because of the eSRAM secret sauce that supposedly reduced the LATENCY dramatically so that the GPU punches FAR above its weight.

And it was BS
Not really. People argued that the move engine secret sauce and esram would close the bandwidth gap giving the xb1 a clear edge in ram while the PS4 had the gpu edge. But even then, plenty of posters (and insiders) knew that wasn't going to be the case (move engines). And almost all of that talk was coming from the Polygon guy who just would not stop tweeting about the "move engines" despite being called out by posters and insiders multiple times

We're in a completely different situation this time around. There's no secret sauce talk. Based on leaks Microsoft is planning on releasing a more powerful and more expensive console than the ps5 next year. They're also going to release a less expensive and less powerful system compared to the ps5. People going "well how do they know if they don't know the PS5 specs" but it's simple. They'll just plan to price the premium console at a core, tech enthusiast price. Similar to what they did with the X

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it. Didn't they have Star Field much higher in priority?
Yeah, Starfield is first, which will reportedly be crossgen. And if we go by what Todd Howard said a few years ago about the technology not being there yet, I doubt BGS has done any real work on TES VI.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You're supporting them, if you buy a play anywhere game on PC you're still part of the Xbox ecosystem.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Literally posting fake things to counter PS5 news steam/hotness atm

They have no way to acquire such info so

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If it costs more than the PS5 and the PS5 has BC, there's no way I'm buying this thing until the first revision at the earliest.

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
MS will never not have the most powerful console ever again, also having the Lockheart cheaper than the PS5 is a pretty slick move. They can have both the power advantage and the cheaper console to undercut the PS5.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
i remember back in the day when i had tons of time on my hands and so could care about these kinds of things. good old days

funny enough i'm far better equipped to enter these discussions and argue

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
if it still has asym sticks then they can keep their better graphies, I'm good

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He dismissed the claim that sony's hardware is the best with 'no'.
He said no that Sony knows the PS5 will be more powerful, not he dismissed the claim that it will be.

He then interated that he knows MS aims to be more powerful.

No one knows how this will turn out. I think MS would have a higher end SKU, but that's just an assumption. Same as every insider for now.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

Looking at other MS hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if the premium model is that high or higher.

Major nelson
Aron Greenberg
Phil spencer
Yusef M.
That gangs all there, so if for some reason the next Xbox isn't more powerful I expect shenanigans.

Didn't the CTO of the division leave shortly after Xbox One was released? I don't think the Surface team boss, Panos Panay, was involved yet. Pretty sure Nadella had Xbox hardware move to him a year or two after the Xbox One released.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're not gonna come out weaker after they got blowed out the gate last gen.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony decides to do a single sku at $500, I'm not really sure there will be a lot of room to improve.

Regardless, I wont pass judgment on who's got better hardware until DF gets their hands on them

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Well it's a good thing they're investing in games too lol.
We shall see but im not that optimistic they can keep Ninja Theory and Halo :^P

as long as Nintendo keeps funding Platinum games and Sony keeps its playstation first and third party i don't see what Microsoft could show that would make it better choice

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Don't worry peeps both will be great!!
Yeah! It's always exciting when new consoles are on the horizon. Really hope MS new studios produce some cool new stuff.
They didn't really have anything out this gen that grabbed my attention enough to buy their console. I'm sure they are going to come out swinging compared to the xbox one reveal/launch disaster.

Oct 30, 2017
Wish they had a PPV event where Sony and Microsoft reveal their consoles and specs in a ruthless comedic fashion. They get to take turns dropping bombshells while competing in a dance battle.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
It is baffling how so many dismiss what Sony achieved with the ps4 at launch and pro 1 year prior to Xbox x and go hail Xbox. I don't doubt any of those companies want the best. But in the end its a business. I will surely go with the next Sony machine if it's around 499 and completely ignore MS's since it seems they will once again sell it for a higher price. Hopefully the studios that MS purchased can show appealing games in a couple years.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is awesome, this gen has been decisive for such a long time, it's been a while since the wars were back.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, these discussions are erily similar to last gen leading up PS4 and XB1 specs announcements. "batshit insane" even made it in. lol.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
has there been any statements from people at microsoft about them willing to take a huge loss on the system?
MS will never not have the most powerful console ever again, also having the Lockheart cheaper than the PS5 is a pretty slick move. They can have both the power advantage and the cheaper console to undercut the PS5.
that might not be a good strategy if the ps5 is much more powerful than the regular next gen xbox and cheap enough to make the more expensive xbox not seem like a good deal in comparison.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I mean, its not a new strategy...they are already doing that with the Xbox One S and the X...but its not really helping

The branding of Playstation is just too strong, on top of what Sony is actually doing to satisfy customers and get people interested in the system

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Nintendo and playstation can coexist they don't really eat into each other. Except for maybe japan.

Same with Xbox And Nintendo.

Nintendo has portability and Nintendo exclusives.

PS5 would be for the power, third parties that skip Nintendo and the exclusives. Same for Xbox. DIdnt it come out that large majority of ps and xb owners buy switch?

That's right i think, at the moment most switch owners own a ps4 or xbox. Nintendo wants to move beyond that though, with increased third party support, multiple sku's and inroads to the wider asian market

I think Sony's third party support will be their main advantage next gen. It is far and away the best of the big three. Other than that, maybe vr

Nintendo's will be price, first party, indies, retro gaming, portability, multiple skus

Microsoft's will be cloud gaming, multiple skus, power, build quality, online

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
has there been any statements from people at microsoft about them willing to take a huge loss on the system?
that might not be a good strategy if the ps5 is much more powerful than the regular next gen xbox and cheap enough to make the more expensive xbox not seem like a good deal in comparison.
No, MS won't give anything away publicly this early, outside of similarly vague stuff Sony did.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Microsoft will never again let themselves be second place in the horse power race. Even if it means selling a 600$ box. Remember, there will also be a 300-400$ version available for the masses so they can really shoot for the roof with the high end model.
Won't a lower end sku launching with higher sku mean games will be held back by the lower specd box?

Also say PS5 is 400 and xbox2 is also...that is still going to be a challenge for Ms as Sony has a huge presence going into the new gen. (bc will help alot)

Don't forget Sony's 1St party.

Ms can have their 2 skus but Sony is not really in too much "danger" of "losing".

We know the PS5 pro will come along. I think playstation will do just fine.

Pretty exciting to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
It is baffling how so many dismiss what Sony achieved with the ps4 at launch and pro 1 year prior to Xbox x and go hail Xbox. I don't doubt any of those companies want the best. But in the end its a business. I will surely go with the next Sony machine if it's around 499 and completely ignore MS's since it seems they will once again sell it for a higher price. Hopefully the studios that MS purchased can show appealing games in a couple years.

Welcome to the console war. Grab a gun and a helmet.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's guaranteed the next Xbox will be the most powerful. They've said as much that they're never going to be the lower powered console again, and it's obvious that they mean this seriously. They will open up the checkbook.

All that remains to be seen is if that also equals them eating the cost to pricematch Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.