• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Having to go halfway through the stage to reach a boss after dying is difficult and a big punishment, reminiscing of the old NES Castlevania games.

I've literally played all souls games sans DS3 and I've tried again and again with everyone of them. Specially Bloodborne. They're hard, really hard. Once you memorize them I suppose they're not but that applies to NES Silver Surfer too.

I suppose we're never getting past this conversation so yeah, I'll wait and see what this game is about. I'm definitely 100% interested but will only cave in if it's a more accesible game.
If youre going to ignore what Im trying to convey then I guess youre right, there's no point in continuing this line of discussion.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
All the new details sounds good to me except the open world part. I like open world games but I hope going open world doesn't take away from From usually incredible level design.
Do you consider Dark Souls to be an open world?

I suppose we're never getting past this conversation so yeah, I'll wait and see what this game is about. I'm definitely 100% interested but will only cave in if it's a more accesible game.
Don't think From is interested in making a more accessible game for this class of titles considering they already sell so well. Sorry.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Look if something involves dying a lot it's difficult The checkpoint placement is meant to punish, that's difficulty. There room for error is super low, that's difficulty. The controls, lore and item uses are obscure and not explained that's difficulty.

That people overcome those challenges and feel regarding to them or whatever is great, but let's call the things by their name.

I told a friend of mine once that From's design philosophy in the Soul series is one that believes in the ability of all players. I truly believe any player of any kind can overcome the sense of difficulty and beat the games. I say this because the game gives you everything you need to succeed. Every "challenge" has a solution, and the player is given great creative freedom to explore these solutions. It makes the sense of accomplishment in these games personal and special.

I mean this post as an encouragement lol. We get out of these games what we put into it. It feels amazing, I just like sharing that sentiment with others.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
It's referred to Soulsborne because Bloodborne doesn't have Souls in the title, even though it's technically a Souls game. I hate to be pedantic but there you are.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I told a friend of mine once that From's design philosophy in the Soul series is one that believes in the ability of all players. I truly believe any player of any kind can overcom
That sounds really nice haha. But... I haven't. I suppose I'm not good at From so yeah. Not all players indeed haha.

I don't see why this game has to be super hardcore as Souls unless they want to make a reputation for themselves.

Which is ironic given they've worked on games for children But whatever.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I love me some horror elements. I wonder which e3 conference this game will show up at!

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Do you consider Dark Souls to be an open world?

Don't think From is interested in making a more accessible game for this class of titles considering they already sell so well. Sorry.
No, I don't consider them open world. They do have open areas occasionally. I consider souls levels similar to the old RE games level design which is I guess "open linear"? or multi-path linear.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
While I think the difficulty of those games are way overstated because they are not the hardest skill wise, I do think they are much more punishing compared to most contemporary AAA games. The checkpoints take you further than most games, enemies respawn after death, there are no boss phases checkpoints, no attack animation cancellation, there is no compass or map to help navigation, there is no pause menu, you have one chance to get back your money/xp after death. Sure with patience and after an initial difficulty hump, the games become more manageable that still is a tough hill to climb.
While I disagree that the checkpoints take you further than other games I feel like a lot of the other points are supplemented in ome way or another by the games design, making it less that its "super difficult" and more that its different. Enemies respawning after death isn't that different than having to go through an area again after being sent back to a check point. The only real difference is that the enemies will persist to exist once you've completed the area, but at the same time, once you've completed the area the player should have the ability to easily dispatch of any opponents, either through skills gained by traversing the level or by bruteforcing it with a stronger character. Boss phase checkpoints aren't really all that common, at least in any games I've played as of late, I would argue the same goes for attack animation cancelling. And as for navigation, the levels and objectives are designed far more simply than many modern games, open world games especially to the point where I would say a map isn't really needed, theyre generally visually distinct and have a general flow meant to funmel you in the correct direction rather than wandering aimlessly like many other games would have you do had they not featured a map or compass. I would agree that these games do a poor job explaining to new players what they have to do whether it be gameplay or particular objectives (ring one bell above, and one below). But from a gameplay standpoint I don't find them to be unfair or difficult. The problem lies in the lack of handholding.
Bloodborne is not a Souls game. It's vastly different. That's like calling Bayonetta a DMC game.

Im not even going to bother arguing this again. Think what you want, but for all intents and purposes. Bloodborne is a souls game, and its considered as such internally.

Omnipotent, ok I'll make you an offer.

If the Cleveland Cavaliers win Friday to avoid a sweep to the Warriors, you spill the beans.

Do we have a deal? :)

No

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Activision is the publisher I fear the worst

Still hyped for a horror game by From Software though with some Souls Elements. Give me that lore explained through item descriptions and the fantastic level design

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Omnipotent, ok I'll make you an offer.
If the Cleveland Cavaliers win Friday to avoid a sweep to the Warriors, you spill the beans.

Do we have a deal? :)

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad logic though. Just like metroidvania. Trash genre label. Should just be metroidclone. :)

I was under the impression "Metroidvania" applied to Metroid-likes that use an XP progression system, like SotN. So, Axiom Verge wouldn't be a "Metroidvania", for example (just a "Metroid-like" or whatever), but Ori and the Blind Forest would be.

That being said, it really is a dumb label.

If Activision is the publisher I fear the worst

I don't. They're probably responsible for marketing and distribution in the west, but are hands-off with the game's actual development. Same with EA if they're the publisher.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Finally got a couple of hours of sleep, what did I miss? Did we pin down a publisher yet?

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I told a friend of mine once that From's design philosophy in the Soul series is one that believes in the ability of all players. I truly believe any player of any kind can overcome the sense of difficulty and beat the games. I say this because the game gives you everything you need to succeed. Every "challenge" has a solution, and the player is given great creative freedom to explore these solutions. It makes the sense of accomplishment in these games personal and special.

I mean this post as an encouragement lol. We get out of these games what we put into it. It feels amazing, I just like sharing that sentiment with others.

If old man Jeff Green can achieve victory, anyone can.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
While I disagree that the checkpoints take you further than other games I feel like a lot of the other points are supplemented in ome way or another by the games design, making it less that its "super difficult" and more that its different. Enemies respawning after death isn't that different than having to go through an area again after being sent back to a check point. The only real difference is that the enemies will persist to exist once you've completed the area, but at the same time, once you've completed the area the player should have the ability to easily dispatch of any opponents, either through skills gained by traversing the level or by bruteforcing it with a stronger character. Boss phase checkpoints aren't really all that common, at least in any games I've played as of late, I would argue the same goes for attack animation cancelling. And as for navigation, the levels and objectives are designed far more simply than many modern games, open world games especially to the point where I would say a map isn't really needed, theyre generally visually distinct and have a general flow meant to funmel you in the correct direction rather than wandering aimlessly like many other games would have you do had they not featured a map or compass. I would agree that these games do a poor job explaining to new players what they have to do whether it be gameplay or particular objectives (ring one bell above, and one below). But from a gameplay standpoint I don't find them to be unfair or difficult. The problem lies in the lack of handholding.

I agree with most of what you are describing here. I think the games deviate from the "standard" conventions of other games and that's imo were most of the difficulty lies. For example, I see many people still complain when they die that they have to re-kill all the enemies instead of running pass them if they wish to.
Re-boss phases checkpoints, just from the top of my head of games I played that had them this year were Bayonetta & God of War.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is not a Souls game. It's vastly different. That's like calling Bayonetta a DMC game.
It controls basically the same
It has the same type of menu
you level up the same
blood echoes are used exactly like souls but it has another name
it has the same kind of obtuse narrative and lore descriptions via items, even the same kind of cinematics and voice acting.
The same death & punishment mechanism
The same philosophy for the level design, and for bosses.
And so on in almost every way.

Yeah vastly different... it's a Souls game without Souls in the title my dude, the differences are minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Ahzrei

May 21, 2018
Uh oh we've reached neogafresetera insider vagueposting time :(

Why the long face? I live for this shit.

'Insider vagueposting' is infinitely more fun than dead silence or completely baseless speculation.

Today, we even got a few exciting tidbits. I'm fully satisfied by this thread.

Thanks guys.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Is Dino Crisis a Resident Evil game? I find it comparable to the situation between Bloodborne and Souls.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of what you are describing here. I think the games deviate from the "standard" conventions of other games and that's imo were most of the difficulty lies. For example, I see many people still complain when they die that they have to re-kill all the enemies instead of running pass them if they wish to.
Re-boss phases checkpoints, just from the top of my head of games I played that had them this year were Bayonetta & God of War.
I don't think I died to any bosses when I did my playthrough of GoW and haven't gotten around to Bayonetta yet, but now that I think about it I think Automata does have something like that depending on the boss. As for everything else I think we're pretty much in agreement. I don't consider these games to be particularly difficult based purely on their own merit, but because they have a different set of values that somewhat goes against what you're taught in many other games.

Resident Evil 4 and Breath of the Wild are more different to the rest of their respective series up to that point than Bloodborne is from Dark Souls.
Hell, Nioh's combat system alone is probably far more different from any of the souls games as a collective than any of the souls games are to each other.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OMG THIS CAN'T BE REAL!!!! I love Kuon, one of my favourite PS2 horror games, and to know this new game will take not only from Kuon BUT MOTHERFUCKING TENCHU AS WELL??????????? Well shave my back and call me an elf! Kuon + Tenchu is a dream come true.

Dude if Rikimaru or Ayame appear on-screen or something I'm gonna SCREEEAAAAAAAAMMMM

Oct 25, 2017
OMG THIS CAN'T BE REAL!!!! I love Kuon, one of my favourite PS2 horror games, and to know this new game will take not only from Kuon BUT MOTHERFUCKING TENCHU AS WELL??????????? Well shave my back and call me an elf! Kuon + Tenchu is a dream come true.

Dude if Rikimaru or Ayame appear on-screen or something I'm gonna SCREEEAAAAAAAAMMMM

DID YOU SAY TENCHU.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
I see many people still complain when they die that they have to re-kill all the enemies instead of running pass them if they wish to.

What strikes me oddly about that complaint is that you can actually run past most enemies in these games VERY easily. Unless you're really set on farming there is no need to rekill enemies. Heck, in dark souls 2 enemies even despawn if you kill them a few times lol. Just wanted to mention

signal

Oct 28, 2017
'Insider vagueposting' is infinitely more fun than dead silence or completely baseless speculation.
Whoa now.

Baseless speculation = "Shadows Die Twice will have a grappling hook and a "tormented thug" invader system"
Insider vagueposting = "heh...just wait guys......this game is going to sure be something....or maybe it won't.... ;) "

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
What strikes me oddly about that complaint is that you can actually run past most enemies in these games VERY easily. Unless you're really set on farming there is no need to rekill enemies. Heck, in dark souls 2 enemies even despawn if you kill them a few times lol. Just wanted to mention
Yeah, it just people conditioning to kill anything in their way because a lot of games would block the path until you kill all enemies.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Another interesting thing would be who is directing it, is it gonna be Miyazaki? the quality between Dark Souls 2/3 & Dark Souls/Bloodborne is obvious to say the least.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Did they seriously decide to re-boot or remake this fuckin' niche-ass horror game that no one knows about instead of any other notable franchise they worked on?

Curious to see how it plays.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa now.

Baseless speculation = "Shadows Die Twice will have a grappling hook and a "tormented thug" invader system"
Insider vagueposting = "heh...just wait guys......this game is going to sure be something....or maybe it won't.... ;) "
When I get any more specific 65 youtubers and games media outlets pick up my comments, misinterpret them and spread them to an even wider audience, which can be a headache to say the least. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry. But I feel like Ive given you guys plenty of actual info over the past like, 6 months lol. Reveal is in a few days and we'll all have more to chew on.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I get any more specific 65 youtubers and games media outlets pick up my comments, misinterpret them and spread them to an even wider audience, which can be a headache to say the least. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry. But I feel like Ive given you guys plenty of actual info over the past like, 6 months lol. Reveal is in a few days and we'll all have more to chew on.
Can you at least corroborate with Dusk and agree the game takes from both Kuon and Tenchu?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah not really criticizing you as obviously people with real info can't just post it online. Sometimes the things that people do end up posting are hilariously vague though.

Besides, those youtubers will still make videos about your comments no matter how vague, so carry on!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder if the open world part of this influenced which publisher they approached. A big western publisher would probably be able to help From in that department. Then it can also be smaller scale open world where the publisher is all hands off. Damn so many questions..

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Any way I answer that is going to cause the exact issue Im trying to avoid right now lol.

Yeah not really criticizing you as obviously people with real info can't just post it online. Sometimes the things that people do end up posting are hilariously vague though.

Besides, those youtubers will still make videos about your comments no matter how vague, so carry on!

The burdens I must carry to bring you guys the fire from the gods.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the level of details you provided us. You vehemently denied that it is BB2 saving us from the eventual disappointment of it not being revealed at E3 and left enough intrigue and mystery of what the game is to keep the announcement exciting.

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crying this is the best week ever
You've got no idea, I've not only been playing all of the Tenchu games this week (I made a community |OT| a couple of days ago!) but I've dug out all the physical walkthroughs and both my Rikimaru and Ayame statues all in anticipation that this teaser might be Tenchu related. Hopefully I can finish the final 3 Tenchu games before E3 conferences...

But yeah, it's one of my favourite franchises ever, I've been waiting a veeeeery long time for a new Tenchu game.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Bayonetta and DMC fall under the same classification...
What, character action game? Action adventure game?
[QUOTE="Omnipotent, post: 8814697,

Im not even going to bother arguing this again. Think what you want, but for all intents and purposes. Bloodborne is a souls game, and its considered as such internally.
[/QUOTE]

They share a lot, but it's different enough to stand on its own, so I don't consider it a Souls game, at all.

Ahzrei

May 21, 2018
Whoa now.

Things I learned today:

Kuon influence confirmed.
Bloodborne is considered a 'Souls' game internally.
SDT is being published by a large western publisher (Actvision seems likeliest to me.)
I was already confident in this, but this is the first time I've heard reliable confirmation that SDT is 100% NOT Bloodborne.

Besides this actual information, this thread is just fun to read.

I'm not seeing a downside to insider vagueposting, personally.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
hopefully this puts an end to all the BB2 talk, and the non believers can settle with the fact that it isn´t BB2...and that its a Kuon spiritual successor was clear from the point the sound jingle played in the teaser video which is the same jingle as in original Kuon...don´t know why so many people ignored this fact or didn´t bother looking into it. The same sound jingle is even found in the ORIGINAL Kuon trailer...

Ahzrei

May 21, 2018

I appreciate you.