• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
When the original Halo was released it was unlike anything else that had been done in a shooter before. The wide open, non-linear environments. The graphics. The story. It was a game changer for the genre, and it helped define the original Xbox as a console.

Halo:Infinite is being positioned as a return to form for Halo, and somewhat of a reboot. The teaser for the game has showcased large environments with a new engine being utilized.

However...this game is going to be available on the Xbox One. The PC and next-gen Xbox versions will undoubtedly look better, but it makes you wonder what this game could have been had it been developed from the ground up for the next generation Xbox.

There is no small difference between the Xbox One and whatever console Microsoft will be releasing next year. We'll be going from 8 Jaguar cores, 8 GB of DDR3, and a 5400 RPM hard drive, to a modern 8 core Zen 2 CPU, 16+ GB of GDDR6 RAM, and a (likely) NVME SSD. That is an absolutely massive increase in computational power. The possibilities that are opened up by the next-gen hardware in terms of environment size, complexity, AI, dynamic systems, etc, are incredible, and completely outclass the current gen systems.

Part of me is honestly a little disappointed that Halo:Infinite isn't going to be the next-gen "killer app" that really shows off what the next Xbox can do. Sure, it may end up being a great game, but I'll always wonder what could have been knowing that this game was likely limited in scope and scale by needing to run on the antiquated Xbox One hardware.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think everyone is expecting the game to be targeting scarlett specs

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
They'd be silly to artificially limit their audience - even if it means artificially limiting the game.

Hunter C

Jun 4, 2018
I can't help but agree with you... Even If the user base wouldn't necessarily be there, I would have preferred it to be next gen/PC only... It's a shame.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's a mistake to put it on xbone. They need software that showcases a reason to own next gen hardware. I think when customers compare halo:infinite to what Sony puts out there is going to be a difference and it's going to hurt them.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What are they supposed to do? They should release this on One and on Scarlett. It's not that deep. There's a big market out there that will still have the One.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's disappointing that the game will be designed for Jaguar and HDDs but it's understandable that they wouldn't want to miss out on the XB1 install base.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to bet 343 is only working on the next Xbox version, while an external developer will handle the One port. Like Forza Horizon 2.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
your wording doesn't match the question
anyway....

huge mistake IMO
should have been a launch title for next gen

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
It looks pretty incredible visually from what they have shown already. I would be completely okay with playing what we got in that e3 trailer. It looks next gen to me. Bigger population is also awesome.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
I mean, rewind this back a few years and you'd probably see "Should Nintendo be developing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U?" That turned out ok, despite being developed for two platforms.

I know the scenario isn't exactly the same, but I'm not particularly worried at this point. But, we haven't really seen much of it in action so far to know the broader implications to Microsoft's decision...

Also, most wouldn't argue that a high-end looking PC game is being held back because it also offers lower-end graphics options. I think that's probably the closest comparison - Microsoft will clearly be wanting to show how much better Halo: Infinite looks on Scarlett in the run up to launch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're making a mistake. If it works on XB1 (and, clearly, it was designed for it), it works. Why limit it to the new-gen platform? If the scope of it grows beyond what the XB1 can do, then I'm sure they'll have no problem cancelling that version.

I have little doubt they'll do whatever's best for the game, I don't really understand how it could be a mistake. Developing for the Xbox One when the game started development was likely the only choice they had, so not a mistake. Maybe the scope will expand now that they've seen Scarlett, but if it doesn't organically become impossible to do on XB1, why artificially limit yourself to Scarlett? And if your suggestion is that they should revise the scope of the game, reboot development to make it into something designed for the ground up for Scarlett, my thought would be that THAT sounds like a costly and risky move.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Crossgen games aren't anything new. Better to have the game available to more people than the folks that just want to buy the new hardware, they stand to make more money that way.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I thought it would be playable on the XB1 through streaming? Not going to lie, if it needs to run on a 2012 console, I'm suddently much less interested in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If they cant make a fun, engaging halo on xbox one, then fuck them? I still go back and play halo ce and love it. They can make an engaging campaign without needing a crazy amount of nextgen secret sauce.

Oct 30, 2017
Why not sale to a massive install base? Artificially locking your game behind a $400-500 upgrade doesn't seem very fiscally responsible.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I don't think the BOTW example works here, the Switch offered a parallel proposition to the Wii U which made it worth it to pick the game up on it over Wii U.
Which is not the case with Xbox One->Scarlett to the best of our knowledge right now.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
BOTW on switch allowed people to play a console game on the go with just as good/ better graphics.
This is different. There isn't as big of a benefit.

Not letting more people play a game without buying new hardware isn't a benefit? There's 40+ Million X1's out there. I think that's more than enough of a benefit.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I think it depends on what Microsoft wants:

If they want to sell more game pass/gold subscriptions & continue to bring recurring revenue, then making it compatible with Xbox One is a great idea

If they want to sell more Scarlett units to compete heavily with the PS5 in the west, then they shouldn't have talked about "forward compatibility" at all this gen and made it an exclusive Scarlett launch title.

I think it's obvious that Microsoft wants the former rather than the latter

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're promoting bad the biggest title they have because anxiety of contention, as always. A game that would show up with the newest machine could get attention.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Confusing poll options. Answer YES to question in thread title? Make sure to carefully read the subheading and vote NO in the poll!

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Hard to say without actually know what Infinite is about exactly. Like, we literally know nothing in terms of gameplay.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a greater mistake to alienate your user base that is still going to be on the Xbox One for a while. Then again, if there is ever going to be a launch title that is going to make people jump into the next Xbox, it's Halo.

So, uh, I don't know. I ain't really an expert.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Crossgen games aren't anything new. Better to have the game available to more people than the folks that just want to buy the new hardware, they stand to make more money that way.
Yup.

See: GTAV. Sold a shitload of copies (and looked amazing) on "old" consoles, then basically got everyone to double-dip with a next gen release the following year.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I remind myself of this before I get lost in some grand visions of what Halo Infinite can be. It really is a bummer if you ask me. I don't blame them at all though.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I need to see the gameplay loop before I can decide. Both Halo combat and open world can be done on current gen. Current Halo movement isn't fast enough to create a load bottleneck for open world design. But this is all speculation based on nothing.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Not letting more people play a game without buying new hardware isn't a benefit? There's 40+ Million X1's out there. I think that's more than enough of a benefit.
But the argument is the trade off of benefits.
By releasing the game on xbone, are they lessening the value of the game? Are they lessening the value of Scarlet.
For BOTW, the answer was no. There was a clear reason to still get it on switch even though there was little difference between graphics on both systems.
For Halo:I, there may not be if the only difference is lower resolution and less effects.
It means less of a reason to buy new hardware for it.
It's about perceived value

Dec 25, 2018
The games coming to PC too, where it'll have to be scalable for a range of specs as well. The One/OneX will probably just be the equivilant of playing the pc version on a lower spec'd machine,

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect games to be forward and backwards compatible next gen, so we'll probably see this for awhile.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Should have been Scsrlett only with a 2 month gamepass free coupan.

Oh regular Xbox can't even handle Destiny 2 with out dips.

If anything it should only release on the X in regards to older systems

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I mean same could be said for Sonys biggest franchise tlou2, which will get a remaster* next year or after for ps5

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more than okay with it if it runs properly on a launch Xbox One. Part of the reason that I was always leaning towards a PS4 (even before Microsoft imploded) was because they supported the PS3 right 'til the end with great games, something Microsoft didn't do with the Xbox or the Xbox 360. Not abandoning the Xbox One is part of what they need to do to persuade me that they're going to provide games throughout a generation.