• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Mr Sandman is black and, well, Donkey Kong is a monkey.

I'm sure it's innocent on their part, but, yeah...that's a racial slur in a lot of the world.
Donkey Kong is actually the final fight in Punch-Out!! Wii, so I imagine it was intended to be a reference to that.

That said, Sakurai clearly didn't think it through. That is very in bad taste.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, that was forced up her vagina.

What are the chances Sakurai even knows about that one though? That bit of lore was inferred, the main bomb was in her stomach (the one we see being removed) and then she says there's "another" but it's never explicitly said- it's an obscure thing and most people playing would never have picked up on the other bomb being in her vagina. It's only well known here because we are an enthusiast forums and word gets around.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances Sakurai even knows about that one though? That bit of lore was inferred, the main bomb was in her stomach (the one we see being removed) and then she says there's "another" but it's never explicitly said- it's an obscure thing and most people playing would never have picked up on the other bomb being in her vagina. It's only well known here because we are an enthusiast forums and word gets around.
It's true, we don't know if Sakurai actually played the games and he could've just been handed a vague reference in note form. As for your second point, I wouldn't call it obscure, anyone who played the game would've figured it out. There's only so many ways you can interpret "There's another... in my..." followed by Snake looking down at her crotch and then back up shocked.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
So, let me get this straight. Nintendo decided to reference a character having a bomb forced up her vagina (after being tortured, gang raped, having her child friend forced to rape her, and never mind the fact that she then tried to rape the same boy on her own later because Kojima) and people think it's hilarious and shouldn't be changed? The fuck is going on here?
You should bench press 200 lbs and get a man fired!

Oct 28, 2017
Oh they knew exactly what they were doing.

Kids who play the game aren't gonna pick up on it. It's an (extremely dark) inside joke for Metal Gear fans. That's all.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So, let me get this straight. Nintendo decided to reference a character having a bomb forced up her vagina (after being tortured, gang raped, having her child friend forced to rape her, and never mind the fact that she then tried to rape the same boy on her own later because Kojima) and people think it's hilarious and shouldn't be changed? The fuck is going on here?

What people think is funny is the existence of this reference.
No one thinks that the actual event that its referring to is funny.

You should learn the difference.

Also you're focusing way too much on the rape/ and sexual abuse aspect of the reffered instance. The reference would stay the same even if she didn't get the bomb inserted into her via her vagina.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
This is obviously intentional in a game where it has extreme attention to character detail.
Come on now

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What people think is funny is the existence of this reference.
No one thinks that the actual event that its referring to is funny.

You should learn the difference.

Also you're focusing way too much on the rape/ and sexual abuse aspect of the reffered instance. The reference would stay the same even if she didn't get the bomb inserted into her via her vagina.
I think it's a problematic reference. They could've done something else, but they chose instead to do this. I think they made a wrong decision. I'm not expecting it to be changed, but I will still criticise it.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

Gamers

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It really seems like when viewed in the context of the fight with her spirit, it's referencing the Peace Walker final boss more than anything else...

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018

It's gamers. Misogyny and "lol, rape, no biggie" is par for the course.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
With some of the replies in this thread I had to double check to make sure I didn't somehow stumble into that other site... ugh...

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Btw it could also be referencing PW ending, where she steals a nuke and fights you in a metal gear.
Most Metal Gear's spirit fights feature a giant Rob acting as a metal gear.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo has a few weird references in the game so I don't doubt it was intentional.

There's one mission where you fight the Rabbid Mario spirit and Mario uses a gun to fight but he's also dressed in Red White and Blue.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

What in the fuck did I just read? All of this happens?

If so wow. Kojima is embarassing.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
It's on purpose, obviously, and very, very funny. It's the Mr Sandman from Punch Out/Donkey Kong WoL battle that you guys should probably be more concerned about.
Really shouldn't be concerned about that at all as DK has history with Little Mac/Punch Out and was the final boss in the Wii version.

Y'all really looking for shit with these spirits

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
YAqXGTt.jpg

:D

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I found Paz treatment in Ground Zeroes to be absolutely horrific and it still upsets me to this day, but it doesn't make it being referenced in a Smash Bros game any less funny. It's not the Ground Zeroes event that are funny, it's the fact that such event are referenced in a Smash game, and in such a way (a fucking bob-omb!). And it's not ha ha funny, it's just shocking. I really feel like this is obvious, but since I'm seeing people already coming out with the old "gamers, what did I expect" might as well spell it out.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Ground Zeroes was weirdly dark. Like, TPP was too but GZ still feels like the odd one out. Maybe they recognized that it was a bit overboard?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Smash needs funny "I Spit On Your Grave" references and that part of GZ isnt far away from that. Smash really is fine without cheekily referencing the brutal rape of a badly abused female character that ended with a fucking vaginal bomb.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ground Zeroes was weirdly dark
...I mean that's what Kojima was going for...? He famously said that the game would tackle many taboos, subject matter would be grim and that there was a risk it wouldn't even release at all. Too bad the execution was fucking horrible aye?
During a round table interview in February 2013, Hideo Kojima spoke about how Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes may be too taboo heavy and deal with such grim subject matter that he may not be able to get it published, and even if it does get published, it may not sell.

Hideo Kojima: "I'm going to be targeting a lot of taboos, a lot of mature themes that really are quite risky,"

"I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to release the game, and even if I did release the game then maybe it wouldn't sell because it's too much. As a creator I want to take that risk."

"Video games as a medium haven't matured very much at all in the last 25 years," Kojima explained. "It's always about killing aliens and zombies. Not that I don't like those kinds of games... they are fun, but I think games have a long way to go before they can mature."

"Over the past 25 years I have tried to work with the Metal Gear series to introduce more mature themes, but really it hasn't gotten there yet. Compared to movies and books it still has a long way to go... That's precisely what I want to try to tackle with Ground Zeroes."

"I'm approaching the project as a creator and prioritising creativity over sales"

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
I think many here are being offended by something that is not even clear yet. I forgot how on the internet of today is impossible to say anything without offending someone, someway. Just relax, investigate a bit more before taking the pitchforks out lol.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be one of the most beautifully fucked up references I've ever seen. And in Smash of all things. Goddamn.

Oct 29, 2017
I found Paz treatment in Ground Zeroes to be absolutely horrific and it still upsets me to this day, but it doesn't make it being referenced in a Smash Bros game any less funny. It's not the Ground Zeroes event that are funny, it's the fact that such event are referenced in a Smash game, and in such a way (a fucking bob-omb!). And it's not ha ha funny, it's just shocking. I really feel like this is obvious, but since I'm seeing people already coming out with the old "gamers, what did I expect" might as well spell it out.

It's basically just like the Lost meme in that regard. It's not the subject matter that is funny, it's the context behind its use that is funny.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda gross tbh, even if they were referencing the stomach bomb and not the other one.

I almost feel like Japanese game devs are too removed from what the global society thinks is acceptable so then we get tone deaf stuff like this.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously intentional and it's a shame to see willfully controversial Kojima idiocy pop up in a Nintendo game.

Children won't get it, until they read game websites that explain it, or watch a youtuber who explains or references it or one of their friends does and then explains it to everyone in their peer group who has the game.
I guess what I'm saying is kids will get it and it would be naive to think otherwise.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It's pretty obviously intentional but I don't really get the shock.

It's referencing a thing that happened in Kojima's bad writing. Blame Kojima, not the people making fun of it.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
It's a huge stretch to say this reference is making fun of the vagina bomb or rape or anything like that. Yeah, that's all relevant to the events of Ground Zeroes, but all this references is that she died from a bomb that was unknowingly placed inside of her. It would be the same if they made a spirit from that guy who had the bomb placed inside of him in The Dark Knight. As for why people find it so funny, it's because that super dark situation is juxtaposed with the cutesy world of Smash Bros. It's more due to the shock of it than anything else.

Even "gamers" don't find the situation Paz went through funny, so it's a little disingenuous to get up in arms about people not approaching this with the utmost gravitas. I do think what happened to Paz was an example of Kojima "going too far in a few places", but that's on him.

Oct 27, 2017
It's great subtle dark joke that works only for those who are aware of context, and invisible for kids. Just like those jokes in Pixar films.

People aren't finding rape funny, they're finding the fact a character violently killed by a bomb grants the player a bomb. It's more Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett than "lmao misogyny".

Exactly this, but apparenlty you can't use black humor without offending someone. There will be controversy about it, Kotaku would write article with title "SHOCKING VAGINA BOMB REFERENCE IN NEW SMASH", and this joke will be patched out. Another huge win for videogame culture.