• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Was it outright rigged? No. But opposition leaders were jailed and murdered, police and the military cracked down on opposition rallies and messaging, the courts ignored Bolsonaro blatantly breaking election laws in so many ways. So it was not legit.
What opposition learder was murdered?

As much as im sad by this result (and im pretty fucking sad) almost all of this never happened.

People were dumb and voted for him, thats what happened

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The great blind spot of representative democracy is it has no protections against itself.

If enough voters are convinced to vote for people that want to dismantle democratic systems, what does anyone do to stop it? Threaten said people with being voted out? I think the problem with that is obvious...

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Heartbreaking. The world is making a collective sharp turn towards a fascist catastrophe.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Stay safe Brazil-era. Hopefully this won't end in a complete dictatorship takeover.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
The global fascism threat is real
It's going to be so much more than a threat once the climate starts to really change. Less food, longer droughts, etc. Look how easy these fascist scumbags fool people already. It won't be hard for them to get the power once millions of migrants come knocking. Europe will definitely become all out fascist and not allow anyone in. We are so fucked.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive of concerns of historical context and current implications of fascist ideology. History of severe infractions and similar behaviour.
Far-right. Not fascist.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
I'm feeling defeated.

People are actually cheering, there's fireworks everywhere, it's so scary.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
where's those articles about how business leaders and the middle class and wealthy were "begrudgingly" supporting him? big business loves fascism.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Trump is probably pissed that there is no direct road from Brazil to Mexico, otherwise he'd have another caravan to fear monger about.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
It is bonkers how prescient Revenge of the Sith was.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think most Americans here aren't aware that Brazil was a military dictatorship little more than 30 years ago and those roots directly lead into the current situation.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I did my part... even though the opposition was from the same shitty party that ruled Brazil for 16 years, I voted for them because I consider corruption an evil that smaller than what I'm assuming that will happen with Bolso in power, even though I'm hoping that it's just words from a crazy man...

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I honestly feel like this is a direct result of the failures of The Olympics and Word Cup.
It's so much more than that. Back in 2013, some humoristic journalists interviewed him to show how incompetent our parliamentary politicians were. They wanted to show how big a jome Jair Bolsonaro was. Then came the memes, and little by little he got big enough to be regarded as a legend by younger "white" men. His popularity never stopped rising, and both traditional and social media turned him into this larger-than-life figure, some sort of unwaveringly honest man against the sea of corruption that Brazilian politics were, even though he had been a politician for over 24 years and had never done anything worth noticing during all that time. Traditional politicians and parties lost all credibility they had with constant attacks by the media. His supporters started a huge wave of misinformation that smeared his adversaries' images and promptly defused any controversy surrounding him.

What happened today is the result of a coup that's been going on for five years. An endless stream of manipulation, fake news, political persecution and social hysteria.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People, I just want to say I love everyone from this community. I'm sad, exhausted but most of all dissappointed. I just hope that we and our loved ones stay safe. As someone that recently came out as a non-binary person to my family and saw resistence from some of them but also love I just hope we can find above all safety and happiness. I'm sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get some things out of my chest.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
Was it outright rigged? No. But opposition leaders were jailed and murdered, police and the military cracked down on opposition rallies and messaging, the courts ignored Bolsonaro blatantly breaking election laws in so many ways. So it was not legit.
That's misleading. It was as legit as a brazilian election can be (incredibly corrupt and full of lies).

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
How much power does state level government hold in Brazil? Will more liberal areas be able to resist Bolsonaro? Is it the same rural conservatives VS urban liberals situation that we have in the US?

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit. This will only get worse.
I just hope Brazil gets out on the other side of this in a way that makes recovery possible.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People, I just want to say I love everyone from this community. I'm sad, exhausted but most of all dissappointed. I just hope that we and our loved ones stay safe. As someone that recently came out as a non-binary person to my family and saw resistence from some of them but also love I just hope we can find above all safety and happiness. I'm sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get some things out of my chest.

*hugs* almost half of the country voted against him, we're not alone.
Love to you and everyone here as well.

Oct 25, 2017
It is essentially a never ending cycle. The pendulum on a global scale has shifted dangerously towards fascistic or fascist wanna be ideologies with the chanting of "nationalism" being taken to mean "patriotism". People never fucking learn. Between global climate change and its effects of access to edible and non edible resources, rising sea levels, existing global conflicts, unchecked corruption and greed, religious fundamentalism, discrediting of evidence based science and facts et al, the only intervention is an acute and sudden global cataclysm.

If things don't swing back soon, we're absolutely heading to a major global catastrophe. You always read about these giant conflicts and they feel so far away, but humanity has been making the same mistakes since they came on the scene and we'll probably never change until the bitter end.