stupei

Oct 26, 2017
We certainly didn't see the same things. His former wife becomes jealous of the AI halfway in the film. The main theme is how some men want companionship in their life, something that doesn't even necessarily involve physical sex. The main character is looking for his second half after the disaster that his divorce represented. The machine helps him to get back on tracks and find happiness. Like I said it comes from the pygmalion myth that isn't exactly new, and it's also present in the Bible with Eve being made from Adam's side.

It's a great movie because it can be read in different ways, is the machine trying to betray humans by being exactly what he want her to be (something that isn't true several times in the movie and in the finale) or it can be read as a long epistolary relationship, something that doesn't involve physical contact and yet fullfill each other's need. He doesn't want to go back with his ex-wife at the end of the movie, and it's unclear what's next for him. But I certainly wouldn't say that he looks emptier as the movie goes on, it's almost the exact opposite. He goes back on track thanks to this artificial companionship.

You misunderstand my point, because I agree that he improves his state of mind by the end of the film, but I think it is distinctly not because of the AI. The movie was at least in part Spike Jonze's response to his former wife's own film, Lost in Translation, which is partially about a woman dealing with an emotionally distant and unavailable husband. He was taking responsibility for his own part in their marriage falling apart, as seen through his main character admitting to and owning up to his faults by film's end. It's interesting that you read her character as being jealous and not, you know, reasonably concerned by his inability to deal with his problems realistically.

He has to want to improve and care for himself, separate from wanting to be with his ex or wanting to be with the AI that didn't love him the way he wanted either, in order to reach happiness. The AI doesn't make him better. He made himself better. And admittedly it does treat the AI as a rebound relationship that kind of helps someone put what they are missing in their own life into perspective, but he very explicitly doesn't find the fulfillment he is seeking until after she's gone away and he is forced to evaluate who he is outside of either relationship.

Which is all to say: dating a fake person isn't going to make this guy better or happier.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
For those that are curious, the "hologram" aspect of Miku is from the Gatebox, a personal assistant device kind of like Amazon Echo that texts you when you're out of the house.

The Joi comparisons from Blade Runner 2049 are pretty accurate.

That final scene, with the hologram looking over him with sadness in her eyes. Depressing as fuck.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
You misunderstand my point, because I agree that he improves his state of mind by the end of the film, but I think it is distinctly not because of the AI. The movie was at least in part Spike Jonze's response to his former wife's own film, Lost in Translation, which is partially about a woman dealing with an emotionally distant and unavailable husband. He was taking responsibility for his own part in their marriage falling apart, as seen through his main character admitting to and owning up to his faults by film's end. It's interesting that you read her character as being jealous and not, you know, reasonably concerned by his inability to deal with his problems realistically.

He has to want to improve and care for himself, separate from wanting to be with his ex or wanting to be with the AI that didn't love him the way he wanted either, in order to reach happiness. The AI doesn't make him better. He made himself better. And admittedly it does treat the AI as a rebound relationship that kind of helps someone put what they are missing in their own life into perspective, but he very explicitly doesn't find the fulfillment he is seeking until after she's gone away and he is forced to evaluate who he is outside of either relationship.

Which is all to say: dating a fake person isn't going to make this guy better or happier.

You're evacuating the whole "can a AI think like a human being" ambiguity, the main character isn't the only one to have doubts, as the machine would like to improve their relation by being more physical for him, but that's not what he's looking for. I think you could read this as a love story between two person that are unable to have normal physical interaction, you could understand this as a long distance relationship or as with someone who has some kind of handicap. The movie doesn't answer to the question "Is she almost human, or just faking it?" and it goes both way for the entire film. His ex wife is partly jealous and humiliated to be replaced by something she considers as a machine, especially considering her former husband is at that point in a better mood and shape.

He didn't improve by himself, he needed the help of the machine to recover and find back what he wanted in a relationship. The physical limits of the machine ends up mattering and explain the "break up" at the end, but the movie is open ended and can let you think that all in all, the machines and humans manage to have both souls and hints what could be understood as "let's meet again in the afterlife".

It's funny how polarizing this movie is. I've met both people thinking that the machine is just a dumb machine faking to be human, while other think otherwise. I think that him being a writer for people unable to write correctly their feelings goes in the long distance angle and the relationship he maintains with the "machine".

If the machine ever becomes sentient, should we belittle them because they don't have a human body? I'd like to have your input on this.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think this though?

Is it because that's how you feel and think so he has to feel the same way?

From what I see he looks content and happy but I'm sure people talking down on him and feeling sad for him like hes a loser because of how he live his life is sure doing a lot for his self esteem
'looks content'? You think it is possibile to determine one's emotions by looking at them? I don't think he's happy. He's coping, which is a whole lot different than being happy. Because it all come down to this: do you think he's CHOOSING this over getting married with a real woman? Choosing as in ' I could marry a real woman, but I choose not to and marry a doll instead' way. Not in a 'I won't ever be able to marry a real woman, so I'll make do with a doll' way

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
If the machine ever becomes sentient, should we belittle them because they don't have a human body? I'd like to have your input on this.
Man, this is moot: such an advanced and possibily sentient machine isn't the one this guy has married. Probably in the future machines WILL be sentient... and thus able to express their WILL. And then, this will be a really interesting discussion to have, one when I'll probably agree with you. But that's a topic for another time. Right now you have a man married to a toy

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
For those that are curious, the "hologram" aspect of Miku is from the Gatebox, a personal assistant device kind of like Amazon Echo that texts you when you're out of the house.

The Joi comparisons from Blade Runner 2049 are pretty accurate.

I remember this... so she keeps in touch with you. Keeps you company away from home. Watches a movie with you... etc.

Have they incorporated this program with VR Devices?

Some can laugh.. but man, for many over there... they are living their dreams.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't wanna be alone but they also don't wanna put in the work. Is what it is. Society is trending further toward this.
sounds about right, are there any studies on this? This is part of my mental thoughts that I haven't really been able to explain yet. Being afraid of commitment is close but doesn't really explain it all.

Best was a book that I have read on the topic of relationship mentalities divided people into categories with me ending up in the categories that makes it almost impossible to find a right fit. Gave up and settled for one night stands or prostitutes for the foreseeable future. I'll be 25 next month though and at this age more and more girls are getting interested in me without me trying. I wasted so many women's' time by not wanting to commit so I really want to change this part of me before the next time I start the process of dating again.

Last edited:

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leading the way for the rest of us. *salute*

Hold on, gonna break up with my gf.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
Man, this is moot: such an advanced and possibily sentient machine isn't the one this guy has married. Probably in the future machines WILL be sentient... and thus able to express their WILL. And then, this will be a really interesting discussion to have, one when I'll probably agree with you. But that's a topic for another time. Right now you have a man married to a toy

Right now he's a man who had problems with women and want to show he's over them by dedicating his attention to an object yeah. It's a vengeful move that can be satisfying, but I don't see acceptance of your own loneliness as a problem in itself. It's the form that is surprising, but it can be fullfilling in its own way.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Once AI is advanced enough and tech can produce an artificial body similar enough to fool the human mind our population is going to dwindle. Surely this will save the planet

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
You're evacuating the whole "can a AI think like a human being" ambiguity, the main character isn't the only one to have doubts, as the machine would like to improve their relation by being more physical for him, but that's not what he's looking for. I think you could read this as a love story between two person that are unable to have normal physical interaction, you could understand this as a long distance relationship or as with someone who has some kind of handicap. The movie doesn't answer to the question "Is she almost human, or just faking it?" and it goes both way for the entire film. His ex wife is partly jealous and humiliated to be replaced by something she considers as a machine, especially considering her former husband is at that point in a better mood and shape.

He didn't improve by himself, he needed the help of the machine to recover and find back what he wanted in a relationship. The physical limits of the machine ends up mattering and explain the "break up" at the end, but the movie is open ended and can let you think that all in all, the machines and humans manage to have both souls and hints what could be understood as "let's meet again in the afterlife".

It's funny how polarizing this movie is. I've met both people thinking that the machine is just a dumb machine faking to be human, while other think otherwise. I think that him being a writer for people unable to write correctly their feelings goes in the long distance angle and the relationship he maintains with the "machine".

What exists today isn't even close to sentient, so asking questions that are not currently relevant about where lonely people are currently channeling their energy really does a disservice to how much deeper someone like this is digging himself into a hole. Pretending that it's the same as loving or being loved by a thinking being because a movie posited an idea about a theoretical future is kind of disingenuous. He doesn't need to date someone. Channel emotional energy into human relationships with friends and you'll receive real feedback from something capable of actually valuing you.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Right now he's a man who had problems with women and want to show he's over them by dedicating his attention to an object yeah. It's a vengeful move that can be satisfying, but I don't see acceptance of your own loneliness as a problem in itself. It's the form that is surprising, but it can be fullfilling in its own way.
But he's NOT accepting it. If he was, he wouldn't have the need to dedicate his attention to anything, and wouldn't marry the hologram. If he was accepting his loneliness, he would just be leading a lonely and yet happy life by himself. He's not though. He's living with an object which imitates (quite poorly) an human being. Which imitates human interaction. That's not accepting it (and quite rightfully so in my opinion, 'cause loneliness sucks): that's coping.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Would it be funny to say it's for tax reasons? I can really only think of something thatdtbe a gag in a show or something.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You know, these days this isn't remotely as shocking or embarrassing as any random news story about the President of the United States...

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
Pretending that it's the same as loving or being loved by a thinking being because a movie posited an idea about a theoretical future is kind of disingenuous.

Replace the machine with a tetraplegic person and it's the same movie though. A harsher one, granted, but it's the same idea going through but without the machine barrier.

We're going off tracks here because it's certainly not the same subject, but dissing the machine for being a machine seems short sighted to me in the context of the movie.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
But he's NOT accepting it. If he was, he wouldn't have the need to dedicate his attention to anything, and wouldn't marry the hologram. If he was accepting his loneliness, he would just be leading a lonely and yet happy life by himself. He's not though. He's living with an object which imitates (quite poorly) an human being
He's doing that to own the women who bullied him. It's a strange way to deal with it, but if he didn't make it official, it wouldn't come off as a revenge. It's definitely strange, but harmless at the end of the day.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
He's doing that to own the women who bullied him. It's a strange way to deal with it, but if he didn't make it official, it wouldn't come off as a revenge. It's definitely strange, but harmless at the end of the day.
I don't think it's harmless to himself. He's digging a hole from which he may never be able to climb out

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

That sweet, sweet self-harming revenge. Isolating yourself emotionally and mentally to own the ladies.

Replace the machine with a tetraplegic person and it's the same movie though. A harsher one, granted, but it's the same idea going through but without the machine barrier.

We're going off tracks here because it's certainly not the same subject, but dissing the machine for being a machine seems short sighted to me in the context of the movie.

I'm really not going to touch this.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/20...widow-marry-pet-goat-carmelita_n_3872016.html
A 74-year-old retired bricklayer is preparing to tie the knot - with a goat.
Aparecido Castaldo will marry his pet goat of five years, Carmelita next month.
The widower, who is a father to eight children told Brazilian newspaper Paraiba: "When someone says it's wrong, I reply the goat does not speak, ask for money to go shopping and doesn't get pregnant."

"This is not the first goat he has, because he likes animals. He just needs a companion. There will be no intercourse between the two."
Carmelita ate her first wedding dress, but another is being sourced for her in São Paulo, Bom Dia reports.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's a common hole of loneliness as one in fourth Japanase man are still unmarried at the age fifty.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...n-still-unmarried-age-50-report/#.W-n5MRiIY0M

I'm going to really insist that I think investing emotionally in friendships with other humans would be more fulfilling and rewarding for these lonely guys than isolating themselves further from society by investing in a relationship that's only going to lead them to feeling more ostracized and outside the acceptable norm.

From what I read, he is a school administrator and doesn't have any problem to earn a living. Don't pity him.

Money isn't happiness.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You feel sad for him because hes happy?

Why is that hard to understand? He's in love with an inanimate object.

I think it's sad when someone is in love with people that abuse them, or don't love them back, or just don't value them the way they deserve. Or they love someone who cheats or something of the sort.

It's also bad when men objectify women. So when you remove women from the equation and give them actual objects to marry, it's even worse.

I think it's safe to say that an inanimate object cannot love you back. It does not give you genuine intimacy. It does not care about you. It's even worse than marrying someone who treats you poorly. It's a rejection of all forms of genuine intimacy.

There's many, many reasons why this is sad. To say "I see nothing wrong here" is trying to be accepting of all walks of life to a fault. I cetainly would not encourage any friends of mine to marry a product you can buy on amazon. It's not about judgment. It's about seeing some serious red flags and simply acknowledging them for what they are.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
Money isn't happiness.

Constantly fearing that your relationship turn wrong, having reponsibilities to hold for no other reason but because society pushes you into marrying and having children, is not that enviable either.
You should look for women expectations in japan. It's no rocket science if the numbers keep growing, having a wife and a kid in today's japan is less and less enviable.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Do we need to start worrying about not only the subject in question but some people in this thread

Eh, I'll ask Cortana

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it makes him happy, then it's all good. I'm just sorry that he has been treated badly while trying to date, and bullying on the workplace is also awful to have happen to you.
And it's not like he's stuck with her forever if he one day meets a real life woman.

I need to see if they have some husbando options for that Gatebox thing...

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Constantly fearing that your relationship turn wrong, having reponsibilities to hold for no other reason but because society pushes you into marrying and having children, is not that enviable either.
You should look for women expectations in japan. It's no rocket science if the numbers keep growing, having a wife and a kid in today's japan is less and less enviable.

You removed the part of the very post you're responding to where I said these men should invest in friendships. I didn't say anything about dating.

If he didn't have anyone in his life who cared enough about his well being to talk him out of this, he obviously doesn't have any close friends. A close friendship with one person is more emotionally fulfilling than talking at a robot that doesn't actually know who you are or care about your interest outside a few checkboxes on a data sheet.