• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Why is that hard to understand? He's in love with an inanimate object.

I think it's sad when someone is in love with people that abuse them, or don't love them back, or just don't value them the way they deserve. Or they love someone who cheats or something of the sort.

It's also bad when men objectify women. So when you remove women from the equation and give them actual objects to marry, it's even worse.

I think it's safe to say that an inanimate object cannot love you back. It does not give you genuine intimacy. It does not care about you. It's even worse than marrying someone who treats you poorly. It's a rejection of all forms of genuine intimacy.

There's many, many reasons why this is sad. To say "I see nothing wrong here" is trying to be accepting of all walks of life to a fault. I cetainly would not encourage any friends of mine to marry a product you can buy on amazon. It's not about judgment. It's about seeing some serious red flags and simply acknowledging them for what they are.

If he wants to be with inanimate object that is his business , sure it's not what some would consider normal but I'm not going to look down on him for it . I do find it strange but ha do what you want .

He's not dealing with another person who doesn't love him back or abuses him . I think he knows that it's AI and is fine with the imitation of someone caring for him.

I mean he is objectifying women in a way but it's like the sex dolls brothel thing they are not real women but I guess I can see a point there . There is clearly a market here with men and Artificial women and wouldn't shock me in 20 yrs from now to see a lot more of it

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
You removed the part of the very post you're responding to where I said these men should invest in friendships. I didn't say anything about dating.

If he didn't have anyone in his life who cared enough about his well being to talk him out of this, he obviously doesn't have any close friends.

It says 40 guests attended the uh "wedding" or whatever. So he must have some friends?

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are going to focus on his mother not showing up but it's pretty fucked up that none of Hatsune Miku's friends showed up.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
If it makes him happy, then it's all good. I'm just sorry that he has been treated badly while trying to date, and bullying on the workplace is also awful to have happen to you.
And it's not like he's stuck with her forever if he one day meets a real life woman.
How would he do that, exactly? And even admitting that he may be able to meet and start a relationship with a real woman, how would he know what being in a relationship actually is, if he's 'learning' by being married to a device who has no will on its own, who always says what he wants to hear? He's making himself a life of loneliness

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is kinda sad, kinda creepy (is she always 16? idek), kinda funny

no idea what to say really

I would guess men and women lead very different and quite separated lives in Japan, so this is unsurprising...

it's okay if he's happy I guess

That movie is literally about a guy avoiding his own responsibility in his marriage falling apart by burying himself in a fake thing that ends up only making him feel emptier and less complete until he finally realizes he needs to fix himself before he can love and be loved by someone else. It's not an argument for loving an AI. It's almost exactly the opposite.
I want to watch this movie even more now.

because honestly I can see myself falling in love with an AI but also see myself cause the collapse of a relationship :/

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scared we actually are capable of sliding down a slope of "You do you", "Hey no kink shaming!" type thinking. There's some of it in here terrifyingly, but I'm bad with sarcasm.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I would guess men and women lead very different and quite separated lives in Japan, so this is unsurprising...
No, more like they can't, and this quote summarize how horrible the work culture is in Japan.
At the same time, more young people cannot get married even if they wanted to because they cannot picture having a family, particularly a child, because of a lack of opportunity to meet people and of financial success."

This is a place where 80+ hours of overtime is looked as normal.

Last edited:

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand that's nuts but on the other hands I respect him for just not not give any fuck at all and just going with it.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would he do that, exactly? And even admitting that he may be able to meet and start a relationship with a real woman, how would he know what being in a relationship actually is, if he's 'learning' by being married to a device who has no will on its own, who always says what he wants to hear? He's making himself a life of loneliness
Well it wasn't like he was getting any experience and knowledge before his marriage either was he?

And if learning by bad example is a doomed fate, how about people who were sexually assaulted in their childhood, or whose partner beat them up, or cheated on them? They got shit for experience too.

I'm not going to judge this guy for his own life choices.
He seems happy, good for him. Yeah his mum ain't cheering about it, well it won't be the first time anyone disappointed their mother. He's not breaking the law or doing any harm.
Of course it'd have been wonderful if one of the dates he went on turned out really well and he married a real life woman instead. But it didn't happen. Maybe if he kept on dating, it would have, but he made his choice.
You can't force people to change because you think it's better for them to live a certain way.

This guy has all the freedom in the world to keep on trying in the dating scene, but he doesn't seem to want to.
Yeah maybe he'll regret it later on. But don't you think his family and friends have already tried to tell him that?
But it's his choice. In the end, that's his business and his alone.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think people doing this kind of stuff would have enough self awareness to not send out invites.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read that this is the standard in Japan now. Between this and the used panty vending machines on every street corner and school lobby, it's no wonder their population is shrinking. Sad really.
Can't believe the massively overworked, virgin nationalists put tentacle hentai in the history textbooks. Sad state of affairs there....

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
852.jpg

Oh god! Link to original video?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are those Hologram waifus a real thing? I remember watching a japanese commercial last year with a salary men being lonely as fuck but with a virtual waifu waiting him at home. For being a commercial that was trying to promote the hologram, it did a terrible job, since the salary men looked miserable as fuck.

Unless it was a parody, but with Japan one could never tell

Oct 31, 2017
That movie is literally about a guy avoiding his own responsibility in his marriage falling apart by burying himself in a fake thing that ends up only making him feel emptier and less complete until he finally realizes he needs to fix himself before he can love and be loved by someone else. It's not an argument for loving an AI. It's almost exactly the opposite.
Not to mention the AI in the movie is actually a fully functional conscience, no matter how artificial. It CAN express consent and emotional engagement...

...And in fact she ends dumping him, ironically enough.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a... legal marriage? I mean, presumably not, right?

Please can we not have another thread with this shit all over it.
well i came into this thread with an open mind, to consider this dude seriously and respectfully. only to find out he's marrying a 16 year old. so yea, we cannot not.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
That poor mother. Raising a son and seeing him marry a video game hologram.

What's the deal in Japan? Marrying holograms and handhelds. SMH...