• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Mouse on the Keys (saw these guys live last year for their first US tour. Amazing show)

Austin Peralta. Dude was incredibly talented and passed away at such a young age at 22 :(

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved Jazz! But I never became familiar with any individual artist, I'd just tune the jazz station in the radio. Glad this thread exists so i can become more familiar.

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jaco Pastorius and his dream team of big name Jazz musicians. An amazing tune, an amazing album.

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaaaaan, if this forum gets a well-fed jazz (maybe blues/country blues?) thread I may never leave. Listen to a lot of music but if I'm just around the house with music on, that's usually what I'm listening to.

Also, I've been obsessed with "Giant Steps" recently:

Last edited:

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Bill Evans had such a uniquely clean sound. His technique must have been absolutely astounding, and perfectly practiced.

Yup you get it

Reading his biography for the first time gave a hell of a contrast to his beautiful playing. Man had a tragic life, sadly common for many jazz legends...

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not a bad enough dude to genuinely appreciate most of this music, but some of the jazz piano stuff and a couple of classic albums for noobs like me (Kind of Blue) I dig. At least I don't jam smooth jazz lol.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Even though most of their music are heard on rock stations Steely Dan definitely has jazz sound to them. Here's one of my favorites.

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
MAGMA - Hhaï / Zombies - Live at Triton (2005)

This is a complex 25 minute piece that grooves like hell with that pulsing bass and the incredible drumming by Christian Vander.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how many Chameleon covers I have in my library, but a lot, for sure.
Pretty telling of how great this track is.

Maceo did one, but have something different from him...

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Listened to Mingus' Black Saint again at work today, that album is growing on me. I love track B, where the trumpet is talking

Bonus, from another album I got recommended that I enjoy a great deal:

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the sweetest song I've ever heard. Sadly I found it when my nana was leaving this world, so it brings me bad memories, but here it is.

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Thread died?

This song is kind of weird, but when the piano kicks in at the middle of the song, it always gives me the chills. Sounds like kind of out of tempo, gentle but at the same time kind of bossy... In other words, BEAUTIFUL!

candide

Oct 30, 2017
Saw THE BAD PLUS live last week, they played a setlist similar to this one. The encore was Flim and Iron Man, which are my favorite covers they ever did. I love how they fuse classical and rock influences into one ball of awesome/madness.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
You're bound to see Rahsaan Roland Kirk if you follow Jazz, he's the blind guy who sometimes played 2-3 saxes at the same time. He was also a badass flutist, he played flute solo in "Soul Bossa Nova" aka 'the Austin Power Song'. I've heard rumors that he invented the technique of singing through the flute as you play it.

edit: I figured I'd add him doing the multi-Sax thing, that Bari player is smokin as well, wish I knew who he was.

Last edited: