• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching the video it's hard to disagree with anything he said

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
surprised anyone even cares what this guy says at this point, constantly just spouts rubbish for sake of it. Jimquisition is a bit shit.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Does releasing an upgraded mid-cycle version of a console for 500€ really make up for the shitty, unfinished product they sold at launch for 500€?
For me the answer is no but I can see why some people would answer with yes.

I kinda start to believe that the stance on Xbox One differs between early vs late adopters. If I hadn't bought an OG X1 and later bought the One S or X my opinion would probably be a lot different.

Did you guys own the OG?
I bought the OG X1 about a month after it released.

No regrets at all.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It kinda depends on when you got into this console generation and what you're playing on (1080p/4k). I'd say that if waited out this gen for a while and jumped on with the One X, it must be a great entry point since you have the most powerful system and will get the best versions of 3rd party games, especially worth it if you've upgraded your tv. In my situation though I don't have many reasons to get a One: I have PS4 (pro), Switch and a pc still decent enough to run most of the exclusives, Ori and Cuphead I can just get on Steam. I still play in 1080p so there's little reason for me to get a One. I'm mostly into sp games and in that regard I get my fill on PS4 and there's not much on One to make me consider the purchase. I guess did replace the 360 as the early adopter console of choice, I think Jim was right there. The One X is a very attractive system though and if I did have a 4k tv already, I'd consider it for multiplats.

I do think the timing for this vid is weird, this is an old chestnut and we've discussed these issues for years already it seems. Summer drought I guess.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? You pay 10 (or most of the times less) dollars and you get access to 180 games. Including games like:
- Fallout 4
- Rocket League
- The Elder Scrolls Online
- The Division
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Sea of Thieves
- Halo 5
- Gears of War 4
- Halo Wars 2
- Cities Skylines
- PES18
- Sunset Overdrive
+ 168 more

How is that pretty bad?

And that's not even including Forza Horizon 4 in a couple months.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I love Jim but in an industry full of toxicity (and he himself claims to hate the bigots etc that are found in it) he does often appeal to these people with his hyperbole, negativity and attacks on things/people.

I don't see what bigotry has to do with anything being discussed. Pointing out a business decision as foolish isn't they same as being intolerant.

I dont even think most people disagree with the point that the Xbox would be doing better if it had more exclusive content. Some are just happy as is, but I doubt even most of them would claim the right balance has already been found.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The things Microsoft do well are typically genres done better by cross platform AAA publishers.

The things Sony and Nintendo do well no one does better than them.

That's really the difference. If I want GaaS or shooters, I'm better off on PC than Xbox or playing a cross platform game like Fortnite or Battlefield rather than Sea of Thieves or Halo 5.

If I want platformers, noone beats Nintendo. If I want action adventure games with strong narratives, noone today beats Sony.
This is really it, and gets to his point of thinking too much like a publisher. The best GAAS games are the AAA multiplat games. Nintendo and Sony fill the niches that the AAA publishers aren't hitting.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What does that even mean? Are you talking about games that they want to run for years, and they should just eat the costs associated?

Lets walk down memory lane, when gaas were pretty much MMOs. Granted the market was substantially smaller, but you had Ultima Online, then EverQuest, and then WoW, with a few smaller MMOs still able to eke out an existence. All of these games had monthly fees AND paid expansions.

You also had an unbelievable number of failed games.

Heres the main point: I think it was discovered there was only so many gamers willing to shell out for monthly subs. And once they were subscribing, another product was unlikely to gain an additional sub from a user - you had to get them to switch to your game. WoW hit and I think they pretty much hit the ceiling on that.

But the monthly fee structure actually kept some of those games running for insane amounts of time (if you told me EQ would still be going in 2019, I dont think I would have ever believed you). EQ apparently has moved to (i think) a F2P MT based model mixed with the monthly premium model. But I digress

A lot of online games that were not quake got made and support dried up in very short amounts of time. That brought about the evolution of "gaas" - online games with years of developer support. How you monetize these is also evolving, but they are usually better games due to monetization.

So I ask you - what are the negatives, to you, of having a gaas (in general)? To me it's some of the methods of monetization - loot boxes, especially coupled with making gameplay onerous without paying money or spending an obscene amount of time.

Even Bungie ended up on the MT train for their gaas - and they added what I assume will be yearly paid content packs that are the full price of the game yet again (MMO model).

So all that said, expand on your point, give examples, reasons why you feel MS gaas, or gaas itself is detrimental.
I can tell you the negatives, loot boxes or microtransactions in general (which i all consider predatory), often unfinished or lack of content, lack of quality, strong online multiplayer focus. So pretty much Microsofts exclusive lineup this gen in a nutshell.

Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to the UI and the lack of exclusive games I understand fully where he is coming from (mainly the UI), but I feel he is ignoring what they are trying to push for the future.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
It is not excuses... it is reality... neither of the games you listed are exclusives to XB1.

If you did in fact buy those games or sub to gamepass - why does it matter /where/ you played them? I /really/ don't get people's mindset on this, or how you can try to spin it as a negative. If sony had a leading PC operating system (dont peer to far into that dark dark timeline), you can be 100% guaranteed at some point they would do the same sort of thing.

In fact, a lot of PS4 console exclusives end up on PC. So? I get them where it makes sense to get them. Yay, options!

I have been PC/console gaming for a long time (hi games on the schools Apple II's back in the 80's and my atari something I think 2600), so maybe the number of transitions in the market make me somehow more open to being happy with more options? I don't get where all this latching on to terms like "exclusive" or "generations" so rigidly comes from.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Wouldn't ppl on the weaker XBOs have a lesser experience? Isn't that what most ppl have? Kudos for MS having the most powerful mid gen refresh, but that doesn't mean the other 2 just disappear.

I never expect a 100% finished product as an early adopter, I'm also ok with mid gen refreshs (kinda like the small, black 360s or PS2 slims).

What I'm not OK with is billion dollar companies, that have all the money in the world and appropriate R&D ressources, selling me a 500€ product at launch that:

a) needs to be overhauled after only 2.5 years (S)
b) was sold with a periphal that was discontinued within 2-3 years

And then they expect me to pay them another 500€ for a more powerful version with only 3 years left this gen?

When you charge 500€ for a product, you simply don't get to have that "trial & error" approach. You also don't get a "do over" three years later and expect people to fork out another 500€. No Microsoft, you get one shot per generation and that's it.
No matter what Sony and MS have done since 2013, it's the first impression that counts and all in all the OG PS4 simpy was a better product than the OG X1.

I get that plent of folks buy the revisions, but the launch day models are the benchmark IMO
When someone discusses the OG PlayStation, does the slim PSOne version come to mind? Not for me.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
How would you be excluded? Nobody prevents you from buying an Xbox.

I have no interest in a gaming console. Never had.

Got a Wii once, played a bit of Wii Tennis and Mario Kart on it. But it was collecting dust most of the time. I've only started playing Microsoft games again after they launced the Play Anywhere program. Before that I played games like Black & White and Age of Empires 1-3 ofcourse.

This year I've played Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Super Lucky's Tale and I'm planning to start with Halo Wars 2 soon. As soon as they drop pc support, I won't be playing their games anymore.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I never expect a 100% finished product as an early adopter, I'm also ok with mid gen refreshs (kinda like the small, black 360s or PS2 slims).

What I'm not OK with is billion dollar companies, that have all the money in the world and appropriate R&D ressources, selling me a 500€ product at launch that:

a) needs to be overhauled after only 2.5 years (S)
b) was sold with a periphal that was discontinued within 2-3 years

And then they expect me to pay them another 500€ for a more powerful version with only 3 years left this gen?

When you charge 500€ for a product, you simply don't get to have that "trial & error" approach. You also don't get a "do over" three years later and expect people to fork out another 500€. No Microsoft, you get one shot per generation and that's it.
No matter what Sony and MS have done since 2013, it's the first impression that counts and all in all the OG PS4 simpy was a better product than the OG X1.

I get that plent of folks buy the revisions, but the launch day models are the benchmark IMO
When someone discusses the OG PlayStation, does the slim PSOne version come to mind? Not for me.
The difference between the S and the OG X1 is fairly negligible.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
How is PC availability for Xbox games a bad thing? If anything, it's made me want to get a PC and further support their service efforts.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
What does that even mean? Are you talking about games that they want to run for years, and they should just eat the costs associated?

Lets walk down memory lane, when gaas were pretty much MMOs. Granted the market was substantially smaller, but you had Ultima Online, then EverQuest, and then WoW, with a few smaller MMOs still able to eke out an existence. All of these games had monthly fees AND paid expansions.

You also had an unbelievable number of failed games.

Heres the main point: I think it was discovered there was only so many gamers willing to shell out for monthly subs. And once they were subscribing, another product was unlikely to gain an additional sub from a user - you had to get them to switch to your game. WoW hit and I think they pretty much hit the ceiling on that.

But the monthly fee structure actually kept some of those games running for insane amounts of time (if you told me EQ would still be going in 2019, I dont think I would have ever believed you). EQ apparently has moved to (i think) a F2P MT based model mixed with the monthly premium model. But I digress

A lot of online games that were not quake got made and support dried up in very short amounts of time. That brought about the evolution of "gaas" - online games with years of developer support. How you monetize these is also evolving, but they are usually better games due to monetization.

So I ask you - what are the negatives, to you, of having a gaas (in general)? To me it's some of the methods of monetization - loot boxes, especially coupled with making gameplay onerous without paying money or spending an obscene amount of time.

Even Bungie ended up on the MT train for their gaas - and they added what I assume will be yearly paid content packs that are the full price of the game yet again (MMO model).

So all that said, expand on your point, give examples, reasons why you feel MS gaas, or gaas itself is detrimental.

It's pretty simple. Remember when you would unlock costumes, weapons and all sorts of other stuff as you played games? Micro transactions made that far less commonplace, and now you have to pay for what used to be in the game. Let alone other things like Day One DLC.

Remember when you could earn, or at least buy a specific weapon or costume or piece of content? Now loot boxes have replaced that, and it's basicslly gambling for you to get something you want.

GaaS is another evolution of the industry that offers publishers a way to monetize their game more while in most cases making the game worse. It may not be a fundamental detriment to the game, but sometimes it is. Sometimes it actually changes how the game does its progress or reward systems.

I don't play many multiplayer games so it doesn't affect me often, but the GaaS model changes games and there is a ripple affect. I mean who would have thought loot boxes would have become so prevalent that single player games would have them?

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
they can Fix it with High quality games New IPs invest more in the brand get there Core gamers back.....without need to release their games in PC

Those "core" gamers are gone and are not coming back in a hurry.

Consumers voted with their wallets and bought PS4's. How attractive was a cheaper and more powerful console against a console that was more expensive, bundled with a on spy cam, 720 vs 1080 etc
MS have been on the back foot ever since and playing catch up, they simply haven't been able to catch up.

Another thing Xbox One year one had quite a few exclusive IP's and no PC versions, hardly pushed the console into people's homes.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Consumers voted with their wallets and bought PS4's. How attractive was a cheaper and more powerful console against a console that was more expensive, bundled with a on spy cam, 720 vs 1080 etc
MS have been on the back foot ever since and playing catch up, they simply haven't been able to catch up.

Another thing Xbox One year one had quite a few exclusive IP's and no PC versions, hardly pushed the console into people's homes.

Lol.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry about that, but I got ad in that video.... Not sure if youtube fuck up or not, but sorry to Jim, if I was being wrong.

Don't worry, it's not like I love that guy. But he doesn't generate any money from his YouTube videos, only from Patreon.

The difference between the S and the OG X1 is fairly negligible.

As fas as the image on my screen is concerned? Yes.

But the OG X1 was 500€ with a 500gig HDD, made you pay for Kinect and was 40% bigger in size.
The One S released only 2.5 years later for 299€ (500GB). No Kinect, 4K streaming, 40% smaller with a much much better build quality.
Only a couple of month later a One S could be found for 199€ with two games.

I can only speak for myself, but it feels like Microsoft only started trying when they got in trouble with sales. That's like spitting into the face of every early adopter.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I can tell you the negatives, loot boxes or microtransactions in general (which i all consider predatory), often unfinished or lack of content, lack of quality, strong online multiplayer focus. So pretty much Microsofts exclusive lineup this gen in a nutshell.

So... you prefer when games with strong online components go away after a year or so? I am trying to get you to actually put detail to the string of buzzwords - elaborate?

I have enjoyed many a gaas and not spent a dime. Games that crutch on spending to play reasonably I just dont touch. Games like fortnite, despite everything being cosmetic, I have never felt more compelled to spend money on, and have safely put that game out of mind. I still give activision their blood money for destiny2, but I have fun with a group of friends playing it, but I havent ever spent on their MT store.

Whats wrong with online multiplayer? Some people prefer it to whatever it is you are obviously hinting at is the antithesis of online multiplayer.

I, through he powerful method of thinking about it for a minute, have come to the conclusion (years ago) that MTs will work itself out, eventually. Phone gaming came along and brought it to a darker place, and everyone tried chasing it. I think Fornite is an addiction machine with how they have every single thing in the game structured, but you know, itll pass and something will get figured out that is a good mix of paying to keep the lights on and not being predatory.

Phone gaming is almost always horrible - almost non-games like pokemon go (which I still open up every once and a while) make playing without paying almost non-optional.

Anyway, it's a nuanced topic - being so black and white about it will keep you from playing some great games for years to come.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
And excluding me as a customer.
it's okey if they Do that

want to play their games then buy Xbox simple...

they will come If they Find Something intresting....MS Inhibitors at the start of the gen...Was the reason To let peole avoid them....If the Continue like Xbox 360 days thing for sure will be diffrent

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about that, but I got ad in that video.... Not sure if youtube fuck up or not, but sorry to Jim, if I was being wrong.
If an external party files a Content ID claim in YouTube one of their options (other than blocking the video outright or doing nothing at all) is to monetize the video. The accusing party then earns the ad revenues.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If you did in fact buy those games or sub to gamepass - why does it matter /where/ you played them? I /really/ don't get people's mindset on this, or how you can try to spin it as a negative. If sony had a leading PC operating system (dont peer to far into that dark dark timeline), you can be 100% guaranteed at some point they would do the same sort of thing.

In fact, a lot of PS4 console exclusives end up on PC. So? I get them where it makes sense to get them. Yay, options!

I have been PC/console gaming for a long time (hi games on the schools Apple II's back in the 80's and my atari something I think 2600), so maybe the number of transitions in the market make me somehow more open to being happy with more options? I don't get where all this latching on to terms like "exclusive" or "generations" so rigidly comes from.

This generation has been a bit different than previous, but the main issue that crops up with MS's plan isn't really bad for the consumer, but for MS.

Bringing all MS first party games to PC has multiple issues for them, first it removes a probably the biggest single reason to buy a console: exclusive software. Would anyone have bought a PS2 if it only had the weakest-performing multiplatform games? Probably not, but it had thousands of games and a TON of full exclusives, which greatly helped its success

Second, while yes PC ports can increase software sales, you are also giving your consumer an incentive to switch to PC gaming, which is NOT in Microsofts best interest. Joe Gamer decides Xbox One X isn't good enough, so he builds a rig and plays, say, State of Decay 2. He enjoys the experience, and decides to spend more time on PC. You think Joe is going to use the Windows store for all of his 3rd party gaming purchases? Fuck no, he's headed to Steam, GOG, Humble, etc. That's a LOT of money MS just lost now that Joe isn't locked into their ecosystem. Even if MS doesnt incept the idea that gamers should play on PC, they are SEVERELY outclassed on PC and there isn't a sane person out there that will buy anything more than MS Studios games on the Windows store.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
It's pretty simple. Remember when you would unlock costumes, weapons and all sorts of other stuff as you played games? Micro transactions made that far less commonplace, and now you have to pay for what used to be in the game. Let alone other things like Day One DLC.

Remember when you could earn, or at least buy a specific weapon or costume or piece of content? Now loot boxes have replaced that, and it's basicslly gambling for you to get something you want.

GaaS is another evolution of the industry that offers publishers a way to monetize their game more while in most cases making the game worse. It may not be a fundamental detriment to the game, but sometimes it is. Sometimes it actually changes how the game does its progress or reward systems.

I don't play many multiplayer games so it doesn't affect me often, but the GaaS model changes games and there is a ripple affect. I mean who would have thought loot boxes would have become so prevalent that single player games would have them?

I mean, I'm not one to bat away nostalgia but who cares about how it used to work? Games take a shitton more money to make, and someone has to pay to keep making content. I explained a brief history of GaaS as I experienced it (maybe in reply to you?) - it will evolve. I like playing online dress-up as much as the next guy, but it literally holds no intrinsic value to me. If I get it in-game or from a loot box, as long as theres nothing affecting gameplay I really don't care.

And I thin your wish of just having all the items for sale instead of in boxes will come true in the next few years. Like I said before, it's evolving. A decent mix will eventually find it's way as being the most popular way of monetizing games in the future. Taking too long? I think so but you know, these things take years to make so progress is understandably slower.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

But the OG X1 was 500€ with a 500gig HDD, made you pay for Kinect and was 40% bigger in size.
The One S released only 2.5 years later for 299€ (500GB). No Kinect, 4K streaming, 40% smaller with a much much better build quality.

I can only speak for myself, but it feels like Microsoft only started trying when they got in trouble with sales. That's like spitting into the face of every early adopter.
Products get cheaper over time.

That's very standard practice, particularly if said product isn't doing as well as hoped. Decreasing the price is not spitting in the face of their early adopters.

You have a point about the Kinect, however, caliming that the S is a necessary overhaul is not even remotely true.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So... you prefer when games with strong online components go away after a year or so? I am trying to get you to actually put detail to the string of buzzwords - elaborate?

I have enjoyed many a gaas and not spent a dime. Games that crutch on spending to play reasonably I just dont touch. Games like fortnite, despite everything being cosmetic, I have never felt more compelled to spend money on, and have safely put that game out of mind. I still give activision their blood money for destiny2, but I have fun with a group of friends playing it, but I havent ever spent on their MT store.

Whats wrong with online multiplayer? Some people prefer it to whatever it is you are obviously hinting at is the antithesis of online multiplayer.

I, through he powerful method of thinking about it for a minute, have come to the conclusion (years ago) that MTs will work itself out, eventually. Phone gaming came along and brought it to a darker place, and everyone tried chasing it. I think Fornite is an addiction machine with how they have every single thing in the game structured, but you know, itll pass and something will get figured out that is a good mix of paying to keep the lights on and not being predatory.

Phone gaming is almost always horrible - almost non-games like pokemon go (which I still open up every once and a while) make playing without paying almost non-optional.

Anyway, it's a nuanced topic - being so black and white about it will keep you from playing some great games for years to come.
No, i have no interest in multiplayer games in general. So it's obviously a negative for me when publishers focus on that.

And the problem with a GaaS or games that use any kind of microtransations in general is that they always try to lure you into spending money which always has a negative influence on the games design.

So even if i don't use mtx they always have a bad influence on the games i play.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
And I won't buy one. Simple.

-1 customer.

No disrespect intended, but how much value do you think you have to Microsoft?

If you buy a game or 2 a year from Microsoft's windows store, 5 of you are probably equal to a single xbox customer who buys live, gamepass, and gets MS a 20-30 percent cut of every other piece of content they buy on the platform.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017

You could buy the OG Xbox One without Kinect long before the Xbox One S was released. I got mine without Kinect around September/October 2014.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That's exactly the reason they release on PC now though.
They are leveraging their most loyal fans to to push a potentially far more lucrative business (aka the Store) at the expense of their traditional console business.
With cross-buy PC and One sale numbers will become cloudy instead it will be Store sales (owners).
The Store becomes a serious revenue generator and looks far more attractive.
Right, again, that was the idea. It just has completely failed.
Do you think this could have changed since Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2? The beta numbers were encouraging for the Windows version of Sea of Thieves.
I also think games like Gears and Halo don't have the mindshare on pc many people think they do.
Nah.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
This generation has been a bit different than previous, but the main issue that crops up with MS's plan isn't really bad for the consumer, but for MS.

Bringing all MS first party games to PC has multiple issues for them, first it removes a probably the biggest single reason to buy a console: exclusive software. Would anyone have bought a PS2 if it only had the weakest-performing multiplatform games? Probably not, but it had thousands of games and a TON of full exclusives, which greatly helped its success

Second, while yes PC ports can increase software sales, you are also giving your consumer an incentive to switch to PC gaming, which is NOT in Microsofts best interest. Joe Gamer decides Xbox One X isn't good enough, so he builds a rig and plays, say, State of Decay 2. He enjoys the experience, and decides to spend more time on PC. You think Joe is going to use the Windows store for all of his 3rd party gaming purchases? Fuck no, he's headed to Steam, GOG, Humble, etc. That's a LOT of money MS just lost now that Joe isn't locked into their ecosystem. Even if MS doesnt incept the idea that gamers should play on PC, they are SEVERELY outclassed on PC and there isn't a sane person out there that will buy anything more than MS Studios games on the Windows store.

Possible.

Or my situation: I play pc games and so do two of my friends. My other friend is a console gamer who owns an Xbox One and PlayStation 4. He doesn't really play exclusives, but uses his console to play with others. Thanks to Xbox I can play the same games as him, we can even play together and it gives him the incentive to buy the next Xbox because he knows he'll be able to play with us and play the same games as us. I don't think people switch from Console to pc or pc to console that easily.

Alright. Wonder what they'll do with the Play Anywhere program. You got any clues if they are going to shut it down? If it doesn't make them money and if it doesn't add extra consumers. What's the point?

Maybe they'll try one more push with Gears Tactics, Age of Empires and a pc Gamepass. Who knows.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The One fell dramatically in price far before the S though.
To $399 w/o Kinect ~6months after launch.
Then to $349 ~1 year after launch, and further to $329 + shop side actions for Black Friday.
What lead to the situation that you could get a One 1 year after launch for ~ half the launch price.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the amount of personal attacks on Jim in this thread is staggering. You may not like his opinion or how it states it, or some other thing that he said five years ago, but c'mon.

I also don't understand the media and forum sentiment on here about Game Pass. The game selection is indeed poor.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man the amount of personal attacks on Jim in this thread is staggering. You may not like his opinion or how it states it, or some other thing that he said five years ago, but c'mon.

I also don't understand the media and forum sentiment on here about Game Pass. The game selection is indeed poor.

You think it's poor. I think it's not.

;)

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT

I think we (defined here as people without any metrics to base anything on) jump to probably incorrect conclusions about this. I back this up with all the games that come out on ps4 and pc - if keeping them on PS4 only was a great proposition why release on PC? It's not a hard answer - the markets probably dont overlap enough to make it a bad proposition (at least that my take).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think we (defined here as people without any metrics to base anything on) jump to probably incorrect conclusions about this. I back this up with all the games that come out on ps4 and pc - if keeping them on PS4 only was a great proposition why release on PC? It's not a hard answer - the markets probably dont overlap enough to make it a bad proposition (at least that my take).

But to their point, they still have some heavy hitters (God of War, Horizon, etc.) that they can market as PS4 games. So they do see the benefit of having true exclusives.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
If an external party files a Content ID claim in YouTube one of their options (other than blocking the video outright or doing nothing at all) is to monetize the video. The accusing party then earns the ad revenues.

Thanks for clarification, I am not familiar how youtube ads works. I had some stupid beer ad (Czech Republic, go figure), which had like a minute and could not be skipped.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Would you rather them not try and course correct? I don't understand comments like this; please clarify.

It's a good thing that they try to improve, but you can't leave your early adopters behind. Here's two things MS could've done, that maybe would have won me over:

1. When MS realized that Kinect 2.0 was shit, they started selling OG X1's without Kinect for 350€. Those who already bought a X1+Kinect were not given the option to return their Kinects, that all of a sudden weren't integral anymore.

2. When MS released the One S and soon started to discount them aggressively (I saw them go for as low for 199€ + 2 games), this totally destroyed the resale value of my OG X1/Kinect (only got like 100€ on eBay for it).

I get that winning over new customers in important but you just can't leave the early adopters (my X1 gamepad actually said "Day One Edition" on it) behind like that. I mean you can do it, but then you gotta be OK with the fact that people like me are very reluctant to do business with you in the future.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
No, i have no interest in multiplayer games in general. So it's obviously a negative for me when publishers focus on that.

And the problem with a GaaS or games that use any kind of microtransations in general is that they always try to lure you into spending money which always has a negative influence on the games design.

So even if i don't use mtx they always have a bad influence on the games i play.

Theres a range, friend. It's different for every game. I play a ton of Gaas, and I have not spent a dime on MTs in any of them (but I am choosy). And what games specifically are you incensed about? I have played like ... 20-40 hours of halo5 mp and never once even considered buying anything. Gears MP isnt my bag. Sea of thieves has no MTs yet, I think. And I havent ever spent a dime on car packs for forza/horizon (once and a while I get the gold editions).

Aside from the bevy of F2P games on both systems, doesn't that about cover it? They all have $60 worth of single player content (maybe not halo5, got that campaign was not so good), so I don't know what the complaint really is.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Maybe they'll try one more push with Gears Tactics, Age of Empires and a pc Gamepass. Who knows.

I guess that's their plan. Bull they'll have very strong competition from (much better) subscriptions like Origin Access and Humble Monthly. Developing more 1st party PC specific games is the right way to compete with them tho, so Gears Tactics and Age of Empires are a good start.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
But to their point, they still have some heavy hitters (God of War, Horizon, etc.) that they can market as PS4 games. So they do see the benefit of having true exclusives.

They didn't at the start - it's just a goal post put up in recent years, and I really can't put too much into it. Everything is cyclical. And I don't know what people think the end game is here, but I don't want any of the current big 3 to stop existing - competition is vital, and every single "gamer" should have this be the underlying mentality imo.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He's not wrong. The thing doesn't have a single exclusive game on the market. It's the most confused attempt of keeping a console afloat I've ever seen.

If you have a PC, you don't need an Xbox One, ever - And I don't see that changing with the next generation.