• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
RING OF HONOR STATEMENT ON PORTLAND INCIDENT
by Mike Johnson @ 9:38 PM on 7/19/2019

In response to a PWInsider.com request for an update on their investigation into the Portland incident, Ring of Honor issued the following statement:

We have now concluded our internal investigation into the events that occurred in Portland on June 2nd and have taken appropriate actions with all parties involved. Our Code of Honor, which calls for sportsmanship, respect and honor in- and outside of the ring is a core value of this company and one we will continue to strive to uphold. To all of our loyal and dedicated fans, we apologize for the incident that transpired and we encourage all of our fans to continue attending our events. Furthermore, we promise to continue delivering the best wrestling and the best live experience on the planet. In adherence to Ring of Honor policy, we will not comment further on these matters.

Lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I cancelled last time because of a sense of being overwhelmed. There is no telling when a tag match is going to be a nothing tag match or have storytelling associated with it. Heck, story even unfolds in post show media scrums. If you don't watch absolutely everything you get lost. When I watched Wrestle Kingdom this year I enjoyed most of the matches and was able to follow some of the major stories but there was stuff where the emotional quality of it fell flat for me because I hadn't seen enough. I got back in after Mania weekend because of the MSG show where all the New Japan stuff was great and ROH did ROH things. And three months later I've already drowned in content at least twice. I managed with BOSJ but it took work and I ended up not watching other wrestling I wanted to see to accommodate it and here I am, a month a change later, drowning in G1. New Japan is great but it is so fucking much.

This is largely why I dropped it. I find it much easier to keep on top of DDT/TJPW and Beyond

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WWE seem intent on fucking with RevPro...hey, Trips; sign Bodom! He's good, I promise, and we'd all be *real* sad to lose him :(

ANuclearError

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I cancelled last time because of a sense of being overwhelmed. There is no telling when a tag match is going to be a nothing tag match or have storytelling associated with it. Heck, story even unfolds in post show media scrums. If you don't watch absolutely everything you get lost. When I watched Wrestle Kingdom this year I enjoyed most of the matches and was able to follow some of the major stories but there was stuff where the emotional quality of it fell flat for me because I hadn't seen enough. I got back in after Mania weekend because of the MSG show where all the New Japan stuff was great and ROH did ROH things. And three months later I've already drowned in content at least twice. I managed with BOSJ but it took work and I ended up not watching other wrestling I wanted to see to accommodate it and here I am, a month a change later, drowning in G1. New Japan is great but it is so fucking much.

I've definitely found that between keeping up with NJPW and going to ICW shows, I find my appetite for wrestling to be pretty much full.

As such, next weekend is going to be difficult considering that there'll be both the two nights of the G1 and both Shug's Hoose Party to attend.

Still not announced who Wolfie will be facing for the now vacant title. Nobody seems to be doing double duty over the weekend, so I'm half expecting them to bring back Dar and give him a run between now and F&L.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
THE MOST DEPRESSING MATCH I'VE EVER SEEN: Lex Luger defeats Bret Hart at Halloween Havoc 1999.

Why does this particular match stick in my head after all these years? I can't say for sure, but it's just all around sad. WCW has done itself in by October 1999, they just don't know it yet. Bret Hart was beyond washed, having come back in mid September after the death of his brother. He fought Sting for the title but lost after Luger interfered, setting up this match.

This match...is just sad. Luger just wins fairly cleanly in about 8 minutes. There's no comeuppance for the interference, well, there's no consequences for anything on this show because it is WCW in transition to the Vince Russo era, not that anything mattered beforehand in 1999 WCW. Titles were worthless. But to see Bret Hart give up to a sloppy submission by a heel Lex Luger in a match set up for him to win and move onto the main event scene. It's just not great.

It's not up on Youtube which has other much better Hart/Luger matches on it. But the entire Halloween Havoc 1999 card is there for your viewing pleasure on the award winning Over-the-top WWE Network for the low low cost of $9.99.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

It's absolutely easy to get lost when all the storytelling beats are super subtle. I remember last year I only managed to catch a story beat 'cause it was mentioned here. Someone explained how ZSJ won a tag match with his version of the Michinoku Driver. So of course when it came to the last night of the G1, it was in my head that he hadn't gone to that well since then, and so when he beat Naito with it I expected it. But I skipped all the tag matches so without this place bringing it up no way I could've known lol

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
So, I'm guessing if Charlotte beats Ember Moon, it will be a triple threat match at SummerSlam.

Talk about time being a flat circle. Wasn't it this time last year that Charlotte was getting added to a SummerSlam match? It'd be hilarious (and sad) if Vince thought the only vital ingredient in the making of Becky Lynch was Charlotte "stealing" her opportunity. This would also cast Bayley as Carmella in this narrative so that's bad. But with two babyfaces likely in this match I don't see anyway that Charlotte doesn't win. Real question is which one 'snaps' and turns into a Hot Topic tweener afterwards.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people said the finals would be naito/ibush
B BLOCK
  • Jon Moxley 6
  • Tomohiro Ishii 4
  • Juice Robinson 4
  • Shingo Takagi 4
  • Toru Yano 4
  • Taichi 2
  • Jeff Cobb 2
  • Tetsuya Naito 2
  • Hirooki Goto 2
  • Jay White 0
A BLOCK
  • KENTA 8
  • Kazuchika Okada 8
  • EVIL 4
  • Kota Ibushi 4
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi 4
  • Lance Archer 2
  • Will Ospreay 2
  • Bad Luck Fale 2
  • SANADA 2
  • Zack Sabre Jr. 2

Oct 25, 2017
Real question is which one 'snaps' and turns into a Hot Topic tweener afterwards.
Heel Bayley activated.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I am three days behind on G1. The mountain is growing.

27wm6h.jpg

Yeah, I'm two days behind and I'm watching the full shows and not just the tournament matches because I'm a moron. Going to try to power through the two shows tomorrow so I don't end up getting stupid far behind. Let me know what you think of Ibushi/Ospreay and Sanada/Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Heel Bayley activated.
tenor.gif

WWE doesn't have the intestinal fortitude for a solo heel Bayley run. They had heel Bayley in their grasp when she beat the shit out of Sasha but when fans popped for it instead of booing it they went with a garbo lesbian angle for a week, had her disappear and then eventually re-emerge in The Boss and Hug Connection which never achieved the pop of Bayley beating up Sasha. My guess is it will play out one of two ways.

1. Charlotte pins Ember clean and Bayley snaps beating up Ember and Charlotte halfway up the ramp already is met by Sasha who beats her up. Hey everybody, it's Boss and Hug Connection AGAIN only now they are HEELZ!!!!

2. Charlotte pins Bayley after Ember had a dominant performance building a case with the crowd that all Bayley did was fuck up Ember's opportunity. Have Ember attack both (because they won't be able to commit to her just beating up Bayley if they want a tweener)

Smash cut to two months from now when Vince is puzzled that he hasn't mysteriously manufactured a new woman that prints money and goes back to burying any woman that isn't in the top three that he leans on.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still betting on Naito in the finals. I don't know who the other one would be. Ibushi is possible, but I could see it being Okada. I don't see them doing Okada/Naito at the finals if that's going to be the Wrestle Kingdom match though. Maybe Tana?

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Talk about time being a flat circle. Wasn't it this time last year that Charlotte was getting added to a SummerSlam match? It'd be hilarious (and sad) if Vince thought the only vital ingredient in the making of Becky Lynch was Charlotte "stealing" her opportunity. This would also cast Bayley as Carmella in this narrative so that's bad. But with two babyfaces likely in this match I don't see anyway that Charlotte doesn't win. Real question is which one 'snaps' and turns into a Hot Topic tweener afterwards.
Yes, that's pretty much the case. There's a reason why everyone is down on the main roster women's division. If its not Alexa being in the title picture, its Charlotte. There are so many good matches/feuds people want to see on Smackdown, but likely never will because Charlotte will be shoehorned into all of them.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
God, I hope it does.

They tried to kill each other a few times, it ended with Naito putting Ibushi in his place. Let that be it.

Both may not make it but they'll be in the mix on the blocks' last days. Kenta is tied with leading block A and his last match is against ZSJ. Moxley leads Block B and his last match is against Juice.

Comparitively, Naito is paired with Jay White and Ibushi with Okada. Those two matches likely headline so both will be in a winning position by the end.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Alexa as a super-wholesome babyface who walks her giant-ass pig to the ring Pharoah style is an idea too good for this world.
I just think it would be interesting to see her finally work something more natural or believable in the ring as a spunky/sassy underdog as opposed to a heel who ruthlessly dominates her enemies despite being like two feet tall.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
My boy Shawn Spears coming across well in that latest AEW Road To All Out. The whole video had that professional feel to it that wasn't quite there previously, and needs to be the template for the TV/PPV backstage segments going forward instead of the Being The Elite style.

cloudzack117

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here going to watch the WOMBAT show? IS it supposed to be more of a serious show like the homicide tribute or more laid back like the backyard show?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
My boy Shawn Spears coming across well in that latest AEW Road To All Out. The whole video had that professional feel to it that wasn't quite there previously, and needs to be the template for the TV/PPV backstage segments going forward instead of the Being The Elite style.

Yeah, I think the "road to" stuff has been really good and will probably be the style they stick to for tv. Being the Elite is fun as a YouTube series, but it's far too amateurish for the big time. Bucks have already said that they probably won't be doing BtE as much once they start TV. That tells me it was never meant for a major audience.

Could you imagine those cheesy poorly acted SCU segments on actual TV? Go away cringe heat would be high. (and I really like SCU)

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, I think the "road to" stuff has been really good and will probably be the style they stick to for tv. Being the Elite is fun as a YouTube series, but it's far too amateurish for the big time. Bucks have already said that they probably won't be doing BtE as much once they start TV. That tells me it was never meant for a major audience.

Could you imagine those cheesy poorly acted SCU segments on actual TV? Go away cringe heat would be high. (and I really like SCU)

Yeah, the Road To All Out managed to make Shawn Spears look like a million bucks and make Cody-Spears look like a big money fight. That's what TV needs to do.

I am torn as to whether I watch WOMBAT live or gorge on Veronica Mars and then watch WOMBAT.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

The Road to shows and the Being the Elite shows were always supposed to look exactly the way they look right now. All the Road to shows have existed to push the PPVs while BtE has just been backstage stuff. It's not an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.