Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Wait, y'all really get standard commercials? The regional chain has them interspersed within the programming they play until the scheduled start time, but it's basically glorified screen-filler while people are still trickling into room, and even then it's only a fraction - the rest is all cast interviews, radio hits, and trivia. Once the scheduled start time hits, it's exclusively the standard trailers, then the movie.

Alamo doesn't even do ads at all in the pre-show programming.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Wait, y'all really get standard commercials? The regional chain has them interspersed within the programming they play until the scheduled start time, but it's basically glorified screen-filler while people are still trickling into room, and even then it's only a fraction - the rest is all cast interviews, radio hits, and trivia. Once the scheduled start time hits, it's exclusively the standard trailers, then the movie.

Alamo doesn't even do ads at all in the pre-show programming.

Yep. It's been that way ever since Finnkino got the monopoly position in the largest cities. It annoys me to no end, especially when the show times are for the commercials, not the movies.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Spielberg's whole thing with Jurassic Park is that he didn't want to just make a monster movie, wasn't it? He went out of his way to buck a lot of monster movie trends and wanted to portray them as animals, with instincts. He wanted to avoid turning the dinosaurs in to "characters." He didn't want them to be killing machines. The T-rex wasn't Godzilla. It was an unpredictable animal, and Jurassic Park was a zoo.

Thinking back to Jurassic World, that movie kind of went in the complete opposite direction of all that, didn't it? Raptors had names. The T-rex became a piece of iconography. In that context, the Indominus was almost the movie's mary sue -- the strongest, scariest, coolest of them all. Until the fanservice got in the way.

Eh. Ehhhh.

And now Fallen Kingdom is doubling down on all of that

EHHHHH

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, Spielberg's whole thing with Jurassic Park is that he didn't want to just make a monster movie, wasn't it? He went out of his way to buck a lot of monster movie trends and wanted to portray them as animals, with instincts. He wanted to avoid turning the dinosaurs in to "characters." He didn't want them to be killing machines. The T-rex wasn't Godzilla. It was an unpredictable animal, and Jurassic Park was a zoo.

Thinking back to Jurassic World, that movie kind of went in the complete opposite direction of all that, didn't it? Raptors had names. The T-rex became a piece of iconography. In that context, the Indominus was almost the movie's mary sue -- the strongest, scariest, coolest of them all. Until the fanservice got in the way.

Eh. Ehhhh.

EHHHHH

I think it's a mix, for both movies.

He did want to redefine how the public thought of dinosaurs, largely in movement, behavior, etc. The Rex at the end is less a hero and more a "wow we got lucky". At the same time--the raptors basically are killing machines and I've heard some people refer to them as the villains of the first movie. Some die hard fans would state that "the big one" was something of a character, though the raptors were essentially indistinguishable.

Think about Jaws and how that impacted the public's perception of sharks. If raptors were a wild species today, how many people would think they are the Ultimate Killing Machines who live only to kill, after watching JP?

I actually really appreciated Jurassic World's attempt to make some dinosaurs into characters, because *that* is likely closer to real life. We have numerous examples of "wild" animals exhibiting specific behaviors and characteristics that make them unique, especially those who developed a bond with trainers while in captivity. The entire raptor subplot revolved around that, although it was clear that they were still wild.

Of course, the Indominus basically *was* a killing machine (you could argue they tried to explain this by saying it had been held in captivity and was lashing out/finding its place) and the pterasaurs were basically Movie Monsters. It's a strange movie that has its cake and wants to eat it, too.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Eh. Ehhhh.

EHHHHH

What about the end of The Lost World? That's pure Godzilla monster action, and it's directed by Spielberg.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the hybrids' hands. They don't look like animal arms, they look like humanoid monstrous hands. It really takes me out of the entire thing. They could do this well, they could do the indoraptor well, but when they start out with a scene where a hand with an opposable thumb reaches out for a child, we're in movie monster territory. Having a raptor fumble with a door handle to figure out it can open a door is an entirely different thing.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't like the hybrids' hands. They don't look like animal arms, they look like humanoid monstrous hands. It really takes me out of the entire thing. They could do this well, they could do the indoraptor well, but when they start out with a scene where a hand with an opposable thumb reaches out for a child, we're in movie monster territory. Having a raptor fumble with a door handle to figure out it can open a door is an entirely different thing.
Makes sense in regards what these gen-hybrids are supposed to be

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
What about the end of The Lost World? That's pure Godzilla monster action, and it's directed by Spielberg.

I mean, it is and it isn't. An angry elephant could rampage through San Francisco and that wouldn't be "pure Godzilla monster action."

When I bring up Godzilla, I'm bringing up the old Godzilla. The Godzilla that eventually was seen as a protector of Tokyo. A character with personality and intent. A lot has been said about the similarities between those old Godzilla movies and, like, professional wrestling. Toho's Godzilla always ends up kind of a defender of the earth (and that's why Shin Godzilla has been embraced as being this wildly different, fresh take on the franchise, because it's NOT that)

The T-Rex in the San Francisco rampage still acts like an animal, by and large. Just one that's redline on adrenaline. I mean, Dr. Harding straight up talks about how the first things it's going to do are look for a source of water and then food, and that's exactly what it does.

The mother Rex being so protective of her baby is similar to the way bears are with their young.

The final scene, once they coax the Rex below deck, calls to mind how big cats teach their offspring to hunt.

It's an animal. A very fearsome, dangerous animal. But it's not a monster, and it's not a personality.

Meanwhile, the Indominus is a fake "new" dinosaur who is smarter than them all, who kills for the fun of it, plays mind games like The Predator, etc.

Raptors are given names, there's a weird scene where it seems like they have to choose sides between going with the Indominus (who can "speak" to the dinosaurs and control them) or staying with Chris Pratt. The Indominus is given a moral compass; it isn't just a dangerous animal, it is an EVIL MONSTER.

The T-rex is coaxed out of her enclosure, the same T-rex from Jurassic Park, with the same scars in the same places, using road flares because that's the big character trait. She's not a T-rex, she's THE t-rex, the one everybody remembers. She's here to save the day again, called in to battle -- almost in to war -- against the Indominus. THAT'S a Godzilla moment.

And now we have Fallen Kingdom, where they have to go in and save everybody's favorite dinosaur characters, and there's more evil monsters to fight.

No sir, I don't like it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So was thinking about the topics made earlier . I can see why Jurassic Park as a franchise is moving more into monster movie . Despite where it started.

First off we're still not scientifically accurate. So why aim for that when you're already missing one key part?

Unlike in 1993 there's far more scientific dinosaur content to watch. Or that is aimed as such. I'd argue more monster film dinosaur content isn't really a thing.

The whole cloning angle. Probably the biggest piece. Since the parts that are going to be more monster movie are anything related to the indominus.

To me. Everything thus far feels like the natural progression of things for this film franchise. Aim more at all the dinosaurs, have the hybrids as monsters. Start aiming more at a Jurassic war style film at some point.

Can't really imagine how many movies can really last on a "these are animals" story every time. Without some sort of spice to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Nah, Jurassic War ain't happening.

Isn't dinosaurs as an invasive species/global "epidemic" more where the franchise is pointing, despite the hybrid focus of JW1 and JW2? Malcolm warning dinos may be here long after us in the trailer (in a sort of mirror of/follow up to Grant's "dinosaurs and man" monologue in JP) seems to be foreshadowing that. I think JW2 is the conclusion of hybrids.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nah, Jurassic War ain't happening.

Isn't dinosaurs as an invasive species/global "epidemic" more where the franchise is pointing, despite the hybrid focus of JW1 and JW2? Malcolm warning dinos may be here long after us in the trailer (in a sort of mirror of/follow up to Grant's "dionosaurs and man" monologue in JP) seems to be foreshadowing that. I think JW2 is the conclusion of hybrids.

I mean even with getting all those dinos off the island. Seems like it'd be a LONG time for that to up and happen where say a Trex running through San Fran happens on a consistent basis. I can see the argument though. But then we're shifting the series to being about animal rights and politics of what we should do with them. Which I mean is apparently part of what this movie is about. But I dunno how you'd carry that.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the whole "dinosaurs" on the mainland subplot finishes in this movie. I was afraid of Hybrids and trained raptors but JW handled it well. We've been promised that Jurassic War isn't going to happen. I'm guessing this movie will hint at the storyline like JW1 did but leave it at that, sort of a red herring.

I also want this movie to have an end, JP movies never finish in cliffhangers and it doesn't fit the franchise.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I trust the intent of the future of the franchise, I'm extremely skeptical of the execution.

The ideas they've been working with (other than the HYBRIDS/MILITARY) have been damn solid, but it's been lacking in the nuance that made Jurassic Park special. I do think Colin Trevorrow has some damn decent ideas.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
JurassicEra PSA: Chronicle's 1:1 Male Velociraptor bust goes up for preorder tomorrow, and will have a $200 discount for the first 30 days. Seriously considering switching my Female preorder for this; the pose is so much better and saving a couple hundred is hard to argue with.

46503179-9227-4ff1-b20qgf.jpeg

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ugh, I want the female Raptor color scheme on the males closed mouth sculpt, SO badly.

It's weird how good most of their products look, and then there is the travesty of the Sick Triceratops.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've got a soft spot for the male raptors from JPIII. I always thought they looked really cool.

Honestly the only ones I don't like are the Jurassic World ones. Like all the other creatures they're just plain off.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I trust the intent of the future of the franchise, I'm extremely skeptical of the execution.

The ideas they've been working with (other than the HYBRIDS/MILITARY) have been damn solid, but it's been lacking in the nuance that made Jurassic Park special. I do think Colin Trevorrow has some damn decent ideas.

Agreed, but I trust Bayona will put enough of a horror bent on the hybrid concept this time to keep it fresh. I do think this will be the end of the hybrid plot line though. Colin said this isn't a forever franchise like Star Wars, and they're planning to end it in part six. I'm sure whatever idea he has for the end will be good.

OP
OP
DemonCarnotaur

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Those toys are nothing. You all should watch Jurassic Oupost around 1pm EST, give or take tomorrow.

I'm in NYC for a few fun reasons!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So the trex in that Ready Player One Trialer though.

closest we're getting to a jurassic park movie directed by Spielberg again :D

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So that's it for today? I was kinda hoping there was more, because all of that looks pretty bad to my eyes. Weird sculpting and absolutely garbage paint jobs.

Oh well, money saved I suppose?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will we see more stuff tomorrow or is this it?

I was hoping to see for the 25th anniversary toyline Outpost reported back in June...

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at all the photos this is looking a lot better than I feared. It's odd how the new official photos makes it all look like, well, shit, while these photos makes them look really good. Very nice detail on some of them. Still not sold on all the paint jobs (paint the damn claws), but all in all much better.

As far as I can tell, they're pretty big too. Is the price list floating around accurate? Is that Carno, Trike etc only $20? If so, I might get a whole bunch of these. I do live in an expensive country, but these prices are just super cheap to me. Especially compared to what LEGO tends to charge for their sets.